Page 147 of 332 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157197247 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Sorry everyone, just been a bit busy, I submitted something dumb/bad this week, hopefully I'll have time to do the analysis, but I will be gone pretty much the whole day tomorrow.
    It was good enough to use a banned card, so it couldn't have been that bad!

I had deck with both Rack and Darksteel Citadel saved for this week, so I'm a bit disappointed they got banned already. I was hoping to get Mental Misstep out of the way first.
    Edit: It only would have gotten 38 points last week so silkster's version was better.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Busy day at work, but I found a gap to post and we're complete, so let's go!

DECKS FOR ROUND 2 OF SEASON 8: Peasant Continued Bannathon

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens
    2. Reeplcheep: Dimir Aqueduct, Swamp, Shrieking Affliction, Sanitarium Skeleton
    3. dte: plains, mistveil plains, conjurer's bauble, gather the townsfolk
    4. H: Swamp, Fieldmist Borderpost, Blackmail, Porcelain Legionnaire
    5. alphastryk: Chronomaton, Wretched Banquet, Swamp, Fourth Bridge Prowler
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: Mountain, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens
    7. Wrath of Pie: Swamp, Plains, Cabal Therapy, Doomed Traveler
    8. FTW: Swamp, Cabal Therapy, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Thornbow Archer
    9. maxx!: Swamp, Cabal Therapy, Shield Sphere, Thornbow Archer
    10. Tylert: Plains, Chronomaton, Doomed Traveler, Sunlance
    11. silkster: Plains, Knight of Old Benalia, Storm Crow, Force of Will

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    We also have a new Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Asthereal; 10-07-2020 at 01:17 PM.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's catastrophe for round oh crap FoW is uncommon:

That's me, uninspiredly borrowing a deck again.
    You make a Skeleton and then an Affliction and just sit there. My team can't win here. 0-6
    Math needed. See below. On the draw you're too fast. On the play I tried to get there but forgot you Gather with the bonus turned on at some point... 0-6
    OTD you Blackmail me. OTP I make my team and your Legionnaire lands too late to stop the onslaught, as FTW pointed out. 3-3
    Prowler and Banquet kill dudes and stuff. Chrono stays back for defence and grows EOT until he's 20/20. From there it's a 20/20 vs. 3 1/1 dudes. You're not low enough I think, so that should be two losses. 0-6
    Gobbos trade rather than smash. 2-2
    Yay, I can win one! OTP I make my team and my team beats your double 1/1. OTD you wreck my hand. 3-3
    OTP I make my team and we draw because your defence is good. OTD you wreck my hand. 1-4
    OTP I make my team and we draw because your defence is good. OTD you wreck my hand. 1-4
    I guess I lose this too. Looks similar to the other Chrono MU. 0-6
    FoW > combo. 0-6

Total: 10 points :(

EDIT against dte
    A: Make 6 dudes
    R: Make a tapped land
    A: Attack, R=16
    R: Make 2 dudes
    A: Attack, trade two, 4 left, R=12
    R: Bauble back that Townsfolk thingy
    A: Attack, R=8
    R: Make 2 more dudes, have to keep them this time, or Mistveil doesn't work..
    A: Attack, let through, R=4
    R: Use Mistveil thingy to retrieve Townsfolk (retrieving Bauble is too slow)
    A: Attack, trade 2, R=2
    R: Cast Townsfolk EDIT: WITH FATEFUL SHIZZLE and you make more dudes than I have so I lose.

Also, I am bad with bad cards.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 10-07-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP Therapy takes both Rites for value. OTD you make 6 Goblins. My 1/2 is enough to prevent you from winning (5+4+3+2+1+0=15). Prowler can trade with 2 Goblins, not enough to break the stalemate. WD 4-1

2. Reeplcheep: OTP Therapy takes Affliction. Then Thornbow Archer kills you through Skeleton. OTD you can play Affliction first. I play Archer. You play Skeleton and Aqueduct. I keep 2 cards in hand and take 0 to Affliction, but Thornbow can kill you through Skeleton (or race it). WW 6-0

3. dte: OTP Therapy takes Bauble, then Prowler+flashback Therapy takes Gather the Townsfolk. You cast no spells and Archer kills you.
    OTD your best line is to play Bauble first. I Therapy Gather the Townsfolk. You play Mistveil tapped. I play Thornbow. If you return Gather now, I can kill a token with Prowler turning off your loop and then killing you. Instead you could hold Bauble until Thornbow attacks you to 4 life, then return and draw Gather and cast it with Fateful Hour to make 5 tokens. I can't win from there, so I just never let you go below 5 and we draw. WD 4-1

4. H: OTP Therapy takes Blackmail, flashback Therapy or Prowler takes Legionnaire, and Thornbow kills you. OTD you Blackmail me and I have to hide Swamp. If you take a creature, I Therapy Legionnaire or the Borderpost and the 2nd creature wins. If you take Therapy, I can play a creature and flashback Therapy for the same result. WW 6-0

5. alphastryk: OTP Therapy takes Wretched Banquet. If you ever play Chronomaton, Prowler kills it. If you play your Prowler or do nothing, I play out Thornbow and it races you. OTD it plays out the same way. If you play Chronomaton, Prowler kills it. I take your removal with Therapy and Thornbow beats your Prowler. WW 6-0

6. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP Therapy takes both Rites. OTD Thornbow blocks to draw. WD 4-1

7. Wrath of Pie: OTP Therapy takes Traveler. You can Therapy either creature, but I play the other and win. OTD if you Therapy my Therapy, Archer is enough to beat Traveler. If you Therapy the Archer, I Therapy your Traveler, you can't flashback and Prowler wins. If you play Traveler first, I Therapy your Therapy. You can flashback to take either of my creatures, but either Prowler or Archer beats your 1/1 token. If you don't flashback, Prowler+Archer wrecks the Traveler. WW 6-0

9. maxx!: I almost played this exact deck! I narrowly chose Prowler over the 0-drop for the Chronomaton matchup. OTP I Therapy your Archer and you double Therapy me to draw. OTD if you double Therapy me, I can Therapy (or flashback) your Archer to draw. If you play Archer first, I can play Archer and they negate each others' triggers so you can't damage me. DD 2-2

10. Tylert: This plays out like alphastryk. Therapy takes Sunlance. Thornbow races Traveler. If you ever play Chronomaton, Prowler kills it. WW 6-0

11. silkster: OTP I cast Cabal Therapy (don't have to name anything yet). You have to FoW it or I take Knight and you can't counter both creatures. You suspend Knight. I play Archer and then Prowler and deal you some damage. By the time Knight resolves you can't race me so you block to draw. OTD you can suspend first, but Therapy takes FoW and you still aren't fast enough for your 3 damage to race mine. DD 2-2

46 points (13 wins, 7 draws, 0 losses)
    Last edited by FTW; 10-07-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    That's me, uninspiredly borrowing a deck again.

OTD you Blackmail me. OTP I make my team and you have to keep the Legionnaire backf or defence for the draw. 1-4
    You win OTP. Goblins are good at smashing.

6+5+4+3+2=20, so if you get the first attack for 6 through then you win through the blocker. A single blocker can only draw if it's out turn 1 (5+4+3+2+1=15). Turn 2 is too slow. Phyrexian mana makes it even worse.

Feb 2014

Lost a very long post with very long maths against Asthereal, Reeplcheep, alphastryx... damn! Here is a shorter version.

me, on my third bauble deck.

6/0. You cannot attack into fateful hour, see below.

6/0. I never play bauble to use mistveil in my upkeep and draw it, so I take damages from affliction only every other turn. After making enough tokens, I can even stay at two cards in hand all time.

6/0. Bauble > Blackmail.

6/0. Bauble allow me to retrieve gather and blank the two removals. Large army beats chronomaton.

6/0, see Asthereal

3/3. T1 bauble FTW OTP, lose to a white token(!) OTD.

1/4. The one MU were raise the alarm would have been much better than gather the townsfolk. But I do not have the courage to see if raise the alarm could have beaten the other decks.

3/3. Cabal therapy versus bauble MU.

10. Tylert: Plains, Chronomaton, Doomed Traveller, Sunlance
    6-0. Sunlance is not great versus me.

6-0. Bauble > FoW

49, was very good, except versus therapy (expected). After reading half of the lists I was very hopeful no one played it, but they were all grouped together...

A OTP
    T1 6 tokens, mistveil
    T2 attack (d 14), d plain, bauble
    T3 attack (d 8), d gather.
    T4 if you attack with 3+ tokens, I retrieve gather with bauble and have fateful hour to have more token than you. So you have to attack with 2 (d6), d retrieve gather with mistveils.
    T5 if you attack with anything, I block 2 and play gather with fateful on, for more tokens than you. .

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    You can DD here, no?
    T1 plains, traveler, swamp skeleton (in whichever order).
    T2 if R attacks, WoP block and ride a 1/1 flying to victory. If Wop attacks, R blocks and attack with a 1/2 to victory.
    So no one moves, and it ends up at DD?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    You win OTP. Goblins are good at smashing.

6+5+4+3+2=20, so if you get the first attack for 6 through then you win through the blocker. A single blocker can only draw if it's out turn 1 (5+4+3+2+1=15). Turn 2 is too slow. Phyrexian mana makes it even worse.
    Thanks. I forgot that he can't drop his dude on turn one.
    Counting is hard, especially in the low range.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    A OTP
    T1 6 tokens, mistveil
    T2 attack (d 14), d plain, bauble
    T3 attack (d 8), d gather.
    T4 if you attack with 3+ tokens, I retrieve gather with bauble and have fateful hour to have more token than you. So you have to attack with 2 (d6), d retrieve gather with mistveils.
    T5 if you attack with anything, I block 2 and play gather with fateful on, for more tokens than you. .
    Yup, I forgot about the bonus being turned on the last time you cast it. I just lose then. Edited my post.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    You can DD here, no?
    T1 plains, traveler, swamp skeleton (in whichever order).
    T2 if R attacks, WoP block and ride a 1/1 flying to victory. If Wop attacks, R blocks and attack with a 1/2 to victory.
    So no one moves, and it ends up at DD?
    I missed the "don't cast Therapy" line, that would do it.

Round "What I should have played last week":

Me: silkster: Plains, Knight of Old Benalia, Storm Crow, Force of Will

6 points

I think I can attack through this since you can't rebuy and cast the skeleton in the same turn.
    Interestingly, the "better play" is not to counter the Affliction, though it doesn't make a difference.
    6 points

Wow, that's a lot of redundancy. I sense a theme. I had Mistveil Plains flagged for much, much, much later. 0 points
    My prototype for a Mistveil Plains deck was using Raise the Alarm, and Gaze of Justice. If I had found Gather the Townsfolk, I might have gone in that direction. The fateful hour is a good ability, but the instant speed would be relevant against sorcery removal like Fourth Bridge Prowler.
    That's two weeks in a row where even if I were given everyone else's decklists I still couldn't have done as well. I'm excited to see how you break the meta next week.
    Actually, I almost wonder if it was a mistake to play these cards next week. It seems likely that someone is going to win with Cabal Therapy, and I don't think anyone else was going to find a configuration like that this week with so many better-looking uncommons running around. This deck might have been a shoo-in for a clean sweep next week. Then again, it's probably not worth trying to predict the meta so precisely, which is a lesson that I have declared to have learned half a dozen times now. Maybe it will stick one day.

4. H: Swamp, Fieldmist Borderpost, Blackmail, Porcelain Legionnaire 0 points

2 points

6 points

6 points

Protect the big guy, and keep him on guard duty. DD,
    2 points

DL, 1 point I didn't realize that Shield Sphere was common. Silly online Masters Edition.

Woo, white threat. 6 points

35 points.

These Thornbow Archers are much more aggressive than options chosen last week, when this would have scored 50 points. Alas, I should have predicted a shift, though I'm not sure what I would have played instead. I was really hoping to put Storm Crow on the banned list to confuse anyone who might show up late.

I suspect that people thought of Force of Will as a mythic rare because of its more recent printings, but this was apparently not the week to spend that knowledge. I should have just played discard. And there are 3 decks scoring better already. I really didn't want to have to work around Force.
    Last edited by silkster; 10-07-2020 at 09:35 PM.

I completely forgot about 4CB until last night just a few hours before the deadline, so I just decided to abuse Therapy and hope that was good enough. Let's find out.

maxx!: Swamp, Cabal Therapy, Shield Sphere, Thornbow Archer

Matchup as old as time. OTP Therapy hits. OTD I can block. 4-1

I think this plays out exactly the same as your matchup with FTW. OTP Therapy gets Affliction and the Archer beats the Skeleton. OTD I hold Therapy and Shield Sphere and get there with the Archer. 6-0

OTP I can double Therapy and you can't ever do anything. OTD you stick Bauble first, and I can't stop your loop. 3-3

OTP double Therapy leaves you with nothing. OTD you have to lead with Blackmail or you'd lose to double Therapy. I can't hide both my Swamp and my threat, so the best I can do is let you take my Archer and then Therapy away your threats and we sit there doing nothing. 4-1

OTP double Therapy takes Chronomaton and Banquet, and Archer beats your Prowler. OTD Chronomaton lands and it blocks too well for me to race. 3-3

Same as Asthereal. 4-1

OTP I take your non-lands. OTD you Therapy first. You have to take Archer because if it resolves you can't beat it, so you do. Then I take your Traveler and nobody attacks. 4-1

Nice deck. There are a lot of lines here and I can't see any that do better than a draw going both ways. 2-2

This is me :]

OTP I can take Chronomaton and Sunlance and that should be good enough. OTD I can't beat Chronomaton. 3-3

OTP FoW can't stop both Therapies, so I can take your Knight. OTD I can't stop your Knight from resolving, but there's no chance you can race me (especially since I can block 3 times with Shield Sphere). 4-1

4+6+3+4+3+4+4+2+3+4 = 37

Not bad for a deck I had to think of quickly, but FTW had the better version of this deck. GG

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Me: silkster: Plains, Knight of Old Benalia, Storm Crow, Force of Will

I suspect that people thought of Force of Will as a mythic rare because of it's more recent printings, and this was apparently not the week to spend this knowledge. I should have just played discard. And there are 3 decks scoring better already. I really didn't want to have to work around Force.
    I was saving FoW for a later round but you let the cat out of the bag. I thought it wasn't good enough compared to other options like Mental Misstep and Cabal Therapy because the 2-for-1 really limits threat options, playing 1 1-drop common vs their 2 cards or their 2-drop.

I expected your deck to lose to the Chronomaton decks, but somehow they both played conditional removal you could beat. You also found a 1-mana 3/3 that we somehow forgot to ban earlier. I think that was your real edge here, not even the Force. Good find!

Thornbow Archer was a meta reaction to what looked popular after last week. Looks like maxx! was on the same page!

Edit: dte again found a creative engine that no one else's disruption could handle. Congrats dte, great idea again! I was thinking about Mistveil Plains later on but couldn't find such a resilient home for it. Fateful Hour makes it really hard for your deck to lose, even when it can't win.
    Last edited by FTW; 10-07-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Round 2: Do rack effects work without discard (No). Lost a lot of points trying to beat strip mine.

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens WW
    1/2s beats empty.

Me.

3. dte: plains, mistveil plains, conjurer's bauble, gather the townsfolk.
    LL per above

4. H: Swamp, Fieldmist Borderpost, Blackmail, Porcelain Legionnaire.
    So I resubmitted a list with sulfur vents instead of dimir aqueduct for this reason, but it seems like astherial printed the wrong one?
    OTD I have to let you take my rack so I have a land drop, so the skeleton holds the ground. OTP rack races or skeleton kills you if you do nothing. WD.

Edit: First strike op. I very slowly lose OTD since I can only chump every other turn. WL

If vents:
    OTD I never let you take my rack, and the legionnaire loses the race since it is slower. Additionally matter what you take skeleton will be able to block once. OTP its worse. WW.

Chronomaton + swamp beats my dude.LL

1/2s beat empty. WW

Plains + Doomed traveler races my dude. LL

8. FTW: Swamp, Cabal Therapy, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Thornbow Archer.
    Swamp archer, pass wins. LL

Swamp archer, pass wins. LL

Chronomaton + plains beats my dude.LL

11. silkster: Plains, Knight of Old Benalia, Storm Crow, Force of Will.
    Knight + plains beats my dude.LL

5W=15. Overall a terrible performance due to a too conservative choice of threat. Thornbow archer would have gotten me at leas 18 more points.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 10-08-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post

So I resubmitted a list with sulfur vents instead of dimir aqueduct for this reason, but it seems like astherial printed the wrong one?
    OTD I have to let you take my rack so I have a land drop, so the skeleton holds the ground. OTP rack races or skeleton kills you if you do nothing. WD.

If vents:
    OTD I never let you take my rack, and the legionnaire loses the race since it is slower. Additionally matter what you take skeleton will be able to block once. OTP its worse. WW.
    You probably did your update as a reply to the original entry, in which case it automates the recipient as whoever sent the last message (in other words, you sent your update to yourself and not Asthereal).

Sep 2011

Yeah Reeplcheep, check your inbox and Sent Messages. It probably sent to yourself. If you just hit Reply to your own message and do not change the recipient, it replies to yourself. The Source is an old forum and not as smart as gmail. A few of us have already been caught with that before. You can get around it by using Forward or just writing a new message to Asthereal.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Round 2: Do rack effects work without discard (No). Lost a lot of points trying to beat strip mine.

OTD Skeleton can't hold the ground.
    Your lands produce 3 mana. Replaying skeleton costs 2B+B=4 mana, so it takes 2 turn cycles. H gets a free attack in between each time.
    WL 3-3?

If you played Sulfur Vent you would do better against Blackmail and Strip Mine, but you wouldn't be able to loop the Skeleton because the first time would sacrifice your Vent.
    Last edited by FTW; 10-08-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    You probably did your update as a reply to the original entry, in which case it automates the recipient as whoever sent the last message (in other words, you sent your update to yourself and not Asthereal).
    Just checked, and I didn't get an updated deck from Reep.
    I did get a second PM from someone else, but it contained the exact same deck.

Wrath is right, and it happened once before already. If you reply to your own PM, you'll send the reply to yourself and not to me.
    If anyone wants to rethink their deck, just send me a completely new PM before the deadline.
    I'll just use the newest deck you sent me (unless I see it's illegal, in which case I'll post the newest legal entry - I had to do this once).

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: Swamp, Fieldmist Borderpost, Blackmail, Porcelain Legionnaire

Blackmail on the Play, too slow on the Draw. 3-3

As FTW pointed out, I can win on the Play by Blackmailing either Swamp or Affliction. I lose on the Draw though. 3-3

I can't beat this. 0-6

4. H: Bye, myself.

As FTW points out, on the Play, I can Blackmail the Chrono, since Swamp must be hidden to avoid the loss, then I can just not play anything and force the draw. 1-4

Blackmail wins on the Play, I lose on the Draw. 3-3

I can't beat Therapy. 1-4 (I can force the draw on the Play though, by taking either Plains or Traveler, as dte pointed out.)

More Therapy. 0-6

maxx!! can't hide both the Archer and the Swamp though so I can work a draw here too. 1-4

I think I can win on the Play, since I can take either Plains or Chrono. I lose on the Draw though. 3-3

I think I can win here via Blackmail. 6-0

21? Told you my deck was pretty bad, haha.
    Last edited by H; 10-08-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    H: Swamp, Fieldmist Borderpost, Blackmail, Porcelain Legionnaire

AS pointed out, I can work a draw on the Play, but I lose on the Draw. 1-4
    What am I missing here?
    OTP Porcelain Legionnaire should win through Sanitarium Skeleton because it takes him 2 turns to recast it (2BB) so you should get damage through in between right?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    What am I missing here?
    OTP Porcelain Legionnaire should win through Sanitarium Skeleton because it takes him 2 turns to recast it (2BB) so you get damage through in between.
    Oh, I totally didn't read Skeleton honestly, and thought it was something else.

So on the Play, I Blackmail either the Affliction or the Swamp and can win, on the Draw though, I just lose to Affliction or Skeleton if I do nothing.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information