Thread: Garruk Prison

Garruk Prison

This was just a totally untested idea that came to me during my neverending quest to break Root Maze.

Lands:
    14 Forest
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Rishadan Port
    3 Windswept Heath

Creatures:
    4 Wall of Blossoms
    4 Wall of Roots
    4 Tarmogoyf

Other Spells:
    3 Garruk Wildspeaker
    4 Root Maze
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    4 Winter Orb
    4 Chalice of the Void

Sideboard:
    4 Krosan Grip
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    7 free slots :/

Essentially, the deck revolves around the hard-lock of Garruk Wildspeaker+Winter Orb+Rishadan Port+Root Maze+Sphere of Resistance. While I know 5-card combos aren't exactly viable in Legacy, the deck doesn't really need to get the lock in place in its entirety. Garruk with Winter Orb is pretty threatening in and of itself, and with Port, the opponent will (hopefully) have a difficult time finding mana.

Individual Card Choices:

Ancient Tomb: Turn 1 Thorn/Sphere/CotV on 1 can be gamebreaking.

Rishadan Port: An integral part of the lock.

Wall of Roots: Stalls the ground while pumping mana; essentially neutralizes one creature once a partial lock is in place.

Wall of Blossoms: See Wall of Roots, except replace "pumping mana" with cantrips.

Tarmogoyf: The primary win condition, and another "wall" to neutralize the opponent's creatures.

Garruk Wildspeaker: Not only an integral part of the lock, but also a fantastic way around Sphere/Thorn/Winter Orb in general, as well as a win condition.

Root Maze: A card I really think deserves more respect, as it stalls fetches a full two turns, and makes Daze a lot less fun. It is also necessary to make the lock a "hard" lock.

Thorn/Sphere: Another part of the lock that also help slow the opponent to your (very) slow tempo.

Chalice: It seemed wrong to play a deck with Ancient Tomb without Chalice; it can also replace Thorn or Sphere in the lock.

Winter Orb: The cornerstone of the deck; slows the game down to a crawl, allowing you to slowly assemble the lock and/or smash face with 'goyf.

As for the sideboard... I dunno. I haven't tested this yet, so I can only guess what might give it trouble. Grips definitely belong there, and Tombs should probably be there too...

The deck probably (almost definitely) isn't Teir 1, but it definitely seems like a blast to play with.

Any help would be appreciated; I'd love to see this reach a competitive level, although I don't see that happening any time soon.

Re: Garruk Prison

because of the maze, i think i would run 0 Fetchland

4 wasteland should be fun. Lands come into play tapped. POP you blow them :). Plus, it has some sort of synergy with Spheres. Spells cost more to play, and you destroy their mana so that they never reach the required mana.

I can see aggro as being a very difficult matchup. I can see Aether Vial as a way to survive the lock.

This deck however should have some fun time against Aggro/Control deck, like ThreshThreshThreshThreshThreshThreshThreshThresh. Sphere are hell to ThreshThreshThreshThreshThreshThreshThreshThresh. Not to mention COTV that can shut down half of the deck.

If you need more Accel : Try Elvish Spirit Guide. Not the best. But in the late game, you can use it as a 2/2 beater. Plus, it increases your chance of playing a first turn COTV/Spheres.

If you could splash another color, i would put some mass removal. Just to improve Aggro Matchup. I could be wrong, of course. :) Red for Pyroclasm should be nice too.

Robert

The only reason the Fetches are in there are because I wanted to be able to play the deck with Mox Diamond but didn't wanna draw a crapload of lands. I took out diamond, and forgot about the fetches. I'll edit the first post when I have more time.

And as for Wasteland... I don't remember why I didn't put those in. There was definitely a reason... but... meh.

Would Trinsphere be more effective with Winter Orb? Trinisphere also seems like it would have a much more debilitating effect on Threshold and combo decks than spheres and thorns.

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

I would try -3 Heath, -1 Port(I don't find it quite fun early game), -1 Forest, -1 Blossom, -1 Amethyst, +2 Chrome Mox, +4 Elvish Spirit Guide(dodges Daze), +1 Garruck(Your key spell, deserves 4 slots despite legendarity)
    On the Sep 2011 Ban List Updates,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    Yep DCI/Wizards never fails... those that cry the loudest wins!

Elvish Spirit Guide? Trinisphere? Tinder Wall is potentially better than Wall of Roots for you.

Gaea's Cradle seems like it would fit well in a lot of ways.

You might want to look into GW for using Hokori, Dust Drinker and Glow Rider -- I can't recall what the rest of the Death and Taxes suite looks like right now. Alternatively, GU for Stasis and Force of Will.

I don't think Winter Orb is a good idea in a format where people can do most of their stuff with 0-2 lands. The stuff you have listed hardly qualifies as a hard lock. (What sort of deck will Winter Orb make a big difference against?)

Trinisphere was omitted because of its poor synergy with Root Maze. It may still be worth running; I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Elvish Spirit Guide? Trinisphere? Tinder Wall is potentially better than Wall of Roots for you.

Gaea's Cradle seems like it would fit well in a lot of ways.

You might want to look into GW for using Hokori, Dust Drinker and Glow Rider -- I can't recall what the rest of the Death and Taxes suite looks like right now. Alternatively, GU for Stasis and Force of Will.

I don't think Winter Orb is a good idea in a format where people can do most of their stuff with 0-2 lands. The stuff you have listed hardly qualifies as a hard lock. (What sort of deck will Winter Orb make a big difference against?)
    Winter Orb can thrash the Landstill matchup, and make Counterbalance/Top a lot less effective. And with Sphere, etc, they cant get away with so few lands.

Again, I'm not expecting it to be a really competitive deck, but it is a blast to play.

I only play blue for Brainstorm and combo.
    Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

Cut the 3x fetch lands and put in 3x Wasteland and you have yourself a fairly competetive deck. Also, there should probably be 4x Choke in the sideboard and probably 3x Pithing Needle. I understand you want to make Root Maze good, but it is probably the worst card in the deck, it costs G and thus has no synergy with your 4x Chalice of the Void.

Thread Information