Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Roodmistah View Post
    Sideboarding strategies against TES

-2 Dreadnought
    -1 Daze
    +3 BEB
    Am I the only one who boards out 1 basic Island against combo and other shaz that doesn't disrupt your manabase at all?

Rood, as much as I respect your overall Dreadstill skills, I gotta say your boarding approach against TES is flawed.
    You don't want to board out counters against super-fast combo and boarding out 2 of the spells that read "counter one relevant spell and I'll race him for sure" doesn't seem wise either.
    Your approach is more suitable against FT, since you'll need your Stifles for their fetchlands (TES doesn't run any obviously) - the speed that you gain that way and the fact that FT needs more land to go off let's you get there via Factories, which imo are much worse against TES as our primary killcon.

My suggestion (UR DS VS. TES):
    +3 BEB
    -1 Island
    -1 Standstill (you never want to drop it turn 2)
    -1 Dreadnought (if you're running 4)/ -1 Trickbind (if you're running 3)

Nov 2008
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post
    +3 BEB
    -1 Island
    Why you don't want to drop it turn 2? Because you want play nought or counterbalance on turn to or what..? And don't you think that trinket mage is too slow against TES? Like you said it's "super fast combo".

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post
    Am I the only one who boards out 1 basic Island against combo and other shaz that doesn't disrupt your manabase at all?

Rood, as much as I respect your overall Dreadstill skills, I gotta say your boarding approach against TES is flawed.
    You don't want to board out counters against super-fast combo and boarding out 2 of the spells that read "counter one relevant spell and I'll race him for sure" doesn't seem wise either.
    Your approach is more suitable against FT, since you'll need your Stifles for their fetchlands (TES doesn't run any obviously) - the speed that you gain that way and the fact that FT needs more land to go off let's you get there via Factories, which imo are much worse against TES as our primary killcon.

+3 BEB
    -1 Island
    Boarding out an Island is something I would never do, risking the chance of not drawing enough land and losing against TES is something I would never take the chance of doing. Standstill is still good against them, if anything it buys you time to sculp a god hand full of answers to stop them...I can't see boarding these out either. I think you don't want anymore then 2 Dreadnoughts against him, normally you're not willing to burn a Stifle on him because even if you could drop him I'd feel better beating with Factory and keeping the Stifle when they try to combo. There are situation where this changes, but most of the time I like to keep my Stifles/Trickbinds. I agree my approach probally wasn't optimal I think that

-2 Dreadnought
    -1 Trinket Mage
    +3 BEB
    seems a bit better
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Boarding out an Island is something I would never do, risking the chance of not drawing enough land and losing against TES is something I would never take the chance of doing. Standstill is still good against them, if anything it buys you time to sculp a god hand full of answers to stop them...I can't see boarding these out either. I think you don't want anymore then 2 Dreadnoughts against him, normally you're not willing to burn a Stifle on him because even if you could drop him I'd feel better beating with Factory and keeping the Stifle when they try to combo. There are situation where this changes, but most of the time I like to keep my Stifles/Trickbinds. I agree my approach probally wasn't optimal I think that

-2 Dreadnought
    -1 Trinket Mage
    +3 BEB
    seems a bit better
    Saving Stifle against both TES and ANT is far from as good as you might think. As both TES and ANT have the option of going for Ad Nauseam, the Stifle you keep will not be usefull at all in stopping the AdN. If the AdN resolves, the combo player should always cast more protection before trying the Tendrils. Especially ANT is very good at that.

Dropping a turn 2 Dreadnought might seem risky, but, again especially against ANT, both your Spell Snare and Stifle aren't that good at all. I think it will be worth it to play a turn 2 Dreadnought most of the time on the play. Chopping 12 life away makes their AdN much much worse.
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

Montreal's legacy scene
    Sep 2008
    Montreal

In UGR or UGWr build, I take off Goyfs for 3x REB's to counter mysticals.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

seems a bit better
    Seconding Bahamuth:
    Stifle/Trickbind are really bad against no-fetchlands-combo.dec. (beyond supporting Dreadnought)

Again, the problem with Factory as your killcon is that it requires you to tap 2 lands for each attack and usually I want at least 2 lands for CB actions plus one land for Spell Snare, BS and what not.

My general strategy against fast combo, and I've made exclusively positive experiences with it, is:
    - keep a and with FOW or Daze (mull to 5 if neccessary)
    - counter relevant stuff
    - assemble CB+Top (which is why T. Mage is still OK.)
    - beat down with whatever
    -----
    1-2 REB's are an option if you see some Ponders G1 (Brainstorm, Mystical are always worthy targets), Pact of Negation has also to be accounted for, and progressive ANT lists have adopted Spell Snares (emidln style)
    Just thinking.
    ---

@Atog:
    CB is the only spell I'd be willing to tap for on turn 2, unless your opponent has mulled to 4 .

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    In UGR or UGWr build, I take off Goyfs for 3x REB's to counter mysticals.
    Siding out Dreadnoughts seems significantly better so you can use your Stifles on Fetches/Storm. Also don't you run swords? If so they should be coming out.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Nov 2006

I don't understand why you just don't board out 3 Trinket Mage. What's it going to do? Find Explosives? Certainly not against ANT, and TES will only attempt an EtW turn 1 or maybe 2, in which case the Mage is too slow.

-Ertai, wizard adept

Nov 2008
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamuth View Post
    I don't understand why you just don't board out 3 Trinket Mage. What's it going to do? Find Explosives? Certainly not against ANT, and TES will only attempt an EtW turn 1 or maybe 2, in which case the Mage is too slow.
    It can be pitched to FoW just when you don't need it. And you don't want to leave all four noughts in against deck you can use your stifles / trickbinds agaist then efficiently than usual. Also nought is a dead card in hand if you spend your stifles and trickbinds to tendrils or EtW. You know that too :)

Nov 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Atog View Post
    It can be pitched to FoW just when you don't need it. And you don't want to leave all four noughts in against deck you can use your stifles / trickbinds agaist then efficiently than usual. Also nought is a dead card in hand if you spend your stifles and trickbinds to tendrils or EtW. You know that too :)
    If you manage to spend your Stifles on Tendrils or EtW, you already won, in which case it doesn't matter if you have a dead card in hand. I can see why you don't want to leave 4 Dreadnought in, but I'd not board out more than one then.

Pitching to FoW is hardly an argument, since your entire deck does that. Leaving in cards just because they pitch to FoW is never a good idea. Also, you will barely ever need them, and when you do, chances are he's too slow.

-Ertai, wizard adept

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamuth View Post
    Pitching to FoW is hardly an argument, since your entire deck does that. Leaving in cards just because they pitch to FoW is never a good idea. Also, you will barely ever need them, and when you do, chances are he's too slow.
    I have to completely disagree since every other blue card in your deck is good against storm and being able to save them is a big deal, Also something that your not giving him credit for is that he grabs top in this matchup. If you land CB/T you are going to win like 90% of the time.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

is Einstein's most famous equation

Nov 2008
    Syracuse, NY

The biggest problem I have with combo is chant. I believe the only counter in the deck that can handle it is FoW. So, unless you have a Counterbalance out all they have to do is Duress the FoW or play multiple chants.

Montreal's legacy scene
    Sep 2008
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by J.V. View Post
    Siding out Dreadnoughts seems significantly better so you can use your Stifles on Fetches/Storm. Also don't you run swords? If so they should be coming out.
    The swords are now in SB. They've replaced by Spell snares.

About the Dreadnought: I find he's good against ANT because he puts pressure on them to combo quickly and not necessarily have all their disrupts cards.

Sep 2008
    315 New York

Alright so I played Dreadstill at the WW event. I played a basic list with a tiny change in the sb due to not having Echoing Truth (lol..). So I ended up going 4-3 fail.. I went 4-1 losing to Lam and his Canadian Thresh deck. And the going 0-2 to Di's Elf Survival and some guys GBW Survival. Although the Elf Survival was close. Anyone got a strategy vs. them I had never played against a survival deck before.. And also Trinket Mage is the MVP in this deck by far.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

So I also played Dreadstill at the Winter Wonderland to a disappointing 4-3 finish after starting out 3-0. My first hand of the tournament had the turn 2 Naught with Force backup. However, it was all downhill from there, as I only saw one more hand involving a turn 2 Naught. I beat Goblins, UGb Thresh, Tendrils and RG Beats, losing to the Tendrils list that T8ed, the 4c Counterbalance deck and Counterslivers. I don't think the Ur list has enough removal, and Naught felt fragile as hell for most of the day.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Sep 2008
    315 New York

Quote Originally Posted by Whit3 Ghost View Post
    So I also played Dreadstill at the Winter Wonderland to a disappointing 4-3 finish after starting out 3-0. My first hand of the tournament had the turn 2 Naught with Force backup. However, it was all downhill from there, as I only saw one more hand involving a turn 2 Naught. I beat Goblins, UGb Thresh, Tendrils and RG Beats, losing to the Tendrils list that T8ed, the 4c Counterbalance deck and Counterslivers. I don't think the Ur list has enough removal, and Naught felt fragile as hell for most of the day.
    What color would you suggest for removal, would you go white or black?

White because STP and enlightened tutor are superior cards to other color

E.Tutor is a very interesting addition because it helps the deck getting the missing CB/top combo card. It can also fetch landstill, dreadnought and/or any other artifact enchant from the deck

Robert

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Mafia View Post
    What color would you suggest for removal, would you go white or black?
    I have no idea. I don't think I'm going to be playing the deck seriously for the next while, but I'd have to think that Swords is going to be your best option.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Sep 2008
    315 New York

Quote Originally Posted by Whit3 Ghost View Post
    I have no idea. I don't think I'm going to be playing the deck seriously for the next while, but I'd have to think that Swords is going to be your best option.
    Yeah. I don't know what I'm gonna do haha. I love this deck and all but idk yet.

Jul 2008
    The Moon

I personally love enlightened tutor in this deck for several reasons. First of all, as mentioned before, it can grab either piece of the countertop combo. It can also grab dreadnought turn one at EoT so that you can play a turn 2 nought. Finally, it lets you run a toolbox either sideboard or mainboard (or both). Some things it can grab that trinket mage can't that I like are crucible, serenity, oblivion ring and lightning greaves. It also grabs E. Explosives turn 1 in case of an early Empty the Warrens. I just think that trinket mage is too slow. I know E. tutor gives you card disadvantage, but I think it is still worth it.

Thread Information