San Diego

Re: [DTB] UW(x) Landstill

@ The Rack-

My list for that tourney (with humility MD) probably would have been:

-1 wasteland
    -1 volcanic island
    +1 fetch
    +1 plains

As the white was heavier than the red, and you had a spell with dub white, which isn't rediculous to get or anything, just hard if you do not have crucible out...

Good Job Jake!!

I think the Uwr lists still are strong enough to compete, they just need a little more help when facing decks like ichorid or quick combo is all...

Plus side is they have a good mirror MU (if response, better I may say).

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by konsultant View Post
    Has anyone considered Fracturing Gust as a Wish target?
    Yeah, back on the first page. It was shot down on account of the mana cost being difficult, but in a UWx list, especially UWg I think it should be manageable. It's annoying that it kills your Humilities and Halos, so you might want to play it in addition to rather than instead of the normal Disenchant effect.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Dec 2007
    Germany

Last saturday I went 4-1-1 (6th) on a 61 player tournament in germany with this deck:
    Maindeck
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    3 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    3 Plains
    4 Island
    1 Tolaria West
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Wasteland
    3 Mishra's Factory
    1 Eternal Dragon
    3 Decree of Justice
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Standstill
    3 Cunning Wish
    4 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Wrath of God
    2 Humility
    3 Engineered Explosives

Sideboard
    4 Meddling Mage
    3 Runed Halo
    3 Extirpate
    1 Slaughter Pact
    1 Pulse of the Fields
    1 Return to Dust
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Blue Elemental Blast

Because it's a common list there should not be much to explain. I played only three Tundra because I wasn't able to get more but I don't think I would play four if I get them because three are really enough and seven basics are good against Blood Moon and Back to Basics.
    I won against Dragon Stompy, UWB-Fish with Wasteland, Stifle and Extirpate (really annoying >_>), UWB Faeries and some kind of WW with green splash. I lost against UB-control. First game he surprised me with Haunting Echoes for nearly my whole deck and I played really bad, second game I had to fight against 4 Duress, 4 Thoughtseize, Extirpate, Haunting Echoes and Extirpate. That was too heavy for me. The draw was against NQG/r.
    I am very satisfied with this deck because my only loss was against a deck nearly never played and the other MU's were good. But I am not sure if the Meddling Mages were the right choice. Combo isn't played much here and against other MU's I rarely want to side them in.
    My meta is full of Fish and NQG, some Stax and Loam-Decks. There are only a few Belcher and Ichorid decks. I'm wondering if there would be a better sb-choice for my meta.

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

Grats for the finish - feels good to see the deck do well outside of the hands of the players that usually pilot it to good finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranarion View Post
    I played only three Tundra because I wasn't able to get more but I don't think I would play four if I get them because three are really enough and seven basics are good against Blood Moon and Back to Basics.
    I also thought about making this change - good to know that it works out well, I'm not totally sure on how to transpose the 6-7 basics manabase into a 23 land (+2 Eternal Dragon) build though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranarion View Post
    My meta is full of Fish and NQG, some Stax and Loam-Decks. There are only a few Belcher and Ichorid decks. I'm wondering if there would be a better sb-choice for my meta.
    Stax and Loam are two very good reasons to keep Meddling Mage in your sideboard - against Stax naming Armageddon makes the matchup rather one-sided as Armageddon is one of their best ways to victory (especially since close to no-one has access to Ravages of War) and against Loam Meddling Mage shines too as it is another out to their namesake or to other nasty things such as Devastating Dreams.

My newest list for the archetype can be found here - you could maybe give it a spin next time.
    Team SPOD - ...land of the brave...

Buys bulk haterade
    Jul 2008

What are your opinions on removal for things such as counterbalance if you don't want to use cunning wish? I was thinking maybe one seal of cleansing or aura of silence with one enlightened tutor(which can also fetch standstill, crucible, humility and explosives. Is there a way to work this viably, maybe:
    4 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    4 Mishra's Factory
    1 Wasteland
    1 Tolaria West
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 Island
    2 Plains

3 Decree of Justice

4 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    4 Standstill
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Fact or Fiction

4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Wrath of God
    2 Humility
    1 Enlighted Tutor
    1 Seal of Cleansing

1 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Engineered Explosives

I know everyone says don't maindeck tutor, but I think it might actually fit here.

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Explosives works fine enough, you can spend more mana of the same color to get around Counterbalance. Enlightened Tutor and Seal of Cleansing aren't great under one. If you really want to fuck Counterbalance no matter what, run maindeck Grips like konsultant's last list.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Pandora
    Jul 2007
    North Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by raharu View Post
    I'm thinking of running Ajani now, though in another U based control deck. Thank you for the concept.

Fracturing Gust seems fairly (read: really stupidly but I don't want to come off as either a fanboy or a moron) strong, although the manacost could prove prohibitive and it raisses the question (for me) of why you wouldn't just run Akorma's Vengance instead, because it's a stronger effect in most circumstances and, while it costs one more, it's 4WW instead of what Gust's cost is (although in UWg that could be much more managable than I give the manabase credit for. I still doubt the ability for it to be useful against DStompy though).
    The reason for Fracturing Gust was because it's an instant and could fit as a one of in the wish board. It's a situational card, obviously it's not your normal target against Dragon Stompy if Bloodmoon is out and you don't have the 3 basic Plains in play. I run 2 Trop's in my build whitch would make the mana cost a touch easier to get. This would be more for things like White Stax, more of a weapon against the random decks you may encounter in the earlier rounds of a large event. Anything that incorparate's life gain into it's ability can be a very useful tool aswell.
    Team Pandora

Team Disqualified Poster

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by konsultant View Post
    Fracturing Gust
    The question really should be whether Fracturing Ghust is that much better than Return to Dust to merit a slot in the already rather tight sideboard - Return to Dust has an easier to obtain mana cost and still hell of a strong effect as even against Stax or Enchantress there are only rarely more than two relevant Artefacts/Enchantments on the board. Also, the fact that Return to Dust removes the cards from the game can be randomly useful too (e.g. against Modular or Academy Ruins).
    As the consent seems to be that Fracturing Ghust can not really replace another Disenchant effect in the Wishboard, I'd say that it's too narrow and that it doesn't offer a significant enough plus in power if compared to Return to Dust to warrant a slot.

Quote Originally Posted by 3duece View Post
    What are your opinions on removal for things such as counterbalance if you don't want to use cunning wish?
    As already stated, Engineered Explosives is very good against Counterbalance - max out on these first. If you then still feel as though you don't have enough outs to it, I'd go with a single Nevinyrral's Disk in the place of one Wrath of God which is not only a good Enlightened Tutor target but which also offers a nice out to Blood Moon and all sorts of other randomness. The fact that it is a turn slower than Wrath hurts sometimes, but, if you plan a little ahead and if you know what you're doing, you should be able to work around this too.

Jan 2007
    ny

I have a question about Meddling Mage. I know that he comes in against combo, but what other decks should he come in against (loam perhaps?), and what should he chant in those matchups (including storm combo)?

Also, what should successive mages name if i should draw more than one? Thanks.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by dude 666 View Post
    I have a question about Meddling Mage. I know that he comes in against combo, but what other decks should he come in against (loam perhaps?), and what should he chant in those matchups (including storm combo)?

Regarding successive Magi, see the order of targets listed:

Ichorid: Dread Return (plus serves as bridge remoaval) - 2-3 are enough, though.

White Stax: Armageddon, Crucible, Smokestack

Hightide.dec: Hightide, Brainfreeze/Cunning Wish
    Springtide: s.a.

Burn: Price of Progress - R. Halo is better here obv.

Mirrormatch: Depending on gamestate and build: ...

Aggro Loam: Don't board him.

43 Lands.dec: Life from the Loam, Burning Wish, Mulch (?)

TES: Tendrils, Empty the Warrens, Burning Wish

Belcher: (ETW) Belcher, Wish

Enchantress/Solitaire: Argothian Enchantress/ Enchantress' Presence, maybe Choke

There's is more but that's what came to mind right now.

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by dude 666 View Post

To complete on what klaus said:

Naming things with Meddling Mage is highly dependant on the game state so that the following are only rough guidelines. Knowing these and the matchup you're playing, you shouldn't really have any problems playing the Mage correctly though.

• Ichorid:
      1. Cabal Therapy - this is one of their major token producers and their best chance at keeping you from winning (i.e. landing a Humility/Runed Halo/Extirpate). I'd always name it first especially since the Ichorid player will close to always board the Dread Return package out against you because he doesn't need to win fast.
      2. Chain of Vapor (or Dread Return if they left it in) - one of their best outs at recovering after you've actually won (i.e. reached the lategame and landed some broken enchantments). Also, all the builds are running and boarding these so that you should never really waste the Meddling Mage.
    • White Stax:
      1. Armageddon
      2. Crucible of Worlds - assuming they don't have Ravages of War
      3. Smokestack
    • Solidarity
      1. Hightide
      2. If you already Extirpated their Meditates: Cunning Wish, else name Meditate
    • Aggro Loam: I am currently boarding Meddling Mage against Aggro Loam (*) because he's an additional out to their main engine and to their best way of winning out of nowhere (Devastating Dreams). He can also act as pseudo-removal if you name one of their threats: they don't have that many so that loosing 4 is quite devastating to them sometimes.
      1. If there's no Extirpate in sight name Life from the Loam, else name Burning Wish. If you currently don't have a counter name Devastating Dreams
      2. Whatever you didn't name in 1.
      3. Start with their threats (Countryside Crusher, Terravore)
    • TES: Not really sure about this one but I don't think that naming the winconditions is the right move.
      1. Burning Wish
      2. Infernal Tutor
    • Mirrormatch: If they play a build with Pernicious Deed, always name it first.
    • MUC:
      1. Back to Basics
      2. Engineered Explosives
      3. Morphling
    • Meddling Mage also comes in against other random control that has a better lategame than you - if they play Deed name it first, else name their main engines (e.g. Intuition or the like). Naming winconditions is also not a bad move.

*: My board plan versus Aggro Loam:
    -3 Wrath of God
    -1 Standstill
    -1 Counterspell
    -2 Cunning Wish
    -1 Engineered Explosives
    -2 Fact or Fiction
    -1 Eternal Dragon
    +4 Meddling Mage
    +3 Extirpate
    +3 Runed Halo
    +1 Blue Elemental Blast

Aug 2007
    Bielefeld, Germany

Hi,
    I play a Wish and Tutor Based UWb List, what do you think of "Declaration of Naught"?

It isn't nearly as good as M Mage, but you can Tutor for it and with some U it does nearly the same job.

The worst thing is that you can use it 1 Turn later then M Mage and obviously you need more U.
    Originally Posted by Pinder
    Turns out that some weird chemical reaction between the Twinkie filling and Ranch Dressing opens up a portal straight into Hell, through which the Devil is then able to shit directly into your mouth.

Jan 2007
    ny

Thanks alot for the extremely thorough answer, Der_Imaginäre_Freund, it cleared alot of things up.

I'm still not sure about the TES matchup however, since there was disagreement between you and Klaus over what to name. Does the fact that I run 4 Stifle mainboard change what to name with the mage? Also, does the TES matchup differ greatly from the Fetchland Tendrils one? How should I play against TES and FT?

Sorry for all the questions, those are just the most intimidating matchups.

Itīs just more individual party in your head.
    Apr 2007
    Germany

If you play 4 Stifles I would probably name Orimīs Chant first and maybe Vexing Shusher next.

@dude
    May you show your list? I'm interested in a list with stifle MB.

My not really new list:
    // Deck file for Magic Workstation

// Lands
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    3 Mishra's Factory
    3 Plains
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tolaria West
    4 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Wasteland
    1 Faerie Conclave

// Creatures
    1 Eternal Dragon
    1 Jace Beleren <- thats the point i'm not sure about should I play Jace or FoF

// Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Counterspell
    3 Cunning Wish
    2 Decree of Justice
    3 Engineered Explosives
    4 Force of Will
    2 Humility
    4 Standstill
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Wrath of God

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 Fact or Fiction
    SB: 1 Enlightened Tutor
    SB: 3 Extirpate
    SB: 1 Hydroblast
    SB: 3 Meddling Mage
    SB: 1 Pulse of the Fields
    SB: 1 Return to Dust
    SB: 1 Slaughter Pact
    SB: 3 Runed Halo

I want to play 3 Wishes, but i want also play 2 FoF or 1Jace/ 1 FoF, so i play a FoF in the Sb for a MM. So i have acess to 2 FoF or 1 Jace/1 FoF. What do you think about the list?
    Sorry for my bad english
    Last edited by FlavaSava; 07-12-2008 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaSava View Post
    @dude
    May you show your list? I'm interested in a list with stifle MB.

My not really new list:
    // Deck file for Magic Workstation

// Lands
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    3 Mishra's Factory
    3 Plains
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tolaria West
    4 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Wasteland
    1 Faerie Conclave

// Creatures
    1 Eternal Dragon
    1 Jace Beleren <- thats the point i'm not sure about should I play Jace or FoF

// Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Counterspell
    3 Cunning Wish
    2 Decree of Justice
    3 Engineered Explosives
    4 Force of Will
    2 Humility
    4 Standstill
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Wrath of God

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 Fact or Fiction
    SB: 1 Enlightened Tutor
    SB: 3 Extirpate
    SB: 1 Hydroblast
    SB: 3 Meddling Mage
    SB: 1 Pulse of the Fields
    SB: 1 Return to Dust
    SB: 1 Slaughter Pact
    SB: 3 Runed Halo

I want to play 3 Wishes, but i want also play , so i play a FoF in the Sb for a MM. So i have acess to 2 FoF or 1 Jace/1 FoF. What do you think about the list?
    Sorry for my bad english
    After extensive testing with Jace I never seem to like him in landstill. His draw-back outweighs his functional role for card draw. In other words, he draws minimal cards for his cost. While fact or fiction on the other hand can break stalemates and turn tables into your favor. Also FoF is instanteous and only has one in it's cost which is a important notice.

As for the singleton faerie conclave, that slot seems weak considering you should be running another mishra's factory. Also another E. dragon will help you stabalize a foundational manabase early while applying consistent land drops. Which is needed in landstill and you won't have to over-extend as much especially against land hate.
    Last edited by Mister Agent; 07-11-2008 at 09:03 PM.
    Team Hammafist!

Jan 2007
    ny

Ok so this is my list; the 4 stifle mainboard i'm still unsure of, they're awesome at times, but at other times are not that awesome.

Lands:
    4 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Island
    2 Plains
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Wasteland
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Tolaria West

Creatures:
    1 Eternal Dragon

Removal and whatnot:
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Engineered Explosives
    2 Humility
    2 Wrath of God

Card Advantage/ Parity:
    4 Standstill
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Cunning Wish
    2 Crucible of Worlds

Counters:
    4 Force of Will
    4 Counterspell
    4 Stifle

Sideboard:
    4 Meddling Mage
    4 Extirpate
    3 Engineered Plague or 3 Runed Halo (still undecided)
    1 Pulse of the Fields
    1 Slaughter Pact
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Dismantling Blow

The slots that change up alot are the third Cunning Wish and the Fact or Fiction, they get interchanged for the Wraths periodically; I also found Decree to be very clunky, moreso than Fact or Fiction.
    Last edited by dude 666; 07-11-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: forgot wog's....

Running DoJ is very important, its the best Finisher in a LS-Deck. I donīt want to miss it.

1 Eternal Dragon
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Counterspell
    3 Cunning Wish
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Decree of Justice
    3 Wrath of God
    2 Humility
    4 Standstill
    2 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Engineered Explosives

1 Academy Ruins
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Plains
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tolaria West
    4 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Wasteland

SB
    4 Extirpate
    1 pulse of the fields
    1 slaughter pact
    1 hydroblast
    1 Dismanteling blow
    3 E plague
    3 MMage
    1 Stifle

This is the list I am using. The stifle in the board has many uses, including allowing deed to resolve when you have a humility/crucible out. Gives you a better chance in the solidardy matchup, and helps your TES/FT matchups.

Any Critiques for this. I was testing the 4C landstill/vorosh matchup and let me tell you in that matchup, you win most of the time because you have twice as many answers for goyf as they have goyf. Key cards include Counterspell/force for the counterspell/force on crucible. Standstill is actualy extremaly aquard in this MU... The biggest win seemed to be humility.

Also tested a little against a proxied lands deck. It seems like plague naming X where X is the best manland that they have helps alot because of humility. Extirpate on Loam and the C spelled burning wish is huge here.
    I c h o r i d - my anti blue
    Manaless Ichorid- At least its cheeper than standard.
    We admit for the sake of the exercise that following is true:
    Landstill > Fromat
    Non-Basic Hate > Landstill
    Basics > Non-Basic Hate
    We can therefore logically conlude that
    Basics > Format

@undone

That's the standard list (mainboard), I guess. Nothing more to add to the mainboard. Some people changed the CoW for 2 Fact or Fiction, I would test this.
    What I miss in the Sideboard is the enlightened tutor (EOT: C.wish->enlight. Tutor-> Humility) and three plagues seem a lot, I would prefer more BEB, but maybe its a meta game choice. And I don't see the meaning of "naming manlands vs land.dec". A 3/3 trample treetop village would be 2/2 trample under humility, isnt it?
    Land.dec is really the thoughest matchup for landstill. Preboard u can only win with crucible and Cunning wish (for extirpate) on your starting hand. In my meta game there is also a land.dec. The guy plays 4 wasteland, 4 ghost quarter, 3-4 ports. and burning wish. After the boarding, u have to extirpate burning wish and loam, then u have a chance (watch out for devasting dreams).

greetz

Thread Information