Page 5 of 239 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

On my own buddy list
    Jun 2007
    Bristol RI

Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Skullclamping View Post
    Is that extra EE in the side needed?

Lately, I've been having some problems with Ichorid, anyone has any thoughts about it? Maybe I played my Crypts wrong, idk

And I like that Ur list, might be worth trying in my 'controlish meta (blue...)
    I have played against dreadstill quite a bit with ichorid. I think the white version has the best chance with swords. Also a super techy move is to hardcast you nought, and let it die to remove thier bridges.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Maagler View Post
    Also a super techy move is to hardcast you nought, and let it die to remove thier bridges.
    Mine ^
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Jul 2005
    Catalonia, Europe

Hammafist why did you run Oblivion Ring over Stp?

And yes, I already knew the "let your Nought die thing", but I'll try countering their discard outlets

awesomeness
    Jul 2007
    Germany

In a meta full of CB/Moat/Humility and other enchantment/artefact/noncreature stuff Oblivion Ring make perfect sense.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Ch@os View Post
    In a meta full of CB/Moat/Humility and other enchantment/artefact/noncreature stuff Oblivion Ring make perfect sense.
    This along with Chalice, 3Sphere, and everything that Swords can answer. It also gives me another 3 to reveal with CB.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

On my own buddy list
    Jun 2007
    Bristol RI

Quote Originally Posted by JanValentine00 View Post
    Mine ^
    props.

btw I love MOTL, i got 80% of the trading done for this deck in one day!

Would hammafist be interested in trading regular wastelands, and some other stuff for DCI wastelands?

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by Skullclamping View Post
    Is that extra EE in the side needed?

Lately, I've been having some problems with Ichorid, anyone has any thoughts about it? Maybe I played my Crypts wrong, idk

And I like that Ur list, might be worth trying in my 'controlish meta (blue...)
    OMG I cannot begin on how good the extra EE in the board was for me. I actually am considering upping the count to two in the side they are that crazy in the Threshold MU. Also, if Ichorid is rampant in your meta you may want to play a Black Splash Variant of Dreadstill with a sideboard of.

4x Crypts
    3x Jailers
    1x EE
    1x Needle
    3x Chill
    3x Echoing Truth
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

On my own buddy list
    Jun 2007
    Bristol RI

Quote Originally Posted by Roodmistah View Post
    OMG I cannot begin on how good the extra EE in the board was for me. I actually am considering upping the count to two in the side they are that crazy in the Threshold MU. Also, if Ichorid is rampant in your meta you may want to play a Black Splash Variant of Dreadstill with a sideboard of.

4x Crypts
    3x Jailers
    1x EE
    1x Needle
    3x Chill
    3x Echoing Truth

I might run leylines over jailers against ichorid. Although they are harder to hardcast, they are faster than jailers if you get them in your starting hand, which is what you want to be looking for anyways.

I might go

3 crypts (you can find them with trinket mage)
    4 leyline
    1-2 EE (very good against a range of decks)
    1 needle
    3 back to basics
    3-4 echoing truth

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Only problem with that is you'll probally only be running one dual and it's safer to go with Jailer over Leyline seeing if you topdeck Leyline it's a dead card sitting in hand against Ichorid.
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

On my own buddy list
    Jun 2007
    Bristol RI

what where the color variants being run yesterday? I think I saw Ug, Ur, Uw, and ? was there are Ub version? Forgot about the single dual. Anyways I like eather the red or white version the best. Green was interesting, with tarmagoyf but ultimately underpowered.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Breakdown from yesterdays metagame:
    2 UG Dreadstills (One with goyf! ;O)
    1 UR Dreadstill
    1 UW Dreadstill

The UR and UW made T8, however one of the UG Dreadstill players should have T8'd but a costly play error cost him a spot in T8.

Here's the list I'm running at the moment...

6 Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Tundra
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Quicksand

4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Trinket Mage

4 Stifle
    2 Trickbind
    4 Standstill
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Daze
    3 Spell Snare
    3 Counterbalance
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Engineered Explosives

Sideboard:
    4 Oblivion Ring
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Chill
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Threads of Disloyalty
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Plains

It's a fairly standard list except that it runs...
    -3 Wasteland
    +2 Quicksand
    +1 Polluted Delta

The reason for the extra fetchland is...

1.) I found only 13 blue sources to be too low at times, esp given that Counterbalance costs UU. I feel like I'm having to mulligan an otherwise perfect hand due to the lack of a blue source too often.

2.) Upping the number of fetchlands makes both Brainstorm and Top that much better.

The reason for running Quicksand over Wasteland is...

1.) I really haven't found Wasteland to be as worthwhile as Quicksand, even with the stifle effects. If you don't have an early Dreadnought, this can be a slow deck, esp thanks to Standstill. The wastelands don't do all that much there.

2.) Quicksand gives me a great way to deal with creatures, to shrink creatures down such that Trinket Mage and Mishra's Factory can kill them and survive, and to let me play Standstill even when they have a creature on the board.

3.) Being able to nuke Dark Confidants and Meddling Mages without having to waste a Force on them is tech.

Has anyone else had the same problems I've had?

What do you guys think of my list?

Mar 2007
    RI

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    3.) Being able to nuke Dark Confidants and Meddling Mages without having to waste a Force on them is tech.
    Who sends their Meddling Mage into a Quicksand? I feel like if your opponent is doing this you should be in good shape anyway given the given they are a horrible player.

Point 2 is a pretty solid one though, being able to shrink a 4/5 Goyf to a 3/3 and trade a Factory with it is pretty hawt. Although it is trading 2 land drops for a Goyf, its sort of a beating tempo-wise.

I would imagine it just comes down to meta/preference. If you don't run into a ton of opposing manlands, Academy Ruins, troublesome lands, then it might be more beneficial to have Quicksands at your disposal. If you want to complement the Stifles with Wastes and have an edge in manland battles and solutions to problem lands than Wasteland is probably the right call.

Otherwise your list looks really standard.
    TPDMC

Quicksand kills manlands too. But yeah, them having the option on whether or not to attack is a bummer. But it works well under Standstill (they can't attack with their manland even if you don't have one of your own if you have Quicksand on your side).

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Nm, it's attacking only I misread the card =D. Yeah I can't see running this over Waste, shutting down a colored mana is too crucial.

Thank you. I barely see goblins around here so please let me how well it works for you.

Jun 2006
    Germany

What do you guys think of playing Back to Basics in the board? To make them good we would have to remove the Watelands from the maindeck, but with Back to Basics we would have a real bomb, which simply tends to win games on its own quite often.(Would also make the manabase more stable) Normally bad matchups like 4 Color Landstill could be made pretty favorable with B2B.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by Muradin View Post
    What do you guys think of playing Back to Basics in the board? To make them good we would have to remove the Watelands from the maindeck, but with Back to Basics we would have a real bomb, which simply tends to win games on its own quite often.(Would also make the manabase more stable) Normally bad matchups like 4 Color Landstill could be made pretty favorable with B2B.
    I actually had B2B in my original build got dropped them due to the fact Landstill wasn't really around my metagame. I honestly think stabilizing our mana base and running B2B in the board could work out awesome in a Landstill-heavy meta.

Jun 2006
    Germany

Recently I've seen many different builds of this deck with different splashes in all colours. Those decks didn't differ in many slots, but still it seems to be easy to tweak this deck for a special metagame. So at the moment I am still thinking, which splash I should run if I decide to play this deck. First I am going to try it at a smaller legacy tournament (roughly 20 people)

My metagame has a lot of Aggro Loam decks, Landstill, ******** and Ichorid. The rest is Survival(GWB mostly) with decks like Dragon Stompy, Truffle Shuffle and Epic storm popping up sometimes.
    Notable is, that there are more or less no Goblins and very little real random decks.
    Would dreadstill in general be a good choice in such a meta?
    What would be a viable plan against Krosan Grip?
    In which matchups am I the agressor? Where should I dig and mulligan for Stifle + Nought and where should I play control?

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

I'd say the Red splash version of DS would probally be best for that meta REB is highly effective against both Landstill and Threshold. Aggro Loam, Dragonstompy, and Survival are already fairly good matchups already. Also, it's a common misconception if you don't have Stifle/Nought in hand to mulligan. A slow hand with DS is perfectly fine in most matchups Standstill on itself will win you alot of games in alot of those matchups you listed. Krosan Grip you have to play around, like bait it out with a Counterbalance or force them to use it on Factory beats.

Thread Information