Thread: [Article] November 2014 Legacy Metagame Analysis

[Article] November 2014 Legacy Metagame Analysis

Re: [Article] November 2014 Legacy Metagame Analysis

Ooooh what's the super secret tech for RUG?

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

I was also interested in the super secret tech for RUG.

Thanks for the analysis! For me, the three most interesting points were that the format broke down almost into thirds combo, control, and aggro decks, that the Top 8 decks were similarly roughly evenly split between the three archetypes, and that the Top 8 performing decks made up 2/3 of the total winning decks.

All sorts of interesting information. Great work!
    InfoNinjas

Is it Hidden Gibbons?

It's Hidden Gibbons isn't it?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post
    Is it Hidden Gibbons?

Sigged and I have no idea why. Except that Hidden Gibbons is a beeeeeeeettttiiiiiiing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

From the article:
    Jeskai Ascendancy is also very much on the chopping block. The deck is beatable, but a nightmare to sit across from as it takes ages to win. It should be banned for the same reason Second Sunrise got the axe.
    He's aware that the reason Second Sunrise got banned wasn't because it was slow, but because it was slow and was frequently played, which (so far) does not apply to Jeskai Ascendancy? People act like Eggs got banned right away, but it actually wasn't banned for a while because the deck wasn't being played. When it did start getting played in large numbers (due to metagame shifts from the Seething Song and Bloodbraid Elf bannings), that was when it got banned for its slowness.

I could understand this ban mania when people thought it was going to be a huge player, but the deck just hasn't lived up to its hype so far. Maybe people just aren't playing it enough, but advocating a ban on a deck that's basically been doing nothing since it got invented seems dubious. At least the advocation for a Treasure Cruise ban is based on decks playing it actually doing well.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post
    Is it Hidden Gibbons?

Shaddup Sssssssssssstar Ssssssssscream!

Although it is worth noting that Hidden Gibbons has maybe the stupidest flavor text of all time.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

May 2011
    Boston, MA

I was also really curious about the super secret tech, and Bob won't tell me! Hidden Gibbons probably does make the most sense, as it has precedent here. Still, I'm curious if it's something else.... Hmmmm. Guess I'll need to get some Gibbons anyway, just in case.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    I was also really curious about the super secret tech, and Bob won't tell me! Hidden Gibbons probably does make the most sense, as it has precedent here. Still, I'm curious if it's something else.... Hmmmm. Guess I'll need to get some Gibbons anyway, just in case.
    My guess is Volcanic Fallout as it wipes their board while Mongoose and goyf can survive, but I would love for hidden Gibbons and/or Hidden Herd to be playable options.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by sjmcc13 View Post
    My guess is Volcanic Fallout as it wipes their board while Mongoose and goyf can survive, but I would love for hidden Gibbons and/or Hidden Herd to be playable options.
    Both cards have been amazing against UR in testing, although Gibbons can be pretty dead in other matchups. Fallout is a decent guess, although it would be odd to run Fallout after spending a paragraph telling people to drop Goose for Pyromancer (unless Bob is just trying to get even more people to play into his devious plans).
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Funny, I actually meant for the editor to put the card tag in there, but he missed it. Now I'm going to keep it a secret.

A king should never sit easy upon the Iron Throne
    Mar 2008
    Columbia, Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post
    Funny, I actually meant for the editor to put the card tag in there, but he missed it. Now I'm going to keep it a secret.
    Noooo! we wanna knoww :(
    Rest in peace, Grandpa Morphling.

Nemeses Slain:4

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

On the topic of current metagame, is Burn a viable strategy in Legacy? Well... :
    http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=15116

24 copies of Lightning Bolt vs 24 copies of Brainstorm in Top8. Ban Lightning Bolt I guess lol.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs View Post
    On the topic of current metagame, is Burn a viable strategy in Legacy? Well... :
    http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=15116

24 copies of Lightning Bolt vs 24 copies of Brainstorm in Top8. Ban Lightning Bolt I guess lol.
    lol that's a metagame, poor BUG guy bringing knife to a gunfight

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Last GPT I went to was completely dominated by burn and UR.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Last GPT I went to was completely dominated by burn and UR.
    That's a local meta though. In my local meta people do play Burn and they do play UR Delver but neither of those lists dominates. You just need to be aware that they are out there. Yes, they'll win sometimes. But neither of the archetypes is dominant despite the UR Delver numbers we're seeing right now.

The problem is that if you have a good matchup against Burn and UR Delver odds are pretty good you're prey for BUG Control and BUG Delver. The logical answer is to play some form of Delver yourself since the Delver lists tend to have one bad matchup among the tier lists and decent to good matchups against everybody else. Oh, and Delver just creates stupid wins every now and then when you invested almost nothing in it but managed to ride it through to the end.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

All these burn decks, maybe it's finally time to invest in Leylines

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    All these burn decks, maybe it's finally time to invest in Leylines
    For extra troll factor, you could play with Puca's Mischief as a backup for Opalescence.

Are you allowed to scout your opponents and mull into Leyline of Sanctity game 1 vs burn?

Did bob ever tell anyone the super secret tech?

Thread Information