Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] The Servant's Stone

Source Random
    Aug 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

Re: The Servant's Stone

IMO the strength of this combo is its versatility. You can run it in any deck that supports Trinket Mage. I think the idea of a transformational sideboard has been underused in Legacy. You could do some pretty wacky things with this combo. Let's say your playing Threshold (white splash). You could have in your sideboard:

x4 Enlightened Tutor
    x4 Grindstone
    x4 Painter's Servant
    x3 Trinket Mage

Surprise! I'm a combo deck now!

Another thing I like about this combo is that it is faster than the Time Vault combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    This thread disgusts me. Carry on.

REANIMATOR SUPREME
    Mar 2005
    San Diego

how about this... a BW deck.

turn 1.

Scrub..
    play lions eye diamond
    tap scrub for black
    play dark ritual...
    play stone
    play other dude
    pop lions eye ... win.

^_^
    Id like to milk that oreo... split it in half...and lick all that sweet sweet candy off. mmmmm... oreos....

Source Random
    Aug 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by rodgon666 View Post
    how about this... a BW deck.
    If you want the combo to be your main win condition, you need maindeck or else you are vulnerable to disruption.

Quote Originally Posted by rodgon666 View Post
    ^_^
    Ô_Ô

Quote Originally Posted by revenge_inc View Post
    If you want the combo to be your main win condition, you need maindeck or else you are vulnerable to disruption.
    [/SIZE]
    Or black to disrupt first; I can see the combo fitting into a pox style deck quite nicely.

Of course, if it ever becomes too popular, Pithing Needle foils it pretty easily and it's not like Krosan Grip isn't played.

Still, it makes an interesting transformational sideboard possibility and has the potential to be ridiculous in multiplayer games.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

What about a green splash for tarmogoyf (oh yeah) and Living Wish? If not Tarmgoyf, then Living Wish should at the least be considered. It's also a beast against extirpate :)

Anyway, sweet combo, I like to see that be performed in action. Too bad Painter's Servant can't be grabbed with Trinket Mage.

Transmute Artifact could also be a solution. You would then have to play some 2cc artifacts (obv.), like Umezawa's Jitte? Hey, I got it! An affinity backup plan, or is this too janky?

EDIT: Oh, I am blind! I see that Happy Gilmore already got the idea. Never mind what I said about affinity.
    "You're English is terrible and inconsistent."

-DownSyndromeKarl

There's also Painter's Servant + Deathgrip/Lifeforce
    Last edited by rufus; 04-21-2008 at 09:30 AM. Reason: I M idiot

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

This combo is one of the best ones in legacy. But you have to run it like a control combo deck, that can win fairly easily on turn 4.

Mana 20
    7 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Tundra
    2 Academy Ruins
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Seat of Synod

Cantrip/Draw/Search: 17
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Thirst for Knowledge
    3 Trinket Mage
    3 SDT

Permission: 11
    4 FoW
    3 Counterbalance
    4 Counterspell

Combo : 7
    3 Grindstone
    4 Painter's Servant

Misc: 3
    3 EE

2 Meta slots among
    1 Needle
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Powder Keg

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Painter's servant also enables Reap pretty well. I kind of like this new card now.

Yes, Painter's Servant probably has a lot of uses to be discovered. I don't think I like Enlightened Tutor in a deck that already features so much search. Is the splash really worth it for just this card?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo
    Writing Skills

...use coherent grammar and sentence structure; and spell your words correctly. Simple enough.

Nov 2006
    Hungary

The biggest problem for this deck is called Swords to Plowshares. Thank the FSM you don't have to tap the Servant itself, but they can still remove it whenever you decide to Grind them.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Which is not really a problem, because you'll find another one or you'll counterspell/balance, or you'll bring it back with academy ruins. The biggest problems are more grips and extirpates.

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Illissius View Post
    The biggest problem for this deck is called Swords to Plowshares. Thank the FSM you don't have to tap the Servant itself, but they can still remove it whenever you decide to Grind them.
    You could splash green for Goyf, or put in Stiflenaught, that way they have to use their plows on the big guys or die. Also gives you another way to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    Which is not really a problem, because you'll find another one or you'll counterspell/balance, or you'll bring it back with academy ruins.
    Painter isnt coming back via Ruins if he gets Plowed. Just sayin.
    info.ninja

Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    Painter isnt coming back via Ruins if he gets Plowed. Just sayin.
    You could always try to mill yourself with Grindstone, trying to get one into the graveyard and then bring it back with Academy Ruins

I have not tested this deck yet although I may start it seems rather interesting. As a side idea could we try running abeyance and chant as proactive protection similar to the style of Fetchland Tendrils (my current weapon of choice) It seems really good in theory although I'm not really sure it could be run in the current UW list that is on here from Maveric. Though for the record Maveric I highly disagree that this is one of the best combos in legacy... It is way to new to be saying something like that. It hasnt even put up a T8 since it has been out for less then a month (spoiler wise).

"Catches Bullets With His Teeth?"
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by nodahero View Post
    It is way to new to be saying something like that. It hasnt even put up a T8 since it has been out for less then a month (spoiler wise).

WTF; you can't even play with the card yet! This combo is compact and available to every color, at first glance it seems very strong

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Rings/Vault is the baseline. Relatively, Servant/Stone is a bit faster -- one fewer mana total, and doesn't require waiting a turn to activate -- but is vulnerable to creature removal. The former didn't rip up the format, and I doubt the latter will either. It's comparable to Swan/Chain which costs the same total mana and has many of the same vulnerabilities (and was introduced with the same set), and to Cephalid Breakfast, which costs half the mana but is vulnerable to even more things. So it could be pretty decent, but I doubt anything more than that.

Completely tangential note: I sometimes wish Illusionary Mask were legal, so you could run Counter-Top and Mask(/Stifle)-Nought in the same deck and use Enlightened Tutor to find either.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

The Best of Both Worlds
    Aug 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    WTF; you can't even play with the card yet!
    That's no excuse!

The mirror match with would be stupid - whoever plays Painter's Servant first loses.

Triple-Ö

Dec 2007
    Germany

Wouldn't Misdirection be a great protection spell with Painter's Servant already out?
    If you set the servant to blue you can pitch everything to protect it from spot removal.

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Silthyn View Post
    You could always try to mill yourself with Grindstone, trying to get one into the graveyard and then bring it back with Academy Ruins
    I dont follow. The fact that Plow RFG's Painter is mutually exclusive to the Grindstone/Academy interaction.
    info.ninja

Source Random
    Aug 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Spectör View Post
    Wouldn't Misdirection be a great protection spell with Painter's Servant already out?
    If you set the servant to blue you can pitch everything to protect it from spot removal.
    I love how we are already discussing the mirror match of a combo deck that doesn't even have an agreed upon decklist. The first step is deciding what colours the deck should be. My thoughts:
    -not red, wtf does this colour do to speed up, find or protect your combo? Nothing.
    -not green, this combo is too cheap for mana accel to be really relevant. I don't see what this colour offers either.
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    You could splash green for Goyf
    Not every deck in the format needs a goyf.

Thread Information