Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    It's a whole lot easier to enforce Relentless Rats than the opposite though.
    Enforcing Relentless rats is super easy though because it's literally saying "this isn't a rule"

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Enforcing Relentless rats is super easy though because it's literally saying "this isn't a rule"
    That is what I am saying, yes.

I am suspect that they would want to introduce a pseudo-restricted list into a format as widely played as Modern to just increase the numbers of "oopsies 2-ofs" at every FNM ever.
    And saying, 'well they've done it once before with Relentless Rats!' isn't an argument, for the above reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

New commander for 5 color decks. I like it:

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    I kinda like it. Kills a Chalice and a Lattice

EDIT: nvm I can't read. Can't pitch while Mycosynth Lattice is in play
    Last edited by Watersaw; 05-20-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Not that I will rate the idea of such Duals as probable. I think the mana situation in Modern is regarded as "good enough."
    I agree on modern's mana being 'good enough', but I also think wotc will eventually print a functional dual land similar to the originals. Considering how much hype this set has already I now think it might not show up here (hold it for another future set) but I think it will be soon. My called shot was based on how close Deep Forest Hermit was to Deranged Hermit, which could be a guinea pig for future attempts at making functional cards available without violating the RL.

I think we can agree that my example was pretty dumb, it was just spit-balling.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    which could be a guinea pig for future attempts at making functional cards available without violating the RL.
    To be fair they've tried close, but not the same effects before (Fork / Reverberate). They've also tried using the loophole that was expressly included in the reserve list language (premium reprints). Both times they quickly slammed the door shut afterwords. With fork / reverberate they said they would enforce the "spirit" closer. With the premium they didn't even explain themselves other than slamming the door shut and changing the reserve list to kill the outlet for reprinting that they had expressly included.

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want, but there is *something* going on behind the scenes on the reserve list stuff.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    To be fair they've tried close, but not the same effects before (Fork / Reverberate). They've also tried using the loophole that was expressly included in the reserve list language (premium reprints). Both times they quickly slammed the door shut afterwords. With fork / reverberate they said they would enforce the "spirit" closer. With the premium they didn't even explain themselves other than slamming the door shut and changing the reserve list to kill the outlet for reprinting that they had expressly included.

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want, but there is *something* going on behind the scenes on the reserve list stuff.
    I normally don't make much of conspiracy theories, but this recent spoiling of Deep Forest Hermit gives the idea credence.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I normally don't make much of conspiracy theories, but this recent spoiling of Deep Forest Hermit gives the idea credence.
    I think the "realization" is that the Legacy/Vintage/EDH segment is actually on that is profitable to market toward.

But I think Hasbro has either been advised, or just assumes, that it is "not worth" opening the can of worms that is completely abandoning the List. So, I think they might spend some time skirting it how and where they think they "can."
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by Watersaw View Post
    Lattice makes cards not-green, so you can't use the alternative cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post

The conspiracy theory is they own these valuable objects and the reserve list helps their own value.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    Kills Counterballance, B2B and Chalice. Also fucking destroys the Lands mirror (Mox and Exploration). Me like.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Watersaw View Post
    It's a free 2-for-2. That's a super strong card.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Kills Counterballance, B2B and Chalice. Also fucking destroys the Lands mirror (Mox and Exploration). Me like.
    I like this card a bunch. A reason to run Green.

I wonder what directions they will go for White, Black and Red. The White one better not be some gain life or prevent damage garbage.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Since it can blow up two things, it can be card-neutral for zero mana. That's a huge tempo swing. An excellent SB card for decks which can run it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's partly intended as a way to fight the Karn/Lattice lock, given the proximity both cards were released in.

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Lattice makes cards not-green, so you can't use the alternative cost.
    Ah crap. You right.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It's a free 2-for-2. That's a super strong card.
    I didn't want to jump the gun on this but I'm getting more excited about this card by the second. Ignore what I said before, this thing is absolutely insane.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Since it can blow up two things, it can be card-neutral for zero mana. That's a huge tempo swing. An excellent SB card for decks which can run it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's partly intended as a way to fight the Karn/Lattice lock, given the proximity both cards were released in.
    As was said before, because lattice makes everything Colorless you don't actually have green cards to pitch for this
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    As was said before, because lattice makes everything Colorless you don't actually have green cards to pitch for this
    Completely forgot about that one, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I like this card a bunch. A reason to run Green.

I wonder what directions they will go for White, Black and Red. The White one better not be some gain life or prevent damage garbage.
    Let's assume the rest of the cycle is used for police cards, some ideas:

White:
    - Nobody can cast noncreature spells this turn. (super strong, so unlikely)
    - Some kind of Containment Priest effect that prevents creatures (and maybe other permanent types) from entering the battlefield if they aren't cast from hand.

Black:
    - an Unmask variant (probably needs some retooling because WotC doesn't like instant discard)
    - yet another GY hoser
    - a creature kill spell

Red:
    - It will involve damage because WotC can't design red cards worth shit. My money is on a emergency sweeper, aka a Cave-In variant.

Let's assume the rest of the cycle is used for police cards, some ideas:

White:
    - Nobody can cast noncreature spells this turn. (super strong, so unlikely)
    - Some kind of Containment Priest effect that prevents creatures (and maybe other permanent types) from entering the battlefield if they aren't cast from hand.

Black:
    - an Unmask variant (probably needs some retooling because WotC doesn't like instant discard)
    - yet another GY hoser
    - a creature kill spell

Red:
    - It will involve damage because WotC can't design red cards worth shit. My money is on a emergency sweeper, aka a Cave-In variant.
    If we're going by the post on page 7, it'll be Contagion for Black.

Black:
    - yet another GY hoser
    - a creature kill spell
    I'd like a planeswalker kill spell, maybe force of murder?
    Red:
    Pyrokenisis, but can hit planeswalkers.

Thread Information