Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTG Card Linker

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

MTG Card Linker

So, Tosh turned me on to this, and I really like it. Basically what it does is, for the websites specified, it recognizes card names (provided proper spelling) and turns them into link for the card on MagicCards.info. It essentially gives you autocard links in whatever website you want (namely, The Source).

Just follow the instructions on the site, download the GreaseMonkey extension for Firefox (sorry, IE users), then download and install the user script. What you end up getting is this:

Now, that's all well and good, except that the links, IMO, are fucking ugly. So, being the nice person/awesome guy that I am, I dug into the source code and figured out how to modify it so the links look a little prettier:

And, I'm such a nice guy that instead of giving you complicated instructions on how to modify it yourself I just made an alternate file.
    Click here for it.

Now, it doesn't have the Source included in the list of sites it automatically works for, but you can add it by going to Tools->GreaseMonkey->Manage User Scripts, then click 'Add'. It will default to "http://www.mtgthesource.com/*" (the * is a wildcard), but it's better to use "http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?*" so you don't have card links from the main page.

Then, if you ever wonder what a card name is, you can just click, and it will pop up. Pretty nifty, if I do say so myself.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Re: MTG Card Linker

And you get to see links to all the cards that people use as their name, right?

Nightmare, for example?

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    And you get to see links to all the cards that people use as their name, right?

Nightmare, for example?
    Actually, no. I figured you would from inside threads, but it doesn't seem to override normal linking. And by that I mean that I just clicked on your username and the card didn't pop up.

I am assuming that if someone puts your name in a post, however, that it will probably link to the card (see Parcher in the pics I posted, it links the 'parch' part to the card Parch).

Best way to find out is to try it, you can always uninstall.

edit: What's even weirder, is that even though it links the 'Parch' in 'Parcher' to a card for me, it doesn't link 'Nightmare' to anything, even when it's inside a post.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

<3

Jun 2006
    Kenmore, WA

Yeah, this thing is awesome. I really like it. It is a bit fussy but w/e it works most of the time. I use the modified version that Pinder has (prettier than that ugly yellow background & shit).

GOB: The Gathering
    Dec 2007

Umm... I don't see it in action.

EDIT:
    Oddly, on a bookmarked page (the Smallpox discussion thread) EVERY PAGE BUT THIS ONE, it works. The monkey says "MTG Card Linker by..." but on THIS page it says "No scripts installed" even though they're different tabs in the same window...

EDIT 2: Seems to work on this page now. I had to open it from the "New Posts" link -- it wouln't activate if I just pasted the link into a new tab... oddly enough...
    Last edited by mujadaddy; 03-26-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: ...because I figured it out...

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Wait so what do I have to do to get this? I clicked on your second link Pinder and all it showed me was some text I didnt understand, how do I get GreaseMonkey or whatever under my Tools menu, and then what do I need to do? Sorry, Im kinda computer illiterate or something

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Go to the first link, and download GreaseMonkey (it's a Firefox extension), then click the second link that I provided for the prettier autocard links. Once you have GraseMonkey installed on Firefox, it should pop up and install the user script for the card linker after that.

To recap: Download GreaseMonkey from the first link, then, click the second link. Then enjoy autocard goodness.
    -Slay

Author MTG Card Linker

Mar 2008
    Sweden

I'm glad that you like my code!

When I think about it I agree with you - my links looks quite nasty... If I remember it I will change the look of them the next time I update the extension with new cards.

About "Nightmare" - I'm not sure why it isn't linked - I may have to look into that as well for the next version.
    Freelance webdeveloper at Pelles Kodfabrik and author of the MTG Card Linker

<3

Jun 2006
    Kenmore, WA

@Vox: I <3 you. I've looked at that code and it's just amazing. All I can think of is how much of a total pain in the ass a new set must be. All the rest of us look forward to it :P

Feb 2007
    United Kingdom

For some reason, when I download Pinder's "custom" code, all the autocard links link to YouTube, some video. So I have settled on the ugly, yet functional version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halted Asylum View Post
    Force of Will is terrible with Bob, i rather Mana Leak.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by PhanTom_lt View Post
    For some reason, when I download Pinder's "custom" code, all the autocard links link to YouTube, some video. So I have settled on the ugly, yet functional version.

Did Pinder just RickRoll the entire Source?!

On a more serious note; This is kinda cool. I normally kept a tab open to Gatherer or something so I could look up a card that was being discussed if I had no idea what it did out of force of habbit, but this is rather nifty. I'll look into it.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Holy shit that script is fucking crazy. The source code, I mean. hahahahahaha
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedAngel View Post
    Did Pinder just RickRoll the entire Source?!
    Alright, alright, it's been long enough. I'll come clean. When I modified the code to adjust the link color and get rid of the background I also changed the link from a magicccard.info autocard for the appropriate card to a YouTube RickRoll, changing every single card name in every thread on the Source into a RickRoll link.

I'd like to thank:

• Tosh, for telling me about the script.
    • Vox, for writing such an awesomely useful (and abusable ) GreaseMonkey script. It really is an awesome tool.
    • mujadaddy, for editing his post once he realized what was going on.
    • Bardo, for erasing a few posts from people who didn't.
    • Zach Tartell, for making me realize how awesome the list function is
    • Me, for forgetting I had the RickRoll version installed and accidentally rickrolling myself on more than one occasion.

For those interested, I uploaded a pretty and functional script file, so the link in my post above should install free of RickRoll now. Of course, I kept the RickRoll version, if anyone is interested in messing with a friend's head...
    -Slay

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Wow its a good thing Im so lazy and incompetent, or else I woulda gotten rickrolled like all these suckers. Well played sir.

'Moving from topic to topic... quite hypnotic'
    Jun 2005
    Melbourne, Australia

Yeah, glad I wasn't too quick to grab this ;)

Works great though!

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

We need a new user category. "Winner of the Source", or "Source Hero", something like that. For Pinder.

Nice work, Vox. I am always having to run over to StarCity to look up cards-this is pretty awesome!
    InfoNinjas

<3

Jun 2006
    Kenmore, WA

I have a request: Add in some of the most common abbreviations. I've done this in my script but other might want to as well. I mean, we know what these abbreviations and we probably don't need them but if you go along those same lines you might as well not include the actual ones either.

Heres a general list:
    stp = Swords to Plowshares
    goyf = Tarmogoyf
    cb = Counterbalance
    top = Sensei's Divining Top
    bs = Brainstorm
    fow = Force of Will
    wog = Wrath of God
    ee = Engineered Explosives

Feb 2007
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
    I have a request: Add in some of the most common abbreviations. I've done this in my script but other might want to as well. I mean, we know what these abbreviations and we probably don't need them but if you go along those same lines you might as well not include the actual ones either.

Heres a general list:
    stp = Swords to Plowshares
    goyf = Tarmogoyf
    cb = Counterbalance
    top = Sensei's Divining Top
    bs = Brainstorm
    fow = Force of Will
    wog = Wrath of God
    ee = Engineered Explosives
    C'mon, everyone should know what these cards are. The linky program is for techy and obscure cards, which are a pain to search for in the gatherer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halted Asylum View Post
    Force of Will is terrible with Bob, i rather Mana Leak.

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

Bricks shat. Thanks Pinder and Vox for enriching my Source experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Author MTG Card Linker

Mar 2008
    Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by PhanTom_lt View Post
    C'mon, everyone should know what these cards are. The linky program is for techy and obscure cards, which are a pain to search for in the gatherer.
    The question is - would it be disturbing to have those abbreviations linked and would they appear out of context often?
    Otherwise it could perhaps be a good way of teaching new players which abbreviations to use.
    Freelance webdeveloper at Pelles Kodfabrik and author of the MTG Card Linker

Thread Information