Thread: BW Pox

BW Pox

Hi,
    i am still trying to build a good and competetive deck abusing Smallpox. This is my current build:

Lands
    4 [B] Scrubland
    4 [DDE] Swamp (2)
    4 [MPR] Wasteland
    4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
    1 [OD] Plains (3)
    4 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (1)
    2 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

// Spells
    4 [R] Swords to Plowshares
    2 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
    4 [A] Sinkhole
    4 [JGC] Vindicate
    4 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 [TO] Chainer's Edict
    2 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    3 [FD] Night's Whisper
    4 [TSP] Smallpox
    4 [FE] Hymn to Tourach (4)
    4 [SH] Mox Diamond
    1 [US] Duress

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [TO] Chainer's Edict
    SB: 4 [GP] Leyline of the Void
    SB: 3 [7E] Engineered Plague
    SB: 1 [HOP] Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 4 [DS] Pulse of the Fields
    SB: 2 [NE] Seal of Cleansing

Interesting aswell:
    SB: 1 [LRW] Ajani Goldmane
    SB: 2 [TE] Humility
    SB: 1 [LG] Moat

I am still looking for a good card vs Burn, Sligh and Zoo. Right now it`s Pulse, but it seems underwhelming. Perhaps i should try Ajani.

I am also seaching for good artefacts and Enchantments for this deck, becasue they are unaffected by Smallpox

What are your thoughts on that list?

I'm With Very Stupid
    Dec 2007

Re: BW Pox

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?5496-[Deck]-Vaka-Pox&highlight=vaka+pox

A full thread of BW Pox for your delight...

From that thread claudio.r linked to, Ghostly Prison and Trinisphere both seem strong especially since you're playing Mox Diamond.

The mana curve of Pox should normally end at 3 because it sacrifices lands a lot, so there isn't much point in Elspeth or Chainer's Edict. Tombstalker is considerably better than Elspeth as a win condition. Also I don't think Pox should play Night's Whisper. Thoughtseize is much better than Inquisition.

Mox Diamond looks interesting but you may need 3 Crucible of Worlds to take full advantage of it.

Pox doesn't actually sacrifice too many lands, especially the Poxless build. Also, while Thoughtseize is usually better than Inquisition, Thoughtseize makes the already-bad aggro matchup even worse.

@unicoerner: You might want to use Nether Spirit, especially in a build that would otherwise have no other creatures. Speaking of which, most newer Pox builds have more than one threat to finish the game.(the most control-oriented ones use about 6 creatures, midrange usually uses about 9, and faster builds use about 11-13) Furthermore, depending on your meta, you might want to run more Duress. Force of Will and Daze really wreck Pox.

Thread Information