Page 74 of 107 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 2129

Thread: [Deck] UBGx Landstill

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Re: [Deck] UBGx Landstill

But winning out of nowhere takes away the fun of grinding out your opponents with Manlands. Nothing is more satisfying than a game of Magic where you throw away half the fun, and claim the other half for yourself and leave your opponent with zero fun.

-Matt

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    But winning out of nowhere takes away the fun of grinding out your opponents with Manlands. Nothing is more satisfying than a game of Magic where you throw away half the fun, and claim the other half for yourself and leave your opponent with zero fun.

-Matt
    And development claims fun is not zero-sum

Clearly they don't understand the eternal demographic.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Also, if I were to load up on Intuitions, I'd probably play something tuned to abuse that (It's the Fear), than a saturated version of Landstill. Our wincons work fine for me, if you're having issues playing three games in 50 minutes, there's always Tarmogoyf to help us with that.

-Matt
    I'll add that to my signature thank you very much :D
    It's also scientifically proven that resolving Nicol Bolas during a competitive legacy event causes the caster's penis to grow a good two or three inches.

Jun 2011
    Russia, SPb

I would suggest such list:

// Lands
    2 [ALA] Island (2)
    4 [TE] Wasteland
    1 [ALA] Swamp (1)
    3 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    4 [ON] Polluted Delta
    3 [B] Tropical Island
    4 [B] Underground Sea
    1 [U] Bayou
    1 [CS] Dark Depths
    1 [GTC] Thespian's Stage

// Spells
    4 [MM] Brainstorm
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    3 [DLM] Counterspell
    4 [AP] Pernicious Deed
    4 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    3 [OD] Innocent Blood
    2 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
    1 [RAV] Life from the Loam
    2 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    1 [RAV] Darkblast
    3 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
    1 [EVE] Raven's Crime
    3 [RTR] Abrupt Decay
    1 [TE] Intuition

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
    SB: 1 [EVE] Raven's Crime
    SB: 2 [6E] Perish
    SB: 2 [MOR] Vendilion Clique
    SB: 4 [CS] Counterbalance
    SB: 3 Deathrite Shaman
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction

It's a pity, the rules will apply only in July. I really want to run this list IRL.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

I would play more Intuition ;-)

------------------------------------------
    Today i played this list at our small weekly local torunament (14 players) , and went 3-1, win against Mono Blue S&T, Canadian and Canadian and a loss against Canadian.
    Note that this list is super inferior to the list i already posted here and was built in 3 minutes in the morning, but it's a lot of fun:

Creatures (8)

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Baleful Strix

Planeswalker (6)

4 JTMS
    2 Liliana of the Veil

Enchantments (8)

4 Pernicious Deed
    4 Standstill

Instants(14)

4 Force of Will
    2 Counterspell
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm

Lands (24)

4 Underground Sea
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    9 Fetchlands
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    4 Mishra's Factory

SB

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Flusterstorm
    2 Vendillion Clique
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    3 GY Hate

As already mentioned it was a lot of fun, but running creatures just makes this deck worse. You don't want to tap out for dudes, that die instantly most of the time. I'd rather play this list than any list with 4 Deathrite Shaman or 4 Baleful Strix because it's increasing the chances one creature will stick. So playing a playset of both is necessary if you want to play this deck with creatures (bad idea if you want to play at a large tournament. don't believe me?- play different lists against Esper, Jund, Shardless BUG, Miracles and you'll find out why.)

Edit: The game against S&T was a joke. Postboard this list can't lose against combo.
    TheRiedl on Magic Online

About Magic Online:

I can play legacy whenever I want. Cardboard has no value. Data has no value. My time and enjoyment has high value to me. More legacy = more fun. Buy in.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    When Obilivion Ring is said to be an equivalent counterpiece to Red Elemental Blast in regards to Show and Tell and Jace, you know all is lost.

I'm seeing way too many BUG Landstill lists without Standstill. That card is great, I don't care what anyone says. I've wrecked RUG, Stoneblade, and other decks that people say it's bad against with it. I only really hate it against Turbo Eldrazi but that matchup is almost unwinnable anyway. Here's my list. It's geared more towards Planeswalkers. I give you BUG Planeswalkers:

3 Jace TMS
    1 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Vraska
    1 Garruk Relentless

2 Tombstalker

4 Pernicious Deed
    4 Standstill

4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Spell Pierce
    1 Counterspell

3 Innocent Blood
    2 Maelstrom Pulse

3 Underground Sea
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    3 Mishra's Factory
    3 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Scalding Tarn

The Sideboard is a work in progress. I originally made an anti-Turbo Eldrazi sideboard since I always face that at my LGS. It also happened to destroy combo, which my maindeck isn't so awesome at. It's a bit ridiculous but here it is.

3 Duress
    3 Disrupt
    3 Wasteland
    3 Sadistic Sacrament
    3 Extirpate

In my testing this sideboard configuration crushed Twelvepost, combo, and control, but I feel it's too narrow. Plus there aren't enough answers to tribal decks and other pure aggro which shows up in my meta as well alongside Stoneblade. So perhaps this is better.

3 Duress
    3 Sadistic Sacrament
    3 Extirpate
    2 Engineered Plague
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Disrupt
    1 Jace Beleren

I build this deck saturday night and played it sunday morning at SCG Columbus (http://www.eternalcentral.com/?p=3603). I started off 0-2 and then won 5 in a row and lost the last 2 finishing 5-4. I think I did pretty good considering I never played the deck before. I wanted to play BUG still because I was expecting a lot of show and tell and storm. I was right, they format was over 50% of one or the other, but i didn't play either all night.

A few things I noticed.
    -I have no idea what to sideboard against what matches. I was prepared for combo so when I played all fair decks (minus 2 dredge) I wasn't sure what went in and went out.
    -I do not see the point of snapcaster. Only time I have ever used him was to flash back brainstorm, chump block, and mostly to pitch to FoW.
    -I SB Life from the Loam in every game, but never drew it.
    -Lingering Souls is a very hard card to combat in esper. If I didn't land a deed I couldn't stop it.

Any suggestions on what to swap snapcaster out for? Or what to change to make him have some use main decked? I just think having a card MD because he works good with your SB is pretty bad.

Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Quote Originally Posted by CRich3 View Post
    I build this deck saturday night and played it sunday morning at SCG Columbus (http://www.eternalcentral.com/?p=3603). I started off 0-2 and then won 5 in a row and lost the last 2 finishing 5-4. I think I did pretty good considering I never played the deck before. I wanted to play BUG still because I was expecting a lot of show and tell and storm. I was right, they format was over 50% of one or the other, but i didn't play either all night.

A few things I noticed.
    -I have no idea what to sideboard against what matches. I was prepared for combo so when I played all fair decks (minus 2 dredge) I wasn't sure what went in and went out.
    -I do not see the point of snapcaster. Only time I have ever used him was to flash back brainstorm, chump block, and mostly to pitch to FoW.
    -I SB Life from the Loam in every game, but never drew it.
    -Lingering Souls is a very hard card to combat in esper. If I didn't land a deed I couldn't stop it.

Any suggestions on what to swap snapcaster out for? Or what to change to make him have some use main decked? I just think having a card MD because he works good with your SB is pretty bad.
    Perhaps Snappy isn't as splashy as he could be in the more creature-heavy deck with Strix, but whenever I draw him late-game he means inf value. Early on I tend to pitch him to FoW or shuffle him back with Brainstorm, but late-game there are few cards I'm as happy to see as Snapcaster.

A card that I've been very happy with lately that's not mentioned in the article is Disfigure. It has a large variety of targets and even though it overlaps with Abrupt Decay in most cases, being able to hit Stoneforge, Deathrite, Mom, Bob, Delver, Lavamancer, every elf there is (almost), Clique etc. etc. for a single mana is powerful. It also opens up the opportunity to go Underground Sea -> Disfigure your one-drop -> Factory, Standstill which means that being Instant speed is highly relevant in the early game, when comparing it to Innocent Blood.

Jul 2010
    Madison, WI

Disfigure is my 1 mana removal of choice, and it has been since week 2 of playing this deck. I haven't regretted it once.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

You need to kill Confidant/SFM on Turn 2. I've used Disfigure as a 3-of and it's been great.

-Matt

Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

My removal suite now is 2 Disfigure, 3 Decays, 2 Deeds, 1 Damnation (next to 4 FoW, 2 Snare, 2 Counterspell, 4 Thoughtseize), and I've been very happy happy with it all in all. I've made zero changes in the past five weeks, which is a personal record I believe.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I agree that Disfigure is amazing, it has replaced 2 Innocent Bloods in my list.

I have brewed this which I plan on trying to stick with for a time:

Maindeck (61)

Instants

2 Disfigure
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Spell Pierce
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will

Sorceries

2 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Innocent Blood

Enchantments

4 Pernicious Deed
    4 Standstill

Creatures

2 Snapcaster Mage

Planeswalkers

4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Lands

4 Underground Sea
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Forest
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Mishra's Factory
    1 Creeping Tar Pit

Sideboard

1 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Vendillion Clique
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Surgical Extraction
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Life from the Loam

I was always a big opponent of creatures in Landstill, but I didn't see anything wrong with Snapcaster Mage last night when I played this, although it does make the opponent's StPs a little more live.

A little report from Tuesday night:

Round 1 vs Belcher – Win 2-1

Game 1 - he is on the play and kills me Turn 1. I mulled to 5 and didn't have a FoW.

Board - +1 Snapcaster Mage +2 Vendillion Clique +2 Flusterstorm +3 Thoughtseize +4 Surgical Extraction -4 Pernicious Deed -3 Abrupt Decay -2 Disfigure -2 Innocent Blood -1 Maelstrom Pulse

Game 2 – I am on the play, and I keep a hand with FoW and Clique, which I use to control his hand and board until I land a Jace to fateseal him out.

Board – nothing

Game 3 – I am on the draw, and keep a FoWLess hand after he decides to mull to 6. A risk, but the hand allowed me to go Turn 1 Thoughtseize Turn 2 Counterspell Turn 3 Clique Turn 4 Jace. He didn’t have the Turn 1 win and it’s a round win for me.

Round 2 vs UW StoneStill – Win 2-0

Game 1 – I am on the play and have the chance to ram a Turn 2 Standstill but have no idea what he’s playing. I subsequently find out it’s Stoneblade and am glad that I didn’t ram the Standstill, as I make good plays with Disfigure, Counterspell and Spell Pierce to make him burn his FoWs, then land a Standstill for good value. That leads to a Jace, and that’s all she wrote.

Board – nothing

Game 2 – I’m on the draw and he tries for a Turn 2 Standstill! So he’s playing StoneStill, not Stoneblade like he told me. I Spell Pierce it, and we eventually get to a stage where I’ve laid a Standstill and we are both drawing and discarding under it. I’m cool with it, because I now have more land on the table. He cracks it, and I eventually land a Jace which starts to fateseal. He sneaks a Batterskull through to make my life a misery and I lose the Jace, only to land another. Eventually I draw all four of my Mishra’s Factories and beat him to death while bouncing the germ token with Jace.

Round 3 vs Bant Brew – loss 0-2

Game 1 – I am slowly whittled away by what seems to be a neverending supply of creatures.

Board – nothing

Game 2 – Again, a neverending stream of creatures attacks me and a Green Sun Zenith sneaks in Pridemage to pop my Pernicious Deed preventing me from trading 3 for 1. I can’t recover.

Round 4 vs Merfolk – draw 1-1-1

Game 1 – he’s on the play and does what Merfolk does to decks that play Islands.

Board - -1 Spell Pierce +1 Life from the Loam

Game 2 – I’m on the play and Pierce his Turn 1 Vial. From there I utilise Deed, Disfigure on Mutavaults and Abrupt Decays on everything to protect a Jace and fateseal him out.

Board – nothing

Game 3 – He puts huge pressure on me and we are both deep into our decks with me on 5 life. He keeps laying Lords and islandwalking his Mutavault through onto my Jace, which switches to brainstorming to try and find an answer. I find Decay Pulse, and take control. but not before it dies.. Unfortunately, time is called, which means I don’t get a win I think I had locked up, with him drawing off the top and me shortly to slam another Jace and start to fateseal once again.

I need to learn to play faster with the deck, else I would have had the win in game 3 and gone 3-1.

Has anyone got any suggestions for improvements on this list? New sideboard cards, mainboard reconfigurations etc? I would love some feedback.

I'd definetely reconsider your SB plans. F. ex. keeping FoW in the Maindeck against Maverick/ Bant is bad. Thoughtseize is better than FoW in this matchup.
    TheRiedl on Magic Online

About Magic Online:

I can play legacy whenever I want. Cardboard has no value. Data has no value. My time and enjoyment has high value to me. More legacy = more fun. Buy in.

When Obilivion Ring is said to be an equivalent counterpiece to Red Elemental Blast in regards to Show and Tell and Jace, you know all is lost.

Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Another Magic Monday in the books, and I can't see myself playing another deck right now, it feels pretty awesome, it's interactive as all hell, and whenever I Jace someone out while dropping Standstill after Standstill, I get a warm and fuzzy feeling together with the paradoxical sense that I'm re-enacting that scene from Family Guy with the prisoner who stabs himself. "Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong here!", indeed.

All said and done, I played a few hands against 12-post today and it felt like a rough matchup where the only spells I played that were relevant were Thoughtseize and counter magic, and even then, my opponent had games where he just went Post-Post-Post-Post-Eye of Ugin-gg? and I had no way to interact with him at all. I'm looking at adding Wasteland back to the MD, not for that match solely or for Jund for that matter, but mainly blowing up utility lands such as Cavern of Souls.

What I had in mind:
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Wasteland
    8 fetch
    4 Underground Sea
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Island

For a total of 24 lands, though I'm looking at going up to 25 to add a Swamp. Might cut the MD Clique for it and move it to the sideboard, we'll see.

I also want some tips on side boarding in general. I'm going to a tournament on the 6th and I don't know what to bring. So far I've been playing:

1 Clique
    2 Tombstalker
    1 Thrun
    1 Flusterstorm
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Perish
    1 K-Grip

Assume an unknown meta where you both get the tier 1 decks but if I pick up an early loss, I might be paired against a fringe deck like 12-post or NicFit or (shudders) Burn. How would you guys build the board?

Quote Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
    ...I played a few hands against 12-post today and it felt like a rough matchup
    Agreed! 12-post is brutal. One way to sideboard for this matchup is an intuition package of:
    -Intuition (obvi)
    -x Life from the Loam
    -x Wasteland
    -x Raven's Crime

12-post loses when you attack their mana base and hand at the same time.

I also want some tips on side boarding in general. I'm going to a tournament on the 6th and I don't know what to bring. So far I've been playing:

1 Clique
    2 Tombstalker
    1 Thrun
    1 Flusterstorm
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Perish
    1 K-Grip

Assume an unknown meta where you both get the tier 1 decks but if I pick up an early loss, I might be paired against a fringe deck like 12-post or NicFit or (shudders) Burn. How would you guys build the board?
    What is the Tombstalker for? Creature matchups or matchupes where a control player sides out removal? (I'm not saying this is good or bad, I'm just curious).

I personally prefer Extirpate over Surgical Extraction. Tapping for one black mana to get split second in a deck with ~24 lands seems reasonable.

As for the rest of the sideboard, It's hard to say without seeing the other 60. Some sideboard cards that have been great for me in the past are: Darkblast, more sweepers (Damnaation/Pernicious Deed), and Maelstrom Pulse. Your sideboard also seems slim on graveyard hate against an unknown meta, so you might want to consider Nihil Spellbomb or Relic of Progenitus.

Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Quote Originally Posted by TakeYourTime View Post
    What is the Tombstalker for? Creature matchups or matchupes where a control player sides out removal? (I'm not saying this is good or bad, I'm just curious).
    It's for those matches where I need some faster clocks to finish game three within the clock.

I personally prefer Extirpate over Surgical Extraction. Tapping for one black mana to get split second in a deck with ~24 lands seems reasonable.

As for the rest of the sideboard, It's hard to say without seeing the other 60. Some sideboard cards that have been great for me in the past are: Darkblast, more sweepers (Damnaation/Pernicious Deed), and Maelstrom Pulse. Your sideboard also seems slim on graveyard hate against an unknown meta, so you might want to consider Nihil Spellbomb or Relic of Progenitus.
    My 60:

1 Creeping Tar Pit
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Wasteland
    8 fetch
    4 Underground Sea
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Island

3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Vendilion Clique

4 Brainstorm
    4 Standstill
    4 Force of Will
    2 Counterspell
    2 Spell Snare
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Disfigure
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Damnation
    1 Life from the Loam
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Pernicious Deed

Planned changes so far are -1 Damnation, +1 Deed.

1 Clique
    2 Tombstalker
    1 Thrun
    1 Flusterstorm
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Perish
    1 K-Grip

A SB depends a lot on your maindeck and what decks you're weak against and what you want to beat and against which decks you accept losing. Whenever i build a SB i make a complete list for all matchups to make sure i don't waste SB space. Every SB slot is worth a lot. In general i would cut the Grip because it's useless and the two Tombstalkers and Thrun for more Flusterstorm/Snapcaster Mage/ Counterspells etc.
    TheRiedl on Magic Online

About Magic Online:

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Adryan View Post
    I'd definetely reconsider your SB plans. F. ex. keeping FoW in the Maindeck against Maverick/ Bant is bad. Thoughtseize is better than FoW in this matchup.
    Adryan, I had added Thoughtseize so against combo I could proactively interact, and also take advantage of Snapcaster Mage in a proactive way.

Why do you think keeping Force in against Maverick and Bant bad? Is it because of the card disadvantage?

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    Adryan, I had added Thoughtseize so against combo I could proactively interact, and also take advantage of Snapcaster Mage in a proactive way.

Why do you think keeping Force in against Maverick and Bant bad? Is it because of the card disadvantage?
    Oh wow. I've always wondered what Thoughtseize is for, good to know.... Joke apart.

Discard is also maindeckplayable in our deck.
    Discard gets more powerful when there is a lack of redundancy for proactive effects. It's not good when you're opponent has a hand of 4 2/2 Bears with no abilities.

The route to victory with this deck is to resolve a Standstill/ Jace. Against Bant/ Maverick- Which cards do we care the most? Thalia/ Knight/ GSZ/ Pridemage/ Brainstorm/ Jace etc.

Cards we don't care about: Noble Hierarch, Swords to Plowshares, Mother of Runes (if we have anough mana for Deed), Scryb Ranger etc.
    So there is a lack of redundancy for proactive effects because a lot of cards are not as powerful as other cards (Thalia/Jace,..) in this matchup.

So what do you think is better postboard? A 2 for 1 Trade (FoW) with almost zero information, or a 1:1 trade (Discard) which removes the most dangerous threat and provides information and helps you resolve Standstill Turn 2/ Jace etc?

I play this deck a lot on Magic Online/ RL so i definetely know what i'm talking about. I apologize if this text is somehow rude but i just don't like people who are asking for help and then get angry when someone tells them that what they're doing ( SB for ex.) is wrong and how they could make it better. If you just want us to applaude and tell you how genius your deck is, you should tell us before.
    TheRiedl on Magic Online

About Magic Online:

Thread Information