Page 45 of 55 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Nov 2016
    Los Angeles, CA

Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Any news on the updated primer? I've been having a blast with Kitchen's list, and I'd like to see some more general tips on what I should be doing with the deck

Quote Originally Posted by Elpresidente View Post
    Any news on the updated primer? I've been having a blast with Kitchen's list, and I'd like to see some more general tips on what I should be doing with the deck
    I think you’ll find the deck and, even, a good proportion of the meta are in a tumultuous period of adjustment. A primer, right now, would be both out of date quickly but also based too small a sample size. There are a number of lists floating around that are posting results. Just look at Drudes list.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

@Spigore: A: it's totally fine to get the furnace with an e.tutor if that's what you need. Having said that, I also don't think it's wrong to go up a land in this deck. The deck is a little more mana hungry with Karn these days. B: Yes, you can definitely recruiter for engineer for grindstone. I've done that many times, particularly if I have a couple welders/engineers on the table then I can grindstone myself to put other essential cards (eg painter) into the yard and weld them back. Engineer can basically be used to go get whatever you need.

On that note, check out this fun little ditty. Living the dream with new Triskelion tech against Maverick. I won game 1 and sided in my 1 x Trisk for game 2. Enjoy...

https://youtu.be/ZyQk9Qn4YR4

@schweinefettmann: I know I already said this on the discord, but I think Magus is actually pretty terrible right now. There is so much red in the format because everyone wants to play W6 and/or pyroblasts, so lightning bolt and punishing fire is everywhere online. Even eldrazi are packing balistas these days and every other deck has a bunch of basics. Given that U/R delver is probably the most popular deck right now, Magus just isn't going to cut it. It's probably okay against BUG lists, and maybe elves and infect if you get him down fast enough. I would much rather play a second blood moon.

Nice to see the value of our deck jump in price so much. Maybe it's time to sell my regular playsets of painter and grindstone and just hold on to the invocations....or vice versa.

Cool video! Triskelion is awesome tech with the etb, nice old school card. And best art Antiquities. I used to play it in a type 1.5, Enduring Renewal deck, it was a bomb!

Jan 2011
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    @Spigore: A: it's totally fine to get the furnace with an e.tutor if that's what you need. Having said that, I also don't think it's wrong to go up a land in this deck. The deck is a little more mana hungry with Karn these days. B: Yes, you can definitely recruiter for engineer for grindstone. I've done that many times, particularly if I have a couple welders/engineers on the table then I can grindstone myself to put other essential cards (eg painter) into the yard and weld them back. Engineer can basically be used to go get whatever you need.

On that note, check out this fun little ditty. Living the dream with new Triskelion tech against Maverick. I won game 1 and sided in my 1 x Trisk for game 2. Enjoy...

https://youtu.be/ZyQk9Qn4YR4
    Thank you for the feedback! Appreciated.
    The deck really has some major decision trees with Karn, Tutor and Engineer now all being present. Deciding which line is the most optimal can be difficult, but I like it.
    It will take me some practise and evaluation with the deck to get my play on par!

That's some entertaining play indeed.
    I assume Ballista is favored over good old Triskelion in most situations, but the Ballista can't be weldered back in play. Did you guys experience this as a downside to Ballista?

@Jungian; Enduring Renewal... oh la la! :)

Feb 2008
    NYC

@ the primer- I have been working on it, but life, work and interviewing for work has slowed me down considerably at this point. Also I have been playing more Old School as I often do. It isnt about the changing meta or small sample size me from getting it done, just life. In general Jack and I feel that the list is basically complete. Likely 4-5 cards in the board (thinking bolt here) and one maindeck card may change if the meta makes some serious moves, but otherwise the deck is sort of well tuned at this point. Likewise match up analysis is basically complete at this time as most deck will likely not drastically change even if a few pieces in them adapt to the evolving meta.

One interesting note is that the sideboarding has become more streamlined these days which might actually make a sideboard guide a thing that can be done. In the past there were so many choices, but now with the Karn package and simplying options to four bolts, I actually find myself making simple changes and likely keeping it for both games 2 and 3. This change makes it much easier to communicate the complexity of boarding. However I have always sort of hesitated making one as there are so many variations and subtle things when playing.

My thoughts for the primer would be as follows
    1. General Update to deck design following introduction of Karn, not really Engineer as aI am still not convinced he fundamentally altered teh deck as much as become an incredible useful resource.
    2. Next steps for testing and shit.
    3. Overall match up, with general approaches and key things to consider to include lines of attack and some key considerations in the match up.
    4. Simple board plan layout for top decks or likely decks to face.

Is there anything else I am missing or that would be helpful?

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by sroncor1 View Post
    1. General Update to deck design following introduction of Karn, not really Engineer as aI am still not convinced he fundamentally altered teh deck as much as become an incredible useful resource.
    3. Overall match up, with general approaches and key things to consider to include lines of attack and some key considerations in the match up.

Seth
    That sounds very helpful! Thank you so much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Quote Originally Posted by sroncor1 View Post
    @ the primer- I have been working on it, but life, work and interviewing for work has slowed me down considerably at this point. Also I have been playing more Old School as I often do. It isnt about the changing meta or small sample size me from getting it done, just life. In general Jack and I feel that the list is basically complete. Likely 4-5 cards in the board (thinking bolt here) and one maindeck card may change if the meta makes some serious moves, but otherwise the deck is sort of well tuned at this point. Likewise match up analysis is basically complete at this time as most deck will likely not drastically change even if a few pieces in them adapt to the evolving meta.

One interesting note is that the sideboarding has become more streamlined these days which might actually make a sideboard guide a thing that can be done. In the past there were so many choices, but now with the Karn package and simplying options to four bolts, I actually find myself making simple changes and likely keeping it for both games 2 and 3. This change makes it much easier to communicate the complexity of boarding. However I have always sort of hesitated making one as there are so many variations and subtle things when playing.

Seth
    Looking forward to this once you have the time to complete it! Been having a blast (hohoho) with the new list, and appreciate the work you, Jack, and others have put into it. Really can't fault anyone for playing more oldschool, it's a format I really enjoy as well.
    Last edited by J_K_F; 07-11-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Hi all

Long time lurker here - my love for the deck has motivated me to make an account here (no other deck made me want to post on the Source for the several years I have been playing legacy ).
    I have been playing the deck for a few months now (most recently the post-Modern Horizons standard iteration) and I wanted to ask everyone's thoughts on a few points that have been on my mind lately.

(1) Is is time to up the number of Blood Moons again? In the past few days I have been seeing so much Wrenn and Six (Canadian Threshold, Czech Pile, Lands, Punishing Dack) on MTGO and wished several times I had more of those.

(2) I have been playing 19 lands and mulliganing a little more than I like due to one-landers. I wonder if the majority of people is at 19 or 20.

(3) I have been thinking about replacing one City of Traitors with Crystal Veins. I feel like turbo-wins (which are heavily dependent on the mana boost from Sol lands) are an exception rather than the rule, and more often than not I seeclumsy hands with multiple City of Traitors. Crystal Veins does not feel as all-in as City of Traitors, while still keeping the ability to boost us if we are in a turbo-scenario.

(4) I have been very unimpressed with Walking Ballista. It used to be in my maindeck but I was never happy to see it. I have a copy now in the sideboard, but in the 50 or so games that I have under my belt post-Modern Horizons, I did not bring it with Karn a single time (the only time I wanted a removal effect was to get rid of a Collector Ouphe ). I wonder if Engineered Explosives would be better in this slot.

(5) The four Lightning Bolts have been great but I occasionally find myself missing a Pyroclasm and have been thinking of returning one to the board.

(6) I have been toying with the idea of swapping my graveyard hate for 4 x Leyline of the Void - I feel it shuts off Reanimator much more reliably than Surgical Extraction, while also being good against Punishing Fire and Wrenn and Six. Obviously Leylines are terrible draws, but maybe Smuggler's Copter could mitigate a bit. Also Leyline has the added benefit of offering us another wincon in Helm of Obedience - this could perhaps give us some extra wins against burn (which I consider by far our worst matchup). I believe Helm was briefly used in the past but I have not seen it recently.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated! Keep painting

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by peko View Post
    Hi all

Long time lurker here - my love for the deck has motivated me to make an account here (no other deck made me want to post on the Source for the several years I have been playing legacy ).
    I have been playing the deck for a few months now (most recently the post-Modern Horizons standard iteration) and I wanted to ask everyone's thoughts on a few points that have been on my mind lately.

(1) Is is time to up the number of Blood Moons again? In the past few days I have been seeing so much Wrenn and Six (Canadian Threshold, Czech Pile, Lands, Punishing Dack) on MTGO and wished several times I had more of those.

(2) I have been playing 19 lands and mulliganing a little more than I like due to one-landers. I wonder if the majority of people is at 19 or 20.

(3) I have been thinking about replacing one City of Traitors with Crystal Veins. I feel like turbo-wins (which are heavily dependent on the mana boost from Sol lands) are an exception rather than the rule, and more often than not I seeclumsy hands with multiple City of Traitors. Crystal Veins does not feel as all-in as City of Traitors, while still keeping the ability to boost us if we are in a turbo-scenario.

(4) I have been very unimpressed with Walking Ballista. It used to be in my maindeck but I was never happy to see it. I have a copy now in the sideboard, but in the 50 or so games that I have under my belt post-Modern Horizons, I did not bring it with Karn a single time (the only time I wanted a removal effect was to get rid of a Collector Ouphe ). I wonder if Engineered Explosives would be better in this slot.

(5) The four Lightning Bolts have been great but I occasionally find myself missing a Pyroclasm and have been thinking of returning one to the board.

(6) I have been toying with the idea of swapping my graveyard hate for 4 x Leyline of the Void - I feel it shuts off Reanimator much more reliably than Surgical Extraction, while also being good against Punishing Fire and Wrenn and Six. Obviously Leylines are terrible draws, but maybe Smuggler's Copter could mitigate a bit. Also Leyline has the added benefit of offering us another wincon in Helm of Obedience - this could perhaps give us some extra wins against burn (which I consider by far our worst matchup). I believe Helm was briefly used in the past but I have not seen it recently.

I'm also unimpressed by Walking Ballista. The only use I've found is to plus Karn on an opponent's Pithing Needle then shoot it with Ballista. I wonder if its just there for certain matchups? Not wishing for it but actually playing it against Young Pyro, Elves, Goblins may be effective.
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by peko View Post
    Hi all

You are a (wo)man after my open heart. I 100% agree with every single statement you made.

A. I would never go back to 19 lands at this point, sure to the exact issue of Mana screw. It was the #1 cause of my losses. I agree that 20 is where we should really be.

B. Totally agree on blood moon. I currently have two versions of the deck built online. One is a snow land version that runs 1 blood moon and two tangle wire. The second is the more standard version but I went up to 3 blood moon main, specifically for the issues you brought up. RUG delver is super popular these days. There are very few popular decks that are less than 3 colors right now. The only one is really U/R delver.

C. I am also on 4 x leyline in both versions right now. It's the only strategy that makes sense, especially if you want to try to hit dreadhorde arcanist/pteromamder/snapcaster/tarmogoyf/gurmag strategies on top of the usual suspects. Honestly, in my snow version of the deck, the leyline aren't even that hard to cast out of the hand. I think you still need a tormods crypt in the board for Karn. And also finding room for helm can be tough.

D. Totally agree with walking ballista. I took it out once engineer became legal.

E. Crystal Vein night not be bad. We've all had the feel-bad double City hand. The only issue is that, if you plan on going up on blood moon, I would probably keep the cities so you can turn 1-2 without having to lose a land.

Welcome to the forum!

Hey Drude,

What are your latest lists? Do you keep them on tappedout or the like?

Leyline of the void vs Rest In Peace. Is there an argument for rip in that it’s at least in colour, costs less?

The asymmetry of leyline is awesome tho I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

A number of moons ago, when BR Reanmiator first reared its ugly head, I decided to axe all D&T's graveyard hate for 4x Leyline of the Void in the SB. The very first match I found myself in need for it in my starting hand, I literally mulled down to one to find a darned copy post-board - and failed.

That was the day that I swore to myself I wouldn't rely on completely non-castable, pre-game effects alone to fix problematic matchups. I see how the London mulligan changes the equation *a lot*, and that the absurd scenario described above is even more unlikely to manifest nowadays - but since Reverent Silence is a common SB choice for yard-dependent decks, I'd still prefer to have the opportunity to re-apply the most effective hate-tool, which is going to be Rest in Peace (augmented by a combination of cards like Surgical Extraction and Faerie Macabre) for me.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

It would obviously depend on your build. If you are on the older list with 2 welder and 0-1 engineer then RiP is okay I guess. But if you are on a 3-4 welder, 3 engineer build then RiP is obviously terrible. My biggest problem with RiP is that it's too slow against reanimator and in all likelihood storm decks. I could maybe see it as a tutorable 1 of with other hate pieces but then where would you really want it? Dredge? RUG delver? It would likely just get countered
    Leyline is just so much better. It comes down on turn 0 and is uncounterable so your opponent has to have an immediate answer. And the odds of finding a leyline with the new Mulligan rule is 97% if you are willing to go to 1. It also doesn't get blown up by abrupt decay, which is relevant. Obviously the best thing is that it doesn't hit your graveyard. If I were to not play leylines (and a crypt), then I would probably run the following: 1 x crypt, 2 x surgical, 1 x faerie macabre and 1 x relic or grafdigger's (green sun is making a huge comeback).

@jungian: I don't have my lists posted anywhere but I guess I could do that if you are interested. The problem is that I tend to play around with them a lot.

@drude1: That is a fair point regarding City of Traitors and Blood Moon - I agree that if you go up on Blood Moons, you want the three City of Traitors. For the build with just one moon effect, I believe two Cities and one Crystal Vein may be a good combination. I will test this once the meta shifts again to a place where we want just one Blood Moon.

I have also been thinking a lot about what to cut for an additional land and one or two more Blood Moons. As of now I have cut the SSG and one Goblin Welder. I have never been in love with SSG - I am aware of all the good things it does for us (the "red FOW" with a blast effect, the surprise Grindstone activation, the "counter Daze" mode), but the card always felt very situational and unsynergistic (it does nothing with Welder/Engineer). I have wished an SSG in my hand was a land many more times than the other way around, and it is also the card that most often goes to the bottom after mulliganing. The Goblin Welder is a pure metagame call - I am absolutely in love with the card, but with the number of Wrenn and Six running around, Welders have been a liability for the past week. Welders are always a lightning rod, but having the opponent spend a full card on it is a fine trade - opponent playing Wrenn and Six after you play a Welder is such a blowout. I am going to try 2 Goblin Welders and 2 Goblin Engineers and see if I miss the third Welder.

By the way, this is the sideboard I am testing to make room for Helm of Obedience:
    4 x Lightning Bolt
    4 x Leyline of the Void
    1 x Helm of Obedience
    2 x Ethersworn Cannonist
    1 x Mycosynth Lattice
    1 x Tormod's Crypt
    1 x Ensnaring Bridge
    1 x Pithing Needle

@schweinefettmann, colo: I agree with Drude that Rest in Peace is simply too slow to stop reanimator, and also the fact that it turns off your Welder and Engineer is too much of a liability for this deck. Also in practical terms, against reanimator I simply know I will almost always be looking for a sideboard piece (an exception to this rule are hands with a turn one blast, i.e. Sol land, Painter, Petal and Pyroblast/REB), and I would much rather that piece to be Leyline of the Void than Surgical Extraction/Tormod's Crypt. I have no statistics, but I am sure the winrate against reanimator is much higher for an opening hand with Leyline of the Void compared to an opening hand with Surgical Extraction/Tormod's Crypt.

Nov 2012
    Bologna, Italy

So, i attended a small tournament yesterday and decided to test this deck. I ended 3-2 but my losses could have been avoided with tighter play.
    My list is a bit unconventional as i always love to test new things:

4 tomb
    3 city
    3 mountain
    2 great furnace
    2 plateau
    1 sunbaked canyon
    4 fetchlands

3 karn, the great creator
    1 moon

3 tutor
    3 REB (couldn't find the 4th pyro)
    3 pyroblast

3 welder
    2 engineer
    4 painter
    4 recruiter
    1 cratermaker
    1 canonist
    1 SSG
    1 spellskite
    1 wurmcoil engine

3 petal
    1 bridge
    3 grindstone
    2 copter
    1 lightning greaves

Sb:
    1 lattice
    1 LED
    1 needle
    1 crypt
    1 relic
    1 bridge
    1 triskelion
    4 bolt
    2 surgical
    1 faerie macabre
    1 grindstone

To cut a long story short, lost against planeswalker post, beaten steel stompy, lost against a sort of hoogak zombardment, won against ur delver and sneak and show. MVP of the day wew undoubtely Spellskite and greaves, the first one protecting my copter and welder against ur bolts, the second one avoiding my cratermaker to be nuked by opponent's abrade while i was going to the beatdown plan.

Posted my first 5-0 legacy league on MTGO with Shortcake. I think the deck is as powerful as it’s ever been with the printing of Karn GC and Goblin Engineer.

2-0 vs RUG Delver
    2-1 vs RUG Delver
    2-0 vs UW Control
    2-1 vs BUG
    2-1 vs Rb Goblins

https://youtu.be/HfxkCrCy4SU

@Bob, well done! Watching now.

My report:
    So, second week of slinging Legacy at the weekly competition. I am still not at the level that I see misplays but I am not completely without hope. I go 2-2, playing Jack’s list, which I am sure to configure to meet my playstyle when I am more able to be more critical of cards than I am of my play. That said, I live the dream top and tail!

Round 1 Foil Masterpiece Blue Painter 2-0
    G1 – He is on the play, me being a new face he has no idea what I am playing… I keep a hand with painter, plateau, city Stone and et. He drops a Seat – go. I drop a plateau – go. Another Seat (pretty foil!) and then Painter on black, oh? Adrenalin kicks in, my brain hazes over but through my stunned excitement, I am sure I am about to win. EOT I tutor for LED, he still doesn’t know what I am playing. My turn, I drop Grindstone and LED. He concedes which is just as helpful as him playing Painter. I board in needle and surgical.

G2 – I play sloppy, the game goes on for 2 turns longer than it should. I get a Karn active and next turn forget an activation. And I miss a welder line but am able to do it one turn later to win – I was stuck on the idea that I may need to weld out my painter should he drop a stone, which he doesn’t and I have Karn...

Round 2 Dragon Stompy – Sans Dragon (like, what was the original dragon anyway???) 1-2
    G1 – I keep a speculative hand that has just enough in it to make me think it was viable, it wasn’t. Goblin Rablemaster makes short work of me and I wonder what sideboard is for this MU?
    G2, fast combo turn two. Two cities, painter and stone.
    G3, I misplay terribly, we both land Karn’s, his is on 2 and I have a copter up which I don’t “Karn-crew” to kill his Karn… I had the technology just not the brains… Still happy to see some opportunity to improve. Need to jam more games with Karn.

Round 3 – RU delver - It’s an old friend back for his first week after a long absence. 0-2.
    G1 – I basically tomb myself to death with him saying “no” to everything except my self damage and a Canonist. I get in bolt distance and he grabs a Pyrrhic victory. But a win is a win.
    G2 - He flips a delver, says “no” a lot and then beats me down. I'm flooded. What is the board strategy here? I load in bolts but still unsure what loads out.

Round 4 – Steel Stompy, with outside help 2-1
    G1 – Turn 2 LED grindstone combo FTW! I board Walking Ballista and bolts. God knows why.
    G2 – I hold a bridge in hand, but the board is stalled and decide not to cast it, he has Chalice on 1. Mistakes were made, he thought knot seers the bridge and beats me down with a Seer, revoker (on stone), Steel Overseer. I just drop chumps and die.
    G3 – Other players have finished and start to drop by for a chat. I keep a hand that puts out a turn 2 Karn into turn 3 Lattice cast off sol lands. He drops a Ravager on T1, and when Karn hits he is a little discombobulated so a friend helps him by telling him to modular it in response to Karn to beatdown Karn. I have answers and he concedes.

As I said, I am still really rusty. I play sloppy and wish I had friends on the sideline helping me out. I am tempted to record my games to subject them to the full force of “someone is wrong on the internet.” I can do better and will.
    Last edited by Jungian Thing; 07-19-2019 at 01:03 AM.

Jul 2015
    Tri-state Area

http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/131272

Got 11th in an SCG Classic running 4/4 Welder/Engineer split feat 4 Astrolabes as Welder food + fixing. Beat 4c Control, Miricles, Grixis Delver, Turbo Depths, Stoneblade, and Infect. Lost to Lands (with a spicy sideboard) and UR Delver. Managed to dodge Chalice decks and SnS, and looking around it seemed like Post was everywhere.

I'm big on Engineer. It was gas and I felt like it was allowing me to keep threatening to combo way more than before we had it. Recruiting it to get a Grindstone was 👌, and with the full 8 Welders the yard was pretty live. I didnt see any Surgicals all day, so I not sure if they're just low in the meta right now or I got lucky; only gravehate I saw was New Ashiok out of the Stoneblade or Miricles list.

4 Bolts in the side is very correct imo, especially for Arcanist which just runs a train on whoever's sitting across from it.

Changes I would have liked to make is go back to 20 lands with +1 Great Furnace (felt like I had very little mana all day) and +1 ETutor (2 felt like too few), not sure what I would want to take out. With 4 Petals, 4 Labes, and 3 Grindstones, I feel like I had just enough cheap artifacts to get the Welders started, I dont know if you should go lower if you're running the full 8.

Thread Information