Page 233 of 263 FirstFirst ... 133183223229230231232233234235236237243 ... LastLast
Results 4,641 to 4,660 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by zenitramleirdag View Post
    anyone else here on the FB group "smallpox: eradicate the meta"?
    I just joined to check it out. Never heard of it before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Quote Originally Posted by zenitramleirdag View Post
    anyone else here on the FB group "smallpox: eradicate the meta"?
    Pox players are hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Snacks View Post
    Pox players are hardcore
    And, user Hardcore is a pox player!
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    I just joined to check it out. Never heard of it before.
    yo man! its a great group that is very active..
    they cover everything pox or monoblack..(different builds of legacy pox, 8-rack and sometimes pauper MBC too..)

Scroll of Fate in Pox?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    Scroll of Fate in Pox?
    Yes, most definitely a good option. Card for reference:

Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

So, what are some plays you would make with the card?

Sent from my Android Palantír using Tapatalk

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Numenorean View Post
    So, what are some plays you would make with the card?

Sent from my Android Palantír using Tapatalk
    1 - It makes Dark Ritual good at all stages of the game. Early it can fuel busted plays, mid-late game it becomes a 2/2 beater
    2 - It makes targeted discard good at all stages of the game. Early disruption, 2/2 beater mid-late game when opponents are empty handed
    3 - The activation cost is free, which for a deck like Pox that kills its own lands is huge.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I thought of pox when I saw that card as well (though not the most busted use of it). I'm inclined to agree that its worth testing if nothing else. To add on to Mr. Safety's list, we tend to be land heavy in many builds so those late game land drops become beaters too.

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Turning everything in your deck into a win-con?! Sign me up! Scroll of Fate: Grand Order. Probably quite strong as a 2 of. 1 might be too few. I'm running a double crucible build.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    I thought of pox when I saw that card as well (though not the most busted use of it). I'm inclined to agree that its worth testing if nothing else. To add on to Mr. Safety's list, we tend to be land heavy in many builds so those late game land drops become beaters too.
    I would go so far as to consider cutting 1 of the utility lands for a Swamp, probably a Factory, to further stabilize the mana-base. It might not be necessary, simply because the Scroll incentivizes you to play Dark Rituals (which also help stabilize the mana by giving multiple black mana to cast the BB spells.) Factories help cast Scroll but you occasionally get mana-screwed in Pox because you don't have BB.
    Brainstorm Realist

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Ruling question: Say I manifest Hymn to Tourach, swing for 2 damage, they try Swords to plowshares before damage. Can I instant speed Hymn their hand in response? Or flip a manifested land to dodge the removal?
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    Ruling question: Say I manifest Hymn to Tourach, swing for 2 damage, they try Swords to plowshares before damage. Can I instant speed Hymn their hand in response? Or flip a manifested land to dodge the removal?
    If you flicker a manifested card and it is a non-permanent, it stays exiled. If it's permanent it comes into play as whatever it is. So, in your example, no you cannot instant speed hymn their hand.
    Note that with this specific ability, you can only flip up creatures by paying their cost, anything else needs to be externally flickered by something else.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

The way I see it in Pox we shouldn't focus on Scroll of Fate to cheat stuff or bypass casting obstacles like Dreadnought decks are discussing. I'm thinking back to lots of game where (pre Last Hope days) where we have a Liliana and a Cursed Scroll out, and our play pattern is activate Cursed Scroll, then uptick Liliana to keep their hand low/empty. Stuff we're losing is no longer relevant like Hymns and extra Lilianas. In this case Scroll of Fate activations earns us a free body to bring our clock down from the glacial pace it typically resides.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    The way I see it in Pox we shouldn't focus on Scroll of Fate to cheat stuff or bypass casting obstacles like Dreadnought decks are discussing. I'm thinking back to lots of game where (pre Last Hope days) where we have a Liliana and a Cursed Scroll out, and our play pattern is activate Cursed Scroll, then uptick Liliana to keep their hand low/empty. Stuff we're losing is no longer relevant like Hymns and extra Lilianas. In this case Scroll of Fate activations earns us a free body to bring our clock down from the glacial pace it typically resides.
    I 100% agree; this isn't a combo card for pox, it's just a threat that fits well in the strategy.

Brainstorm Realist

I 100% agree; this isn't a combo card for pox, it's just a threat that fits well in the strategy.

Sure. But Bane of the Living gives Pox an uncounterable instant speed board wipe with Scroll.
    Last edited by Pittplayer; 08-06-2019 at 09:49 PM.

the card is so hard to pass up..turns our dead draws into gas..not sure how many copies i'd run but i'm definitely getting a copy or two..

8-rack in modern could really use this effect..

After testing Scroll of Fate, it seems to me to be an auto-include in most Pox decks.

Upsides:

Makes creatures uncounterable and able to be played at instant speed.
    Bane of the Living is an uncounterable instant speed board wipe with Scroll on the field.
    Jace hesitates to bounce the manifested creatures since the control player does not know what card you will be getting back in hand.
    You can manifest creatures eot to give them pseudo haste.
    All kinds of tricks with morph creatures.
    No more dead draws, all your cards can be 2/2's.
    No activation cost besides tapping.
    Makes Pox decks less GY dependent.
    Makes discard spells dead against you since you can just manifest in response to a discard spell.

Downsides:

Dies to abrupt decay and kolaghan's command.
    Can be stopped by needle/revoker.
    Counterable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    After testing Scroll of Fate, it seems to me to be an auto-include in most Pox decks.

Upsides:

Makes creatures uncounterable and able to be played at instant speed.
    Bane of the Living is an uncounterable instant speed board wipe with Scroll on the field.
    Jace hesitates to bounce the manifested creatures since the control player does not know what card you will be getting back in hand.
    You can manifest creatures eot to give them pseudo haste.
    All kinds of tricks with morph creatures.
    No more dead draws, all your cards can be 2/2's.
    No activation cost besides tapping.
    Makes Pox decks less GY dependent.
    Makes discard spells dead against you since you can just manifest in response to a discard spell.

Downsides:

Dies to abrupt decay and kolaghan's command.
    Can be stopped by needle/revoker.
    Counterable.
    1. Making creatures uncounterable doesn't seem that exciting because what creatures are you even playing? You don't care if they counter your Bloodghast or Nether Spirit and if you manifest Tombstalker or Angler then the 'uncounterable creature' aspect is irrelevant because you'll never have enough mana to flip them.
    2. I don't think the deck would ever play Bane of the Living even if there is a combo that lets you play it facedown for 0 mana.
    3. This point about jace is nonsense, if the 2/2 was a card that you really wanted to keep in hand then you wouldn't have manifested it in the first place.
    4. Yup this is nice but will be awkward with Liliana sometimes.
    5. Which ones?
    6. Yes, this is the best reason to play the card.
    7. Yeah this is cool, doesn't interfere with paying for Mishra's Factory / Cursed Scroll
    8. Kind of? But a lot of the existing winconditions aren't very grave dependent anyway. For example you could argue this replaces Crucible, which is highly graveyard dependent, but Crucible acting as disruption by returning Wastelands is an extremely strong upside that this card doesn't have. PWs also are not graveyard dependent. So while I agree that not being GY dependent is good, I'm not sure how significant that is
    9. Okay, but this is kind of marginal, it's only relevant after resolving a 3-mana artifact when you are otherwise hellbent in which case discardspells aren't going to be very effective against you anyway

1. Yeah being an artifact is worse than Enchantment/PW, K-Command isn't too popular at the moment but Abrade/Grudge are around
    2. Yeah, being an activated ability is a downside, but the deck has so many other targets for needles (PW/Scroll/Waste/Factory) that I think it's probably ok
    3. Yup this is a downside but applies to most cards

I think the biggest drawbacks are
    1. Makes you choose between a 2/2 or a spell. You won't always topdeck a blank and every turn you do draw a relevant spell, this card won't do anything (or at least it forces you to make an awkward decision). It's also technically always going to be card disadvantage so you have to dig through a LOT of blanks for it to start to make sense.
    2. Not disruption. In this slot there are many other cards you could choose that not only win the game but also interact with the opponent: Davriel, Last Hope, Crucible (indirectly), Cursed Scroll, etc. Most people are not playing cards that only win the game and do nothing else e.g. Underworld Dreams or Shrieking Affliction. This is arguably a bit better than those two, because the 2/2s can attack planeswalkers and also block, and a 2/2 every turn probably kills the opponent faster than Shrieking Affliction, but many of these other wincon options function as discard or removal (or as a mana source, in the case of Factory/Urami etc), while this doesn't.
    3. You are still turning cards into creatures which can clash with the symmetrical anti-creature options like Smallpox/Innocent Blood/Toxic Deluge/Ensnaring Bridge etc

I think the card seems reasonable but I'm not totally sold on it

Mire in Misery. Auto include in Pox sideboards.

Thread Information