Thread: Planeswalker + Ankh of Mishra

Casual Menace
    Jan 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA

Planeswalker + Ankh of Mishra

I know that a lightning bolt cannot target a planeswalker directly. I know that if non-combat damage an opponent controls would damage me, on resolution of that source, the opponent chooses whether to redirect to my planeswalker.

What if I control the source of the damage? Assume I have a planeswalker and an ankh in play at the same time.

Ankh of Mishra
    Rules Text (Oracle): Whenever a land comes into play, Ankh of Mishra deals 2 damage to that land's controller.

I play a land, the ankh deals 2 damage to me. I control the ankh, so on resolution of the ability, can I redirect the damage to my planeswalker?

Thanks for your help.
    cha·os (kay-os) noun
    1. A state of extreme confusion and disorder
    2. The introduction of Ichorid into a casual metagame

Re: Planeswalker + Ankh of Mishra

Quote Originally Posted by AceofAllan View Post
    I
    I play a land, the ankh deals 2 damage to me. I control the ankh, so on resolution of the ability, can I redirect the damage to my planeswalker?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil View Post
    No.
    Can the controler of the Ankh do it? I'm still a little sketchy on the rules myself. Like, I know that I can toss a bolt at my opponent's head and ask him to blast the planeswalker instead, and that if my has like an Ivory Mask in play then I can burn neither him nor his p-walker.

And I can declare an attack at the the planeswalker and his creatures can block my creatures trying to kil the walker. And if he has an Island Sanctuary (or a teferi's moat?) in play and activated then I can still turn 'em sideways at the p-walker.

Yeah, I guess I'm not that clear on those guys.
    Yes - I'm Victor Nightingale.

The redirection effect only applies to an opponent. If a source would deal damage to an opponent you can redirect it to his/her planeswalker instead. You cannot redirect damage you take to your planeswalker. ( Thus you couldnt cast sulfurous blast and have Garruk take one for the team so to speak.)

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

You cannot redirect damage dealt to you by an effect you control to a planeswalker you control.

In short, he is not a free font of life for you to abuse.

Your opponent could use an Ankh he controls to whittle down your walker, but you could not use one you control.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    Your opponent could use an Ankh he controls to whittle down your walker, but you could not use one you control.

Or yours to redirect damage to his.

The controller of the non-combat damage source has the option of redirecting damage to a planeswalker his opponent controls.
    Team Sexy - Better Than Ever, Still Better Than You

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

We are discussing if you can damage your own Walker. We had already gone over you could do it to your opponents...
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Thread Information