Page 51 of 239 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 4766

Thread: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Nov 2008
    Finland

Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Quote Originally Posted by deadlock View Post

Most of the time its Warrens Weirding in multiples that gives me trouble and i dont want to talk about Krosan Grip..
    Asume that they have put down a Lackey and then Fetch on turn 2, is it good to Stifle here or to keep the Stifle and try to get Nought asap?
    Regarding Wasteland, i do like you said if i dont plan to play Standstill, where i try to keep them for there Wastelands to hit with Mishras.
    That depends what you have in hand. If you have counterbackup, i would drop nought. Then opponent have 2 turns left to answer your nought or die away. If you stifle fetch and then don't have another stifle in hand you give opponent time to find some answers or/and new threats.

And that wasteland still, i try to avoid dropping that if it's possible. Opponent has many time fetch taiga or plateau (he plays rgw-goblins) because i don't have wasteland in play. Sometimes i have won game by manascrewing opponent when he fetch first taiga, then drop lackey or vial and i daze it. Then i play wasteland and destroy his only land. They sometimes trust that vial / lackey too much so they can start with only one land.

Nov 2008
    Finland

Have anyone played recently against Merfolks? Just thinking what kinda matchup that is because vials, standstills and mutavaults from opponent. Countertop is good there and EE will shine too, right? How about our side? Do we side out all standstills for REBs/Echoing truths(resolved LoA is going to be problem if not solved quick)? Any comments are welcome :)

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

I have played against merfolk lists that aren't quite the normal build. Counter/Top is OK, EE sort of sucks since their cc's are different and it is a bit slow.

Again your MVP's here would be Pyroclasm or Firespout but you don't want to play them.

Personally I would take out all my Standstills and if necessary an EE or 2 to put in: REB, Pyroclasm/Firespout, and PITHING NEEDLE because vial will own you.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Yeah like most tribal decks, merfolk can give Dreadstill a run for its money. -Standstills +Rebs, Firespouts/Echoing truth tends to be the strategy against them.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Nov 2008
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
    I have played against merfolk lists that aren't quite the normal build. Counter/Top is OK, EE sort of sucks since their cc's are different and it is a bit slow.

Again your MVP's here would be Pyroclasm or Firespout but you don't want to play them.

Personally I would take out all my Standstills and if necessary an EE or 2 to put in: REB, Pyroclasm/Firespout, and PITHING NEEDLE because vial will own you.
    Yep, i just forget that needle. That's obvious. How your games went against that list? Did it play mutavaults and wastelands or just either one?

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Quote Originally Posted by Atog View Post
    Yep, i just forget that needle. That's obvious. How your games went against that list? Did it play mutavaults and wastelands or just either one?
    They had mutavaults and my results don't help you, Pyroclasm and Firespout DESTROYED them. The game I didn't draw one I lost.
    Last edited by jazzykat; 12-30-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Grammar

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Merfolk is a very very tough matchup even with removal/REBs postboard. Try to get lucky if you can G1 and G2-G3 it's probally about a 50/50 matchup. I'd say it's the toughest out of the tribal decks for Dreadstill.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Buttscratcher?
    Aug 2007
    Germany

Well they have not much out for an early Nought, have they?
    At least thats the way I win games against this deck.
    Team Legal Actions. What else?

Check out my All-Commons Cube on MTGS.

Cash Money Baller
    Nov 2007
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by FredMaster View Post
    Well they have not much out for an early Nought, have they?
    At least thats the way I win games against this deck.
    Yeah, i have played 3 matches against Merfolk and I have never dropped a game. Run Spell Snare. As long as you can control Lord of Atlantis and Aether Vial, they don't really get ahead. Goyf is better then weenies and Factory is better than Mutavault. If they are running a splash, thats just gravy because that means you can Stifle their fetches and Waste their duals. Nought is a beating.

This is my Dreadstill: (list of standard Rodney Hannigan ... I think the best ... the Ur version allows us a first perfect game by Mono U .. 2 game in our strategy is implemented by cards MU improve our worst:

creatures

4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    3 Mage trinket

instant

4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    3 Spell Snare
    4 Stifle
    2 Trickbind

enchantment

3 counterbalance
    4 Standstill

artifact

2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Sensei's Divining Top

land

3 Flooded Strand
    6 Island
    4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Volcanic Island
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard:

3 Blue Elemental Blast
    2 echoing Truth
    1 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Magus of the Moon

The side as I said earlier adverse MU improves some of this deck ... I Think the real problem with the exit of Pyroclasm is the worsening of MU to Goblin ... there are BEB and EE but could nn enough ... some criticism or suggestions?

is Einstein's most famous equation

Nov 2008
    Syracuse, NY

@Rodney Before my last tourney I switched out my Firespouts for Magus of the Moon, and in he first round I faced Merfolk. I got slaughtered. If you expect to face a lot of aggro I would think that Firespout would go in the MotM slot.

I have question about facing TES and ANT, as I expect to see a lot of it at the Winter Wonderland tourney. What do people board them against it, and how do you play against them?

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

What build are you going to be playing? I'll give you a sideboarding strategy and play by play for both.
    Team Hammafist
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Nov 2008
    Syracuse, NY

I play the standard Ur list, with MotM in the board to deal with all the 3c Threshold.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by e=mc^2 View Post
    @Rodney Before my last tourney I switched out my Firespouts for Magus of the Moon, and in he first round I faced Merfolk. I got slaughtered. If you expect to face a lot of aggro I would think that Firespout would go in the MotM slot.

I have question about facing TES and ANT, as I expect to see a lot of it at the Winter Wonderland tourney. What do people board them against it, and how do you play against them?
    Sideboarding strategies against TES

-2 Dreadnought
    -1 Daze

+3 BEB
    is normally how I go against them now. E-truth used to be good against them and still can be, but they rely on ETW alot less now.

ANT you normally want to bring in REBs instead of BEBs but the sideboarding strategy still remains the same for the most part.

The best way to beat these decks is just beat them down with Factories...don't really rely on too much else just control them and get in there with Factories. We run so much disruption that most of the time they can't really handle it.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Nov 2008
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Roodmistah View Post

-2 Dreadnought
    -1 Daze

+3 BEB
    is normally how I go against them now. E-truth used to be good against them and still can be, but they rely on ETW alot less now.

ANT you normally want to bring in REBs instead of BEBs but the sideboarding strategy still remains the same for the most part.

The best way to beat these decks is just beat them down with Factories...don't really rely on too much else just control them and get in there with Factories. We run so much disruption that most of the time they can't really handle it.
    Against TES we should safe counters for.. Ad Nauseam, Burning wish and Infernal Tutor, Orim's chant? Those take quite much resource at least if we won't get fast countertop online.

And against ANT i guess Ad Nauseam, Infernal Tutor and Mystical tutor? How about first turn LED? That enables to operate with IGG what we wont't want or should we just safe counters for that IGG?

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Against TES we should safe counters for.. Ad Nauseam, Burning wish and Infernal Tutor, Orim's chant? Those take quite much resource at least if we won't get fast countertop online.

And against ANT i guess Ad Nauseam, Infernal Tutor and Mystical tutor? How about first turn LED? That enables to operate with IGG what we wont't want or should we just safe counters for that IGG?
    Your goal in this matchup is to drop a Counterbalance. They can barely win after you've dropped one. Aside from that, Standstill is a very strong turn 2 drop as well. Always counter the Chant, even if you don't have any other counters, because this will cut him off IGG.

Don't counter LED, except with Counterbalance (and be careful here if you have a top, keep mana open for other spells). Counter Infernal Tutor if the hand is empty. Counter Burning Wish if the TES player has 4 mana open and you don't have an answer to EtW. If his had is empty while playing Wish, counter it anyway. Always counter AdN of course. Mystical Tutor shouldn't be countered in my opinion, but it might actually be good sometimes, if you somehow manage to be certain he will be looking for his buisness spell.
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

Nov 2008
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamuth View Post
    Your goal in this matchup is to drop a Counterbalance. They can barely win after you've dropped one. Aside from that, Standstill is a very strong turn 2 drop as well. Always counter the Chant, even if you don't have any other counters, because this will cut him off IGG.

Don't counter LED, except with Counterbalance (and be careful here if you have a top, keep mana open for other spells). Counter Infernal Tutor if the hand is empty. Counter Burning Wish if the TES player has 4 mana open and you don't have an answer to EtW. If his had is empty while playing Wish, counter it anyway. Always counter AdN of course. Mystical Tutor shouldn't be countered in my opinion, but it might actually be good sometimes, if you somehow manage to be certain he will be looking for his buisness spell.
    Thank you for good coverage and advices :) Just thinking that burning wish if i have Dreadnought in play, they can get shattering spree or something else answer. I haven't play more than five games against those decks so just trying to figure by decklists what is must-counter.

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Thank you for good coverage and advices :) Just thinking that burning wish if i have Dreadnought in play, they can get shattering spree or something else answer. I haven't play more than five games against those decks so just trying to figure by decklists what is must-counter.
    That's true, but I still don't think it would be worth the counter then. If they are forced to waste buisness spells on your clock, you're in a good position anyway.

You can counter if your Dreadnought kills him next turn of course.
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

Nov 2008
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Roodmistah View Post

-2 Dreadnought
    -1 Daze

+3 BEB

Against ANT you would bring in REB's to counter their cantrips?

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by e=mc^2 View Post
    Against ANT you would bring in REB's to counter their cantrips?
    Yes exactly, stopping them from setting up is key against them since for the most part if you let them sculpt a god hand without CB/T They will just bust in your eyes even if you have 2-3 counters, so simply don't let them get the resources, also I have a slight disagreement with Rodney's Sideboarding plan:
    Against TES:
    -2 Trinket Mage
    -2 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    +3 Blue Elemental Blast
    +1 Pithing Needle (For Vexing Shusher)

Against ANT
    -1 Trinket Mage
    -2 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    +3 Red Elemental Blast
    Team Hammafist

Thread Information