Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [Article] Unlocking Legacy: Scepter-Chant

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Re: [Article] Unlocking Legacy: Scepter-Chant

Who cares about whether it's good or bad in extended. This is a legacy forum.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by TheAardvark View Post
    Vial was banned a month before the PTQ season started, so "Vial Goblins" didn't exist anymore. And 'Tog players were able to start beating Affinity more often by Overgrown Tomb allowing them to easily splash green for Pernicious Deed. Oh, and I saw 'Tog outrace Affinity a few times due to dredging like crazy.

Just saying.
    I was talking about the 2005 PTQ when Vial Goblins just came to the scene and Red Deck Wins looked bad.

@zulander: Most decks were influenced by history within the Legacy metagame. Threshold was influenced by Turbo Xerox and Super Gro, Affinity and Vial Goblins were influenced by Affinity and Vial Goblins, and many other decks have just been influenced by the design of other decks. I know in Type 1, Keeper had a heavy influence on the way Control Slaver played.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Cardboard Messiah
    Jan 2006
    East Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Anti~American4621
    @zulander: Most decks were influenced by history within the Legacy metagame. Threshold was influenced by Turbo Xerox and Super Gro, Affinity and Vial Goblins were influenced by Affinity and Vial Goblins, and many other decks have just been influenced by the design of other decks. I know in Type 1, Keeper had a heavy influence on the way Control Slaver played.
    I've been ripping off existing archetypes since 1999. Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.
    Sexy

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    By the way, for all of you that absolutely hate me, I don't mind you e-mailing Pete or anyone at SCG to complain. I would also request you e-mail me (works better than PM) at kbinswanger@gmail.com or AIM: Anusien with specific complaints or suggestions. I've talked on AIM to a few people here, and I think it's helped focus me. I think we will find this is more constructive than randomly bashing me on the forums. After all, I want to write articles that everyone likes.
    What you call "hatred" is really just criticism. People criticize your articles because they rarely make any sense and this one is no exception.

When people point out to you Krosan Grip is devastating against your deck you either seem mystified that people play Krosan Grip or pretend that it isn't really bad for you. It defies belief that you either are not aware that people play this card in Legacy or how damaging it can be to lose a Scepter and another card to a Krosan Grip.

There are numerous parts of your article that don't really make sense but here are a few that jump out at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    The decks that are successful now owe their strengths in large part to their explosiveness. Look at the ridiculous things Goblins or TES can do based on the opening hand, and then compare that to what Landstill can do. The deck's best plays merely involve playing Standstill on turn 2. That play may win you the game, but it's not dominating in the same way as Aether Vial. In discussions, I called this the Just Win factor; the more you can do to make your deck just able to rip a perfect seven and blow through your opponent, the better.
    You say that winning now is very important, but yet you suggest a deck that has as one of its path to victory to Scepter-Chant lock your opponent and force a concession. If this concession doesn't come or even worse, that you've lost game 1 and you can't actually finish game 2 because you don't win now. Goblins and TES can actually win the game very quickly. They don't require their opponents to cooperate with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Ill-Gotten Gains combo and TES you can treat somewhat similarly; they just differ on how much they rely on Tendrils versus Empty the Warrens. The one thing I would note is how much worse Orim's Chant is against IGGy than against TES. If you have a Chant in hand against Iggy you probably want to cast it in response to a mana source rather than an Ill-Gotten Gains. If you cast Chant in response to Ill-Gotten Gains, it's very easy for them to take a few points of mana burn and win on the next turn. The only exception would be if you have Meddling Mage or can set up Isochron Scepter recursion.
    Have you ever actually played against Iggy Pop? You say that casting Chant in response to Ill-Gotten Gains would be incorrect because your opponent could go off the next turn after taking mana burn. What you fail to realize is that next turn when your Ill-Gotten Gains opponent tries to go off again with Ill-Gotten Gains that you can just return the Chant you casted last turn and Chant them again preventing them from winning. They would need to have a Leyline of the Void in play to prevent you from recurring the Chant. If this were the case you probably lose if you don't have Force of Will as you will get Mind-twisted and lose in the next turn or so.

My suggestion is that you really spend some time to learn more about Legacy. You can't just give us an Extended deck with Force of Will and dual lands and expect it to work out in Legacy. There are many people who have built successful decks in Legacy and that is because they spent the time to learn and understand this format. To write intelligently about Legacy requires playing Legacy in tournaments and with real people who can offer real advice on whether a deck is competitive or not. Without that experience of actually playing Legacy you won't be able to tell the good from the bad. Until then get someone else to write the column who has a better grasp of Legacy.

YES WE CAN
    Sep 2005
    GMU

Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    I'm tired of reading bad articles by Anusien, I'm writing StarCityGames asking them to stop printing his stuff.

outpost1@starcitygames.com
    I think Allen said it first and said it best. Brevity can be a virtue.
    TEAM DRAGONFORCIA-
    Ghost ridin' the whip like we invented that shit.
    TEAM UNICORN
    We're going for number four!

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    I've been ripping off existing archetypes since 1999. Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.
    This is coming from the guy who built the original Rifter. Respect that man.

Most lists I based my skeletons off of are from like 2005 Extended. This shouldnt be so bad.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

May 2007
    R.I.T

Does it count any that Anusien said, at worst case, he can just FoW the Grip in one of his SCG posts?

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Wait, why can't you FoW Grip? Is it because it has split second? Oh well, no one plays that card anyways.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal-kun View Post
    Does it count any that Anusien said, at worst case, he can just FoW the Grip in one of his SCG posts?
    I feel the need to clarify because I was worried this was going to be misunderstood. At worst case, Grip on Scepter is the same card advantage effect as casting Force of Will and pitching a card. In other words, painful but recoverable.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Winter is coming...
    Dec 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    I feel the need to clarify because I was worried this was going to be misunderstood. At worst case, Grip on Scepter is the same card advantage effect as casting Force of Will and pitching a card. In other words, painful but recoverable.
    This may seem a little nitpicky, but while the card advantage may be the same, FoW is not a win condition. FoW does not cost mana. FoW is a tempo BOOST. Otherwise, I get your point.
    I've never seen him so upset....or ever before.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

FoW also usually trades with [inser the opponent's most relevant and powerful spell here], versus trading with spot removal.

Although technically I guess 3 mana for 2 is a tempo boost also?
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Thread Information