Page 133 of 243 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183233 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 4851

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

@mgoldman: I have thought about it, having 4 Covetous Dragon, 4 Steel Hellkites, and some Ugins... Dragon Stompy style.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by darkgh0st View Post
    @mgoldman: I have thought about it, having 4 Covetous Dragon, 4 Steel Hellkites, and some Ugins... Dragon Stompy style.
    Be sure to include Wildfire aswell.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Sounds like good old Urza's block days.

Has anyone tried Apostle's Blessing as a sideboard card? It avoids StP and a good amount of removals.

EDIT: okay it was a bad idea when you are taxing... Usually, you can't protect your robots when they come to play cuz you wouldn't have enough mana to do so.
    Last edited by darkgh0st; 06-05-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Why are there many how play Platinum emperion over Platium Angel? Angel cost one more less and has flying. It stops also wincons without damage.

I see very little Batterskulls in the mud list here. I would play at least two. Cost 5 witch is a good curve between lode stone and Wurmcoil. If they just have creture rmovel it is easy to just plat Batterskull again. It has also lifelink to save your life.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Ganfar View Post
    Why are there many how play Platinum emperion over Platium Angel? Angel cost one more less and has flying. It stops also wincons without damage.
    The problem i have with Platinum Angel that it does not actually stop the ticker. If an opponent keeps beating you below 0 OR creates an alternative wincon, the only problem he has is getting rid of the Angel. While Platinum Emperion does not stop alternative wincons, it does "freeze" the game, hence it prevents your opponent from getting any further. So when he finally has a solution for the Emperion you still have your remaining life, thus not instantly lose. Also i have found that alternative wincons to be quite rare and mostly that involves being complete decked (most often Jace). While flying does matter (grab Steel Hellkite for flyers) i have found that Platinum Emperion is better at doing the job.
    Last edited by Bobmans; 06-06-2015 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Typo's
    4c Aggro Loam

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    The problem i have with Patinum Angel that i doens't not actually stop the ticker. If an opponent keeps beating you below 0 OR creates an alternative wincon, the only problem he has is getting rid of the Angel. While platinum Emprion does not stop alternative wincons, it does "freeze" the game, hence it prevents your opponent from getting any further. So when he finnaly has a solution for the Emperion you still have your remaining life, thus not instantly lose. Also i have found that alternative wincons to be quite rare and mostly that involves being complete decked. While flying does matter (grab Steel Hellkite for flyers) i have found that Platinum Emporion is better at doing the job.
    If you put it that way I understand why. He is a 8/8 also.

I've decided to go deep blue just for the card draw . I want as good card selection as my opponents playing Ponder / Brainstorm but I want to pay between 2-3 mana for them because of Chalice of the Void . I'm convinced this is the way to go . I'm wondering what you think the best blue draw spells are and why .

Dream Cache -- This is #1 for me. It's a Brainstorm that allows you to bottom the two cards instead of topping them. This allows you to Brainstorm into land drops, recover from Wasteland, find threats, and bury extra copies of trinisphere and stuff under your library, or put Blightsteel away to tutor him.

Standstill -- This is really powerful. I think it's worth including because in many of my games all my opponent is doing is Pondering or Brainstorming because their land counts are so low unless they play a turn 1 delver. It's more of a later game card.

Plea For Power -- Remember this? It's an Ancestral Recall for 3U . I think this costs 1 mana too much since getting to the 4th land drop is a bit tricky and it wastes a turn.

Meditate -- I considered this one as well . Burning through a turn is ok because we're winning with Forgemaster Hellkites and Wurmcoils. I think this is better than it may first appear.

Telling Time -- This seems just the card for the job.

Omen -- Not on MTGO.. just paper.. I like that this shuffles and I think I prefer this one.

I would slot 8 of these in the deck and never look back because I think you could even cut down to 20 lands if the choices are 2cmc. Maybe just Omen / Telling Time if you're playing paper.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Ganfar View Post

I see very little Batterskulls in the mud list here. I would play at least two. Cost 5 witch is a good curve between lode stone and Wurmcoil. If they just have creture rmovel it is easy to just plat Batterskull again. It has also lifelink to save your life.
    I used to play 4 Batterskulls in the 75 when I played non-forgemaster/midrange lists. In the Cloudpost ramp lists that are common today I prefer Wurmcoil Engine and other big stuff, especially since there's much less aggro and you can't make Batterskull uncounterable with Cavern of Souls.

I play Platinum Empyrion over Platinum Angel because Platinum Empyrion is a Golem which is a FAR better creature type concerning use of the aforementioned Cavern. Metalworker and Forgemaster are constructs, while Lodestone, Sundering Titan, Blightsteel, and Empyrion are all Golems.

EDIT: @Troll_ov_Grimness - I feel like adding blue for mediocre card draw that barely sees play in Modern isn't the way we want to go. If you must splash a color for card draw, splash red for Daretti who is legit insane. That way you at least get to play Welder and potentially splash Blood Moon out of the board.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Jun 2012
    Finland

Does anybody have a good sideboard card or a plan against Lands? I'm playing 12-post MUD and I'm feeling that the matchup is awful. They can waste my lands away every turn (Wasteland+Life from the Loam) and I don't know which is the right way to start the game: Chalice at 0 (Mox Diamond) or 1 (Explore, other stuff).

Daretti is too inconsistent. The problem is when you get him into play he easily gets attacked by delver and batterskull , and you have no way to defend him because the deck lacks removal. I've tried him and I'd rather play Goblin Welder with Faithless Looting, which isn't any form of card advantage . Daretti is just 1 cast of Faithless Looting most of the time .

and I fail to see how cards like Omen or Telling Time are bad it is clear to me that they are extremely good. they just cost 2 instead of 1.

Freedom is just as essential as air
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Avez View Post
    Does anybody have a good sideboard card or a plan against Lands? I'm playing 12-post MUD and I'm feeling that the matchup is awful. They can waste my lands away every turn (Wasteland+Life from the Loam) and I don't know which is the right way to start the game: Chalice at 0 (Mox Diamond) or 1 (Explore, other stuff).
    Tormod's Crypt is the best answer we have available because Lands boils down to graveyard shenanigans. You can also use Surgical Extraction and Relic of Progenitus as other hate cards, but they each have their issues (CMC=1). There's also Leyline of the Void, but that has the same problem as all Leylines played outside of their colors.

Chalice hits more cards on 1 than 0, so I would recommend that. Two would also be great because it keeps them from recurring lands through Life from the Loam (although they can still feed it into Chalice to keep dredging).

Biggest thing to be wary of is Krosan Grip because they kill everything in our deck except planeswalkers (Ugin is not strong in this match-up, and Karn... eh low creatures may mean he has more time to tear into their hand and board, but I'm iffy)
    "Let go your earthly tether. Enter the void, empty, and become wind."

I've cast Chalice for 0 against lands and my opponent lacked any green mana for a long time.

If I'm not mistaken, against Lands one of the most used hate card is Tsabo's Web.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

MUD has 3 top16 appearances in SCG this weekend. Seems that things are looking good for MUD right now. Will MUD be a serious contender for GP Lille?
    4c Aggro Loam

Nov 2006
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    MUD has 3 top16 appearances in SCG this weekend. Seems that things are looking good for MUD right now. Will MUD be a serious contender for GP Lille?
    All three were Cloudpost based (8 Locus)

Each played the "core" 28...
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Metalworker
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost

Plus 1 of...
    Steel Hellkite
    Spine of Ish Sah
    Blightsteel Colossus
    Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

On average...
    3.66 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    3.33 Trinisphere
    2.66 Wurmcoil Engine
    1.66 Sundering Titan
    1.33 Coercive Portal
    1.33 Lightning Greaves
    0.66 Staff of Domination
    0.33 Batterskull
    0.33 Trading Post
    0.33 Myr Battlesphere
    0.33 Duplicant
    0.33 Platinum Angel
    0.33 Karn Liberated

3.33 City of Traitors
    3.33 Wasteland
    2.66 Cavern of Souls
    2.00 Vesuva
    0.33 Thespian's Stage
    0.33 Tower of the Magistrate

A few observations I found interesting:
    Zero Platinum Emperion, but one Platinum Angel.
    Only 1 Ugin per deck, when many on here seem to be sporting 2 at a minimum. Karn showed up once.
    1.33 Coercive Portal per deck, and zero Staff of Nin.
    The manabases were fairly consistent, with Cavern and Wasteland the preferred utility lands.

--

I think the current maindeck template for Cloudpost MUD looks like this...

4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Metalworker
    3-4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    2-3 Wurmcoil Engine
    1-2 Sundering Titan
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    1 Platinum Emperion / Platinum Angel

4 Grim Monolith
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3-4 Trinisphere

1-3 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon / Karn Liberated

4-5 "Utility" / "Flex Slots": Lightning Greaves, Spine of Ish Sah, Coercive Portal, Staff of Domination, Staff of Nin, Trading Post, Crucible of Worlds, Batterskull

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    3-4 City of Traitors
    2-4 Wasteland
    2-3 Cavern of Souls
    2-3 Vesuva

Thanks for the update guys. This helps in deck building.

Jun 2015
    Bavaria

I read this thread quite a long time and i would like to take a try on Tezzerets Gambit.
    With Tanglewire, Chalice, Ugin and maybe Contagious Engine (sb) this carddraw for 3 Mana and 2 life could realy shine. in the case of ugin, you could use his ultimate the round after he hits the board.

With Metalworker on the field Tezzerets Gambit is nearly free for 3 mana if you have the mana without tapping the worker.

Synergy with:

1. Chalice set on 1 could be pushed to 2 if you want to play a second one.

2. It increases the duration of Tangle Wire.

3. It enables a fast ugin Ultimate (if necessary).

Your thoughts on this?

regards Ganymedical

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    --

I think the current maindeck template for Cloudpost MUD looks like this...

4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Metalworker
    3-4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    2-3 Wurmcoil Engine
    1-2 Sundering Titan
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    1 Platinum Emperion / Platinum Angel

4 Grim Monolith
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3-4 Trinisphere

1-3 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon / Karn Liberated

4-5 "Utility" / "Flex Slots": Lightning Greaves, Spine of Ish Sah, Coercive Portal, Staff of Domination, Staff of Nin, Trading Post, Crucible of Worlds, Batterskull

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    3-4 City of Traitors
    2-4 Wasteland
    2-3 Cavern of Souls
    2-3 Vesuva
    I will be putting this on the Primer
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
    Tormod's Crypt is the best answer we have available because Lands boils down to graveyard shenanigans. You can also use Surgical Extraction and Relic of Progenitus as other hate cards, but they each have their issues (CMC=1). There's also Leyline of the Void, but that has the same problem as all Leylines played outside of their colors.

Chalice hits more cards on 1 than 0, so I would recommend that. Two would also be great because it keeps them from recurring lands through Life from the Loam (although they can still feed it into Chalice to keep dredging).

Biggest thing to be wary of is Krosan Grip because they kill everything in our deck except planeswalkers (Ugin is not strong in this match-up, and Karn... eh low creatures may mean he has more time to tear into their hand and board, but I'm iffy)
    Chalice on 2 is good. Lock out life from the loam.

I still stand by Lodestone Golem being obsolete because it hits the table too late and isn't any combat advantage over the heavily played threats in the format like Delver and Batterskull. I find Lodestone Golem too inconsistent. I don't think increasing the mana by 1 of your opponents spells makes a dent in a format where Sinkhole isn't even a good card.

I tried discussing this online, it'd be a green splash with Cavern Of Souls instead of Wasteland in Posts MUD...

Conclave Naturalists - 4G
    When this enters the battlefield you may destroy target artifact or enchantment.
    4 / 4

I really like this. It can be really hard to get around Batterskull . I really insist that that is the card to beat with this deck. I realize that on the surface, Wurmcoil is a better card, but becuase your opponent can bounce Batterskull and easily stoneforge it, gain life, and swing with cards like Delver, I'm not convinced that MUD can be played without an answer to it. I think a 4/4 that reads "kill batterskull" when it enters the battelfield and is able to have combat advantage over Delver is really significant for this deck.

There are other artifact removal enter play effects but they're not "you may", this deck being all artifacts...

Thread Information