Page 12 of 279 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] UW(x) Landstill

Nov 2007
    Germany

Re: [DTB] UW(x) Landstill

"It seems like plague naming X where X is the best manland that they have helps alot because of humility. Extirpate on Loam and the C spelled burning wish is huge here."

Humility doesnt make manlands 1/1 (unless they are activated when Humilty comes into play, and even then they'll only be 1/1 until EOT). So naming 'Ape' will make Treetop Village 2/2 under Humility and 'Monk' (?) will make Nantuko Monastery 3/3.
    Incidentily, this is what makes Humility such a great card in Landstill, since it leaves you playing with 2/2 creatures (Factory) while everyone else is stuck with 1/1s.
    Last edited by Serbitar; 07-13-2008 at 06:32 AM.

"It seems like plague naming X where X is the best manland that they have helps alot because of humility. Extirpate on Loam and the C spelled burning wish is huge here."

Humility doesnt make manlands 1/1 (unless they sre activated when Humilty comes into play, and even then they'll only be 1/1 until EOT). So naming 'Ape' will make Treetop Village 2/2 under Humility and 'Monk' (?) will make Nantuko Monastery 3/3.
    Really? Some one told me this as well but then I asked a couple of judges and they told me

"Humility is static, Every creature is a 1/1, always. The reason being that, you make your land a man. Now you check statebased effects. The manland is a 1/1 with no ablitys due to state based effects."

I might be wrong but this sounds correct I understand the layers but it isnt an issue, It only seems to be an issue if your using anthem effects.

At most i would cut 1 EPlague for 1 E tutor. in the board. I really love the singleton stifle, and was considering adding a singleton forbid.
    I c h o r i d - my anti blue
    Manaless Ichorid- At least its cheeper than standard.
    We admit for the sake of the exercise that following is true:
    Landstill > Fromat
    Non-Basic Hate > Landstill
    Basics > Non-Basic Hate
    We can therefore logically conlude that
    Basics > Format

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by undone View Post
    "Humility is static, Every creature is a 1/1, always. The reason being that, you make your land a man. Now you check statebased effects. The manland is a 1/1 with no ablitys due to state based effects."
    For Humility related questions check this thread and especially this post.

Quote Originally Posted by TeKo View Post
    Hi,
    I play a Wish and Tutor Based UWb List, what do you think of "Declaration of Naught"?
    The biggest problem with Declaration of Naught is that it's only a replacement for Meddling Mage in the combo or recursion matchups: the body of Meddling Mage is a prime reason to take him in for the control mirrors.
    Also, playing a sub-optimal card only because you can tutor for it isn't exactly what I call optimization: you only play 2 Cunning Wishes and therefore you have a rather small chance of seeing one by turn3 meaning that the Enlightened Tutor plan for Declaration of Naught is always slower than directly playing Meddling Mage.
    I'd say it's a no-go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I'm surprised that you dislike Crucible, Clemens (especially considering the presence of Stax and Loam in das alte Deutschland). Personally, I still find it key, particularly for the control matchup, since there is a noticeable power jump between having 4-5 lands in play and having 8-9 of them. Much like in Stax, it does little on its own, but it "enables" most of your deck: Decree and Eternal Dragon now become serious threats much earlier, and a single Mishra's Factory can force your opponent to play two creatures into a Wrath.
    These are all valid points - Crucible of Worlds still is a strong tool for the late midgame and after.
    The reason I cut CoW was simply that it didn't influence the board state directly: you played it and it was like ": do nothing" at first and would only show an effect later meaning that it was only good on a neutral or better board - it didn't handle things. Also the mana stability aspect wasn't really all that important after reaching 3 mana (from where it's no distance to the lategame) and was further made redundant by the fact that with more basics most recursive and non-recursive manadenial doesn't really hurt you as much as in earlier versions meaning that you can mostly rely on the lands you draw: if you have less targets for Wasteland and co. you have much less need for something to fight them.
    Also, the addition of the second Eternal Dragon also somewhat compensates the loss of the singleton Crucible in the control matchups as Eternal Dragon can also function as pseudo-Crucible guaranteeing your land drops for some turns.
    Team SPOD - ...land of the brave...

Pandora
    Jul 2007
    North Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by Der_imaginäre_Freund View Post
    To complete on what klaus said:

Naming things with Meddling Mage is highly dependant on the game state so that the following are only rough guidelines. Knowing these and the matchup you're playing, you shouldn't really have any problems playing the Mage correctly though.
    [*]TES: Not really sure about this one but I don't think that naming the winconditions is the right move.
    1. Burning Wish
    2. Infernal Tutor
    I'm gonna just clear this up for everyone's sake, always name Tendril's. If you are lucky and they aren't playing/ drew a REB this is pretty much game. The resource's need to Wish for Clasm to kill him will buy you a number of turns. I play against Bryant Cook the decks creator just about every single week. My playing him every week is part of the reason I incorparated Halo into my deck strategy. Halo obviously come's dowm on Tendril's first as well. If you hit the second Mage its a toss up of naming Burning Wish or dropping a second one on Tendril's. The second one on Tendril's might seem foolish but if they are running REB it's the better call. Bryant has been playing against me playing Landstill for several years now and his list pack's as much hate for Lanstill as he can cram in there and he posts his list in the forum regularly.
    Team Pandora

Team Disqualified Poster

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by DIF
    The reason I cut CoW was simply that it didn't influence the board state directly: you played it and it was like ": do nothing" at first and would only show an effect later meaning that it was only good on a neutral or better board - it didn't handle things. Also the mana stability aspect wasn't really all that important after reaching 3 mana (from where it's no distance to the lategame) and was further made redundant by the fact that with more basics most recursive and non-recursive manadenial doesn't really hurt you as much as in earlier versions meaning that you can mostly rely on the lands you draw: if you have less targets for Wasteland and co. you have much less need for something to fight them.
    Also, the addition of the second Eternal Dragon also somewhat compensates the loss of the singleton Crucible in the control matchups as Eternal Dragon can also function as pseudo-Crucible guaranteeing your land drops for some turns.
    I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this: I see your points and they're valid (other than "from 3 mana the lategame is near", which I think is just false), but in my opinion the few percentage points that you're giving up by cutting Chalices against common matchups are worth the way it's a Get Out Of Jail Free card* against dedicated mana denial - which is, with the exception of Stax, one of the most difficult matchups for this deck.

* Mmm, how would you say that in German? Gefängnisefreieausfahrtkarte?

Quote Originally Posted by konsultant View Post
    I'm gonna just clear this up for everyone's sake, always name Tendrils. I play against Bryant Cook the decks creator just about every single week. My playing him every week is part of the reason I incorparated Halo into my deck strategy. Halo obviously come's dowm on Tendril's first as well.
    Seconded. Incidentally, if you have to pick between turn 2 Halo and Mage, go with Halo since it's harder to remove (REB-immune, Wish targets more expensive).

If you hit the second Mage its a toss up of naming Burning Wish or dropping a second one on Tendril's. The second one on Tendril's might seem foolish but if they are running REB it's the better call.
    I'd say that the discriminating factor here is whether you have an Empty the Warrens answer in hand or not. If yes, name Tendrils again; if not, name Burning Wish. Sure they don't want to use Goblin tokens against Landstill, but it may be their only shot.

Also, while we're at it, Fetchland Tendrils. Each player has its own list of bullets, but in general naming Tendrils with every Mage/Halo you draw is the safest play: they run split second answers, so you can't rely 100% on a single copy. Some lists can kill you with a Doomsday stack using Brain Freeze, but it's not worth naming that win condition (which besides gets owned by Academy Ruins). Also, if they run Street Wraith, they almost definitely don't have Brain Freeze so name Tendrils without even thinking about it.

It's worth noting that Extirpate is absolutely golden in this matchup: so much of their engine is built around abusing the top of their library that a well-timed shuffle effect is often an Orim's Chant.

Sideboarding against FT:
    -4 Swords to Plowshares
    -3 Wrath
    -2 Humility
    +4 Meddling Mage
    +3 Runed Halo
    +2 Extirpate
    If playing Street Wraith: -1 Crucible, +1 BEB (just for Force-pitching purposes)

You want to keep Cunning Wish in, since a) they are slow enough that it can be used to good effect; b) they love Extirpating your counterspells if they can (sometime they'll play a turn 2 Chant just to bluff and bait a FoW so they can Extirpate it) c) they might bring in all sorts of weird shit from the SB, so you might still need a Return to Dust {Serenity} or Swords to Plowshares {Dark Confidant, Vexing Shusher}. Turn 3 CWish-> ETutor, untap, Tutor on upkeep for Halo, play Halo is a perfectly feasible play here, unlike against TES.
    Also, if they play the slower Divining Top version with just 1 Lotus Petal, keep Crucible in, since Wastelock is utterly brutal against them, and the game will easily last the 5-6 turns it takes for you to play Crucible with Counterspell mana up.

While we're talking about sideboards, I've been playing for a while 1x Tormod's Crypt there: since I've adopted MD Tolaria West too, it makes it easier to estabilish the brutal Academy/Crypt lock, and it lets me E.Tutor for graveyard hate on turn 1 - something especially useful against Ichorid, a matchup which doesn't like the (otherwise excellent) switch from Engineered Plague to Runed Halo. It also circumvent Aggro Loam's Chalices: they don't expect it and so generally don't keep a cycling land ready to rescue Loam in response anymore (I don't SB Meddling Mages against them: I want to keep all of my removal active, since their threats are way too fast).

In my list it replaced another experimental card that didn't work, but in most lists it would be in place of the SB Slaughter Pact - a card I seriously don't remember *ever* wanting to grab, and which I'm puzzled to see so many people like.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    * Mmm, how would you say that in German? Gefängnisefreieausfahrtkarte?
    ROFL. It's "Gefängnisfreikarte" (literally "Prison-liberation-card").

"freie Ausfahrt" would be rather "clear drive" (the thing which you leave the motorways with).
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

A Dedicated Storm Player...
    May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

I have a suggestion I'm currently playing this deck from this link( with 1 more tundra ), and I think its the way to develop this archetype of landstill, but what about to substitute -1 decree of justice by this incredible card with incredible synergy with this archetype .I mean +1 kjeldoran outpost.
    the link is of the list I'm playing is :
    http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=18101

somere more questions are:
    To run or not in side tormods
    How to side versus Gobbos
    Runed halo is good enough versus Gobbos instead those substituited Enginered played.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelikanudo View Post
    I have a suggestion I'm currently playing this deck from this link( with 1 more tundra ), and I think its the way to develop this archetype of landstill, but what about to substitute -1 decree of justice by this incredible card with incredible synergy with this archetype .I mean +1 kjeldoran outpost.
    the link is of the list I'm playing is :
    http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=18101
    Dont cut any lands in this deck for a random Kjeldoran Outpost; it messes with your consistent land drops and forces you to aggressively mulligan.

somere more questions are:
    To run or not in side tormods
    How to side versus Gobbos
    Runed halo is good enough versus Gobbos instead those substituited Enginered played.

1. Extirpate is good enough, however, I can see this deck running a singleton Crypt in the main which can be fetched by Cunning Wish -> ETutor -> Tormod's Crypt or Tolaria West -> Tormod's Crypt.

2. Side out a Cunning Wish, Standstill, Counterspell, FoF/Standstill for 3 Runed Halos and 1 BEB.

3. Actually, I've played against Price of Progress a lot and this deck pretty much smashes Goblins through tight play if you can get Runed Halo(s) on Price of Progress. Extirpate and Pulse of the Fields can be wished for, which is also pretty cool.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Nov 2007
    Germany

Goblins plays Price of Progress?

I already found the goblin matchup not that easy with Plagues [Hell, I even lost once with on board Humility and Pulse against hordes of then 1/1s (I was topdecking badly obviously)], but haven't really tested with Halos. I guess not having to worry about black mana can be a bonus against 8-Denial Goblins. Luckily it's not that common a matchup anymore.

May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

Anti American , what I mean is not to cut a land instead the kjeldoran, from the list of the link i posted I'd take out 1 decree ( this list plays 3 decrees) and add a single kjeldoran outpost.
    respect to the gobbos match up, Ive been playing several archetypes of standstill, and I really need the 4 E.Plague to keep on the game versus gobbos, what would you name vs gobbos with halo? pile driver. (gobbos usually dont run price of progress)

Another point is that playing the U/W/X version I don´t have access to pernicius, versus most of decks I prefer wrath of god ( there are too many stifles and nedles by there..), but there is a single match up in which I really prefer pernicius and is versus any kind of Stax deck.
    So my question is how to side versus Stack, I supose you put in medlin mage, but which card will you name first ? and secondly? is r.halo usefull versus stax?
    Another point I see is that the U/W/X version dont run stifles maindeck why?

An improvement I'll do to this deck is to add a single Fact or fiction and a stifleto the sideboard. Do you agree Anti American? which cards would you take out?
    Please my friend could you suggest me which build of landstill are you playing and how to side versus the different meta please?
    another point : to run or not to run Fact in maindeck if not in main deck for sure it will be in the side but if our goal is to get any kind of card advantage cunin->tutor->standstill is agood option?
    Thanks.

It´s just more individual party in your head.
    Apr 2007
    Germany

Halo is Ok vs Staxx since you can name Mishras Factory with it. But you already board in 4 Mages and 2-3 Extirpates so I don´t think you will get them in too.
    Stifle isn´t good because it doesn´t fit into the gameplan of landstill. Sometimes it´s strong to use it on a fetchland turn 1 but since we play 0-1 wasteland we can´t continue with a fast LD plan so it´s better to just rely on the better spells in the lategame.

What should i cut in the Sb for a Fact or Fiction? 1 Meddling Mage?

May 2005
    Thursday...

Anti American , what I mean is not to cut a land instead the kjeldoran, from the list of the link i posted I'd take out 1 decree ( this list plays 3 decrees) and add a single kjeldoran outpost.
    respect to the gobbos match up, Ive been playing several archetypes of standstill, and I really need the 4 E.Plague to keep on the game versus gobbos, what would you name vs gobbos with halo? pile driver. (gobbos usually dont run price of progress)
    Kjeldoran won't really help you in the Goblin match-up. If you truly want to seal up the Vial Goblins match-up, I suggest you run 2 copies of Circle of Protection: Red alongside your ETutor. So when you board in your CoP:Rs, board in your Tutor as well.

As for E-Plague, there are many solutions to fighting this match-up; it's just that E-Plague is the most versatile. If you dont want to exhaust yourself through amazingly tight play, I suggest that you stay away from E-Plague. I'm not putting you down as a player, but it's just that E-Plague requires a tremendous amount of experience. DIF can play with E-Plagues in this match-up properly because he's ton an extensive amount of testing with E-Plague as a SB card.

If you want to learn to play with Runed Halos against Goblins, the cards you should usually name are state dependent. Sometimes you name Warcheif because of haste, Piledriver, SCG. It's all very state dependent. Usually I name SCG with them late game, Piledrivers midgame, Lackey or Warcheif early game.

Another point is that playing the U/W/X version I don´t have access to pernicius, versus most of decks I prefer wrath of god ( there are too many stifles and nedles by there..), but there is a single match up in which I really prefer pernicius and is versus any kind of Stax deck.
    So my question is how to side versus Stack, I supose you put in medlin mage, but which card will you name first ? and secondly? is r.halo usefull versus stax?
    Against Stax, you should side in Meddling Mage and Extirpate. Side out your 3 WoGs, 2 Humilities, 1 S2P for 4 Meddling Mage and 2 Extirpates. I dont like Runed Halo in this deck, even though it's a perm. It truly doesnt do anything. Okay, if you're playing Runed Halo on Factory, you're doing nothing. So use your MM to chant against bombs like Geddon or CoW and Extirpates to remove bombs, troublesome cards, and a way to answer Wasteland. Remove Chalice using EE to protect yourself and keep hands that can answer a first turn bomb. Also, your game plan in this MU is to go aggro with DoJ or Dragon.

As for the Deed comment, DIF is running a list with Nevinyrral's Disk as a 1-of over a WoG as his versatile mass removal slot. It's a good card because it can be recurred by Academy Ruins and can be fetched by Cunning Wish. Nice way to put a fix on NQG post-board if the NQG player decides to get tricky.

Another point I see is that the U/W/X version dont run stifles maindeck why?
    1. You have to choose between mana denial or flexibility; you can't have both like the old school Keeper decks in which they run 5 Waste-effects, 2 Gorilla Shamans, and 2 black tutors. Landstill can definitely run Wastelands because it doesnt take up many slots, but Stifle will just force you to eschew Cunning Wish altogether. Also, this format's Gorilla Shaman (Dwarven Miner) would probably can removed instantly. If there's a way to run mana denial versus the right decks, it's running CoW in the Sideboard (assuming you run Wastelands maindeck.

2. Because Combo isnt bigger yet.

An improvement I'll do to this deck is to add a single Fact or fiction and a stifleto the sideboard. Do you agree Anti American? which cards would you take out?
    I have always liked Fact or Fiction as a Wish card in this deck, but this is more like a flexible slot. I have always been an advocate of FoF, so it may be slight bias. I believe FoF is an extremely powerful card that keeps your position as the dominant deck late game. Sure, 7 mana? Have any of you learned the concepts of pre-wishing for a card in response to something stupid and irrelevant when your opponent's tap out? Okay, in response to your Mystic Enforcer I wish for FoF. Main 1, Swords, FoF/counters back up. So what have we learned about FoF from my previous post on FoF? FoF is to keep the opponent inferior late game if you lack gas in your hand or if you want to outplay your opponent.

As for Stifle, I dont think you really need it if you have Stifle? If you want to protect a land, then wish for Teferi's Response. Want to counter a Goblin CIP trigger? Wish for BEB. Wanna fuck combo over? Wish for Extirpate. Seriously, all the cards you want to stop with Stifle, other cards in your Sideboard can do it better.

Please my friend could you suggest me which build of landstill are you playing and how to side versus the different meta please?
    I'll PM you my list and how I side and what cards + Sideboards I use. I also suggest you talk to DIF who is an absolutely amazing Landstill player. He'll help you a lot with many all things Cunning-Landstill.

another point : to run or not to run Fact in maindeck if not in main deck for sure it will be in the side but if our goal is to get any kind of card advantage cunin->tutor->standstill is agood option?
    Thanks.
    I think Cunning Wish -> Tutor -> Standstill is worthless because it cant help you recover from bad positions really. It's only a play to keep your opponent inferior off a +1 card advantage. FoF, unlike ETutor -> Standstill, at least can help you find out what your opponent's afraid of and so you can adjust accordingly so that you can remain to keep your opponent's inferior or you can use FoF to dig for DoJ to end the game quickly. Also, unlike ETutor -> Standstill, you still get a draw step or you're making more CA (and CQ) in the long run because it doesnt interfere with your draw step.

As for FoFs maindeck, I am such a huge advocate of them. I know I pulled a Richard Feldman and was quite greedy during testing, as he suggested, the only way you will ever know certain cards can be helpful to you is if you were greedy and ran multiple copies. I cut Brainstorms to play 4 FoFs. Then I went for a 3 FoF 3 BS configuration. You know what the conclusion was? I absolutely love FoF! But due to lack of room, I'm afraid you cant run more than 2 copies maindeck. I wouldn't cut Brainstorms because the format is really fast right now and really does require that you have a certain set of cards by a given turn. FoF can't dig for those cards unless you stall until you made enough land drops to make FoF count. Luckily, by just running 2 Copies and 3 Wishes, I'm sure you'll find an opportunity to find an FoF. Also, I wrote a giant post on FoF and my love for them. Check it out if you want to read my explanation for why it is an amazing card. Seriously, nobody makes perfect piles, and even if they're near perfect, analyze the situation carefully and you learn to play correctly against your opponent.

I wouldn't advocate on not running FoFs maindeck since this deck lacks fuel quickly, so you could look into something like Compulsive Research, but it's crap because of it's sorcery-ness. But DIF's list has done well without it since he was using Cunning Wish as a card advantage supplement slot, so run something if you want, as long as it makes sense; like alternative counters or maindeck Crucibles of Worlds which can make-up for your lack of card draw. Also, make sure you evaluate your meta carefully because some cards work in fast metagames and other cards dont. For example, Absorb is slow so it wouldnt be that great in a fast metagame but against fast decks, you can pitch it to FoW. Mana Leak can both be pitched to FoW and be used aggressively against fast decks while it lacks some leverage against slower decks. Crucible of Worlds absolutely sucks against faster decks while it absolutely shines against some slower decks.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaSava View Post
    What should i cut in the Sb for a Fact or Fiction? 1 Meddling Mage?
    Or you could cut BEB. FoF, imo, is a personal preference. If you want to know my theory on the Wish-board, I believe that it should be built off metagame calls, general targets, and personal preferences. And to emphasize on the personal preferences, I believe players should only wish for cards they feel comfortable wishing for. Some players like me have an extensive experience with Fact or Fiction so we plan ahead to Wish for FoF and casting it and picking great piles, while others have an extensive experience playing with other whacky cards like Haunting Hymn against control and Tsabo's Decree against tribal decks. So play cards that you feel comfortable playing because I dont expect many players to play cards like FoF properly. Also, I'm sure it took awhile before players got used to playing Slaughter Pact.

Quote Originally Posted by Serbitar View Post
    Goblins plays Price of Progress?
    I already found the goblin matchup not that easy with Plagues [Hell, I even lost once with on board Humility and Pulse against hordes of then 1/1s (I was topdecking badly obviously)], but haven't really tested with Halos. I guess not having to worry about black mana can be a bonus against 8-Denial Goblins. Luckily it's not that common a matchup anymore.
    Even if it is a common match-up, it seems to be that the only reason why I lost most of games against them is due to lack of draw and lack of a quick win condition, that and a combination of Price of Progress. Also, being paranoid is good, so be preparing for PoP, I also prepare against Dragon Stompy as well. So much isnt really lost there.

As for the Vial Goblin match-up, I truly think that cards like Sphere of Law is amazing against them. I mean, it's easy; keep removal and Piledriver from doing anything. If you feel those are narrow cards, run CoP: Red. Right now, I'm using 3 Runed Halo and Ajani Goldmane. Ajani is awesome; it makes wins faster, makes tokens deadlier, gains life, and stalls the game into oblivion. Runed Halo is awesome too because it does things like answer randomness or keep Piledriver from being a pain.
    Last edited by Citrus-God; 07-16-2008 at 08:52 PM.

I see that in DIF's List plays only 23 lands, i'm often, not very often, but often with 24 lands screwed. I know this list plays two Eternal Dragon, but is that enough? I'll test the list from DIF this saturday on a tournament

May 2005
    Thursday...

I see that in DIF's List plays only 23 lands, i'm often, not very often, but often with 24 lands screwed.
    I tested the list with only 5 colorless sources and 2 Eternal Dragons. Sometimes, those would screw up my opening hand. To be honest though, it never truly bothered me because the chances of the combination of those 7 cards screwing up my opening hand is slim. If you're concerned with getting a specific color, you could cut a Factory for an actual color producing land or another fetchland.

I now this list plays two Eternal Dragon, but is that enough? I'll test the list from DIF this saturday on a tournament
    If you feel that a land is more important that a Dragon, then I suggest you cut that Dragon for another land. DIF only ran the 2nd Dragon because of the lack of win conditions this deck draws. It was more of a personal preference on his part to be honest. As funny as it is, this is also why he added the 4th Factory back in.

May 2008

I have a question to everybody in the post:
    What about substituiting Return to dust by Fracturing gust. versus decks like Enchantress, Affinity and Stax
    This archetype is suposed to work worse than the 4 colour build because of not playing pernis, so I think this card is a must in the side for cunnin option.
    Everybody agree?

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

I have a question to everybody in the post:
    What about substituting Return to dust by Fracturing gust. versus decks like Enchantress, Affinity and Stax
    This archetype is supposed to work worse than the 4 colour build because of not playing Pernicious Deed, so I think this card is a must in the side for cunning option.
    Everybody agree?
    Read the thread please - this was brought up on the last page (link). Close to all your other points (Outpost, Stifles etc.) have also been brought up in the past - either in this thread or in the old one (found here).

What should I cut in the Sb for a Fact or Fiction? 1 Meddling Mage?
    I wouldn't play the sideboard Fact or Fiction at all - Cunning Wish for Fact or Fiction is just incredibly slow. I had it in the very first incarnation of Cunning Landstill (almost a year ago) and I wished for it exactly once during all my testing and tournament play and even in that occasion it was pretty bad. Also, if you want a 'Card Advantage' Wish target, I'd go with Enlightened Tutor. On a neutral board it does something similar than Fact or Fiction (it puts you into a dominant position by fetching Humility) and on a bad board it better than Fact or Fiction as it can get you Engineered Explosives or Nevinyrral's Disk which are both as fast or faster than Fact while being more reliable (there's a chance that you don't find removal in the FoF).

I see that in DIF's List plays only 23 lands, I'm often, not very often, but often with 24 lands screwed. I know this list plays two Eternal Dragon, but is that enough? I'll test the list from DIF this saturday on a tournament
    Well I was close to always flooded with more than 23 lands and am still so rather frequently now - hitting land drops is really not that hard with 23 lands + 2 Eternal Dragons (which is the equivalent of playing 25 mana sources). If you play a little carefully (i.e. fetch Basics first to avoid Wasteland, keep Brainstorms in hand to dig for lands when you need them etc.) you shouldn't have any problems.
    You might get some opening hands with only 1 land and an Eternal Dragon and have to mulligan these, but this rather unlikely event does no where near outweigh the pros of playing more Eternal Dragons (beaters) - having access to more beaters is essential in my opinion: nowadays, more and more decks can actually recover during the time you've taken control of the game but not won yet, be it by finding an Intuition or any other sort of engine or just by drawing into enough good stuff an protection. To keep your opponent's window of opportunity small, you have to be able to apply more pressure after taking control of the game - Eternal Dragons, more Decree of Justices and a full set of Mishra's Factories help great deal in this matter.

May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Der_imaginäre_Freund View Post
    The question really should be whether Fracturing Ghust is that much better than Return to Dust to merit a slot in the already rather tight sideboard - Return to Dust has an easier to obtain mana cost and still hell of a strong effect as even against Stax or Enchantress there are only rarely more than two relevant Artefacts/Enchantments on the board. Also, the fact that Return to Dust removes the cards from the game can be randomly useful too (e.g. against Modular or Academy Ruins).
    As the consent seems to be that Fracturing Ghust can not really replace another Disenchant effect in the Wishboard, I'd say that it's too narrow and that it doesn't offer a significant enough plus in power if compared to Return to Dust to warrant a slot.

As already stated, Engineered Explosives is very good against Counterbalance - max out on these first. If you then still feel as though you don't have enough outs to it, I'd go with a single Nevinyrral's Disk in the place of one Wrath of God which is not only a good Enlightened Tutor target but which also offers a nice out to Blood Moon and all sorts of other randomness. The fact that it is a turn slower than Wrath hurts sometimes, but, if you plan a little ahead and if you know what you're doing, you should be able to work around this too.
    What happen with Return to Dust is that it to be effective has to been played as a sorcery, that is an issue I dont like for this reason : however if our opponent has played tangle wire( stuff we dont really want to counter because we have to handle other more important troubles), the fact that F.Gust is instant can avoid this problem. Ill test it and I'll tell you, I really like the idea of Nevinirral maindeck instead 1 WoG.

My definately list will be :
    // Lands (25)
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    4 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    2 Plains
    3 Island
    1 Tolaria West
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Mishra's Factory
    1 Wasteland // I really find the slot of atleast 1 wasteland as a must
    1 Kjeldoran outpost // I want to try this card instead 1 decree slot

// Winconditions (3)
    1 Eternal Dragon // one dragon is enough in my oppinion , playin 25 lands
    2 Decree of Justice

// Card Advantage (12)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Standstill
    3 Cunning Wish // I like the 3 cunnin slot in some match ups we are
    //desperatly waiting to draw this gem F.ex : burn(Pulse) or versus loam(Ext) , no fact
    //because it 'll be in the side I recognize its too good to not to play it in anyway,
    1 Crucible of worlds // I don't really understand why you dont carry at
    //least one in maindeck (it can be searched via wish->tutor)

// Permission (8)
    4 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will

// Removal (12)
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Wrath of God
    1 Nevinyrral's Disk // I'm soo happy because of this innovating idea,
    2 Humility
    3 Engineered Explosives

/// Sideboard (15 cards)
    4 Meddling Mage
    3 Runed Halo
    2 Extirpate
    1 Slaughter Pact
    1 Pulse of the Fields
    1 Fracturing gust
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Fact or fiction
    1 Tormod's Crypt

//In here I've substituited 1 extirpate by 1 tormods because of the tutor way
    //to looking for it, F.Gust is a card I really want to test. it seems to be quite
    //powerfull, althoutgh its difficult mana cost, and the 1 BEB by 1 FoF is
    //just preference, but I recognize I dont really want to face a Gobbos decks
    //without my anhelated Plagues independently we play 1 BEB or not.
    // Another point is to play Dismantle blow as a both 1FoF and 1Return to dust slot and leave place for the 1BEB.

//Another question how to side vs archetypes like B/W Confidant or Eva
    //Green thats why I think FoF is a must in at least in side. In here Halos are a
    //house. To put or not to put in Mages if so what to name?

Impresions?

One-Two little Question:
    What do you think about playing 61 Cards? I know this is suboptimal, but i want to play wasteland/CoW so i cut in DIFs list 1 Decree for a Crucible, but i doenst find a slot in the manabase(which does't make the base too instabile) for a wasteland, so i thougt over playing 61 cards. What do you mean?
    @pelikanudo
    the return to dust removes the Artifacts/Enchantments, which is important in the mirror.

EDIT:
    One more question
    How looks you boarding plan against Mirror, NQG, DS, Deadguy?

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

One-Two little Question:
    What do you think about playing 61 Cards? I know this is suboptimal, but i want to play wasteland/CoW so i cut in DIFs list 1 Decree for a Crucible, but i doenst find a slot in the manabase(which does't make the base too instabile) for a wasteland, so i thougt over playing 61 cards. What do you mean?
    I wouldn't play more than 5 colourless sources so I'd just cut a Mishra's Factory for a Wasteland - I don't really recommend this change though.
    One of my last builds, recently piloted to a top8 finish by Nicolai Ruckel (list found here), might be to your liking.

One more question
    How looks you boarding plan against Mirror, NQG, DS, Deadguy?
    Using this list as reference for the boarding.

Mirror
    -2 Wrath of God
    -2 Humility
    -1 Engineered Explosives
    -4 Standstill
    +4 Meddling Mage
    +2 Extirpate
    +3 Runed Halo

Balanced NQG
    -1 Eternal Dragon
    -1 Decree of Justice
    -1 Fact or Fiction
    +3 Runed Halo

Non-Balanced NQG
    -2 Cunning Wish
    -1 Decree of Justice
    -1 Nevinyrral's Disk
    -1 Eternal Dragon
    +3 Runed Halo
    +2 Extirpate

Dragon Stompy
    -1 Fact or Fiction
    -1 Standstill
    -1 Counterspell
    +3 Runed Halo

Deadguy
    -1 Counterspell
    -1 Nevinyrral's Disk
    -2 Cunning Wish
    +3 Runed Halo
    +1 Enlightened Tutor

The boarding plans are by no means definitive though - I'm always looking for input in this matter.

Thread Information