Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] UBGx Landstill

Hybrid View

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

[Deck] UBGx Landstill

This is a companion to the UW(x) Landstill thread, but is focused on the versions of Landstill that:
    1) use white as a support color, if that;
    2) typically incorporate Pernicious Deed as part of their control suite.

Examples include BHWC/BHWW Landstill, Tacosnape's 4c list and others.

In the coming days, this opening post will be developed with lists, questions for discussion, strategic and tactical observations, relevant tournament results and other things that make for a quality opening post in this here forum. Stay tuned!

Tacosnape's U/b/g/w list:

4 Tundra
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Tropical Island
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Nantuko Monestary

4 Brainstorm
    4 Standstill
    3 Jace Beleren
    1 Life From The Loam

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Pernicious Deed
    3 Diabolic Edict

4 Force of Will
    4 Counterspell
    3 Stifle

1 Crime // Punishment
    1 Extirpate

Sideboard:
    4 Meddling Mage
    4 Blue Elemental Blast
    3 Extirpate
    2 Engineered Plague
    2 Krosan Grip

Team Bitches & Hoes West Coast (now World Wide) Landstill Primer

BHWC/BHWW Landstill
    (Top 8 GenCon 2006)

4 Brainstorm
    4 Standstill
    3 Fact or Fiction
    3 Stifle

4 Force of Will
    4 Counterspell

4 Pernicious Deed
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Disenchant
    2 Crucible of Worlds

4 Flooded Strand
    3 Tundra
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Tropical Island
    4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Nantuko Monastery
    3 Wasteland
    1 Plains

Sideboard
    4 Blue Elemental Blast
    4 Engineered Plague
    4 Meddling Mage
    3 Duress

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007
    Michigan, specificly Lansing

Re: [DtB] U/b/g/w and U/b/g Landstill

"Agh my time has come" - Referance to snl celebrity jeapordy.

oh and also "Edit" Second! first if you dont count the intro!

That said great intro bardo and to point out both those still lists are excellent.

I really like taco's list as it abuses the black splash more, although it does give up the raw dog power of deed, it is much better in alot of cases then 99.99% of the lists you will see here.

As for the team list it does look a bit outdated to me. 2 md disenchant I think backs my argument, but I could be wrong.

A personal taste for me is the 4c_wish_still that der/wasteland play. It abuses right about everything one can abuse and has a pretty fair matchup against the field, - dragon stompy and moon thresh. Two decks that feel like shifts in the metagame this winter, but are slowly being drowned as people just don't fall for blood moon anymore.

For referance heres der/ wasteland's list.

// Lands
    1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
    4 [ON] Flooded Strand
    1 [UNH] Island
    1 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (2)
    1 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (1)
    1 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (4)
    1 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (3)
    1 [UNH] Plains
    1 [ON] Polluted Delta
    1 [B] Savannah
    1 [B] Scrubland
    1 [B] Tropical Island
    4 [B] Tundra
    2 [B] Underground Sea
    1 [TE] Wasteland
    2 [ON] Windswept Heath
    1 [FUT] Tolaria West

// Creatures
    1 [SC] Eternal Dragon

// Spells
    4 [IA] Brainstorm
    4 [IA] Counterspell
    1 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
    2 [JU] Cunning Wish
    2 [SC] Decree of Justice
    2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    2 [TE] Humility
    1 [RAV] Life from the Loam
    4 [AP] Pernicious Deed
    4 [OD] Standstill
    4 [IA] Swords to Plowshares

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [B] Blue Elemental Blast
    SB: 3 [UL] Engineered Plague
    SB: 1 [MI] Enlightened Tutor
    SB: 3 [PLC] Extirpate
    SB: 4 [PS] Meddling Mage
    SB: 1 [DS] Pulse of the Fields
    SB: 1 [RAV] Seed Spark
    SB: 1 [FUT] Slaughter Pact

The one thing I really enjoy about this list is humility. I can personally tell you that humility not only wins games, but it can create huge virtual card advantage just by pulling a cycling speed wrath with doj the very next turn IF even neccesary. As far as general direction of the deck I don't like the recently added 4th deed to the md. It does bring a bit more consistency, but it sacrifices speed which isn't something the deck needs in my opinion. Landstill as a general principle is all about consistency already and taking away 2 early tempo killers like spell snare for a 3 drop removal spell and I believe an extra land is almost not even worth it to me.

Now I don't mean to be negative at all, because this deck is amazing and has only done me well in games I thought were unwinnable for the landstill archtype as a whole.

That said I hope I gave der/ wasteland's list the mad props they deserve.

I use to play landstil too, but I don't like these lists for many reasons.

Tacosnape's U/b/g/w list:

The manabase is quite regular, 6 fetch, 4x duals, no basic land and 6 colorless land. Good

then....

4 Brainstorm
    4 Standstill
    3 Jace Beleren
    1 Life From The Loam

I can't understand these choices.

Jace Beleren is just an utility, it allows us and our opponent to draw and it can make opponent's tarmogoyf bigger. The matter is: why are we playing jace? Maybe because we need to draw? then it's better to play fact or fiction. maybe because we need a finisher? Jace isn't the best finisher we can find. Maybe I'm dull and I can't see how strong jace is in this deck, but I don't like it and that's it.

About Life from the Loam. Some people prefer it to crucible of Worlds. The question is: why?
    Life from the loam is "eternal", we can dredge and return it in hand but if we dredge we can't draw but as we are a control deck we must draw as much as we can.
    "if life from the loam is countered or forced to discard, we can play it from grave". Land recursion isn't such important in this deck. It is an utility and that means we can win even without lftl or crucible. lftl or crucible help us with mana screw and are useful to make manlands return in play, but it isn't a major problem. So I think it isn't worth to lose a strong card like crucible to keep a card that isn't good in this deck, only because we are afraid that the opponent can discard or counter it.

We have 3 diabolic edict in addition to stp. This is a choice, I think, referred to an aggro meta. Landstill suffers against aggro, so I'm agree with it

In the end, I see 1xExtirpate . Is this a personal tech, isn't it?

BHWC/BHWW Landstill
    (Top 8 GenCon 2006)

As to me this list is quite better, even if some questionables points like:

-disenchant main deck(I think it's against needle, so, as to me, it's better e.e and crime\punishment),
    -mono plains (is it against magus of the moon?)
    -the third nantuko, that is useless in the early and middle game.

I think that both these list havenìt an alternative finisher other then manlands.

What about tarmogoyf? and tombstalker? The first is quick and big, a good shield and great beater. The second is a bit slower but it can fly and sometimes it is even bigger.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Andr3a; 05-01-2008 at 05:06 AM.

Boats n Hoes
    Aug 2007
    CC , TX

Quote Originally Posted by Andr3a View Post
    As to me this list is quite better, even if some questionables points like:

-disenchant main deck(I think it's against needle, so, as to me, it's better e.e and crime\punishment),
    -mono plains (is it against magus of the moon?)
    -the third nantuko, that is useless in the early and middle game.

I think that both these list havenìt an alternative finisher other then manlands.

What about tarmogoyf? and tombstalker? The first is quick and big, a good shield and great beater. The second is a bit slower but it can fly and sometimes it is even bigger.

What do you think?
    This list was from 2006 Gencon and Tarmogoyf and Magus of the Moon did not exist. This list is quite outdated and would need an overhaul to match up with the current metagame.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Because I haven't had a lot of opportunity to play lately, and I've done some development with the deck that I think can benefit the masses playing Landstill, I'd like to post my most recent list for discussion, as well. It's not the stereotypical list, by any means, and I expect some questions on my card choices, so I'll attempt to explain them as best as I can. So here it is:

EPIC UBg Landstill - Adam Barnello

4 Underground Sea
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Wasteland

4 Brainstorm
    4 Standstill
    2 Jace Beleren
    1 Life From The Loam

3 Vendetta
    4 Pernicious Deed
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Crime // Punishment

4 Force of Will
    4 Counterspell
    3 Stifle
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Moment's Peace

Sideboard - (Tuned to Metagame):
    4 Blue Elemental Blast
    3 Extirpate
    3 Vedalken Shackles
    3 Engineered Plague

The cards I'm sure that stand out in that list are Vendetta and Moment's Peace. So here's why.

Vendetta - Even with 8 Fetchlands, I hate having to rely on having one in play on turn 1 for Ghastly Demise to be able to kill Goblin Lackey. You're basically utilizing a card (GD) that is terrible early, and excellent mid to late game. Why? I'm under the impression, and I don't think I'm wrong, that Landstill has one of the best late games out of any deck in Legacy. You don't need the boost there, you need it early, when you're trying to stabalize and drag the game into the lategame, where you dominate. So I've used Vendetta, which is still not StP, but better early than GD. The card isn't without flaws. It's difficult to adequately deal with a large-ish Goyf with Vendetta. However, access to Deed, Punishment, and Spell Snare takes care of that, as does Shackles from the board. Neither GD nor Vendetta can deal with Doran or Tombstalker, so that point is moot.

Moment's Peace (aka 2x Time Walk) - This works under the same principle as Vendetta; that Landstill is best suited to play the long game. Moment's Peace buys you a million turns. Well, 4, but that's plenty. If any of you remember playing Standard and Extended when Wake was big, you can recall how frustrating it was to have to fight through multiple Fogs. Now, Wake was a little better at capitalizing on those fogs, because of DoJ, but we have the excellent Pernicious Deed to mop the floor, which is similar in overall effect.

The one thing I'm having issues with in this deck is the lack of win conditions. However, I don't think saying "add 4 goyf" is the right solution. I'd like to see some kind of "real" win condition in the deck that exploits something other than the combat step, and isn't Jace - who is awesome, despite what you may have heard. I'll get to that in a second. I've been strongly considering the following changes to the deck:

-2 Spell Snare
    -1 Crime//Punishment
    -1 Stifle
    -1 Wasteland

+3 Intuition
    +1 Mindslaver
    +1 Academy Ruins

This would allow me to effectively Intuition for the Slave lock, by getting Ruins, LftL, Slaver. I've never had an issue with throwing a million land in play, and I think the ability to lock someone with Mindslaver is something this format is desperately lacking. It's worth considering, anyway.

On Jace - The naysayers are correct when they assume that he replaces the FoFs. They are incorrect if they think he provides card advantage to the opponent. There are three things Jace can do, all of which are desirable for Landstill:

1) He can ramp up when you're in control of the board, and win the game on his own. This is very, very rarely the way to use him in this deck.
    2) He can go -1, -1, +2 over and over again, netting you three cards to your opponent's one card every cycle. This is the way you want to play with him. It's a permanent source of card advantage, and if you use him this way for more than a few turns, it's pretty friggin hard to lose the game.
    3) He cantrips and then they kill it, providing you with a fog. That's fine, you've just invested no cards into survivng one more turn towards your goal of the lategame.

He's good folks. I wouldn't lie to you about it.

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Vendetta
    If this is solely intended as a better out to Goblin Lackey and to survive the early game, wouldn't Innocent Blood be better? It still deals with creatures early but doesn't hit you for infinite later in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Intuition
    I feel as if Intuition could be pretty good in Landstill, especially since it allows you to play a mini-toolbox via Life from the Loam [1 Wasteland, 1 Academy Ruins, 1 Engineered Explsoves etc.] and because it is pretty broken in conjunction with Moment's Peace (maybe add the third one?).
    I'm not sure if Mind Slaver is maindeck material though (stuff that's only good in the lategame is always borderline winmore - especially if there are no applications for the earlygame) - seems way too clunky, maybe in the board for the control mirrors?

Maybe try something along these lines:

-2 Spell Snare
    -1 Crime//Punishment
    -1 Stifle
    -3 Vendetta
    -1 Land (Underground Sea | Tropical Island | Island)

+3 Innocent Blood
    +3 Intuition
    +1 Academy Ruins
    +1 Engineered Explosives

I'm also not too fond of 2 Stifles... I have never really liked them and so I'm probably biased, but two seems like the worst possible number you could be running, especially since you want them early or never. You could possibly cut them totally for Moment's Peace n°3 and another removal or try to fit the third one back in.

Variant 1:
    -2 Stifle
    +1 Moment's Peace
    +1 Vedalken Shackles (?)

Variant 2:
    -1 Diabolic Edict (easiest cut slot as you already have quite a lot of removal)
    +1 Stifle

Variant 3:
    -2 Diabolic Edict
    +1 Stifle
    +1 Moment's Peace

I like that last variant most: you still play 8 'hard' removal spells (3 Innocent Blood, 1 Engineered Explosives, 4 Pernicious Deed) and have a terrific lategame-removal-plan via Intuition as well as having access to more tempo cards than either of the variants above (3 Stifle, 3 Moment's Peace).
    Team SPOD - ...land of the brave...

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

There's two reasons I hate Innocent Blood.

1 - It's a Sorcery. Yuck. If I was going to play Sorcery Speed removal, why would I play Diabolic Edict over Chainer's Edict.
    2 - Vendetta targets, which is something I actually do want out of my StP replacement. Obviously Turn 1 Lackey on the draw is important to consider, which is why it's 1cc, but it's not the only consideration. I'd still like to be able to kill SGC, for example, since it's harder to Deed away, and neither Innocent Blood nor Edict will take care of it. I'd like to be the one deciding which creatures I kill, if you know what I mean.

Aug 2009
    Seattle, WA

Re: [DTW] U/b/g/w and U/b/g Landstill

would Thoughtseize work in a ubg landstill deck?
    Favorite Card: Dark Depths

Quote Originally Posted by umbowta View Post
    Nah, more like OJ Simpson being an expert on collectibles and leather gloves. Tiger was just suffering the ill effects of a golf club to the dome.

Feb 2007
    San Diego

Well... You have to remember, this is legacy, so everyone's decks are filled with good cards... Which means that if they are allowed time to draw cards, they will get good cards to play again.

Landstill is the definition of slow. You try to slowly squeeze the life out of your opponent with superior CQ and CA, eventually getting yourself to a point where you have a full hand and they have nothing... Then you proceed to kill them maliciously with your manlands.

So, no, thoughtseize is just not for landstill.

Aug 2009
    Seattle, WA

Ok and how does this list look:

lands - 23
    3 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    3 Island
    2 Swamp
    1 Forest
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Misty Rainforest

Spells: - 31
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Counterbalance
    2 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Force of Will
    3 Counterspell
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Standstill
    2 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Pernicious Deed
    3 Stifle
    2 Snuff out

Creatures - 6
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Tombstalker

Sideboard - 15 (duh =p)
    2 Pernicious Deed
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Krosan Grip
    3 Blue Elemental Blast
    3 Leyline of the Void
    3 Diabolic Edict

Anything that I should change?

Nah, more like OJ Simpson being an expert on collectibles and leather gloves. Tiger was just suffering the ill effects of a golf club to the dome.

Feb 2007
    San Diego

I just have to say no to that list entirely... I'm sorry, I am not trying to be mean or anything.

But... You should ALWAYS have four pernicious deed. That being said, there are a few card choices that are just not getting there:

snuff out

Tarmogoyf

counterbalance

Maelstrome pulse

Cricible of worlds

Here's why:

The two most common and most important permanents to be able to destroy with pulse happen to be goyf and counterbalance... If you run them yourself, you will eventually find yourself forced to rape your own stuff, which is bad.

Same problem with deed... Low CC permanents + deed= Nombo

Snuff out is simply a no, basically because you are a control deck, you don't want to be losing 4 life to one of your own spells... Life points and time are your ally, not your enemy.

I personally don't like crucible, but it can work at times. I run loam, as it can always come back to do its thing, has synergy with cards like brainstorm/top, and doesn't die to stupid shit like grip/pridemage.

You should also consider a white splash... Swords is the best removal in the format, it opens more SB options, and it gives you the best man-land of all time in Nantuko monastery.

Tombstalker can be low cc, and never dies to deed... with a 5/5 flying body it can race/do whatev... But it does turn on your opponent's spot removal that would otherwise be drawing you 3 cards.

Aug 2009
    Seattle, WA

ok, but how is my manabase?

The word is "Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa!"
    Sep 2007

Re: [Deck] UBGx Landstill

That doesn't work, TNN's ability is a static one, not a triggered one you could respond to, and Misdirection can't target abilities.
    "Attack with Order of the Ebon Hand."
    "K, block with Jotun Grunt?"
    "It has pro white."
    "Swords?"
    "It still has pro white."

Team OMRIAIGTWYFEWARTCAE Team RTD
    Twitter: @shawnldewey

Dec 2007
    Finland

Sure I did. I lost last round to horrendous mana flood when a win would have taken me to top 8. 30th place, 11-2-2. I'll write some more when I'm back home.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Oh boy, well done on such a fantastic result, but commiserations on the ending of the tournament... I look forward to reading the report!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Dec 2007
    Finland

The Source crashed when I was about to post it, but here's my list and mini report. I'll write a longer report with more non-MTG stuff on finnish website, but this shall do it here. The list:

8 fetch
    3 sea
    2 tropical
    2 bayou
    2 tar pit
    3 factory
    3 waste

4 drs
    1 clique

3 liliana
    3 jace

4 standstill
    3 deed

4 brainstorm
    2 snare
    2 disfigure
    3 decay
    4 force

3 seize
    1 loam

Side:

1 disfigure
    1 damnation
    1 loam
    4 tarmo
    2 clique
    2 flusterstorm
    2 blue elemental blast
    2 surgical

The main changes I made were factory -> DRS and Counterspell -> Liliana. I felt I had too few colored sources but at the same time too many lands, so cutting a colourless source for DRS seemed natural. I made room in SB for blasts as they are good in matchups that need most help: burn and anything with Blood Moon.

R1-2: BYE

R3 Luca BUG Delver 1-1-1

I lost G1 for using the wrong ability of DRS (lifegain) in response to his removal. Several turns later, I would have been able to race him with Tar Pit if I had chose otherwise by then. G3 he drew his own Loam and Tar Pit before mine, and got to play control game against me. When I finally archieved control we were already on extra turns.

R4 Julien UW Planeswalker control 2-1

I mulled to five 1st game and was stuck on two lands. Won the other two without much effort.

R5 Peter BG 2-1

The worst matchup: a slow player. It took three minutes just to get his staff out of his back. I called the judge when he was pileshuffling for second time after winning G1, and he played a bit faster whenever there was a judge around. I played in super ultra turbo mode and finished him off just on time.

R6 Hilbert Esperblade 2-0

A great matchup, I just casually beat him.

R7 Rasmus RUG Delver 1-1-1

Infinite grind, once again stabilized on extra rounds but this time would not have necessarily won as he could have just drawn another bolt.

R8 Cyril Deathblade 2-0

Nothing to tell here. Getting into draw bracket was in a way good thing, as there were only good matchups for me.

R9 Vidianto 2-0

He was visibly upset when I refused to draw him into day 2. I won the race with 2 shamans and Tar Pit leaving me at 1. Then he kept a hand that was weak to Wasteland and didn't draw another coloured source in time. Tough luck for him, but I wanted to make top 8, not just day 2.

Finished day 1 with 7-0-2, 5-1 would have needed to make top 8.

R10 Josué Jund 2-1

He had Punishing fire going from the beginning. Every time I was about to stabilize, he drew BB Elf and finally grinded me out. He also played slowly, and I had just 20 minutes to win two games. I bought in goyfs and went to turbo mode, leaving 6 minutes for the third game. I wasted his manabase into dust, played 2 second turns and won on extra turns.

R11 Javier (eventual winner) BUG Delver 2-0

First game I took total control at two life, and gave him no chances second game. He was nice enough to scoop early and not to play them out, giving us both some rest and time to scout for other decks. He was wondering how I can have two draws even though I play so fast. Oh man, you really don't know!

R12 Paul Lands 2-1

I got 1st turn Deathrite all three games, but was left one instant short to killing him 1st game while he topdecked depts combo parts back to back. Jace took over two other games.

R13 Loic Reanimator 1-2

I got some disruption 1st game but he had the nuts. His draws were worse second game. Third game he mulled to five and I kept 2x force, snare, four lands. Two Thoughtseizes and two more land draws later he was able to animate Asher Rider, after which i instantly drew an Extraction. Four more dead draws later it was over.

R14 Louis UWR Mystic 2-0

I demolished him in quick two games. I think he saw it coming, because he counted my deck before 1st game, desperately trying to find any way to win even a game.

R15 Stefan Deathblade 0-2

I knew he was on a fair deck and keeped a land-heavy hand. I drew nothing but lands, but was still able to trade my shamans for his Clique and Confidant and play a Standstill. Except I drew nothing but land from Standstill or any other way, and his increasing swarm of little creatures took me over. G2 I kept four lands and three spells. Several turns later my graveyard had those three spells and a Loam, my board was five lands and my hand was six lands. Meanwhile my opponent mulliganed to five and naturally drew all the right basics to cast his spells.

Final record: 11-2-2, 30th place, 400$ and massive annoyance.
    The best card: Deathrite Shaman
    The worst card: Verdant Catacombs (for showing up in multiples when the least needed)

I will be trying 4th Jace again for the next tournament, moving third Clique to the side. I think that's the best I can do to eliminate mana flood - the next step would be adding some Ponders, and I don't want to go there yet. I didn't need blue blasts whole tournament, but I will leave them there for now at least at local events. I might also try replacing one Tarmogoyf with a more dedicated combo hate, Swan Song maybe, as I only ever bring three of them against non-combo matchups, namely RUG and Jund.

The deck is awesome, as long as you can beat the clock. I know you are bound to lose some games to flood from time to time, but that happening twice in a row in that very spot was just heartbreaking.

Jun 2011
    Czech Republic

Gratz on your performance. I'm still resisting to play DRS and thoughtseizes because of standstill dissynergy (playing snapcasters and spell pierces). I don't have much time to play now but at the end of March there will be moderately big tournament so I'll test if my list works.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

That is one of the most disgusting land floods I've ever read about. Condolences. You would have been in the Top 8 for sure had it not happened. Well done again on your result!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Nastaboi,

You seem to have some trouble with Delver decks, in particular BUG Delver. Are there any changes you are considering to help with those matchups? I'm not saying they are bad matchups, I'm just saying judging by how popular the tempo decks are you would want to crush those decks and yet a lot of your matches vs them are very very close. Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Dec 2007
    Finland

I'm not losing to BUG Delver, I'm just losing to deviant Anyway, BUG Delver is very consistent and can't be easily hated. It might very well be the best deck right now, and while you can tune a deck to get a good matchup against it, you will never have a great matchup against it. I'd just add another Disfigure as they hit their tempo most, but don't want to butcher my whole side just to get another percentage point. Second Loam is important as it helps you not to just lose against double Wasteland, but everything in main except Thoughtseizes is already good against them.

Thread Information