Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: [Premium Article] Six Cards to Unban in Legacy (VOTE!)

Re: [Premium Article] Six Cards to Unban in Legacy (VOTE!)

Quote Originally Posted by Smmenen View Post
    do people agree that this is a reason to ban a card? There are many other cards that are difficult to read/understand, especially without oracle (Chains of Mephistopheles comes to mind), but they aren't banned, nor imo should they be.
    I am 100% in favor of banning Chains of Mephistopheles for exactly that reason. Cards shouldn't be so complex that they require the mental agility equivalent of Chaos Orb skills to be playable. Having effects going on that the majority of players don't/have difficulty understanding is bad for the game.

Chromatic Sphere was replaced with Chromatic Star simply due to the sheer counterintuitiveness of being able to use Sphere to get the blue mana to play Thoughtcast AND simultaneously get the Affinity bonus from it.

I'm not arguing against complex card interactions, I'm arguing against overly complex hard to understand exceptionally re-errated card interactions. Chains, Mask, and Vault all fall into this category. Humility is very close. And I like Humility, but if it has six pages of oracle text, errata, clarifications, and corner case rulings, the game could probably do without it.

Chromatic Sphere could also make you draw a card after breaking LED.

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

Chromatic Sphere was replaced with Chromatic Star simply due to the sheer counterintuitiveness of being able to use Sphere to get the blue mana to play Thoughtcast AND simultaneously get the Affinity bonus from it.
    You can do that with Sphere or Star. Costs are locked in when you announce the spell; you may use mana abilities afterward.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong corner case then, but I remember there was one Affinity trick you could do with Sphere but not with Star that was just.. weird. I thought it was the Thoughtcast one because of the separated clauses, but I'm willing to admit I might be wrong. Which just goes to prove my point: Overly complex and rules-lawyery cards are bad. The most extreme examples of the breed - cards such as Chains/Vault/Mask - should be banned for incomprehensibility.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong corner case then, but I remember there was one Affinity trick you could do with Sphere but not with Star that was just.. weird. I thought it was the Thoughtcast one because of the separated clauses, but I'm willing to admit I might be wrong. Which just goes to prove my point: Overly complex and rules-lawyery cards are bad. The most extreme examples of the breed - cards such as Chains/Vault/Mask - should be banned for incomprehensibility.
    But they aren't incomprehensible. Time Vault is very simple. Chains and Mask aren't incomprehensible, they just have long text.

Why should magic be dumbed down?

I believe with the Sphere you draw the "resolution" of the mana ability, while the Star has a triggered ability that goes on the stack on top of the spell cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    Couldn't WoTC get around the draw interaction by adding something to the rules that says 'all infinite loops end at a finite number'? That would prevent the draws I think. Your opponent isn't actually looping it 100,000 times. He says that he does that way he doesn't actually have to cycle through the whole thing again. If a player can do something like that, then why can't a rule also say that he must stop cycling at some point, ie. at a finite number. Just make a player pick a number and he does the loop that many times.
    When Dragon draws the game it creates on honest to goodness infinite loop, not an arbitrarily repeatable loop. Deciding to stop the loop after some arbitrary number of iterations doesn't work within the rules of the game.

But they aren't incomprehensible. Time Vault is very simple. Chains and Mask aren't incomprehensible, they just have long text.

Time Vault's current errata is very simple right now. That hasn't always been the case, and if history is any guide, won't always be the case. The problem with cards like Chains and Mask and to a lesser extent, Humility is that you need a detailed intimate knowledge of the rules to understand how they work. And I'm talking beyond the knowledge needed for say a level one judge. (SBE Layering order? Seriously? Ugh.)

I don't want the game dumbed down, but I do want it to not be made overly complex. I also want the cards to work either as they're written, or at least pretty close to it. You shouldn't need a copy of Oracle on hand to play a tournament. You can do a lot of very complex things that reward knowledge of the rules in the game without getting silly about it with cards that judges and TO's regularly refer to as rules nightmares.

If a card only works after repeated errata, addendums, and can only be fully understood after undertaking extensive research into the comp rules, then its probably a bad card design that should be thrown out.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    My point is not to start discussing Oath here and now, more to say that cards need to be thoroughly tested and that blanket, knee-jerk refusal to discuss them is not beneficial to anyone.
    Exhibit A (Nice helpings of hyperbole thrown in to up the knee-jerk ante. Emphasis added.):

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddian View Post
    @ Above: I can't believe Oath of Druids has to be discussed. I've played against it in Vintage, and used to play against it all the time before the split. Especially with Forbidden Orchard, it would rape the modern game.

You talk about Goblin Charbelcher's consistency, but obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. Oath is a 1 to 2 card combo (and 2 only if your opponent runs ZERO creatures). It also requires very minimal room in the deck, at most 8 or 10 slots. Ok, Survival of the Fittest is played. One of their combos is discarding a creature and paying GG to turn it first into Iona, then into Imperial Recruiter, then paying 2W to play it (so 2GGW+a creature) to get Iona. Iona isn't even good enough to see play in Oath, who can get it out for free.

You could have picked a better example, maybe... I dunno Goblin Recruiter. Something most people don't want to see unbanned who only have vague recollections of it being far too strong from a metagame 6+ years ago (where Tarmogoyf would have been unbelievable). But Oath is just ridiculous to discuss.

How about we unban Black Lotus, you guys? It's only like Dark Ritual!
    Exhibit B:

Quote Originally Posted by Meister_Kai View Post
    @MMOG:

Could you image turn 2 15/15 Eldrazi guy? The annihilator 6 guy? The pro colored spells guy? That would just be too stupid. Comparing the deck to an already degenerate deck (Belcher) doesn't really help your case.

Nobody likes combo (except combo players). We tolerate combo. I cannot tolerate there being 2-3 more combo decks in the format than there already are.
    Exhibit C:

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowni View Post
    Mmmmh....?

Oath preys on creature strategies, some people say its a two card combo, but its a one card combo against creature strategies that happens to pretty much win the game. And creatures strategies are the best for the game in the long run because we get to play new cards instead of just comboing with the same three strategies forever.

That's why Oath is not discussed, it just warps the format too much.

Thanks guy for proving exactly what I was trying to say. Seems all of you misread:

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    My point is not to start discussing Oath here and now, more to say that cards need to be thoroughly tested and that blanket, knee-jerk refusal to discuss them is not beneficial to anyone.
    but I'm nevertheless glad you proved my point exactly. None of you sat down, built a Legacy Oath deck and tested it thoroughly against other decks in the format, and instead you're using your imagination to conjure up some reasons that are not based on playtesting.

@ Forbiddian, I actually didn't talk about Charbelcher's consistency, I said it was fragile. I think I would rather come across as someone who knows nothing than someone who thinks they know everything.

@ Everyone, I still think that if Forsythe and the DCI want to start considering unbanning cards that appear to be powerful, they need to thoroughly test them, and not base their decisions on statements that begin, "imagine . . . "
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

For the same reason that they changed the rules in M10. To take a game of intellect and skill and mass market it to retards. Don't you want Johnny Casual playing Legacy with you? Complex rules might make his head hurt.

For the record, I built a Mana Drain deck. If anyone wants to playtest against the rough draft, email me at spikeymikey1981@hotmail.com. That way, my Blackberry will flash a little red light at me telling me that I have a message, which is significantly better than a PM here that I won't see for a few days or any sort of messenger which would require me to log on. I'm sure it's not the most busted use of Drain, but it seems to work out ok in testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTroll View Post
    Have you ever played against Dragon? I used to. First of all, we don't have Bazaar. That means the deck needs a few turns to set up. Second, it doesn't like graveyard hate, creature removal, or enchantment removal.
    I played against Dragon. It was the strongest deck in the format when Bazaar was also legal, but I think without Bazaar it's pretty managable.

Not any worse than Reanimator at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I seriously think Land Tax should get considerations. MTG Salvation is running a Legacy tournament with Land Tax and I have not heard any complains about Land Tax, whether its format warping or time consuming.
    1) The tournament is not timed, so it doesn't matter. Also, there's an auto-shuffle on MWS that takes like <1s.

2) If they unrestricted Necropotence on MTGSalvation, at least a third of the people would go, "Lol, why would I pay life just to draw cards? That's exactly what the burn player wants." These aren't the best players in the world and I doubt any good designers are bothering to make a Land Tax deck.

If Land Tax could be broken, there's no way that a few random people on MTGSalv would be able to break it.

3) Also, since the tournament is still ongoing, very few people are actually talking about the matches. Certainly they wouldn't complain about a specific card like Land Tax.

EDIT: At why Mana Drain is banned:

Mana Drain was banned because it was the strongest non-restricted card in Vintage. Original Legacy was more akin to Odyssey-era Extended. The fundamental turn was 3-4 and skipping over three turns AND getting countermagic is just nuts.

I'm pretty sure it would still be broken unbanned now.

The fact that current decks aren't constructed in such a way to abuse it (cards like The Abyss, Fact or Fiction, and Intuition --> AK combo aren't too far out of playable (and Counterspell isn't too far out of playable either), but aren't played at all, yet combo with Mana Drain in profoundly warped ways). I mean, true: No current deck, -4 random cards, +4 Mana Drain would be broken, but it's not hard to see that players would change their decks to take advantage of Mana Drain.

Playing against Mana Drain was very risky, because any time your opponent had UU, you risked losing the game if he was able to counter one of your spells. Even a spell costing 1 or 2 getting Drained would allow him the oxygen to blow past your deck. Although it's true back then the power level (relative to modern times) lay pretty far toward the Control Player side, but the fact that vanilla Counterspell still sees occasional play makes me think that Mana Drain would be broken.

I can attest to that.

Mana Drain is utterly ridiculous, and actually dominates Vintage. I'm not sure why you'd want a card that dominates Vintage to be legal in Legacy. Mana Drain decks are usually well over 30% of top 8s.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamuth View Post
    While I don't agree that Reanimator is one of the best decks in Legacy right now, I don't see how Dragon could be better at all. If I'm correct, Dragon is a 3-card combo? That's absolutely terrible.
    Draw the game on a stick = not fun. Same reason why Shaharazad is banned. Not power level reasons, fun reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    Couldn't WoTC get around the draw interaction by adding something to the rules that says 'all infinite loops end at a finite number'? That would prevent the draws I think. Your opponent isn't actually looping it 100,000 times. He says that he does that way he doesn't actually have to cycle through the whole thing again. If a player can do something like that, then why can't a rule also say that he must stop cycling at some point, ie. at a finite number. Just make a player pick a number and he does the loop that many times.
    Not allowable. You can't just skip ETB triggers/LTB triggers willy nilly. They need to go on the stack and they need a target. If there is another creature in a graveyard, then sure, he can make 1000000 mana by repeating the loop so many times and finally end by Animating your creature but if there's no other target the game is a draw.

I am 100% in favor of banning Chains of Mephistopheles for exactly that reason. Cards shouldn't be so complex that they require the mental agility equivalent of Chaos Orb skills to be playable. Having effects going on that the majority of players don't/have difficulty understanding is bad for the game.

I'm not arguing against complex card interactions, I'm arguing against overly complex hard to understand exceptionally re-errated card interactions. Chains, Mask, and Vault all fall into this category. Humility is very close. And I like Humility, but if it has six pages of oracle text, errata, clarifications, and corner case rulings, the game could probably do without it.
    The Oracle is there to make things less confusing. I'm sure if Illusionary Mask was banned they would clean up the errata to make it as intuitive as possible. There's not much they can do about Humility, the problem with the card's complexity is embedded in the game rules. Chains is very simple to understand if you read the Oracle.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowni View Post
    Chromatic Sphere could also make you draw a card after breaking LED.
    So can the Star. What's your point?

I also want the cards to work either as they're written, or at least pretty close to it. You shouldn't need a copy of Oracle on hand to play a tournament.
    So someone shouldn't need an explanation when someone drops a Waterfront Bouncer next to Lord of Atlantis and swings for 4? There are more cards than you or I could name that have some sort of non-trivial errata, which Oracle is essential to clarify.

The issue with Chromatic Sphere, and the reason why they replaced it with Star, is that it makes you draw a card as part of a mana ability, which is all sorts of "wut." Look at the card: the draw is part of the same block of text as the mana ability.

Mana Drain would be about the only card capable of making control a real deck again. Of course, it would destroy the format, but you would actually be able to justify playing a control deck over an aggro-control deck at that point.

If I had my way these are the cards I would unban:

Black Vise
    Earthcraft
    Frantic Search
    Goblin Recruiter
    Grim Monolith
    Gush
    Hermit Druid
    Illusionary Mask
    Imperial Seal
    Land Tax
    Library of Alexandria
    Mana Drain
    Mind Twist
    Necropotence
    Oath of Druids
    Skullclamp
    Time Spiral
    Windfall
    Worldgorger Dragon

I consider myself pretty radical when it comes to accepting suggestions for the banned list changes, but I've already been categorized and judged twice just by addressing what people say in their post. Leave your preconceptions behind people! Let's work to improve the format instead of being closed!

@jrsthethird: You're right, that was not the difference I meant. Actually I wanted to say "you draw the card before you get the mana fixed by the sphere", neither cares about LED breaking but about when the filtered mana can be used.

You shouldn't need a copy of Oracle on hand to play a tournament.

Actually, you absolutely should. Every judge is supposed to be able to give you oracle text on any card upon request. With rules changes, templating changes, and all kinds of mechanics, having oracle on hand is a necessity.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison103 View Post
    If I had my way these are the cards I would unban:

Black Vise
    Earthcraft
    Frantic Search
    Goblin Recruiter
    Grim Monolith
    Gush
    Hermit Druid
    Illusionary Mask
    Imperial Seal
    Land Tax
    Library of Alexandria
    Mana Drain
    Mind Twist
    Necropotence
    Oath of Druids
    Skullclamp
    Time Spiral
    Windfall
    Worldgorger Dragon
    Dear sweet Jesus that format would be funny. Not much fun after the first few games, but funny.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Is Black Vise really that bad? And what kind of deck abuses Hermit Druid? I know it can tutor practically your whole deck into the yard but what do you do with it then?

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Is Black Vise really that bad? And what kind of deck abuses Hermit Druid? I know it can tutor practically your whole deck into the yard but what do you do with it then?
    Reanimate one of two things and swing for the win:

- Sutured Ghoul with Dragon's Breath on it
    - Flame-kin Zealot and probably 8+ Zombie tokens

Thread Information