Page 279 of 279 FirstFirst ... 179229269275276277278279
Results 5,561 to 5,564 of 5564

Thread: [Deck] UW(x) Landstill

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: [Deck] UW(x) Landstill

Do you have a dungeon strategy for Immovable Rod?
    Or is the plan for it to never untap?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Sep 2011

Depends on the game state. I've gone for both Lost Mine and Dungeon of the Mad Mage so far. Tomb of Annihilation is too suicidal.

Between Lost Mine and Dungeon, it really depends on how long it looks like the game will go, how much mana you have, and which abilities you may need sooner. There isn't always time or mana to go through a full dungeon.

Once at 6 lands + Jewel, I usually activate every turn (4 lands free). Before that I just lock down 1 thing and don't untap until I have a better answer.

What I like even more is that it forces them to overcommit into Verdict and turns off annoying passive abilities. It can also pick off lands to color-screw them.
    Last edited by FTW; 11-08-2023 at 10:31 AM.

Sep 2011

Other useful tech in this build...

Many proactive turn 1 plays that curve under T2 Standstill: Jewel, Currency Converter, Rod

T1 Jewel curves into T2 EOT 2/2 Shark. In general, Sharks can get online earlier or grow larger.

T1 Jewel, T2 cycle Timeless into 2nd land drop (into T2 Standstill?). 4/4 dragon available as early as T3. Jewel pays for both abilities.

So much Currency Converter value: 4 Sharks, 3 Timeless, 2 Lorien, Otawara, Heliod reusing Shark Typhoon, Jewel paying for more looting. Many 2/2s available.

Jewel pays for Saga and also +1 to Constructs, enabling early 4/4s without tying up your lands.

Sep 2011

Is Standstill dead as long as Beans exists?

It's tough to justify building a different game plan around Standstill when UWx can curve out Beans for 1G and jam every good control spell without as restrictive deck building. Beans has weaker mana, but it also doesn't "get got" by threats that sneak under Standstill. The only reason to play Standstill before was that it gave you the most efficient 2-mana draw engine if you were willing to accept the restrictions (non-spells or cheap instants). If Beans can outdraw it, then Standstill's payoff isn't worth the drawback.

I recently stumbled across one of my old Landstill decks from about 12 years ago. I forgot all about it. It's surprising how little has changed in the deck in that long.

FTW Landstill (2011ish)

//Lands: 25
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    4 Tundra
    2 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Tolaria West
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland

//Spells: 20
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Counterspell
    2 Supreme Verdict

//Enchantments: 7
    4 Standstill
    2 Detention Sphere
    1 Humility

//Artifacts: 5
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Crucible of Worlds

//Planeswalkers: 3
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Counterbalance
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Rest in Peace
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Vedalken Shackles
    1 Leyline of Sanctity

Ponder was already out and a Xerox staple, but not played in Standstill.

6 fetches + 4 Tundra seems weird these days, though the mana fixing was not as good back then. At 13 sources this has less blue mana than Delver, so maybe it relied on Top to fix draws.

I can't remember what the SB was tuned to. Maybe this was still the Goyf era where CounterTop and Shackles broke Goyf decks. Dredge, Reanimator, and ANT were probably strong too. The RiP+Helm SB plan must have been for the memes. It seems unnecessary.

The maindeck had more instant counters in those days. It was common for an opponent to let Standstill stay many turns until sculpting an optimal hand. Then they'd break Standstill and you'd fight a big counter war, needing multiple answers to stop their real business. Spell Pierce would remain relevant late because of these counter wars. Before Shark Typhoon and Timeless Dragon, the clock was slow with just Factories, so they could take time to sculpt. These days Standstill is cracked immediately so there aren't these epic counter wars. 2-mana counters are too slow and even the 1-mana counters are less common main.

I don't know why Tolaria West was still a thing. Expedition Map works so much better with Academy Ruins (get ruins, then get more lands). Maybe because Map is a spell? But Map sees play today. Strange. Tolaria does have a cute interaction getting nonlands like Engineered Explosives or Tormod's Crypt.

I guess former wincons Decree of Justice and Eternal Dragon had lost favor by the Jace era? Dragon is bad with Humility, but 1 Decree doesn't seem terrible here. Either Timeless Dragon or Shark Typhoon would have been amazing. Poking people to death with Factory was slow and agonizing.

Maybe that was the motivation for the SB Helm combo. To end the game faster and actually finish game 2!

Thread Information