Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Worldgorger Dragon Combo

Re: [SCD] Worldgorger Dragon Combo

Unlike the other builds I've posted here, this one comes in with zero testing. However, it struck me that since the combo doesn't take up too many cards in the deck at a minimum, a "Young Frankenstein"-type build might be possible. I couldn't fit Young Pyro or any red at all into the deck since green is such a better 3rd color for the sideboard, but here it is:

Creatures (14)

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Baleful Strix
    3 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
    1 Worldgorger Dragon
    1 Oona, Queen of the Fae
    1 Griselbrand

Spells (28)

4 Entomb
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Force of Will
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Daze

Land (18)

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Underground Sea
    1 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island

Sideboard (15)

4 Abrupt Decay
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Pernicious Deed
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Cabal Therapy

Basically you are U/B tempo and beat down with Delver and Tasigur, but you can instant-win with either double Entomb + Animate Dead, or with Entomb + Animate Dead + (Strix in play or Tasigur in play or Tasigur in graveyard). Or you can pull a quick Griselbrand reanimation if you don't have the Dragon win. Post-board you can either sideboard out your 11 reanimator cards for decays, TNNs, Deeds and a Therapy, or you can side in any of the non-TNN cards as anti-hate cards if you're going to need to win with the reanimation plan.

It kind of reminds me of a Vintage-style deck that can win via multiple avenues utilizing a few powerful cards, but I'll have to wait until I can get home and test it to see if it even feels viable. I just like that Tasigur gives you an infinite-mana-dump that can win after the Dragon loop comes on, or he does a decent impression of Tarmogoyf otherwise.
    Last edited by kihachi; 01-27-2015 at 04:53 PM. Reason: deck update

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but playing around with Vintage Dragon last night it came up that Dig Through Time let's you stop the combo after making ~ mana.
    Swim, Bike, Run, MTG

Any instant actually, but one must also assess each card's value pre-mana infinitum.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    Honestly, I think sticking to U/b is probably the way to go. Green adds some nice removal options, but drawing that Trop (and / or Bayou) is always annoying in opening hands of Trop + Drownyard x2. I think switching out Deed / Decay for Engineered Explosives / Massacre, might be a good start. Also, Living Wish is a sorcery, so there will be no CWishing for it! :)

Something like this:
    1 Stroke of Genius
    3 Massacre
    1 Dismember
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Pact of Negation
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Engineered Explosives
    Toxic Deluge is probably better than Massacre unless all you expect is D&T. Deluge is faster and hits bigger creatures and much easier to cast and the lifeloss is negligible.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    Any instant actually, but one must also assess each card's value pre-mana infinitum.
    I think he means that you can eat the dragon. Cool observation.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

right, but not any instant lets you stop the loop.

The situation I was in was that I had Oona in hand, dragon in gy, animate in hand, but no Bazaar/loot effect. So making ~ mana then stopping the combo to hardcast/use Oona got there.

It's corner case for the most part, but Dig is a card I'm not embarrassed to have in my deck other times so extra value is extra value.
    Swim, Bike, Run, MTG

It eats Dragon, right, that's precisely why it's a nonbo, uncastable pre-combo but if your testing shows otherwise then maybe I'm wrong. I'm saying Intuition (and Cunning Wish) is better. If you have 4 non-Dragon creatures in the deck you can make Intuition piles.

In my opinion, DTT is too narrow. In that situation, true, it's applicable, you stop the loop, dig for Nephalia and that's all she wrote. But how good is it pre-combo?

It eats Dragon, right, that's precisely why it's a nonbo, uncastable pre-combo but if your testing shows otherwise then maybe I'm wrong. I'm saying Intuition (and Cunning Wish) is better. If you have 4 non-Dragon creatures in the deck you can make Intuition piles.

In my opinion, DTT is too narrow. In that situation, true, it's applicable, you stop the loop, dig for Nephalia and that's all she wrote. But how good is it pre-combo?
    well, I think 100% of the time I'd rather have dig than wish in my 75... intuition is about on the same power level. I think a 3 mana spell that eats up sideboard slots and is pretty bad when you're losing isn't worth a spot, but YMMV. Intuition is probably about as useful as dig a good portion of the time, but again if we're assuming this isn't an "all in" deck then I'd rather pick 2/7 as opposed to getting 1/3 in times I'm not comboing. If it is an all in build, I'd suggest not running many of any of them.
    Swim, Bike, Run, MTG

Sep 2004
    South Florida

Wait. Dig Through Time is uncastable pre-combo? What? In what world? Careful Study is not good right now, but it is possible that a build with Digs and Studies might be good.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Dig is antisynergistic in a deck that wants creatures/spells in the yard for their reanimation spells or Snapcaster Mage to work.

At this point I want to quote Philipp: That's not how deckbuilding works.

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Toxic Deluge is probably better than Massacre unless all you expect is D&T. Deluge is faster and hits bigger creatures and much easier to cast and the lifeloss is negligible.
    Massacre is free to cast and lifeloss matters in his deck, he runs 4 Probes and 4 Thoughtseizes.

Dig is antisynergistic in a deck that wants creatures/spells in the yard for their reanimation spells or Snapcaster Mage to work.
    That's a load of hooey. You don't delve away your Worldgorger, and you can afford to remove just about everything else. This deck isn't trying to load up the yard with a million cards, just get one particular card into the yard. Dig is no more "anti-synergistic" with Dragon combo than Treasure Cruise or Dig were "anti-synergistic" with themselves.

Sep 2004
    South Florida

At this point I want to quote Philipp: That's not how deckbuilding works.

Massacre is free to cast and lifeloss matters in his deck, he runs 4 Probes and 4 Thoughtseizes.
    You have to get past that perception because it is not true. Tarmo and Deathrite are fine together. So are Lavamancer and Tombstalker. Good decks use good cards. That fact trumps most cases of apparent antisynergy. I learned this the hard way.

Dig can be made to work with some proper card choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    You have to get past that perception because it is not true. Tarmo and Deathrite are fine together. So are Lavamancer and Tombstalker. Good decks use good cards. That fact trumps most cases of apparent antisynergy. I learned this the hard way.

Dig can be made to work with some proper card choices.
    Yeah but if you have to make it work with bad cards -> Careful Study; its no longer "Good decks use good cards"

Imho DTT is just a bit overkill. By the time you can cast DTT you already played a bunch of cantrips, so you should have found your missing combo piece already!
    Still it might be good to come back if everything got countered BUT If you face graveyard hate and you want to search for an answer I rather have some ponders...
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Er, Goyf and DRS belong to entirely different decks and interact differently. They're cheap permanents and neither one use delve.

If DTT is such a good card, then why aren't we seeing it in Reanimator and TinFins?

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post

Imho DTT is just a bit overkill. By the time you can cast DTT you already played a bunch of cantrips, so you should have found your missing combo piece already!
    Still it might be good to come back if everything got countered BUT If you face graveyard hate and you want to search for an answer I rather have some ponders...
    I'd think it depends on the approach you take to filling the graveyard. DTT should be stronger in decks that use bulk graveyard fillers like Faithless Looting or Breakthrough and less synergetic with tutor-like stuff along the lines of Entomb or Gamble.

If DTT is such a good card, then why aren't we seeing it in Reanimator and TinFins?
    I'd ask you the same on intuition or cunning wish ;)

But to actually answer, it's because you are comparing this deck to reanimator/tinfins, when you should be comparing it to something like omnitell. Just because you use reanimating a dragon to win doesn't mean you are a reanimator deck.

- again, I'm not saying I have the optimal build, or that intuition (or possibly even wish) aren't fine in the deck... just that I'd have to have a very good reason not to play with cards that are better a good portion of the time as opposed to cards that are a little better when I'm winning.
    Swim, Bike, Run, MTG

Er, Goyf and DRS belong to entirely different decks and interact differently. They're cheap permanents and neither one use delve.

Reanimator and Tin Fins are both looking to "go off" turn 1 or turn 2, they don't have the ability to stock the graveyard to take advantage of DTT.

If you're playing the Dark Ritual / Lotus Petal version of Worldgorger than you also wouldn't want DTT, but I think we've pretty clearly established that that version is pretty much worse than both the aforementioned decks.

If we're building toward the idea that our combo is compact and thus can fit into a shell, we're acknowledging the game is going to move beyond the first few turns and can include cards like DTT which take advantage of the fact that we're filling our GY with things like cantrips and fetchlands.

Dig serves the same role in our deck as it does in Omnitell -- acts as another spell that works towards assembling the combo while also providing a fairly reliable method of finding the wincon after your combo is up and running. DTT has completely revitalized Omnitell, so I don't think it should be so quickly dismissed in a deck like ours that also seeks to sculpt a perfect hand for a one-turn win.

LOL. WGD is soft to removal but it's not strictly worse. Each has merits and I'd pick WGD over the other two anytime.

Now Omni-Tell, again, it's a combo deck that doesn't need resources in the graveyard. Different decks, different strokes.

This is my last post. In case you want to try my builds feel free to drop by the other threads. I already broke Worldgorger since last week. Good luck and happy deck building.

Let us let the results speak for themselves. Thank you.

I already broke Worldgorger since last week. Good luck and happy deck building.

Let us let the results speak for themselves. Thank you.
    They say you can't have a discussion if one person has all the answers ;) But yes, congrats on breaking the card.
    Swim, Bike, Run, MTG

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I'll bite. Because DTT is too slow for these decks. Entomb is one helluva card. It doesn't need or want to commit to long-term plans when it can just win you the game. Right here. Right now. For a single mana.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thread Information