Thread: How big is a Magic Card?

Do I look like a guy with a plan?
    Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

How big is a Magic Card?

I am trying to finish up my draft Cube and I need to proxy up some cards. I have 2 foil Moxen and I want to make the other 3 look the same. Someone cut a Pic of a mox out and put it over a basic land. I can't get the size just right when I go to replicate what they did. So, does any one exactly how big a magic card is in Pixels? I will post pics when I get home so people know what I am talking about.
    Team Fat Man & Little Boy

Quote Originally Posted by pingveno View Post
    On to stone rain, Clark Kant; is a 'timewalk' as good as a threat?

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Re: How big is a Magic Card?

I just go to findmagiccards.com and print them out . They are they perfect size and everything.

Anyway, go to gatherer and get the card picture on your screen. Press "prnt scrn" on your keyboard. Then, got to paint and paste it. Now I will delete the stuff that is not the card. Then you can resize it by going to Image and then stretch/skew. Just print a few out until one fits. Go to like 90%. That is what works for me, but it may be different for you.

Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    I just go to findmagiccards.com and print them out . They are they perfect size and everything.

Anyway, go to gatherer and get the card picture on your screen. Press "prnt scrn" on your keyboard. Then, got to paint and paste it. Now I will delete the stuff that is not the card. Then you can resize it by going to Image and then stretch/skew. Just print a few out until one fits. Go to like 90%. That is what works for me, but it may be different for you.
    I will try findmagiccards.com, I was doing it the way you suggested it and it was taking to long, not to mention I am lazy on top of that...Thanks!

GOB: The Gathering
    Dec 2007

How many Exalted Angels can dance on the edge of a Magic card?

Pixels are not measured, they are the term used for viewing images in various programs.
    Last edited by insertnamehere; 04-25-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Doh
    The return of a Legend(in his own words)

Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by insertnamehere View Post
    Pixels are not measured, they are the term used for viewing images in various programs.
    Thanx for clearing that up...

So, does any one exactly how big a magic card is in Pixels
    The correlation between a size in pixels (number of dots) and the actual size (in meters, centimeters, inches, whatever) is

Actual_size = Pixel_size * pixels_per_length_unit

with pixels_per_length_unit being a number expressed in "dpi" (dots per inch) if the length unit is the inch. When expressed in dpi, a usual value of this coefficient is 72 (basic pc monitor/display value), but that's just to give an example.

What you want to know first is the Actual_size of the frame, so that when you print it, well, it has correct actual dimensions. To get it, just take one of your physical cards and a ruler, and measure it.

Then, go find a numerical picture of the frame. This picture will have a certain number of pixels (width and height). Knowing these pixel dimensions, you will then have to define the correct value of the "pixels_per_length_unit" you want to print it with so that the printed result has the correct actual size - which is given by the aforementioned formula.

Thread Information