Page 178 of 332 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188228278 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,560 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

AyulaBearmaster Results for Round "UnBearable"

1. Asthereal (TO): Grove of the Burnwillows, Mountain, Punishing Fire, Volcanic Dragon
    Removal :( 6-0

2. Wrath of Pie: Timberline Ridge, Helix Pinnacle, Mugging, Mugging
    Removal :( 4-1

3. Reeplcheep: Pine Barrens, Deathmark, Deathmark, Helix Pinnacle

4. FTW: Veldt, Helix Pinnacle, Traproot Kami, Green Scarab
    Grizzly smash! 0-6

5. dte: Wirewood Symbiote, Ketria Triome, Saprazzan Legate, Saprazzan Legate
    Grizzly smash! 0-6

6. jhhdk: Secluded Steppe, Secluded Steppe, Circle of protection: Green, Mesa Pegasus
    Protection :( 6-0

7. H: Swamp, Reaver Drone, Deathmark, Deathmark

8. alphastryk: Subterranean Hangar, Glistening Oil, Diamond Kaleidoscope, Helix Pinnacle
    Poison smash! 0-6

9. Tylert: Forest, Sulfur vent, Budoka gardener, Jade mage
    2/2 beats 1/1 0-6

10. GoblinSmashmaster: Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Mountain, Bear Cub, Ayula, Queen Among Bears
    That's me, showing the bears who's boss!

11. Serguei: Subterranean Hangar, Perish, Mental agony, Acolyte of Xathrid

12. maxx!: Karplusan Forest, Molten Slagheap, Elvish Archers, Dead Ringers
    Grizzly smash! 0-6

Total: 34 points
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 01-24-2021 at 02:16 AM.

tl;dr - I lose to any colourless, red, blue, black a or non creature threat that wins before turn 102. I thought the specificity was worth being faster in the helix mirror (the Uber slow lands are all allied colours). I was wrong.

1. Asthereal (TO): Non creature threat. LL 6-0
    2. Wrath of Pie: lose the mirror to Uber slow lands as mentioned WW 0-6
    3. Reeplcheep: me
    5. dte: Lose the mirror to Uber slow lands. WW 0-6
    6. jhhdk: No un deathmarkable threats WW 0-6
    7. H: Deathmark pays off LL 0-6
    8. alphastryk: Lose the mirror to slow filter. WW 0-6
    9. Tylert: no undeathmarkable threatsWW 0-6
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: No un deathmarkable threats. WW 0-6
    11. Serguei: Hello! Undeathmarkable threat that wins before t100. LL 6-0
    12. maxx!: No un deathmarkable threat WW 0-6

Didn’t think too deeply about this one and it showed. 18 points.

maxx!: Karplusan Forest, Molten Slagheap, Elvish Archers, Dead Ringers

1. Asthereal (TO): Grove of the Burnwillows, Mountain, Punishing Fire, Volcanic Dragon
    My Archers can't survive Punishing Fire, and it eventually kills me. 0-6 -> 6 points

My Archers get mugged and I lose after 200ish turns. 0-6 -> 6 points

Deathmark is live, my elves are dead, and Pinnacle gets there. 0-6 -> 6 points

I sent in my deck with a Snow-Covered Forest instead of the painland, and then while we were waiting for silk I sent in this new version. I thought people might play symmetric damage (Copper Tablet, etc.), and thought the 1 damage would help. Oops. 6-0 -> 0 points

Taiga would've been so much better than Karplusan Forest, haha. Go figure. 6-0 -> 0 points

6. jhhdk: Secluded Steppe, Secluded Steppe, Circle of protection: Green, Mesa Pegasus
    CoP: Green is too strong for me. 0-6 -> 6 points

Playing a green creature is really paying off. 0-6 -> 6 points

8. alphastryk: Subterranean Hangar, Glistening Oil, Diamond Kaleidoscope, Helix Pinnacle
    Glistening Oil kills my only threat. Praise Helix. 0-6 -> 6 points

Oh no. I win the race if you only ever play 1 creature, and if you play both then I can Dead Ringers them. You'll get a third body left behind, but it can't beat or race my Archers. 6-0 -> 0 points

10. GoblinSmashmaster: Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Mountain, Bear Cub, Ayula, Queen Among Bears
    Da Bears. Thankfully, first strike doesn't apply when creatures fight. One of your bears fights my Elves, and after they kill each other Dead Ringers stays dead. 0-6 -> 6 points

Welcome! Really clever to use discard to prevent a bear from dodging Perish. Fortunately for me, Perish kills my only threat and then I die ever so slowly. 0-6 -> 6 points

This is me :]

6+6+6+0+0+6+6+6+0+6+6 = 48

This round was super fun. Looks like a lot of people saw the value of green creatures (because a lot of people played green hosers). Also lots of Helix Pinnacles.

Here's what I didn't submit:
    Centaur Garden, Dreadship Reef, Flooded Woodlands, Helix Pinnacle
    Helix Pinnacle, but wins most Helix Pinnacle mirrors. Glad I didn't run this. Hypothetical Score: 24

Hickory Woodlot, Battlefield Forge, Roar of the Kha, An-Havva Constable
    Me trying to play something that resembles a green 2/2 vs nongreen creatures. Same results as my submission, except I think I also get a draw instead of a win vs Tylert. Hypothetical Score: 50

Kazandu Refuge, Snow-Covered Forest, Grizzly Bears, Disciple of the Old Ways
    My deck that came the closest to the deck to beat. I think this only beats dte as-is, and would be a clean sweep with Taiga. The Tylert match is close but I think the extra body lets him race me no matter what I do. Hypothetical Score: 60

Irrigation Ditch, Saprazzan Skerry, Intrepid Hero, Muraganda Petroglyphs
    The Meekstone version is straight up better vs this field, but this version matches up better (worse?) vs Memnite. Deathmark hitting white creatures helps a lot. Hypothetical Score: 48

I overvalued life totals for racing (opting for painlands, etc.) and undervalued basic land types. Lifegain scared me off the Disciple of the Old Ways deck. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    I think Dead Ringers is too narrow to actually beat you. You just have to lead with Ayula, and then if I ever play my creature, you play the Bear Cub and make them fight, leaving you with only Ayula. Dead Ringers requires 2 targets to cast, and it's a sorcery, so there's no time when you'll have 2 bears in play at once. I have to play Archers or you'll just kill me with Ayula, and whenever I do then you can trade the Bear Cub for Archers.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    maxx!:
    Kazandu Refuge, Snow-Covered Forest, Grizzly Bears, Disciple of the Old Ways
    My deck that came the closest to the deck to beat. I think this only beats dte as-is, and would be a clean sweep with Taiga. The Tylert match is close but I think the extra body lets him race me no matter what I do. Hypothetical Score: 60
    In retrospect, this thought process of being almost exactly the target deck is probably the best plan here because you'll almost always lose to the same things that beat that deck. So maybe its as simple as:

Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Mountain, Grizzly Bears, Disciple of the Old Ways

Although can the Canadians force a draw there? They sit back, if you ever attack with the first striker then they double block and it turns fully into a staring contest. I think it has to be:

Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Mountain, Disciple of the Old Ways, Disciple of the Old Ways

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    In retrospect, this thought process of being almost exactly the target deck is probably the best plan here because you'll almost always lose to the same things that beat that deck. So maybe its as simple as:

Snow-covered Forest, Snow-covered Mountain, Grizzly Bears, Disciple of the Old Ways

Although can the Canadians force a draw there? They sit back, if you ever attack with the first striker then they double block and it turns fully into a staring contest. I think it has to be:

Snow-covered Forest, Snow-covered Mountain, Disciple of the Old Ways, Disciple of the Old Ways
    I don't think either of those decks can win OTD, because the bears get to attack you first.

OTD
    T1: land, land
    T2: bear, dotow
    T3: bear attacks
    If you block and trade, then the bears make the same attack next turn before you can untap R. You can force the draw, but if you wait to untap then you can't ever win. The bears are ahead in the race, and won't ever have to block. If you don't attack, then neither do they, and you stare. If you attack, they attack back and kill you a turn before you kill them.
    If instead you don't block on turn 2, then you're still down in the life total race, and the bears can just sit back and wait for you to attack. Whenever you do attack, the bears double block a single DotOW, take 2 damage, and now it's 18 to 18 with one creature for each of you, and they can win that race too. And again, if you opt not to race, then they don't attack either.

The 1 life you can gain from a land is enough to change the math by a turn, so now the onus is on the bears to attack or lose the race, and you get favorable blocks.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I don't think either of those decks can win OTD, because the bears get to attack you first.

OTD
    T1: land, land
    T2: bear, dotow
    T3: bear attacks
    If you block and trade, then the bears make the same attack next turn before you can untap R. You can force the draw, but if you wait to untap then you can't ever win. The bears are ahead in the race, and won't ever have to block. If you don't attack, then neither do they, and you stare. If you attack, they attack back and kill you a turn before you kill them.
    If instead you don't block on turn 2, then you're still down in the life total race, and the bears can just sit back and wait for you to attack. Whenever you do attack, the bears double block a single DotOW, take 2 damage, and now it's 18 to 18 with one creature for each of you, and they can win that race too. And again, if you opt not to race, then they don't attack either.

The 1 life you can gain from a land is enough to change the math by a turn, so now the onus is on the bears to attack or lose the race, and you get favorable blocks.
    Interesting, I did not realize the life gain from the land was that critical. Its hard to skate so close to the deck you have to beat and still beat it.

My final take then would be something like Taiga, Kazandu Refuge, Grizzly Bears, Disciple of the Old Ways

or maybe Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Mountain, Highland Game, Disciple of the Old Ways

That way you have both a Forest and a Mountain while still gaining the life to win the race.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jhhdk View Post
    My defence holds up against your onslaught and your removal is too narrow to be effective (amazingly Narrow! I should have gone with green
    forestwalk creature instead and I could've had draws here).

Dead Ringers is indeed an incredible removal in this format!

better than forestwalk, you have snow-covered forestwalk with Rime Dryad. It was in my first submission before realizing that a vanilla green 1/1 was enough.

AyulaBearmaster Results for Round "UnBearable"

I don't think it's possible for me to beat you, Timberline Ridge is really bad at untapping so you just wait for me to cast Pinnacle/add a tower counter to cast your Bears and get one out of Mugging range, which leads to you winning, thus we stare.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    I don't think it's possible for me to beat you, Timberline Ridge is really bad at untapping so you just wait for me to cast Pinnacle/add a tower counter to cast your Bears and get one out of Mugging range, which leads to you winning, thus we stare.
    I think he's right. You can add Pinnacle counters at EOT, so you should be able to both tick up and always intervene before there are two bears.

Example
    You - Pass with land untapped
    Gobbo - Do nothing. EOT you add a counter to Helix

You - Land is tapped
    Gobbo - play a bear

You - Mugging kills bear before the 2nd one lands

OR

Gobbo - Plays a bear. You don't tick up.

You - Mugging the bear

There's never a safe window to play out both bears before you can remove one.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I think he's right. You can add Pinnacle counters at EOT, so you should be able to both tick up and always intervene before there are two bears.

Example
    Gobbo - Do nothing. EOT you add a counter to Helix

You - Land is tapped
    Gobbo - play a bear

You - Mugging kills bear before the 2nd one lands

OR

Gobbo - Plays a bear. You don't tick up.

You - Mugging the bear

There's never a safe window to play out both bears before you can remove one.
    I think it depends on who goes first. When GS goes first, WoP never has a safe window to play Helix. GS plays a land, then if WoP plays Helix, GS can play a bear on his next turn. WoP’s garbage land stays tapped, then GS can play his second bear. So WoP never plays Helix on the draw. 4-1?

Hello all thanks for the fun
    Perish was definitively a too strong removal
    My deck Subterranean Hangar, Perish, Mental agony, Acolyte of Xathrid

Punishing fire is definitively too strong LL 6pts

You can hold a mugging to kill the acolyte and force the draw DD
    2 points

Acolyte is faster than helix WW 0 points

Acolyte is faster than helix WW 0 points

I kill your symbiote then you cannot cast anything anymore WW 0 points

Your Pegasus is definitively faster than acolyte and I cannot kill it LL 6points

It is just a race here because we cannot deal with the threat of the other and reaver is way faster than acolyte LL 6points

I see I failed to produce the slowest deck . Who knew golfishing on turn 109 was too fast! Also, My removal was not narrow enough clearly.
    I don't think I can beat a discard spell, so Mental Agony takes away my ability to win. EDIT: However, I can hold onto my Oil and kill your Acolyte with it to force draws. DD

2 points
    DD 2 points

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    11. Serguei: I Can win OTP barely by playing jade mage first. You have to Mental agony before using perish. Once you have used mental agony, I can make a 3/3 EOT and as you are at 12, I have 4 turns to kill you that is just enough. OTD, You win just before dying. 3/3 --> 41
    WL 3points

WW 0 points

WW 0 points

Total 25 points Not too good for a first
    I will do better on the next rounds ;)

Fixed my incorrect results, apparently my brain is slower than my land.

Just remembered that Loxodon Peacekeeper is a thing, issue is finding a compatible win condition/card that makes the Peacekeeper actually win against the Canadians.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Man you wanted to play a 2/3??? that is way too strong.
    And here I thought even a 0/3 Wall of Hope was too strong.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    better than forestwalk, you have snow-covered forestwalk with Rime Dryad. It was in my first submission before realizing that a vanilla green 1/1 was enough.
    Rime Dryad is a card I was worried about. It wrecks my Kami strategy.

One of my alternates was designed around it: Sacred Foundry, Snow-Covered Forest, Arctic Foxes, Wall of Hope.
    Both land types and Snow Forests specifically for Rime Dryad. But I thought Wall of Hope might be too OP. The 1/1 Foxes would have gotten 52 points here, only beating the clever Acolyte of Xathrid and drawing vs Mesa Pegasus and Tylert.

I just realized replacing Foxes with Rime Dryad would have scored 62, drawing vs Tylert and losing to everything else, but I never considered it.

Irrigation Ditch, Saprazzan Skerry, Intrepid Hero, Muraganda Petroglyphs
    The Meekstone version is straight up better vs this field, but this version matches up better (worse?) vs Memnite. Deathmark hitting white creatures helps a lot. Hypothetical Score: 48
    Hero's good tech I never thought of. Losing to basically any removal at all means it's easier for opponents to break the lock and also easier to lose vs Helix Pinnacle. I guess the version with Meekstone and Helix Pinnacle would have scored 54 here, only beating the slowest Helix Pinnacle mirrors and losing to everything else.

Just remembered that Loxodon Peacekeeper is a thing, issue is finding a compatible win condition/card that makes the Peacekeeper actually win against the Canadians.
    Would it not work with Helix Pinnacle? Peacekeeper stops them from attacking you. Maybe it works too well though.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Best peacekeeper deck is probably with Helix Pinnacle:

Veldt, Ancient Ziggurat, Loxodon Peacekeeper, Helix Pinnacle

Its still worse than the narrower walls but not a bad plan

Sorry I missed this. I had been checking each week, and then I bought on house last Wednesday (the 13th) and with moving stuff and setting up internet I completely forgot about this. I really couldn't think of much. All I had had in mind was the 200+ turn clock with a depletion land and Helix Pinnacle, then maybe a wall to survive. So at least I (from my perspective) I wasn't sitting on something I was really excited about and missed the chance. Though I was quite excited about this round (it's name even calls out to me), but I didn't have time to do a proper search into it.

Looking at the decks, I'm most impressed by GoblinSmashmaster's bear deck. But I have a few questions.

That's me, showing the bears who's boss!
    If Smashmaster goes first, I think this is a draw. If Wrath casts Helix Pinnacle, then Smashmaster will have time to make an unkillable 4/4. So Wrath can't make the Pinnacle, and Smashmaster can't make any bears or they die.

For this one Smashmaster makes Ayula and tries to win. If maxx! makes Archers, then fight mode will trade off a bear for a 2/1 and the Dead Ringers is never able to catch anything.

Best peacekeeper deck is probably with Helix Pinnacle:

Veldt, Ancient Ziggurat, Loxodon Peacekeeper, Helix Pinnacle

Its still worse than the narrower walls but not a bad plan
    Helix Pinnacle is the obvious solution, but I was hoping for something with life total manipulation, ideally being really slow but winning at just enough life against the Bears. Probably doesn't exist though.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Sorry I missed this. I had been checking each week, and then I bought on house last Wednesday (the 13th) and with moving stuff and setting up internet I completely forgot about this. I really couldn't think of much. All I had had in mind was the 200+ turn clock with a depletion land and Helix Pinnacle, then maybe a wall to survive. So at least I (from my perspective) I wasn't sitting on something I was really excited about and missed the chance.
    Congrats on the house!
    That's quite the reason :)

Otherwise, I think that's weird everyone seem to be so keen on Helix Pinnacle, an undisruptable wincon, albeit slow, does not sound that great in this format compared to a very fragile one. Any of the deck featuring it would have done strictly better by running the exact same deck except for a dryad (or similar, any green 1/1 that cannot be blocked by bears) instead of helix:

FTW, 51 to 56, +5
    alphastryk, 20 to 28, +8
    WoP, 30 to 34, +4
    Reeplcheep: 18 to 32, +14

And then I am sure the rest could have been adapted to do better if the goal is not to go so slow with helix.
    That being said I am glad there was so many helixes, they made mountain unplayable by being too fast :)

Sep 2011

Congrats on the house! No wonder you haven't been online a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Otherwise, I think that's weird everyone seem to be so keen on Helix Pinnacle, an undisruptable wincon, albeit slow, does not sound that great in this format compared to a very fragile one. Any of the deck featuring it would have done strictly better by running the exact same deck except for a dryad (or similar, any green 1/1 that cannot be blocked by bears) instead of helix:

FTW, 51 to 56, +5
    alphastryk, 20 to 28, +8
    WoP, 30 to 34, +4
    Reeplcheep: 18 to 32, +14

And then I am sure the rest could have been adapted to do better if the goal is not to go so slow with helix.
    That being said I am glad there was so many helixes, they made mountain unplayable by being too fast :)
    Do I still get 5 more points if you put Scarab on the Dryad and beat with a 3/4? (optimal play is forced)
    The only thing my wall stops is Forest + green creature. A 3/x Forestwalk that can't be blocked by green creatures doesn't seem to improve that matchup.

The nonbasic + Kami + buff plan doesn't really work with a creature. The noncreature wincons are all undisruptable, so at that point slowest seemed best to lose races. It's "undisruptable" but irrelevant if they can win before turn 200 vs a 0/0 wall. The only risk is facing threats Kami can stop, but then my buffed Dryad could probably race those.

Otherwise, good observation. The others would have done better without Helix Pinnacle. If I wasn't on the Kami plan, my Arctic Foxes deck had a similar idea with a vulnerable 1/1 wincon.

I had Mountain + Forest + Foxes as tech to beat decks like Rime Dryad, Shanodin Dryads and Goblins of the Flarg. Triome + Symbiote + Legate was I guess how you achieved the same thing. The problem is finding a bad defense card that works with Foxes. Kami doesn't work. I missed CoP: Green. Wall of Hope was my front runner, but I thought it'd be too strong against random non-evasive threats and went with the Kami plan instead.

It turns out no one ran Dryad and very few ran basics, and that both Dryad and Wall of Hope would have been great. Backbuild is a really interesting metagaming challenge, trying to play around how everyone else will try to beat the deck.

Edit: I guess there are two ways to look at it. You could go for a vulnerable threat that only beats the bears, or you could go for a vulnerable defense that stops almost nothing but the bears. With the vulnerable defense, the slowest wincon seems fine, as long as they win first.
    Last edited by FTW; 01-25-2021 at 01:34 PM.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Do I still get 5 more points if you put Scarab on the Dryad and beat with a 3/4? (optimal play is forced)
    The only thing my wall stops is Forest + green creature. A 3/x Forestwalk that can't be blocked by green creatures doesn't seem to improve that matchup.
    You're right, I didn't consider enchanting the dryad.
    Your defense working only if the opponent has both a forest and a green creature that is no bigger than 2/2, and no removal VS a green 0/1, was indeed great and worked well with helix.

Thread Information