Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

Re: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I have recently began to play this deck this last week. I have been playing a ton of mono white as of late, so I figured I would try soldier stompy.
    This is the list I decided on for my meta:

4 Ballyrush Banneret
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Field Marshal
    4 Preeminent Captain
    1 Brimaz, King of Orekos
    4 Daru Warchief
    4 Enlistment Officer
    4 Captain of the Watch
    1 Lavinia of the Tenth
    4 Suppression Field
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    12 Plains

SB

1 Worship
    3 Kor Firewalker
    3 Holy Light
    4 Oblivion Ring
    2 Rest in Peace

Here is the matches I had this week

RD1- Joel - Cheerios
    RD2- Wu - Dack Fayden Burn
    RD3 - Mike - Death and Taxes
    RD4 - Sean - Moon Stompy

RD1 G1 I lead Chalice on 1 and my opponent conceded. G2 He had the play and killed me. G3 He didnt know Glimpse was a must and he decked himself.
    RD2 G1 I lead with Thalia Turn 1, He concedes after I dump my hand. G2 I play 2 Kor Firewalkers and start the beats, he TD's a Anarchy but I held a ringleader and rebuilt my army quickly
    RD3 G1 I lead with Chalice on 1, Then quickly present a [card] Preeminent Captain [/card] clock and he never had good attacks. G2 I just have a very strong Suppression field start and he cant win.
    RD4 G1 / G2 Against the deck that relies on a quick Bloodmoon to carry it to a win, my pile of plains was good. I also played worship.

The deck is very strong and I plan on playing it until I get tired of it.
    Nice report, Jon. It's always cool to see people doing well with this underrated deck.

Have you tried playing City of Traitors to give you more explosive starts?

I personally dislike Suppression Field because it is so easy to play around (fetch in response, just flat-out pay 2 for Jace/Lili/Stoneforge activations), so I play 4 Winter Orb in that slot.

Winter Orb is really awesome vs. control decks like Miracles, and is generally decent in nearly every matchup except those decks that either don't need lands (Storm/Dredge) or play AEther Vial (Death n Taxes, Goblins). And with Thalia, it really slows opponents down, even more so than Suppression Field in my opinion. Additionally, if you play Loxodon Gatekeeper it's almost a mini-lock.

Suppression Field is the last card I'd cut. It shuts down planeswalkers, jitte, sfm, top, drs, vial, mother, port for the purposes of a deck that's trying to win in 3-4 attack steps. Having it on the play vs any 3 color deck is just gravy and sometimes an autowin. Winter Orb is OK, but this deck wants to tap out every turn.

Hi,
    Has anyone tried Council's judgment ? It seems very powerful for this kind of deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Idon't think it has the maelstrom pulse ability of killing all with the same name.
    Boo urns. Dang, I was hoping it could do that. Could have been worded a bit better.

As for dealing with Tokens, I though maybe Ratchet Bomb would be good....but it also kills Chalice of the Void and Chrome Mox.

Took a look at Soldiers that have reach. They kinda suck. Maybe just have a Jitte or 2 main.

Do you care about creature tokens at all? One lord and they're just chump blockers. It only becomes problematic if they have a SFM or equipment which is dealt with by killing them before they can dedicate 3 turns to putting into play and equipping the equipment or Suppression Field (plus turns to actually cast the token generator).

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Suppression Field is the last card I'd cut. It shuts down planeswalkers, jitte, sfm, top, drs, vial, mother, port for the purposes of a deck that's trying to win in 3-4 attack steps. Having it on the play vs any 3 color deck is just gravy and sometimes an autowin. Winter Orb is OK, but this deck wants to tap out every turn.
    The problem is that it doesnt' really shut down those cards, it just slows them down a bit.

I've lost so many games where Supp Field was in play and opponent just paid 2 mana to activate his jitte/planeswalker/vial and shrugged it off.

Jace and Liliana become significantly worse when you can't activate their abilities the turn they come down and force you to spend most of your mana the next turn activating their abilities. SFM can't be activated until turn 4 and equipping will take all of your 5th turn as well. Then there's the scenario where t1/t2 Field savages the 10 fetchlands each deck plays. It's obviously a poor topdeck 4-5 turns into the game, but this is the kind of deck that should already be well on the road to winning or losing by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrio View Post
    Jace and Liliana become significantly worse when you can't activate their abilities the turn they come down and force you to spend most of your mana the next turn activating their abilities. SFM can't be activated until turn 4 and equipping will take all of your 5th turn as well. Then there's the scenario where t1/t2 Field savages the 10 fetchlands each deck plays. It's obviously a poor topdeck 4-5 turns into the game, but this is the kind of deck that should already be well on the road to winning or losing by then.
    Supp Field is a decent card but I just don't know if it's maindeck material.

Think about this: When you play Supp Field, you are investing 1W and a card you drew into it. That means it is immediately card disadvantage unless it stops something. Just slowing something down makes it a tempo play, and at that point, you have invested 1W into it, so you need to force 2 mana payment just to break even on tempo, and you need to force them to pay 4 mana just to make a minor gain!

Whereas, if you play something like Phyrexian Revoker in its slot (which is what I do now), you are paying 2 mana to completely shut an opponent's card down. Additionally, you have a 2/1 body that attacks. By shutting down an opponent's card, you are even on card advantage (not at disadvantage like you are with Supp Field). And if the body is relevant for you, you have + card advantage.

And despite the look of this deck, it's not always a t2/3/4 win deck. This deck goes into the mid/late game quite frequently, and survives via the bomb Soldiers like Captain of the Watch and the Ringleader effect on Enlistment Officer. So for a deck that tries to play the late-game, Suppression Field is a marginal contribution whereas something like Phyrexian Revoker or Winter Orb have strong effects throughout the course of the game.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

There is no way I would cut the Field for Revoker. Field can be pitched to Chrome Mox if need be, easily slammed turn 1 against most decks they fold, no interaction for the first few turns.
    Soldier Stompy

Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

There is no way I would cut the Field for Revoker. Field can be pitched to Chrome Mox if need be, easily slammed turn 1 against most decks they fold, no interaction for the first few turns.
    From your experience Suppression Field has performed alot better than it has for me evidently.

Have you tried playing City of Traitors and less double-W casting cost guys? What are your thoughts on doing that - i.e. playing 2+ City of Traitors instead of 2+ Plains, playing Veteran Swordsmith instead of Field Marshal and playing 2-3 Porcelain Legionnaire? Doing this makes the deck a bit more explosive and faster, imho.

Faster Chalice @ 1, Faster Preeminent Captain, and Porcelain Legionnaire comes out really quickly off a single Sol-Land and can even be free with Bannerets / Warchief in play. Swordsmith is almost as good as Field Marshal, and actually has more power himself, and while missing the first strike abliity is tough, it doesn't matter nearly as much because most of the soldiers already have First Strike (Thalia, Preeminent Captain, Enlistment Officer, Porcelain Legionnaire).

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    From your experience Suppression Field has performed alot better than it has for me evidently.

Have you tried playing City of Traitors and less double-W casting cost guys? What are your thoughts on doing that - i.e. playing 2+ City of Traitors instead of 2+ Plains, playing Veteran Swordsmith instead of Field Marshal and playing 2-3 Porcelain Legionnaire? Doing this makes the deck a bit more explosive and faster, imho.

Faster Chalice @ 1, Faster Preeminent Captain, and Porcelain Legionnaire comes out really quickly off a single Sol-Land and can even be free with Bannerets / Warchief in play. Swordsmith is almost as good as Field Marshal, and actually has more power himself, and while missing the first strike abliity is tough, it doesn't matter nearly as much because most of the soldiers already have First Strike (Thalia, Preeminent Captain, Enlistment Officer, Porcelain Legionnaire).
    For myself, I dont like the Veteran Swordsmith. All my iterations of white weenie decks I ran always had problems with opposing Goyfs just shutting down my aggression which is why I really like the FS afforded to my whole team. Legionnaire is a option but I dont think I could actually cut anything for him. The 3 drop slot is packed full of great creatures and I dont think any of them are worse then Legionnaire.
    Soldier Stompy

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

To be fair, Legionnaire is really a 2 drop. A 3/1 for 2 that first strikes is pretty big game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

For myself, I dont like the Veteran Swordsmith. All my iterations of white weenie decks I ran always had problems with opposing Goyfs just shutting down my aggression which is why I really like the FS afforded to my whole team. Legionnaire is a option but I dont think I could actually cut anything for him. The 3 drop slot is packed full of great creatures and I dont think any of them are worse then Legionnaire.
    For me, the first strike ability on Field Marshal is often redundant - Thalia, Enlistment Officer, Preeminent Captain all have first strike already. The only soldiers that really benefit are the Bannerets. The other non-first strike soldiers usually either have enough power as-is or are in there for other reasons (Captain of the Watch, Daru Warchief).

Anyway, if you are having problems with opposing Goyfs and Batterskulls and such, try playing 2-3 Gustcloak Savior. He's a bit expensive for what he does, but he's great if you flash him in off a Preeminent Captain, and cast-able with Bannerets. He basically just lets you attack without worrying about any blockers, and he can block a Delver in a pinch.

Jon - I found the list interesting. Are you playing 61 cards maindeck, though? That's what it seems to add up to for me.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by zmayo View Post
    Jon - I found the list interesting. Are you playing 61 cards maindeck, though? That's what it seems to add up to for me.
    Jon and I traded decks last night for the hell of it since the tournament attendance was so small.
    I believe I was running 60 cards, with him having recently cut the Lavinia the Tenth such that the entire deck is 4-ofs with a Brimaz and 3 Chrome Moxen to round it out.

For me, Brimaz felt really powerful as a one man army, I might consider running a second. The deck felt underpowered when your opponent knew what to remove, so increasing the density of high impact cards might be worth looking at.

Sideboard was...
    3 Kor Firewalker (+1 main because Jon hates Burn for whatever reason - I think 4 Chalice + 2 of these is probably sufficient)
    1 Sanctimony
    1 Worship
    2 Armaggedon
    2 Abolish
    1 Disenchant
    3 Oblivion Ring
    2 ???

1-2 v Miracles
    2-1 v BW Deadguy Ale with Humility in the board (we have so many people on Stoneforge+Bob+Lingering Souls shells locally - including myself most weeks)
    2-1 v UB Tezzeret

Jon went 3-0 with Elves, which was interesting to watch.

The Miracles match was frustrating because he got some value game one out of Counterbalance (suppression field, ballyrush, thalia) and continued to find answers as a result. This deck has a hard time coming back when the board is clear against a Jace (or a Liliana for that matter). Games two and three though the potency of Chalice, Suppression Field, and Cavern of Souls was enough to keep me firmly ahead. The Field kept him from being able to fetch into Supreme Verdict and blanked his Top, closing out the game.
    Game three he has a timely Terminus into an Entreat for 2, operating through Suppression Field and squeaking by on his available mana.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

Quote Originally Posted by zmayo View Post
    I was playing 61, as I had an extra slot for Livinia of the Tenth / Sun Quan, Lord of Wu/ other funny soldiers.

I can see cutting a Captain or maybe a Marshall for another Brimaz, maybe even 2.

Elves was an interesting experience, I don't think I mulled one game, managed to glimpse chain on turn 5 of rounds against Deadguy. My lack of experience with the deck showed though my fetching and ordering of spells.

The SB is always in flux due to shifting meta, and building a SB the day of our locals to fight whatever decks I see.
    Soldier Stompy

Hi all,
    I started to test a soldier stompy deck in cockatrix and I would like to have your opinion please.

MainDeck:
    3 Karakas
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    9 Plains

1 Commander Eesha
    2 Ballyrush Banneret
    2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    2 Daxos of Meletis
    2 Kor Skyfisher
    4 Enlistment Officer
    4 Field Marshal
    4 Lavinia of the Tenth
    4 Preeminent Captain

3 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Council's Judgment

EDIT: Lavinia of the Tenth is really a powerful card and I play it as a "spell". You gain time by "freezing" opponent's permanents (creatures, planeswalker, artifacts...) and so you can attack without any blockers which are enough to deal easily ~10 lifes or more. You can repeat it with the legendary rule and/or with Karakas (that can "lock" the opponent) or with the captain. It's, for me, a x4 must have.

Kor Skyfisher is to fight fly units like delver and its default can be using to get back Lavinia or Enlistment Officer otherwise a simple land.

Daxos of Meletis is almost unblockable in the Legacy (tarmo/delver) and enable us to gain life (lost by Ancient tomb by example) and to play opponent's deck easily (play a liliana/brainstorm...).

Karakas seems to be a must have in a soldier deck. It allows us to have a hate for SneakShow but it can protect legendary soldiers too (and there are many legendary soldier in Magic world).

Regards,
    Dihensoeur
    Last edited by Dihensoeur; 07-04-2014 at 07:50 AM.

I tested 10 games vs Miracle.deck with a friend and won 8 times.

Lavinia of the Tenth is really a win card. It freezes Jace/sensei and all tokens. The lock loop with Karakas and/or the captain is very powerful.

Regards,
    Dihensoeur

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

I really like the deck, Dihensoeur. I've only done limited testing, but so far it feels more fun and a bit more powerful than other Soldier Stompy builds I've looked at. Any sideboard yet? I'm definitely interested in any developments.

Redundant Legendary Lavinia of the Tenth in hand? No problem. Attack with one, second main phase play the second to Time Walk them, and bin the old one.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dihensoeur View Post
    Hi all,
    I started to test a soldier stompy deck in cockatrix and I would like to have your opinion please.

MainDeck:
    3 Karakas
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    9 Plains

1 Commander Eesha
    2 Ballyrush Banneret
    2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    2 Daxos of Meletis
    2 Kor Skyfisher
    4 Enlistment Officer
    4 Field Marshal
    4 Lavinia of the Tenth
    4 Preeminent Captain

3 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Council's Judgment

EDIT: Lavinia of the Tenth is really a powerful card and I play it as a "spell". You gain time by "freezing" opponent's permanents (creatures, planeswalker, artifacts...) and so you can attack without any blockers which are enough to deal easily ~10 lifes or more. You can repeat it with the legendary rule and/or with Karakas (that can "lock" the opponent) or with the captain. It's, for me, a x4 must have.

Kor Skyfisher is to fight fly units like delver and its default can be using to get back Lavinia or Enlistment Officer otherwise a simple land.

Daxos of Meletis is almost unblockable in the Legacy (tarmo/delver) and enable us to gain life (lost by Ancient tomb by example) and to play opponent's deck easily (play a liliana/brainstorm...).

Karakas seems to be a must have in a soldier deck. It allows us to have a hate for SneakShow but it can protect legendary soldiers too (and there are many legendary soldier in Magic world).

Regards,
    Dihensoeur

Well I dont actually think that Councils Judgment is needed, not main anyway. The best card in the whole deck is Suppression Field. The only reason I decided to play the deck is that its the best Suppression Field deck. I think its a huge error not to play Captain of the Watch too, the card is such a powerhouse against most decks in the format. Commander Esha is cute to stop Delver but I don't think you need it. If you land a Suppression Field or Chalice against most Delver decks you are on cruise control as they cannot answer your creatures and you pressure them way more then they pressure you. I havent tested Daxos but I really hate to have more threats that get removed with low sweepers or bolt/stp without a chalice out.
    Soldier Stompy

Thread Information