Page 48 of 332 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    It's a better body overall, but I think the difference is pretty small in this format.
    One-drops are really only there for the body, so being better overall is a huge deal.

(Also, you would gain a point against Hapatra.)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Preliminary standings for round 10:

Rank. Player: score - season points:
    1. FTW: 28 - 4,7
    2. Asthereal (TO): 22 - 3,7
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: 22 - 3,7
    4. Wrath of Pie: 17 - 2,8
    5. H: 10 - 1,7
    5. Whoshim: 10 - 1,7
    7. Tylert: 8 - 1,3

Which leads to the following bannings:
    Crashing Footfalls
    Curse of the Pierced Heart
    Daze
    Electrodominance
    Force of Negation
    Restore Balance
    Sandstone Needle
    Snapback
    Snow-Covered Forest
    Student of Warfare
    Tundra

FTW takes a significant lead. Two more rounds to catch him!
    I'll try to cough up a deck today, so we can get started soon.
    Stay tuned.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Two more rounds! Who will catch FTW?

Round 11 of 4CB Season 2, the Vintage Bannathon, has started!

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 11, so you can start sending me your decks.
    You will find standings for round 10 and new bannings based on results from round 10 in the Google Spreadsheet, or in the post above, or in the first two posts of the thread.
    (If scores change still, I will adjust everything accordingly. NOTE: If scores do change, this might affect bannings.)

DEADLINE FOR ROUND 11: Wednesday the 26th of June, at 6:00AM Central European Time.
    (So back to normal schedule. Please note time zones. 6AM CET on Wednesday is like 9PM on Tuesday evening in California.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    - The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Goblin Guide, Mogg Fanatic, Pithing Needle, Cavern of Souls (so with card tags around each card, and not above eachother), with your Username and 4CB S02R11 in the topic. Most of you already do this. Thanks a lot, this really saves me the time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!
    - The banned list (you'll find it in the second post and in the Google Spreadsheet). So keep an eye on what you send in.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, the Google Spreadsheet has been updated: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Happy deck designing everybody!

Fun facts:
    - FTW has consolidated his top spot, now followed by me, albeit by a rather large margin.
    - IMPORTANT! Next week we won't have a round of 4CB, since I'll be gone for almost a week. I'll post decks on Wednesday morning, and then I'm off to a festival.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

About 36 hours until the deadline for round 11, and we're at 4 entries.
    Will we find ways to stop the unstoppable force that is FTW?

PS. Don't be late this round. I'll post decks on my Wednesday morning, and then I'm gone for almost a week, so no extra time this round.

EDIT: 6 entries now.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 06-24-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Lemon, welcome to 4CB!

DECKS FOR ROUND 11 OF THE VINTAGE BANNATHON:

1. Asthereal (TO): Encroach, Force of Despair, Hexdrinker, Blooming Marsh
    2. Whoshim: Grove of the Burnwillows, Mossfire Valley, Punishing Fire, Powder Keg
    3. Wrath of Pie: Svyelunite Temple, Ruins of Trokair, Elspeth, Knight-Errant, Piracy Charm
    4. Tylert: Faerie conclave, Izzet boilerworks, Isochron scepter, Lightning bolt
    5. Lemon: Lightning Bolt, Steam Vents, Goblin Guide, Flusterstorm
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Field of Ruin, Scalding Tongs
    7. FTW: Razorverge Thicket, Hexdrinker, Path to Exile, Mutavault
    8. H: Mutavault, The Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale, Cathedral of War, Maze of Ith

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Note for the Bannathon:
    Back at 8 participants again, the top 4 scoring decks for this round will be banned for the last round.
    So if you want to start brewing for the final round already, keep that in mind.

NOTE: I'll be gone for a week, so next round will probably start around Wednesday next week or so. Stay tuned.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal results for round 11:

1. Asthereal (TO): that's me, but no combo?! Encroach, Force of Despair, Hexdrinker, Blooming Marsh
    2. Whoshim: Encroach takes a land, and you can't do anything anymore. 6-0
    3. Wrath of Pie: OTP Encroach your blue and and I win, OTD you play the blue and and can Charm my dude fot the draw. 4-1
    4. Tylert: Encroach Boilerworks for the win. 6-0
    5. Lemon: OTP Encroach Vents. OTD you play that land and we can kill eachother's wincon for a draw. 4-1
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: Encroach a land, so Field of Ruin doesn't work. My dude races your Tongs. 6-0
    7. FTW: OTP Encroach your Thicket FTW. OTD you play Thicket and have an answer for my guy, but I can only answer one of your threats. (Disfigure would have granted me an extra point here.) 3-3
    8. H: Encroach either Mutavault of Tabernacle and we play two draws? Not sure about this one. I'll calculate some more when I get back from the festival. For now my guess is: 2-2

Total: 31 points

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

1. Asthereal: Encroach takes boilerworks each time. 0-6 --> 0
    2. Whoshim: powder keg will destroy isochron scepter at some point in time. 0-6 --> 0
    3. Wrath of Pie: I think I win this one. multiple bolts will take care of elspeth and her soldier. then i win. 6-0 --> 6
    4. me
    5. Lemon: bolts on scepter will take care of goblin guide before he kills me and flusterstorm does not impact me. 6-0 --> 12
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: I loose to field of ruins. 0-6 --> 12
    7. FTW: I have to bolt Hexdrinker before it becomes 4/4 but you can path my conclave and kill me with mutavault. 0-6 --> 12
    8. H: Scepter + Bolts at every end of turn or on activated mutavault will win both games. 6-0 --> 18

Total: 18.

2. Whoshim: Grove of the Burnwillows, Mossfire Valley, Punishing Fire, Powder Keg

1. Asthereal (TO): Encroach, Force of Despair, Hexdrinker, Blooming Marsh 0-6 Confirmed.

3. Wrath of Pie: Svyelunite Temple, Ruins of Trokair, Elspeth, Knight-Errant, Piracy Charm 0-6 I can never kill Elspeth.

4. Tylert: Faerie conclave, Izzet boilerworks, Isochron scepter, Lightning bolt 6-0 Confirmed.

5. Lemon: Lightning Bolt, Steam Vents, Goblin Guide, Flusterstorm 6-0 I will kill the Goblin Guide before you can aggro me down.

6. GoblinSmashmaster: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Field of Ruin, Scalding Tongs 2-2 You destroy my land, depriving me of my win con, but I destroy your artifact, depriving you of your win con.

7. FTW: Razorverge Thicket, Hexdrinker, Path to Exile, Mutavault 6-0 I can remove both of your threats.

8. H: Mutavault, The Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale, Cathedral of War, Maze of Ith 6-0 I like the all lands deck you have here.

26 points.

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP I play Razorverge and Hexdrinker. You can Force it or Encroach Mutavault, but not both. My remaining guy gets through. OTD you Encroach Razorverge and I can't do anything. WL 3-3
    2. Whoshim: I could draw Punishing Fire vs Mutavault (if you burn my face then I get to attack before you return it, and I would win the race, so you'd have to hold PFire up forever), but unfortunately Powder Keg @ 0 blows up manlands... LL 0-6
    3. Wrath of Pie: T1 Mutavault. T2 Thicket, beat down with Mutavault, which you can't kill with Charm. If you Charm me to discard, I discard Path. If you cast Elspeth, then I cast Hexdrinker once you have no mana for Charm, then level him to 4/4. If you try to defend Elspeth, I can beat through the tokens and kill her. If you try to race, I win the race. WW 6-0
    4. Tylert: OTP I play Hexdrinker, you play Conclave. I get level 2, you play Boilerworks. I get level 4 and Bolt-proof. Hexdrinker wins. OTD you untap Boilerworks a turn earlier and can Bolt Hexdrinker, but you can't set up Scepter. Path kills Conclave. Mutavault gets there. WW 6-0
    5. Lemon: Bolt kills Hexdrinker, Path kills Goblin Guide the turn after you tap out for him (can't Flusterstorm), and Mutavault gets there. WW 6-0
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: You can kill Mutavault, but I have another land to pay for Tabernacle. 2/1 Hexdrinker outraces Scalding Tongs. WW 6-0.
    8. H: I play Hexdrinker, pay for Tabernacle with one land, and level up with the other. You can't attack into a 4/4. Then at level 8 it gains protection from Maze and wins. WW 6-0

33 points (11 wins, 0 draws)

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    8. H: Encroach either Mutavault of Tabernacle and we play two draws? Not sure about this one. I'll calculate some more when I get back from the festival. For now my guess is: 2-2
    OTP you can Encroach Tabernacle. If you don't have to pay the upkeep, you can level up. 4/4 holds off his Mutavault attacker, and then Progenitus-mode lets you attack through Maze of Ith.

OTD he plays Tabernacle first. You're forced to pay an upkeep for Hexdrinker and can never level up, which means Maze of Ith can stop it. If you Encroach Maze, he wins with 3/3 Mutavault. If you Encroach Mutavault, he has no win con but Maze stops you and you draw.

WD?

Edit: My 2nd choice for a deck was Blooming Marsh, Hexdrinker, Force of Despair, Despise, but Encroach looks like a better choice

3. Wrath of Pie: Svyelunite Temple, Ruins of Trokair, Elspeth, Knight-Errant, Piracy Charm

1. Asthereal (TO): Encroach, Force of Despair, Hexdrinker, Blooming Marsh DL
    2. Whoshim: Grove of the Burnwillows, Mossfire Valley, Punishing Fire, Powder Keg WW
    4. Tylert: Faerie conclave, Izzet boilerworks, Isochron scepter, Lightning bolt WL - I am fast enough to Piracy Charm a relevant card on the play, and can win the race against Faerie Conclave.
    5. Lemon: Lightning Bolt, Steam Vents, Goblin Guide, Flusterstorm WW - Spell Pierce would have done more for you over Flusterstorm.
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Field of Ruin, Scalding Tongs WD
    7. FTW: Razorverge Thicket, Hexdrinker, Path to Exile, Mutavault LL - I think you effectively clinch the season win here. Good job!
    8. H: Mutavault, The Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale, Cathedral of War, Maze of Ith WW - Tabernacle only destroys and I can chump Mutavault forever, so I eventually ult Elspeth and have an indestructible army to attack you with.

8w2d = 26

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Finally some fair decks"

1. Asthereal (TO): Encroach, Force of Despair, Hexdrinker, Blooming Marsh
    Encroach stops my land deck. 0-6

We stop each others' wincons. 2-2

Tabernacle destroys instead of sacrifices :( 1-4

4. Tylert: Faerie conclave, Izzet boilerworks, Isochron scepter, Lightning bolt
    Field kills Boilerworks. 6-0

5. Lemon: Lightning Bolt, Steam Vents, Goblin Guide, Flusterstorm
    Field + Tabernacle. 6-0

6. GoblinSmashmaster: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Field of Ruin, Scalding Tongs
    That's me!

You play 2 lands :( 0-6

8. H: Mutavault, The Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale, Cathedral of War, Maze of Ith
    Field kills Mutavault. 6-0

Total: 21 points

Edit: Wrath of Pie match
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 06-26-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    7. FTW: Razorverge Thicket, Hexdrinker, Path to Exile, Mutavault LL - I think you effectively clinch the season win here. Good job!
    Apple had the better record and should have won, just didn't play all the rounds.
    Last edited by FTW; 06-26-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Jun 2019
    USA

1. Asthereal: 1pt
    OTP: We kill each other's wincon. Draw.
    OTD: Encroach vents and I lose.
    2. Whoshim: Both 0pt
    Losses to Pfire recursion
    3. Wrath of Pie: 0pt
    Losses
    OTP:
    me: guide 2dmg
    WoP: land pass
    me: atk 4dmg
    me: atk 6 dmg
    WoP: Elsbeth (I cry that spell pierce was banned) +1 create knight
    me: atk 'beth (block, eventually beth can ult while out of bolt range and I will get overrun.)
    (no block she goes down to bolt range and I bolt then outrace the 1/1)
    OTD:

WoP: Land pass
    me: atk 'beth (block, eventually beth can ult while out of bolt range and I will get overrun.)
    4. Tylert: 0pt
    I can't interact with scepter and lose both games.
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: opt
    I lose both games because I can't interact with tongs.
    7. FTW: 0pt
    The optimal play would be to path guide when it comes in, then drop drinker. I lose this OTP and OTD.
    8. H: 2pt
    I bolt mutavolt and can't get past maze. Draws

Total: 3pt

EDIT: Edited H and Wrath of Pie matches based on FTW's feedback.
    Last edited by Lemon; 06-26-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
    8. H: 0pt
    You wait until FoR destroys vents to activate mutivolt. I have no answers and lose.
    Except I don't have Field of Ruin in my deck.

In reality I think we just draw, since I can't ever activate Mutavault and you can't play Guide, or else you can't Bolt my manland.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
    3. Wrath of Pie: 2pt
    Draws
    OTP:
    me: atk 6 dmg
    me: atk 'beth (block, we goes up and we draw. You have no lands left to cast charm)
    OTD:

me: atk 'beth (block, we goes up and we draw. You have no lands left to cast charm)
    Welcome to 4CB!

Unfortunately I think Wrath wins. You keep attacking with Guide, Elspeth keeps making a token and chump blocking, but each time Elspeth gets +1 loyalty. At 14 or higher loyalty, Elspeth can make the emblem and still survive Bolt tricks. Then any new tokens are indestructible, so they can block Guide forever while another token attacks as a 4/4 flyer each turn. The only reason I beat Elspeth is with 2 attackers, he can only chump one.

But you should gets points againt H. He doesn't have Field of Ruin. You can Bolt Mutavault to draw both!

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post

I discard Field to Piracy Charm. Tabernacle stops the tokens. 6-0
    Not as well as you think, I can eventually ult Elspeth for indestructible tokens and Tabernacle only destroys, which should easily outrace 1 damage a turn.

You can force a draw on the play by discarding Scalding Tongs, though.

Jun 2019
    USA

Welcome to 4CB!

Unfortunately I think Wrath wins. You keep attacking with Guide, Elspeth keeps making a token and chump blocking, but each time Elspeth gets +1 loyalty. At 14 or higher loyalty, Elspeth can make the emblem and still survive Bolt tricks. Then any new tokens are indestructible, so they can block Guide forever while another token attacks as a 4/4 flyer each turn. The only reason I beat Elspeth is with 2 attackers, he can only chump one.

But you should gets points againt H. He doesn't have Field of Ruin. You can Bolt Mutavault to draw both!
    Nice catch! I'll edit my original post.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

OTP you can Encroach Tabernacle. If you don't have to pay the upkeep, you can level up. 4/4 holds off his Mutavault attacker, and then Progenitus-mode lets you attack through Maze of Ith.

OTD he plays Tabernacle first. You're forced to pay an upkeep for Hexdrinker and can never level up, which means Maze of Ith can stop it. If you Encroach Maze, he wins with 3/3 Mutavault. If you Encroach Mutavault, he has no win con but Maze stops you and you draw.

WD?

Edit: My 2nd choice for a deck was Blooming Marsh, Hexdrinker, Force of Despair, Despise, but Encroach looks like a better choice
    You're right, I missed the protection from everything clause, which of course includes Maze.
    So this goes:

A: Land, Encroach Tabernacle
    H: Muta or Cathedral (which doesn't matter, as Cathedral enters tapped and Muta has summoning sickness, so you can only attack by turn 3 anyway)
    A: Cast Hexdrinker (L0)
    H: Play the other mana/attack land
    A: Level up (L1)
    H: Play Maze, attack for 3 (A=17)
    A: Level up (L2)
    H: Attack for 3 (A=14)
    A: Level up into L3, so Muta can't attack anymore
    H: N/A
    A: Level up (L4)
    A: Level up (L5)
    A: Level up (L6)
    A: Level up (L7)
    A: Level up into L8, Hex is now 6/6 protection from everything. Attack, H=14
    H: Muta attacks again, A=11
    A: Hex attacks, H=8
    H: Muta attacks, A=8
    A: Hex attacks, H=2
    H: Muta attacks, A=5
    A: Hex attacks for the win.

So looks like I indeed win on the play. I'll update my scores.

PS. I do think you've been the most consistent player by far during the last few rounds, and you were already working to catch up apple, so you deserve the top spot.
    But... I'll try to push you out of it in this last round.

PS2. As you noticed, I'm back. I'll update all the things and cough up a deck. I expect to start the final round of the bannathon tomorrow or Thursday latest. Stay tuned!

PS3. I did some research these last few days, and the main conclusion is that Tool is still the best band in the world. By a significant margin.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Scores for the penultimate round for the Vintage Bannathon (round 11, for those who prefer numbers).

Rank. Player: score - season points:
    1. Asthereal (TO): 33 - 4,7
    1. FTW: 33 - 4,7
    3. Whoshim: 26 - 3,7
    3. Wrath of Pie: 26 - 3,7
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: 21 - 3
    6. Tylert: 15 - 2,1
    7. Lemon: 3 - 0,4
    7. H: 3 - 0,4

Which leads to the following bannings for the final round:
    Blooming Marsh
    Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    Encroach
    Force of Despair
    Grove of the Burnwillows
    Hexdrinker
    Mossfire Valley
    Mutavault
    Path to Exile
    Piracy Charm
    Powder Keg
    Punishing Fire
    Razorverge Thicket
    Ruins of Trokair
    Svyelunite Temple

Which means...
    FTW leads with a margin of 5,2 season points, so he (or she, I never know) needs 0,9 season points to clinch the title.
    So the title race is almost decided, but if FTW yolos the last round, I might surpass if I manage a clean sweep.
    Fat chance, but a chance nonetheless, and I'll definitely give it a shot!

Thread Information