Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] UBGx Landstill

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Re: [DtB] U/b/g/w and U/b/g Landstill

Quote Originally Posted by Anti~American4621 View Post
    They cast AEther Vial, you're trying to find a Deed. Only Stifle can stop them now.
    And yet, despite all the draw you have and all the draw Goblins doesn't have, you're suggesting that it's a more likely scenario that they can find an Aether Vial and you can't find a Deed, or have a Force, or your Crime//Punishment? More often than not, you're going to find more ways to stop Vial than they find Vials.

Even if they used a Grip to remove a Plague, you still have lots of plans to fall back on, like the Deed + Counters plan.
    But why do that when you can just not lose the Plague to Grip?

Oh, and, Grip stops Deed for most of the game also, as it'll be infrequent that you get enough mana to resolve a Deed -and- sweep their board without passing priority.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    And yet, despite all the draw you have and all the draw Goblins doesn't have, you're suggesting that it's a more likely scenario that they can find an Aether Vial and you can't find a Deed, or have a Force, or your Crime//Punishment? More often than not, you're going to find more ways to stop Vial than they find Vials.
    Yes, but it's very hard to force down your draw when they have a Standstill. I could care less about forcing down a Standstill when all that is in play is a Mogg Fanatic.

Even if you had more outs, you would lose if you dont answer the Vial. I will admit, this build is infinitely better than the older builds when it comes to fighting Vial Goblins, but it

But why do that when you can just not lose the Plague to Grip?

Oh, and, Grip stops Deed for most of the game also, as it'll be infrequent that you get enough mana to resolve a Deed -and- sweep their board without passing priority.
    Pwned on my part.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

My new List:

//Lands
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Polluted Delta
    3 Tundra
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Scrubland
    1 Savannah
    1 Plains
    4 Mirsha's Factory
    2 Nantuko Monastery
    2 Wasteland
    //24

//Creatures
    2 Eternal Dragon
    //2

//Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Standstill
    3 Fact or Fiction
    4 Force of Will
    4 Counterspell
    3 Stifle
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Pernicious Deed
    2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Crucible of Worlds
    //34

My meta-game is:
    1º Goblins
    2º ********
    Others:
    Deadguy
    Belcher
    Iggy Pop
    MUC
    UW Landstill

Suggestions?

Feb 2007
    San Diego

You only have 8 actual producents of blue within your deck (15 total if you include dragon & fetches)...

I don't think you need or want the dragon 'fetching' for plains in your deck, as this deck plays a lot more aggressively when it is trying to control the board... your mana-curve is not very high (well, not concentrated @ 4cc like UWb), and you therefore do not need the extra (in your case excess) amount of 'fetching'.

I would suggest just running 25 lands like this manabase (if you want wastes):

4 mishra's factory
    2 nantuku monastary
    3 wasteland
    4 tundra
    4 underground sea
    4 tropical island
    4 flooded strand

If you don't want wastes (don't think you need them):
    24 lands

4 mishra's factory
    2 monastary
    4 tundra
    4 underground sea
    4 tropical island
    6 fetches

Quote Originally Posted by thefreakaccident View Post
    You only have 8 actual producents of blue within your deck (15 total if you include dragon & fetches)...

I don't think you need or want the dragon 'fetching' for plains in your deck, as this deck plays a lot more aggressively when it is trying to control the board... your mana-curve is not very high (well, not concentrated @ 4cc like UWb), and you therefore do not need the extra (in your case excess) amount of 'fetching'.

I would suggest just running 25 lands like this manabase (if you want wastes):

4 mishra's factory
    2 nantuku monastary
    3 wasteland
    4 tundra
    4 underground sea
    4 tropical island
    4 flooded strand

If you don't want wastes (don't think you need them):
    24 lands

4 mishra's factory
    2 monastary
    4 tundra
    4 underground sea
    4 tropical island
    6 fetches

This really matters on the meta that your at. If you play at a place like mine wehre wastelands and sinkholes are huge, then you should run a manabase like this
    4 mishra's factory
    3 tundra
    3 underground sea
    3 tropical island
    6 fetches
    2 island
    1 basic of the color of enchantment removal in side, usually forest for grip
    (2 nantuko monastary if you run this in your version)

This really helps out specially if you add loam and such.
    With the basics, it really helps our alot, being able to just fetch for a basic island sometimes really can win the game.

But if your meta is filled with alot of threshold and not alot of wastelands run his first list deffinitly.

If i don't want Wasteland:
    -2 Cruicible
    +2 ???

May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by slaiter View Post
    -2 Cruicible
    +2 ???
    Fetchlands, Basics, Academy Ruins, Tolaria West... things like that.

Personally, I'd run more basic lands with all the Blood Moon running around.

Quote Originally Posted by slaiter View Post
    -2 Cruicible
    +2 ???
    Well it matters on your kill mech, if you have factory and monastary as your only kill mech then deffinitly you run the crucibles anywaze specially with the fetches and such. But if you run goyfs and such I would just run 1 loam in the place and give you an extra slot to play with.

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007
    Michigan, specificly Lansing

Theres a new viable combo deck in town and it's name is painters stone.

If any of you haven't seen it it runs painter's servent and grindstone. Cheap effective, and it can really dig in "pun intended" for wins.

The other half of this post is that it's VERY versatile because it is a completely colorless combo. Which makes it more splashable in decks that are already consistent then say counter top splashes.

Although the four color decks generally have a good matchup against this combo, i would like to bring it in as a discussion and see if it might be a light splashable combo for landstill. We have the creature protection and the ability to protect a measly artifact like grindstone, so discuss.

DONT JUST DISCUSS THE NEGATIVES PLEASE.

100%

Nov 2007
    Berkeley, CA

Quote Originally Posted by mossivo1986 View Post

If any of you haven't seen it it runs painter's servent and grindstone. Cheap effective, and it can really dig in "pun intended" for wins.

The other half of this post is that it's VERY versatile because it is a completely colorless combo. Which makes it more splashable in decks that are already consistent then say counter top splashes.

Although the four color decks generally have a good matchup against this combo, i would like to bring it in as a discussion and see if it might be a light splashable combo for landstill. We have the creature protection and the ability to protect a measly artifact like grindstone, so discuss.

This combo is win more in Landstill because it's vulnerable to every kind of removal, so it's only viable once you already have complete control of the game, at which point you already win.

Feb 2007
    San Diego

I agree with mental, it is win more... not to say I don't like the idea, the idea is kinda cool; but it is unnecessary to say the least.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by mossivo1986 View Post

Are there positives?

Seriously, though. Not in this deck.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Are there positives?

That all depends on who's playing it and what the supporting cast is. 4/5 of the lists in that forum are thrown together/garbage lists that people are just trying to get out there without even thinking a game-plan thoroughly through with absolutely no testing whatsoever.

That combo serves no place in this archetype, unless you're desperate to play it in the sideboard.

May 2005
    Thursday...

Are there positives?

He's right. Bob the Belcher was pretty trashy... this deck isnt trashy.

Playing Shock on Birds of Paradise since '98.

May 2008
    Paris

I am curious about 4c Landstill matchups. Which ones are the bad matchups for this deck? :D

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

First off, sorry for the shitty opening post. It was one of the last things I did before going on vacation; then I had a bunch of work-related things that had me out of the office and away from the computer. I'll do some writing this week.

In the meantime, I've been working on the Ubg Landstill for more than a year and have tried a ton of variations. Here's where I left off.

"Vorosh"
    U/g/b Landstill
    by Bardo

4 Brainstorm
    4 Standstill
    3 Sensei' Divining Top

4 Force of Will
    4 Counterspell
    3 Counterbalance

3 Pernicious Deed
    3 Engineered Explosives
    2 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Cunning Wish {flexible slot}

4 Tarmogoyf

4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Wasteland
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Island
    1 Breeding Pool

Sideboard:
    4 Engineered Plague
    3 Hydroblast
    3 Extirpate
    3 Stifle
    2 Krosan Grip

It's a bit of a hybrid and has all sorts of solid match-ups.

And my 4c list which splashes white for StP and Meddling Mage in the board:

"Witch-Maw Landstill"
    U/g/w/b Landstill
    by Bardo

4 Brainstorm
    4 Standstill
    3 Fact or Fiction

4 Force of Will
    4 Counterspell
    2 Stifle {flexible slot}

4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Engineered Explosives
    3 Pernicious Deed

4 Tarmogoyf

4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Nantuko Monastery
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Tropical Island
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Tundra
    1 Island

Sideboard:
    4 Engineered Plague
    4 Meddling Mage
    3 Extirpate
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Mystic Enforcer

I think one of the Hatfield's mentioned Mystic Enforcer on the previous page. I had it on my shortlist when I wrote my last Landstill article, and dig him here. My lists, even my control decks, tend toward aggression, and Enforcer packs a lot of power here.
    Last edited by Bardo; 05-11-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Sep 2006
    Montreal

I've been playing a list similar to Bardo's Vorosh build for a couple of months now. My record for the last five tournaments I attended (with about 20-30 players) is 3 first place finishes, 1 second place finish and one 7th place finish.

I really like the build but one match-up that is giving me hell is Astral Slide.dec. It might sound funny, but the recurrence (Witness, LftL), their manlands, the lock (with Witness, Slide, LftL, Orim's Chant), their draw engine that goes through Standstill (Cycle Lands) make it an annoying match-up. Do you guys have SB strategies/play and strategy suggestions to make this a better match-up ? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    {Lists}

Seems like your current UGB landstill list looks more streamlined then the one I am playing in the mtgs tournament bardo. However I like running diabolic edicts in your UGB landstill since then you won't have to always blow up a deed at your own expense. Deed is too good of a card to waste on just one creature and this is relevant since decks like threshold can just ride on one creature ftw.

I also have been trying the hatfield's control magic tech in the UGB landstill board as well. In my testing control magic has been awesome against threshold and it's more flexible then vedalken shackles since you can pitch to force of will too. Definite props to the hatfields for that tech.
    Team Hammafist!

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007
    Michigan, specificly Lansing

Quote Originally Posted by Kainan View Post
    I am curious about 4c Landstill matchups. Which ones are the bad matchups for this deck? :D
    generally speaking

dragon stompy is pretty bad. i'd say a solid 70-30 in their favor pre board, depending on your side it could go to 60-40, but its still unfavorable.

Moon thresh, because they play blood moon too? and its thresh? agh scariness

mono blue control if you dont resolve a deed is tough. They play back2basics and thats just fricken scary.

btw astral slide.dec or rifter as some people address it is not that great. It does get around standstill, but all that means is its one of the few matchups where you side out standstill and side in PATES and EP, plague naming soldiers, and pates grabbing wittness and chant = GG.

you could throw in meddling mage but if they play r/w rifter they will have additional ways to deal with creatures which = bad for you.

100%

Nov 2007
    Berkeley, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    {Lists}
    How is Counterbalance in combination with 25 lands? Seems pretty bad without Top. Also, do you ever miss Academy Ruins? You are playing 3 EE.

Thread Information