Page 199 of 332 FirstFirst ... 99149189195196197198199200201202203209249299 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,980 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

We are complete at the deadline, including the new father among us, so here we go:

DECKS FOR ROUND 6 OF SEASON 9: Deviant Legacy - Part 2

This round we play Impatience: At the beginning of each player’s end step, if that player didn’t cast a spell this turn, Impatience deals 2 damage to that player.

The entries:
    1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Golgari Rot Farm, Red Sun's Zenith, Assasin's Trophy
    2. Wrath of Pie: Sheltered Valley, Scrubland, Whitemane Lion, Nezumi Shortfang
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens
    4. FTW: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Isochron Scepter, Assassin's Trophy
    5. jhhdk: Urborg, tomb of Yawgmoth, Forest, Spreading Algae, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    6. dte: City of traitors, Lotus Petal, Hangarback Walker, Induced Amnesia
    7. H: Mountain, Conjurer's Bauble, Conjurer's Bauble, Lightning Bolt
    8. Reeplcheep: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking rootwalla, Basking rootwalla, Vengevine
    9. Tylert: Force Of Negation, Energy Field, Energy Field, Saprazzan Skerry
    10. alphastryk: Khalni Garden, Azorius Chancery, Meddling Mage, Sprout Swarm
    11. maxx!: City of Traitors, Isochron Scepter, Lightning Helix, Rakdos Charm
    12. Serguei: Force Of Negation, Energy Field, Energy Field, Saprazzan Skerry
    13. silkster: Swamp, Pyrokinesis, Drill Bit, Chancellor of the Forge

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    You can also enter your scores in the Google Spreadsheet for the seasonwhich you can find here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Golgari Rot Farm, Red Sun's Zenith, Assasin's Trophy LL
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens LL
    4. FTW: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Isochron Scepter, Assassin's Trophy LL - That's one way to make Trophy good enough.
    5. jhhdk: Urborg, tomb of Yawgmoth, Forest, Spreading Algae, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale WW - Sheltered Valley did some good after all!
    6. dte: City of traitors, Lotus Petal, Hangarback Walker, Induced Amnesia LL
    7. H: Mountain, Conjurer's Bauble, Conjurer's Bauble, Lightning Bolt LL
    8. Reeplcheep: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking rootwalla, Basking rootwalla, Vengevine LL
    9. Tylert: Force Of Negation, Energy Field, Energy Field, Saprazzan Skerry WW
    10. alphastryk: Khalni Garden, Azorius Chancery, Meddling Mage, Sprout Swarm WW
    11. maxx!: City of Traitors, Isochron Scepter, Lightning Helix, Rakdos Charm LL
    12. Serguei: Force Of Negation, Energy Field, Energy Field, Saprazzan Skerry WW
    13. silkster: Swamp, Pyrokinesis, Drill Bit, Chancellor of the Forge LL

8w = 24 points

I got way too cute with Whitemane Lion, and should have just played something better (Energy Field would have been good, thanks Tylert and Serguei).
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 02-24-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Feb 2014

After the banning of Elixir, I balanced between three decks: Duress/Energy field, Stylus/reality acid, and the one above. I preferred the stylus one as it would be unplayable in another round, but got ultimately scared of not playing a deck that was doing anything relevant on T1.

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Golgari Rot Farm, Red Sun's Zenith, Assasin's Trophy
    6-0. Exile your hand does the trick

6-0. Exile your hand does the trick here as well

3. GoblinSmashmaster: Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens
    3-3. T1 decks meeting each others

3-3. T1 decks meeting each others

5. jhhdk: Urborg, tomb of Yawgmoth, Forest, Spreading Algae, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    6-0. Exile your hand does the trick. Nice deck though.

6-0. Exile your hand does the trick, whatever you do on your T1 OTP.

8. Reeplcheep: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking rootwalla, Basking rootwalla, Vengevine
    3-3. T1 decks meeting each others. When you are OTP you deal me 4, 6, 5, 1 = 16 damages, impatience takes care of the rest way before I could kill you.

0-6. Force wins vs T1 decks.

6-0. T1...

3-3.

0-6. This again!

3-3. Very nice combination with the Drill Bit x chancellor!

Turns out I should really have gone for any other decks than boring brutal T1, both round-specific decks would have far much better, with the stylus deck close to the clean swipe (only losing to Gob and 3-3 vs Silkster)!
    Last edited by dte; 02-24-2021 at 10:02 AM.

Ahem, maybe not the best deck ever.

Didn't really consider that in most cases i'll be behind by the time i cast algae and people can deny me recasting by not tapping the land i enchanted.

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Golgari Rot Farm, Red Sun's Zenith, Assasin's Trophy LL
    2. Wrath of Pie: Sheltered Valley, Scrubland, Whitemane Lion, Nezumi Shortfang LL
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens LW
    4. FTW: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Isochron Scepter, Assassin's Trophy LL
    5. jhhdk: Urborg, tomb of Yawgmoth, Forest, Spreading Algae, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale <<-- myself
    6. dte: City of traitors, Lotus Petal, Hangarback Walker, Induced Amnesia LL
    7. H: Mountain, Conjurer's Bauble, Conjurer's Bauble, Lightning Bolt LL
    8. Reeplcheep: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking rootwalla, Basking rootwalla, Vengevine Vengevine gets you ahead, ill never catch up, even if you do nothing at all from there
    9. Tylert: Force Of Negation, Energy Field, Energy Field, Saprazzan Skerry LL
    10. alphastryk: Khalni Garden, Azorius Chancery, Meddling Mage, Sprout Swarm LL
    11. maxx!: City of Traitors, Isochron Scepter, Lightning Helix, Rakdos Charm LL
    12. Serguei: Force Of Negation, Energy Field, Energy Field, Saprazzan Skerry LL
    13. silkster: Swamp, Pyrokinesis, Drill Bit, Chancellor of the Forge LL
    Last edited by jhhdk; 02-25-2021 at 07:48 AM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Hey all, I'm back! My wife and I welcomed a son into the world last week, so this game fell off my radar. Catching up now
    Congratulations on your new son!

alphastryk exerts for one round to create a Treasure

Quote Originally Posted by jhhdk View Post
    Ahem, maybe not the best deck ever.

Didn't really consider that in most cases i'll be behind by the time i cast algae and people can deny me recasting by not tapping the land i enchanted.

12. Serguei: Force Of Negation, Energy Field, Energy Field, Saprazzan Skerry LW, whoever plays first loses

I have not the time to do the full analysys of my matches yet but I do not see the point

In any cases I wil play an energy field and do nothing from this point> It will prevent the damage and you will die alone by taking 2 each turn

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal (TO): I can Trophy on turn 2, killing Rot Farm before it untaps. WW 6-0
    2. Wrath of Pie: If you play Nezumi first, turn 2 Trophy races the activation. Otherwise I blow up your lands. WW 6-0

3. GoblinSmashmaster: Smart round to bring back Empty! OTP I curve out Overseer, Scepter (block as 2/2), then Trophy every turn. I take 7+5+3+1=16 damage from goblins before I Trophy the last token on turn 6, then attack with 5/5 Overseer, while taking 0 damage from Impatience. By your turn 6 you've taken 10 damage from Impatience + 5 from Overseer. 5/5 Overseer kills you next turn.
    OTD I take 8+7+5=20 damage and lose before my 4th turn.
    WL 3-3

5. jhhdk: OTP I play Scepter-Trophy. You play Urborg or Forest. I Trophy your land before you can Algae me.
    OTD you play Urborg, I play Scepter-Trophy. You play Forest and Algae me, I Trophy your Forest and lose my land. Now we both can't cast spells. But I've avoided 2 impatience triggers and you've just avoided 1, so you'll die first. WW 6-0

6. dte: I thought we banned Dark Deal. OTP I get Scepter-Trophy online first, then I can destroy your threats and Amnesia to get my Overseer back. OTD you take my hand first. WL 3-3
    7. H: I think this deck needed Stream of Thought instead of the 2nd Bauble. If I Trophy your Mountain 3 times, eventually you run out of ways to bring it back. Then I cast Overseer for the edge in the race. WW 6-0

8. Reeplcheep: OTP I play Scepter+Trophy. You combo out and attack. I Trophy Vengevine, then Rootwalla, then 2nd Rootwalla taking 4+2+1=7 damage before playing Overseer to race.
    OTD you hit me for 4+6+2+1=13 before I stabilize on turn 4. I cast Turn 5 Overseer, then grow to 2/2 while casting Trophy on your land to dodge damage. By the end of my turn 6, I've taken 0 Impatience damage while you've taken 10. Then the 2/2 Overseer + Impatience kills you faster than Impatience kills me. WW 6-0

9. Tylert: I play T1 Overseer and hold back Scepter. If you don't play Energy Field, Overseer races. If you play Energy Field, then I play Scepter next turn. If you FoN it, that breaks Energy Field and Overseer wins. If you don't counter, Scepter-Trophy breaks the Field anyway. WW 6-0
    10. alphastryk: I can Trophy on turn 2, but you can't Mage will turn 3, so I can blow up your lands first and win. WW 6-0
    11. maxx!: Ah, the mirror. OTP I get Scepter first, so I can blow up yours before activation and safely get there with Overseer. OTD you get Scepter first, so you can imprint Rakdos Charm and kill my stuff. WL 3-3
    12. Serguei: Same as Tylert. Overseer forces you to play out Energy Field, then Scepter draws out FoN to break the Field, and Overseer wins. WW 6-0
    13. silkster: OTP I play Scepter-Trophy first. You can Drill Bit my creature, but that gives me 2 targets to Trophy, so Impatience kills you. OTD you Drill Bit my Scepter. I play Overseer, but you Pyrokinesis it and the little goblin wins. WL 3-3

60 points (20 wins, 4 losses)

Edit: Energy Field + FoN isn't as good as I thought it was
    Ok maybe Trophy should be banned. It just won the last 3 rounds.
    Last edited by FTW; 02-24-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serguei View Post
    I have not the time to do the full analysys of my matches yet but I do not see the point
    In any cases I wil play an energy field and do nothing from this point> It will prevent the damage and you will die alone by taking 2 each turn
    Yeah, my bad somehow convinced myself you had to counter when i tried to algae your newly acquired swamp. will update MU.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    alphastryk exerts for one round to create a Treasure
    Which he can then sac for a mana of any... yeah let's not go there.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    How do you race 8 goblins? I had to kill 2 per turn and barely made it.

W - Valley [W=18]
    G - 8 goblins

W - Scrub. Nezumi. [W=19]
    G - Attack for 8 [W=11, G=18]

W - Whitemane, returning Nezumi for permanent blocker? [W=12]
    G - Attack, 1 dies, 7 gets through [W=5, G=16]

W - Nezumi [W=6]
    G - Attack, Nezumi trades, 5 get through [W=1, G=14]

W - Impatience kills you anyway

Turning into Stabwhiskers doesn't give you enough damage to race either.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's scores for round 6:

That's me. Can't believe I'm the only one playing Zenith. It's such an obvious choice.
    You can't stop me from eating your team with Zenith. 6-0
    The row of gobbos are too fast for my engine style deck. 0-6
    Scepter is fast enough. I considered going for faster lands, but I chose the option to deal two a turn with Zenith over speed. Might have been wrong though. 0-6
    You have to Algae my Mountain, but before that happens, I've already Zenithed for zero on your head, saving myself 2 damage, so I always win the race.
    This deck was a good idea, but fails to the classic 4CB problem "what if they don't do anything?" 6-0
    Induced Anmesia should be on the banned list. I didn't know about this card. But good choice playing it.
    OTP I can go Mountain>Zenith for naught, but I'm guessing your clock is fast enough to circumvent dying to Impatience damage. 0-6
    I can blow up your land to stop the Bauble loop, if you let me. I do 2 damage per turn, you do 3 damage once or lose the loop. I don't see how you save this. 6-0
    Math below. I'm in time to kill Vengevine and then Zenith your Wallas one at a time. OTD I stabilize at 1 life. Afterward Zenith loop your head for the win. 6-0
    I start with Mountain, Zenith for 0. You can counter, but I'll then have Trophy for your remaining Energy Field and I'll have cast spells on two of my turns and you on just one, so I would win. So you have to let it resolve. You play Skerry and go to 18. Turn 2 I play Zenith for 0 again. Resolves again. Then I play Farm and bounce Mountain. You untap and drop Field. I play Mountain and cast Trophy on your land. If you counter it, you lose Field and die. If you let it resolve, you lose Field and your mana source and still lose as I'm higher in life. 6-0
    If you Mage my Trophy, I'll Zenith it. If you Mage my Zenith, I'll Trophy it. OTD, your second Garden would allow you to start Sprouting, but it enters tapped, so you can't cast it just yet, but that opens a window for me to start Zenithing the tokens. Now you can't convoke enough to buy the Swarm back. So I think I win both OTP and OTD. 6-0
    Whatever you put on the Scepter, I'll Trophy the Scepter as soon as I can, and Zenith loop will finish the job. 6-0
    I start with Mountain, Zenith for 0. You can counter, but I'll then have Trophy for your remaining Energy Field and I'll have cast spells on two of my turns and you on just one, so I would win. So you have to let it resolve. You play Skerry and go to 18. Turn 2 I play Zenith for 0 again. Resolves again. Then I play Farm and bounce Mountain. You untap and drop Field. I play Mountain and cast Trophy on your land. If you counter it, you lose Field and die. If you let it resolve, you lose Field and your mana source and still lose as I'm higher in life. 6-0
    Drill Bit plus CoF is a nice combo. OTD you can take Zenith and win. OTP I keep Zenithing for 0 (so it lives in my deck on your turns) until I can Zenith your token. Then I'll Zenith you until you die. 3-3

Total: 51 points. Not bad.

Against Reeplcheep:
    R: Make the team, attack with V, A=16
    A: Mountain, Zenith for 0
    R: Attack, A=10, R=18
    A: Zenith for 0, play Farm, bounce Mountain
    R: Attack, A=4, R=16
    A: Untap Farm, Trophy Vengevine, play Mountain
    R: Attack, A=2, R=14
    A: Zenith a Walla
    R: Attack, A=1, R=12
    A: Zenith second Walla. Keep Zenithing your head from here on, and win.
    That was close.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Even simpler, Assassin's Trophy being an instant pays off. If you cast on opponent's turn, it cannot be Forced. Trophy the Skerry on upkeep, it can't be countered, it kills Energy Field too, and there's no mana to cast the 2nd Field.

Feb 2014

6. dte: I thought we banned Dark Deal. OTP I get Scepter-Trophy online first, then I can destroy your threats and Amnesia to get my Overseer back. OTD you take my hand first. WL 3-3
    Induced Anmesia should be on the banned list. I didn't know about this card. But good choice playing it.
    I thought Dark Deal was banned because of dark ritual. There are quite a few cards that do more or less the same that are not banned and that we do know about (e.g. Wistful thinking).

Maybe we could add the rule: "if a spell or ability an opponent control would force you to lose (discard/exile) more than one card from your hand, you can ignore it."?

How do you race 8 goblins? I had to kill 2 per turn and barely made it.

W - Valley [W=18]
    G - 8 goblins

W - Scrub. Nezumi. [W=19]
    G - Attack for 8 [W=11, G=18]

W - Whitemane, returning Nezumi for permanent blocker? [W=12]
    G - Attack, 1 dies, 7 gets through [W=5, G=16]

W - Nezumi [W=6]
    G - Attack, Nezumi trades, 5 get through [W=1, G=14]

W - Impatience kills you anyway

Turning into Stabwhiskers doesn't give you enough damage to race either.
    Silly me thought that there was a Mountain instead of Lotus Petal.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    I thought Dark Deal was banned because of dark ritual. There are quite a few cards that do more or less the same that are not banned and that we do know about (e.g. Wistful thinking).

Maybe we could add the rule: "if a spell or ability an opponent control would force you to lose (discard/exile) more than one card from your hand, you can ignore it."?
    I don't know. Some discard can help balance the meta against comboish decks.
    I thought we had banned Whistful, but I guess I'm wrong.
    It's cool. We'll see whether many of us feel like three mana discard your hand cards need to go.

Even simpler, Assassin's Trophy being an instant pays off. If you cast on opponent's turn, it cannot be Forced. Trophy the Skerry on upkeep, it can't be countered, it kills Energy Field too, and there's no mana to cast the 2nd Field.
    Oh yeah that's another line that might win. I was so focused on casting my stuff on my turn that I overlooked using instants as instants.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

7. H: I think this deck needed Stream of Thought instead of the 2nd Bauble. If I Trophy your Mountain 3 times, eventually you run out of ways to bring it back. Then I cast Overseer for the edge in the race. WW 6-0
    Yeah, I "out-thought" myself, as I originally had a Taiga and a Serene Remembrance, but then changed it just before submitting thinking that two Baubles would just be better. It pretty obviously isn't, since the loop doesn't really even work like that. There's a good reason I rarely play looping decks, since I am pretty bad at thinking them through.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Feb 2014

I thought we had banned Whistful, but I guess I'm wrong.
    Yeah, the banlist is a bit long :p

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Yeah, the banlist is a bit long :p
    I actually thought we banned Trophy, haha.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Me: silkster: Swamp, Pyrokinesis, Drill Bit, Chancellor of the Forge

On the play, I take Zenith. We'll both cast 1 spell, but I get 3 hits in with the Goblin to put me half a turn ahead.
    On the draw, you Zenith every single turn to hide it.
    WL, 3 points

I Drill the Lion, Pyro the Shortfang if you play it, and the goblin cancels the Valley, but since I played one more spell, I think I die more slowly. WW, 6 points

Goblins smash, on the play. I appreciate staying true to form. WL, 3 points

Drill Scepter and Pyro Overseer on the play. WL, 3 points

I love the moments my brain spends trying to figure out what this is doing. On the play, I Drill the Algae and win easily. On the draw, you lead on Tabernacle and I can't Drill, then you get to cast a few spells to die more slowly. I've always thought that Chancellor of the Force should say "at the beginning of your first upkeep". :( WL, 3 points

The first card I have to look up! Discard match is WL. 3 points

Ha, I lose to this, even without the bolt. LL, 0 points

On my play, I drill a Rootwalla, which forces you to cast it, which is awkward for you. Then our 1/1s trade and our cards in hand trade, but Impatience starts killing you first.
    On your play, you can run it all out. You attack with Vengevine to force the issue, so I kill it. But your hold your 1/1s on defence so that I can't cast Drill Bit and Impatience kills me first.
    WL, 3 points

Ouch. I have the wrong tools for this. LL, 0 points

I have time to Drill the Meddling Mage and Pyro the Sprout. WW, 6 points

Expecting a lot of Scepter mirrors? Drilling the Scepter is WL. 3 points

Oh man, I'm actually kinda close to beating this, but I need to Drill after you play a Field, but Field stops spectacle. LL, 0 points

11W, 13L for 33 points. It looks like Duress would have been -9 (against Whitemane Lion and Rootwalla) and +15 (against Energy Fields and Spreading Algae). I was too cute.

I had 2 other ideas this week. I almost played blue discard, which would have been almost identical to dte's deck. I also thought that Trinisphere would be really popular this round, and I almost ran a deck with a bunch of extra mana, kinda like Asthereal and alphastryk did. I wonder if they were specifically playing around Trinisphere.

The other deck I wanted to play was Taiga, Taiga, Crack the Earth, Serene Remembrance, which would have gotten 48 points, losing only to Overseer+Scepter+Trophy, Induced Amnesia, Vengevine, and Khalni Garden, modulo mistakes. But this deck just felt so underpowered. Oops.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I actually thought we banned Trophy, haha.
    I wanted to, but there were a few people against it. So I played it to show how good it is.

Thread Information