Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738

Thread: [Deck] It's the Fear - Control in the new Era

Re: [Deck] It's the Fear - Control in the new Era

Dust Bowl is just terrible. You tie up your resources by spending 3 mana every turn, when you could instead just play a crucible once and do it for free.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDemonKn1ght View Post
    It might be too mana-intensive, but Dust Bowl seems to me like it might work better than Wasteland in this deck. At least, it gives you multiple uses out of it, even before you get LftL online. Or maybe it's just my unnatural craving to see someone pack Dust Bowl again. Lol

EDIT: Also, I like your list. What's your sideboard look like? (It seems to me like you probably need some sort of black-creature-hate in there, since you're forgoing the StP.)
    Puh, the recurring usage of Dust Bowl wihtout having to Loam every turn looks nice, but I guess Wasteland is just fine. You really want to do stuff with your mana.

My SB was terrible. I played some Extirpates, some Leylines of the Void, the 4th Firespout and Innocent Blood, I think. I totally mispredicted the meta :(
    Also, being able to handle Black creatures isn't a necessity in my eyes. Aside from Pikula (which becomes rarer and rarer) and Team America (which I know of only 1 person who ever played this deck around here), there aren't really many Black creatures which don't die to Firespout/need to be handled. I guess I've seen more Earwig Squads around here than Tombstalkers (and Earwig needs to be countered, anyways).
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

Poisonous Foogoofiish
    Feb 2006
    Germany

Are there still people who work in this deck? It looks quite solid with the addition of Mental Misstep.
    Putting Jace and maybe even Knight of the Reliquary into the picture I have troubles to build a modern list.
    Just curious about this deck, as it fully abuses Counter Top with well spreaded mana curve. Also Deed is a powerhouse and one of the best reasons to play Bug Landstill in my opinion.

Edit: Maybe something which goes into the following direction
    // Lands
    2 [NPH] Island (1)
    4 [ON] Flooded Strand
    1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
    4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
    3 [B] Underground Sea
    3 [B] Tropical Island
    1 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
    3 [B] Tundra
    1 [LRW] Plains (3)
    1 [SH] Volrath's Stronghold

// Creatures
    1 [FD] Etched Oracle
    1 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary
    1 [FD] Eternal Witness

// Spells
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    3 [V09] Sensei's Divining Top
    1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    4 [CST] Brainstorm
    3 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    3 [CS] Counterbalance
    3 [TE] Intuition
    3 [AP] Pernicious Deed
    4 [IA] Swords to Plowshares
    4 [NPH] Mental Misstep
    1 [RAV] Life from the Loam

Remarks:
    - Tarmogoyf isnt the super creature he was when the deck first appeared. So I removed him and tried to add strong creatures for the current metagame. Thrun looks like a good win-con for a more controllish deck, as he is hard to remove and can chump-block all day. Knight is another tutor for our legendary lands, but he might require some tweaks in the manabase to abuse him fully. Witness and Oracle are both from the orginal build carried over.
    - Mental and Jace both needed to fitted in as mentioned, so I did cut some spells.
    - Orginally I had a single Punishing Fire and Groove in here as it is very easy to set up with Intuition, but running 5 colours looks a bit greedy in the end.
    Last edited by deadlock; 06-10-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Edit: First deck draft
    BBB

nice. i also thought about necroing the thread!
    as i am short of possibilities to test in bigger tournaments i am curious about someone who is actually still playing the deck in a diverse metagame.

i also found this very interesting thread called "aggro itf" and thought the deck might see a second sunrise with jace and mental misstep.

ITF met one big problem: BUG Landstill is strictly better in the current metagame.

The main difference between one and the other are (in favor of ITF):

-Access to coutnerbalance
    -Goyf as an aggro-defensor

The first is not that relevant in a metagame full of Miisteps, Jace, Green Zenith, Natural Order, ... The second, well you have cut the goyfs, so ... And packing 4 "random" creatures is a lot worse than pack a full set of factories (which can be recurred with Loam and fetched with a single intuition).

I' m afraidsomehting like this could answer to the question why it is no longer played.

Greetings,

Iņaki.-

Poisonous Foogoofiish
    Feb 2006
    Germany

Stating 'strictly better' is a dangerous statement in my opinion.
    While BUG has its merits, there also some points which MAY speak for ITF:
    - Access to stronger spot removal in form of STP and possibly Path, as Itf doesnt run Mishras / Waste, it can support the 4 colours more easily than bug can.
    - Possibly faster win-cons, which result in less uninentional draws.
    - CB / Top isnt obsolete imo, but if you still think it is, you can go down to something like 1 SDT and no CB and just play Spell Snares / CS instead.
    - My list was a first draft and I dont think one- offs in a Intuition deck are random.

My main point is not that Itf might be better, but that Intuition control should be explored - see the CAB JaceTm thread for reference. This might be the better shell for Intuition.
    BBB

I apologize if the post sound rude, I didnt' meant to. What I meant is, as I said, CB Top is not THAT relevant, not osoloete. I said strctly better and added in the CURRENT METAGAME, I 'm afraid this clarifies (followed by the explanation) the statement, Ididn't said one is better and the otehr is worse overall. I know they are not random, this is why I used "", with my random I meant chosen for a purppose but as they are 1 off you are not likeley to have them in time (sure you can intuition into Volrath + Loam + Creature, then play loam, then the sronghold and get the creature. This is just to costy). Plus StP, although is the strognest removal, with all the MM madness out there, maybe some 2CC spot removal can be better to be played along with the 1 CC removal, so playing StP is not as strong as it was before NPH was printed.

Greetings,

Iņaki.-

Thread Information