Page 195 of 279 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197198199205245 ... LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,900 of 5564

Thread: [Deck] UW(x) Landstill

Jan 2010
    Germany, NRW

Re: [Deck] UW(x) Landstill

I don't get a part of yoir point: You mentioned that you're gonna cut DoJ down to 1 because it seems to slow in the current Meta, on the other hand you have to break your own Standstill due to enemys Manlands. If you'd run 2 or even 3 DoJ's (3 seems to much but 2 should be fine) it should improve your game under a Standstill.
    I personally run a 3/3 Split between Factory and Wasteland and it worked fine so far, I can't really imagine to cut down the Factorys to 2 or even 1.

@ Julian23: Is there a reason why Wasteland has quite playing Ur Dreadstill?
    Our music means nothing, except for what it means to
    you.

Hallo

After a long break from Mtg and Legacy, I`ve decieded that it`s time for a comeback. I came up to running Landstill with the R-Splash, because my local meta will be Aggro at most (Meerfolks, Zoo, Eva Green, Goblins) and it`s the only deck I could build with my current card pool . So i think Landstill isn`t the worst choice. It would be great if some of the experienced landstill players could give me some feedback on my following list.

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Counterspell
    3 Spell Snare

4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Path to Exile
    2 Wrath of God (maybe Firespout I`m not sure)
    2 Enginereed Explosives
    1 Humility

4 Standstill
    2 Cunning Wish
    1 Sensei`s Divining Top
    1 Crucible of Worlds

2 Elspeth
    1 Ajani Vengeant
    1 Decree of Justice

4 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Plateau
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Scalding Tarn
    4 Mishra`s Factory
    1 Wasteland
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 Island
    2 Plains

I`m not sure how the sideboard should look exactly, but I think, I throw a lot of combo and reanimate hate in, for dealing with them. And should I cut down the land count from 24 to 23 and adding a Sword, Explosives or Top? Thanks for your answers and sorry for my bad English!

Gold-Member

May 2009
    New York, USA

@ Felidae: Thats a good point you make, heres my explanation. I use 3 Standstill and have been using 2 DoJ in the deck. Its not often when I have an active Standstill out with a DoJ in my hand, along with enough mana to make it useful (at least 5 mana for cycling). 5 mana is the minimum needed to at least trade with a lone manland. Often times DoJ just sat in my hand because I didn't have enough to make it worthwhile or just didn't have iot when needed. I'd play it when I had no other choice and hopefully I was able to at least trade with them, but then they proceed to beat with another. 2 DoJ wasn't enough to consistently draw it when I needed it and 3 would likely be too much in today's faster environment. 1 is obviously not enough to draw it early but still often does a good job when cast and its not sitting in my hand waiting for lands. When it works, DoJ is an insanely powerful card and very useful for a finisher, but I cut it to 1 at least temporarily to see how things work.

A 3/3 split between Factory and Wasteland is interesting and would certainly work as well I imagine, but I'd fear that I would have too many colorless sources (I also use 1 Academy Ruins). Has that been alright for you?

Jan 2010
    Germany, NRW

I guess it will depend on your Version. If you run Uwb with black only as a source to set EE@3 and for some SB stuff it should be no problem (being able to fetch for some Basics at the beginning to avoid Wasteland) 6-8 off colourd sources might work. Uwr looks a bit tougher.
    you.

Mar 2010
    Wisconsin :(

Hey everyone! I've been working on my own version of UW Landstill and was hoping to get some feedback. This is my list at the moment:

4 Tundra
    4 Flooded Strand
    5 Plains
    4 Island
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Mutavault

1 Wrath of God
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Path to Exile
    2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Humility

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Counterspell
    4 Counterbalance
    3 Sensei's Divining Top

4 Standstill
    1 Elspeth
    1 Ajani Goldmane
    3 Decree of Justice
    1 Eternal Dragon

I do not use Wastelands because legacy is very underdeveloped in my area and I do not have any Mishra's Factories (yet). Feel free to tear this list apart. :)

just wants to cuddle
    Jan 2006
    Geneseo NY

19 land is about 4 less than you should be playing. I'm amazed you hit your 4 drops, really ever. The ajani should probably be an elspeth, and 3 doj looks heavy. Also, your cb curve looks super low, like you have a tiny chance of hitting anything other than 1cc. Any particular reason you're running that over another counter package?
    I'm here to kick ass and play card games.

BZK

Mar 2010

First off, thanks for the tips. I've never played a deck quite like this one so it's kind of foreign to me. Anyway, I'm a fan of the CounterTop engine because players in my area have no idea how to deal with it. It pretty much means gg because they are afraid of having anything countered and play the draw-go game while I build my board up. It does seem kind of clunky though, any suggestions for a stronger counter package? My meta mostly consists of elves, goblins, zoo, and various rogue aggro decks.

Jan 2010
    Germany, NRW

For an aggro heavy meta like yours I'd play more cheap board sweapers like Firespout to deal with small stuff. Besides your 8 StP effects you should have no problem to deal with any kind of aggro.
    Ajani seems out of place in your list, the same goes for the CB. All of the major decks you mentioned (Goblins/Elves/Zoo) have acces to Krosan Grip post board and I guess they will figure out that it is a blast against CB and Humility pretty soon.
    An allternativ would be 3-4 copys of Spell Snare, wich can easily hit various targets in your meta, such as Goyf, Qasali Pridemages, 2cc Elves like Priest and Co. ,Magma Jet, we could go on forever.
    As mentioned above 19 lands are far to less for a deck like landstill where you want to hit your first 4-5 landdrops in order to play such devasting spells like Humility or Elspeth (or cycle DoJ for a good amount of token).
    I could imagine to run 2-3 Kitchen Finks in your deck, in order to recover from an early blow, another way would be a Cunning Wish for Pulse of the Fields, Ajani is to clunky to be as effectiv as it should be.
    you.

Hey, random idea: for a version of this deck that doesn't run any actual creature cards (as in "card type- creature"), I was wondering if it might work to include 2-4x Polymorph and 1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn? It's not quite as cheap as playing Natural Order for Progenitus, since you need an extra for the man-land activation, but it seems like you could use it as an "oops, I win" that would actually be pretty powerful, and it would reduce the need to play all your matches to time.

There's also the added bonus that if this actually works out, there's no shortage of Polymorphs floating around out there, so it will stay cheap. Lol.
    Bless your heart, we must consider Blue/White Tempo's strategy and win percentages in an entirely different deck thread. -4eak

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

@ Dukedemonkn1ght:

I tried Polymorph, going into the Wish slot, when Progenitus got spoiled. I added 2-3 Bitterblossom (which acted kinda nicely both as stall and kill enabler) and cut Academy Ruins and Dustbowl for 2 additional Mutavaults - that alongside Elspeth and Factory was actually enough to support Polymorph, which I ran as a 2-of +1 Mystical Tutor.
    Now Emrakul is definitely stronger than Progenitus, so I see where you're coming from.
    But both "danger of cool things" and "win-more" applies here unfortunately.
    The CMC 4 slots are packed with cards that don't need further investments to be able to win (read: Elspeth, Jace 2.0).
    I'd probably change my mind if either Polymorph cost 2U or it'd give Emrakul haste, but since neither is the case, it's kinda meh to sacrifice 4 slots, make some more sub-optimal card choices and butcher the mana base.

Apr 2010
    Victoria, BC

Hello everyone. I'm putting together my first landstill deck and looking for some constructive feedback. Any obvious changes that you would suggest? thanks!

3 Brainstorm
    3 Counterspell
    3 Cunning Wish
    2 Decree of Justice
    2 Fact or Fiction
    4 FOW
    3 Spell Snare
    4 STP
    2 Wrath of God
    1 Humility
    4 Standstill
    3 E.Explosives
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

1 Academy Ruins
    3 Mishra's Factory
    3 Wasteland
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Polluted Delta
    2 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Swamp
    4 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea

SB
    4 Meddling Mage
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Extirpate
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Pulse of the Fields
    1 Ravenous Trap
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Negate
    1 Runed Halo
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Relic of Progenitus

Poisonous Foogoofiish
    Feb 2006
    Germany

I like the idea of having a way which enables the deck to win in a frame of like 2 turns, but instead of using Polymorph i opt to use Proteus Staff. Staff can be tutored, costs one less and doesnt 2-1 you immediately. As a little sideeffect, Emrakul protects you against Painter decks!

First the list, then the explanation:

Emkrakul Control:

// Lands (22)
    1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
    1 [MM] Dust Bowl (debatable)
    2 [ZEN] Island
    3 [B] Tundra
    3 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
    2 [B] Volcanic Island
    4 [AQ] Mishra's Factory
    4 [ON] Flooded Strand
    1 [ZEN] Plains
    1 [ZEN] Mountain

// Draw and Search (13)
    4 [IA] Brainstorm
    4 [OD] Standstill
    3 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    2 [MI] Enlightened Tutor

// Permission (11)
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [CS] Counterbalance
    3 [DIS] Spell Snare

// Removal (9)
    4 [IA] Swords to Plowshares
    2 [RAV] Lightning Helix
    2 [SHM] Firespout
    1 [FD] Engineered Explosives

// Win (4)
    2 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    1 [MR] Proteus Staff
    1 [ROE?] Emrakul

// Utility (1)
    1 [10E] Crucible of Worlds

Notes:
    - Why Uwr instead of Uwb: I think that red is a stronger, third colour for a control deck like this currently. Firespout is the superior Wrath in most cases. It fits also better in the manacurve, which is lower than the traditional Landstill curve. Therefore i added 22 land instead of the usual 23. Lightning Helix may look odd, but i added it for a couple of reasons, it removes many creatures and is life-gain in one spell, also it is cmc2 for CB. Which leads me to the next point.
    - Why CB: In my opinion it is better to ask, why NOT? It provides another way to gain card advantage, it hoses combo and Aggro-Control. Especially the former gave LS some trouble in the past, so i thought it is a good fit. With Emrakul in the picture you dont have to stabilize the board indefinitly, but you can be fine with something slipping through and then just go for the throat with Staff.
    - Crucible: It strengthens the Tutor-toolbox approach and lets you reccur a manland if you want to use Staff, but have no creature to sacc. Also it gives you a reliable way to make landdrops to hardcast Emrakul at some point Could be moved to the board too.
    - Number of Removal spells: Would be nice to have the third Firespout, Lightning Helix and the second EE. Would this be overkill or is it needed?

More notes to come, but for now i want to ask for opinions if something like this could be viable. The exact numbers need some testing. Please keep in mind that the blue count is a bit of concern, if you are tempted to propose e.g. 3 CB / 3 Standstill.
    BBB

nice idea!! Any experience from mws test??

Mar 2010

So I added 4 more lands (2 plains, 2 island) into my list removing the counterbalances and I wasn't too thrilled with how it played. As important as those first 4 land drops are it seemed like they were taking away spots that could be used for more utility spells. Has anyone else had this problem?

A Dedicated Storm Player...
    May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

I' ve seen this deck by Marius Haussman and I'd like to test this exactly list in order to improve it because in my opinion THIS list is the correct approach to play landstill I mean with c.balance main and thopter/sword.
    here is the link
    http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=34444
    if anybody in here is M.Haussman please let me know in order to know how exactly side vs the different decks in the meta, I'd like to be part of your testing group regarding to this deck.

Let's put up to the Tier 1 decks the landstillˇˇˇ

That list is missing four cards. I'm guessing Swords to Plowshares..?

A Dedicated Storm Player...
    May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

you're ritgh, in this tournament there is a exactly build in this sae top 8 from the same team with the 4 swords.

Jan 2010
    Germany, NRW

@Pelikanundo: Marius Hausmann is "Wasteland" on this forum.
    @ sadface: It seems so, the 8th places plays the same list including 4 StP's.
    @Zhukai: Your list don't need anymore Basics, you should try and add the missing 4 Mishras Factory's. Also 7 counters seems to low, try and add
    3 -4 Spell Snares (cards you can cut are 1-2 Tops/1 Decree and maybe one Path).
    you.

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

This is a bit of a break from what everyone has been discussing in the last few posts, but I wanted to share my list of Landstill that I have been doing very well with recently:

// Lands
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Plains
    1 Underground Sea
    4 Tundra
    3 Mishra's Factory
    2 Wasteland
    1 Scrubland
    1 Karakas
    1 Tolaria West
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Island

// Spells
    1 Humility
    3 Engineered Explosives
    3 Decree of Justice
    2 Fact or Fiction
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Nevinyrral's Disk
    1 Moat
    3 Cunning Wish
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Wrath of God
    4 Counterspell
    3 Standstill
    4 Force of Will
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Path to Exile
    3 Brainstorm
    1 Spell Snare

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 Path to Exile
    SB: 1 Diabolic Edict
    SB: 1 Ravenous Trap
    SB: 1 Enlightened Tutor
    SB: 2 Extirpate
    SB: 1 Return to Dust
    SB: 1 Pulse of the Fields
    SB: 1 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 3 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Negate
    SB: 1 Echoing Truth

(There should probably be a Tormod's Crypt in my SB.)

The first thing to say about the deck is that I've been playing something close to this list for over a year, and when playing any deck, and especially a control deck, experience is a key factor to success. A lot of my wins come from my knowledge of the metagame and being able to play my this deck better than my opponent is able to play his deck.

I've been having a lot of success with Decree of Justice and really every card that everyone said is really bad right now. I tired playing with Firespout for a while, but I learned something - Firespout is not Wrath of God. I'm currently only running one Wrath, but I would really like to find the room for a second because Wrath is amazing - Firespout is only really good against Zoo.

Against Dredge I'm X-1 in the last 20 or so matches that I've played. Dredge decks without LED are entirely too slow to beat me before Cunning Wish comes on line. I have the same X-1ish match record against Counterbalance decks as well, only the sample size is much larger in this case. The case has generally been - if my opponent is using Tarmogoyf, I'm probably going to win. Yes, even against Zoo.

Speaking of Zoo, a lot of people in this thread have been talking about how difficult it is, I don't find this to be the case. Game 1 the plan is to get clear early beats and then hide behind a Moat; the entire game devolves into me keeping their Pridemages out of play. This is the same thing that happens against Counter-Top decks, Survival (And Survival Bant decks) And really anything that has Pridemage, decks that attack and don't have access to that cat just go to game 2 when Moat comes down.

I can still hit rough patches against Merfolk but in my testing I'd like to say I've done better than 50% win, but I'm willing to say that I'm around 50%. I've considered adding a third Path to the board to bring in against them. I remember what Geoff said about sideboarding against Merfolk a number of months ago, but I don't think I can afford to board out FoW against that deck.

My other really bad match is Renaimator, I've made the modifications needed to bring the win ratio up enough, but its still really a lot more luck based than I would care for.

While discussing combo, ANT is awful for me Game 1, but I've had excellent success with Cannonist, it wins tons of games and never lets them in. I'd like to look for room for a 4th, but I'm more concerned with trying to seal the deal on Merfolk without using something like Preacher.

43 Lands is generally favorable but often goes to 3 games. I find Aggro loam to be very favorable as well.

Tempo-thresh is really bad, but who plays that anymore?

As far as critiques go, I am looking for something to really cripple Merfolk and if anyone can suggest something that can help with the wishboard, that would be appreciated as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelikanudo View Post
    I' ve seen this deck by Marius Haussman and I'd like to test this exactly list in order to improve it because in my opinion THIS list is the correct approach to play landstill I mean with c.balance main and thopter/sword.
    here is the link
    http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=34444
    if anybody in here is M.Haussman please let me know in order to know how exactly side vs the different decks in the meta, I'd like to be part of your testing group regarding to this deck.

Let's put up to the Tier 1 decks the landstillˇˇˇ
    It's great, i was suprised of seeing the thopter combo. The sideboarding it's strange thought. Spell pierce is for combo right?? Canonist wouldn't be better??

Thread Information