Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Developmental] GW Opal-Wave

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

[Developmental] GW Opal-Wave

Opal-Wave

Opal-Wave is a Green White deck designed to maximize the interaction between of Opalescence and Parallax Wave & kill with attacking enchantment creatures.

The Deck uses the Green for filtering and Card Draw, and White for Controlling the board and killing

Deck (60)

Kill Cards:
    4 Opalescence
    1 Starfield of Nyx

Card Selection and Draw:
    4 Sylvan Library
    4 Kruphix's Insight
    2 Commune with the Gods
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Enchantress's Presence

Ramp:
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Wild Growth
    1 Fertile Ground

Enevitability:
    3 Replenish

Disruption:
    4 Parallax Wave
    1 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Oblivion Ring

Mana Base: (20)
    4 Serra's Sanctum
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Plains
    2 Savannah
    6 Forest

Sideboard:

4 Eidolon of Rhetoric
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Sphere of resistance
    3 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Banishing Light

Understanding the Deck Interactions

Opalescence & Parallax Wave:
    With both Opalescence and Parallax Wave on the battlefield Parallax Wave is a 4/4 creature.
    Parallax Wave can target itself with its own exile ability this will exile Parallax Wave. When Parallax Wave exiles itself it triggers it’s own exit the battlefield clause and returns itself and all of the other exiled creatures exiled by Parallax Wave to the battlefield. This will reset the Fading counters to 5.

Opalescence & Parallax Wave: Infinite Creature Exile Combo [Holding Priority & the Stack]
    If you target an opposing creature with Parallax Wave, hold priority then target Parallax Wave the stack will look like below:

[Parallax Wave Exile Trigger – Targeting Parallax Wave]
    [Parallax Wave Exile Trigger – Opponent’s creature]
    Bottom

The stack will resolve top to bottom and start with the exile ability targeting Parallax Wave. This will then trigger Parallax Wave’s Exit the battle field trigger. The stack will then look like below

[Parallax Wave Return to Battlefield Trigger]
    Bottom

Parallax Wave will then return to the battlefield with a fresh set of 5 counters on it. In the Game of Magic this is treated as a new object, and no longer has any relation to the exile trigger remaining on the stack. Then the stack will look like follows

Bottom

This will exile the opponent’s creature indefinitely as there will be no exit the battle field trigger from the Parallax Wave that exiled the creature since that copy has already left the battlefield. This can be repeated indefinitely.

Opalescence& Parallax Wave and Infinite Creature removal Evasion
    The “blink ability” can also be used to evade all non-split second removal.

[Removal Targeting Parallax Wave]
    Bottom

[Parallax Wave Exile targeting itself]
    [Removal Targeting Parallax Wave]
    Bottom

Parallax Wave exiles itself triggering the exit the battlefield trigger

[Parallax Wave exit the battlefield trigger]
    [Removal Targeting Parallax Wave – Now Gone]
    Bottom

Parallax Wave returns back to the battlefield as a new copy

[Removal Targeting Parallax Wave – Now Gone]
    Bottom

The removal spell fizzles due to lack of target.

Parallax Wave, Opalescence, Oblivion Ring: Infinite Permanent removal
    Oblivion Ring enters the battlefield and triggers.

[Oblivion Ring Enter the Battlefield Exile Trigger Targeting Permanent]
    Bottom

Use Parallax Wave to target Oblivion Ring to get the following Stack

[Parallax Wave Exile Trigger Targeting Creature Oblivion Ring]
    Bottom

Parallax Wave trigger resolves exiling Oblivion Ring

Bottom

The Permanent is removed

Blink Parallax Wave to bring back both 5 counter Parallax Wave and Oblivion Ring. Oblivion Ring can choose a new target and is considered a new object and when leave the

Evading Wrath Effects

Hide select enchantments under Parallax Wave, and let the Wrath resolve. All creatures under Parallax Wave will return to the Battlefield

Playing the Deck

...forthcoming
    Last edited by Freggle; 01-04-2018 at 09:35 PM.

May 2013
    NAS Oceana

Re: [Developmental] GW Opal-Wave

Hey Freggle, I'll support you. Specially when it comes to Enchantress discussions, I'll gladly help out.

A couple of things I've noted is your heavier reliance on replenish, as well as a few possible switches.
    Seeing as you are using the Kruphix and commune, woudn't Vessel of Nascency be better of in this build?
    It synergizes more with the deck's Enchantress, Sanctums and Replenish.

I was going to mention Abundant Growth, however, since the plan is the mana ramp and not the color fix, then since it is on color, then perhaps Trace of Abundance may be a better choice. It will protect the sanctums and also versus cards like Rishadan Port.

This may be the build where you can instead run Living Wish, allowing you to run more utility, and have game one answers to most decks by wishing for Maze of Ith, Teeg, or simply dropping a peace keeper, as well as acting as an extra sanctum or enchantress. Or simply wish for Emrakul as your last resort if your main strategy fails.

Graveyard hate that your deck is lacking, but won't be affected by, is with the use of Ground Seal. It does not hurt you, but it shuts off any target based cards such as Life from the Loam, Deathrite Shaman, Surgical extractions and such. Works great too with replenish.

Also this is just some random fun thing :)...
    Seeing a syou run a heavier Replenish count, and also noticing you're just one Oblivion ring short.
    For the fun and lulz, of things, you could squueze in the 3rd oblivion ring and a Eidolon of Blossoms for the possible "Draw X cards" by messing with 3 O-rings effects exiling each other while triggering blossoms. It'll be fun, but not worth it... that's why I mentioned its just a random thought. :)
    Legacy: GWR Enchantress (2010-Current)
    I'm also always looking for friendly players in League of Legends IGN Dread Return, doesn't have to be competitive, just be nice and friendly.
    [S3 - Diamond, S4 - Diamond, S5 - Diamond, Current Season - Diamond] Primary role Support, Secondary MID Lane, Alternate Jungle.

Finally, a reason for four Sylvan Libraries that isn't Plug.

I never liked the 1-of Leyline maindeck when I was playing Lejay's original Omnitell. Not nearly so bad here though, given it can be cast easily, but still leaves an odd taste in my mouth.

Why the Oblivion Ring / Banishing Light split? In traditional enchantress the latter is better as you can use it to cantrip if they don't have any targets and you don't want to eat something of your own, but I would have thought the combo benefits would have outweighed that.

By virtue of the fact you have Sylvan Library over Mirri's Guile can I assume you're finding yourself paying the life for cards often?

Regarding Ground Seal, I'll just point out it's not quite perfect as it messes up Starfield.

Really looking forward to sleeving this up.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore1 View Post
    Hey Freggle, I'll support you. Specially when it comes to Enchantress discussions, I'll gladly help out.

A couple of things I've noted is your heavier reliance on replenish, as well as a few possible switches.
    Seeing as you are using the Kruphix and commune, woudn't Vessel of Nascency be better of in this build?
    It synergizes more with the deck's Enchantress, Sanctums and Replenish.
    Claymore, Thank you. I haven't posted how to play the deck, but Replenish is just an option. You can easily play the deck without ever casting a Replenish.

Vessel of Nascency is a card I do have my eye on, but have not tested it. I'm trying to keep the deck to as little Activated abilities as possible to reduce hate. ...don't want to roll over to multiple Pithing Needle or Suppression Fields

I was going to mention Abundant Growth, however, since the plan is the mana ramp and not the color fix, then since it is on color, then perhaps Trace of Abundance may be a better choice. It will protect the sanctums and also versus cards like Rishadan Port.
    Haven't tried it. It could work.

This may be the build where you can instead run Living Wish, allowing you to run more utility, and have game one answers to most decks by wishing for Maze of Ith, Teeg, or simply dropping a peace keeper, as well as acting as an extra sanctum or enchantress. Or simply wish for Emrakul as your last resort if your main strategy fails.
    I'd first test more Enchantments as alt wins, then venture into other cards to maximize the decks engine and staying power. Two Cards in mind are Words of Wilding (Combos with Sylvan Library), and Sacred Mesa.

Graveyard hate that your deck is lacking, but won't be affected by, is with the use of Ground Seal. It does not hurt you, but it shuts off any target based cards such as Life from the Loam, Deathrite Shaman, Surgical extractions and such. Works great too with replenish.
    Original version did play Ground Seal, but was cut for other more impact cards. Opal, Wave, and Seal allows you to draw your whole deck FYI

Also this is just some random fun thing :)...
    Seeing a syou run a heavier Replenish count, and also noticing you're just one Oblivion ring short.
    For the fun and lulz, of things, you could squueze in the 3rd oblivion ring and a Eidolon of Blossoms for the possible "Draw X cards" by messing with 3 O-rings effects exiling each other while triggering blossoms. It'll be fun, but not worth it... that's why I mentioned its just a random thought. :)
    That is a little magical Christmas land, but in earlier versions I have done this. More Oblivion Rings is not a bad thing though. It helps fend off Teeg, Sup Fields, Revoker, Counterballance to allow us to combo. Likely one more Oring is correct.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by area View Post
    Finally, a reason for four Sylvan Libraries that isn't Plug.

I never liked the 1-of Leyline maindeck when I was playing Lejay's original Omnitell. Not nearly so bad here though, given it can be cast easily, but still leaves an odd taste in my mouth.

Why the Oblivion Ring / Banishing Light split? In traditional enchantress the latter is better as you can use it to cantrip if they don't have any targets and you don't want to eat something of your own, but I would have thought the combo benefits would have outweighed that.

By virtue of the fact you have Sylvan Library over Mirri's Guile can I assume you're finding yourself paying the life for cards often?

Regarding Ground Seal, I'll just point out it's not quite perfect as it messes up Starfield.

Really looking forward to sleeving this up.
    The MD Leyline of Sanctity can be cut. It there to give us more game against burn and combo. A given the casting cost of most of the cards in the deck it may be a good deck for 3 ball. (Trinisphere)

Oblivion Ring / Banishing Light Split is designed to play around a Meddling Mage / Pithing Needle combo locking out the deck, or to play around surgical. Even when everything is going wrong you can still potentially win.

I do pay life for cards using Sylvan Library fairly often, but it's obviously conditional. Also the 2/2 body is nice vs. a 1/1 under Opal.

Enjoy, let me know how it goes or what improvements you make.

How necessary is Enlightened Tutor when you are playing 4 Kruphix and 2 Commune? Would it be worth it to cut them in order to go up to a full playset of Commune? Or it could be a couple of Sterling Grove which come back from Replenish (and loop themselves if you draw more Replenishes) and draw cards from Enchantress's Presence, and are keepable when hit from Kruphix.

Eidolon of Blossoms works well to draw cards once the combo is achieved. And it can be semi-protected by the wave if Opal isn't out quite yet. Seems like Eidolons might be better if Sterling Grove is added since it does help to protect them and achieve a higher density of enchantments.

I was looking at the other "Words of" cards in the cycle...Words of Worship could gain you 15 life a turn with a Sylvan Library. Might only be impressive against Burn though. Leyline from the side sounds easier to get going, and also helps with Storm.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    How necessary is Enlightened Tutor when you are playing 4 Kruphix and 2 Commune? Would it be worth it to cut them in order to go up to a full playset of Commune? Or it could be a couple of Sterling Grove which come back from Replenish (and loop themselves if you draw more Replenishes) and draw cards from Enchantress's Presence, and are keepable when hit from Kruphix.
    This is interesting. Up until earlier this week I was playing a full playset of Commune with the Gods. Athough I did not feel making the change was necessary it seem like Enlightened Tutor it too powerful of a card not to test so I added (2). Enlightened also allows us to topdeck Artifacts should we go 3ball or Sphere of resistance as our combo hate of choice.

One thing to note: Sterling Grove provides shroud not hexproof. this prohibits Parallax Wave from targeting itself or any other enchantment you own. However, if the combo is in place you can sacrifice it to to topdeck tutor for something say Enchanted Evening? That's probably too cute, but with Opalescence & Enchanted Evening on the battlefield Parallax Wave can exile anything without the help of Oblivion Ring. It also turn all lands into 0/0 creatures "killing" them and not allowing anyone else to keep another land into play so long as they are both on the battlefield. Again, probably too cute. Sterling Grove is interesting, and should be tested, but not certain it will make the cut yet.

Eidolon of Blossoms works well to draw cards once the combo is achieved. And it can be semi-protected by the wave if Opal isn't out quite yet. Seems like Eidolons might be better if Sterling Grove is added since it does help to protect them and achieve a higher density of enchantments.
    Your better off with Ground Seal if you want to draw your whole deck under the combo because you can control the draw. A large Replenish can deck you since Eidolon's draw is not a may ability. Further more the loose graveyard hate Ground Seal gives you just being Ground Seal isn't bad and keeps the curve of the deck lower.

I was looking at the other "Words of" cards in the cycle...Words of Worship could gain you 15 life a turn with a Sylvan Library. Might only be impressive against Burn though. Leyline from the side sounds easier to get going, and also helps with Storm.
    It's not bad, but likely falls under the too cute. It could pull you out of Tendrils range, and it can regain lost life from Sylvan Library draws, but I'm still not sold it's worth the slot.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

In testing vessel of nascency is not very good in this deck, however Sterling Grove is quite powerful for the A+B combo deck.

Also, if there is only 1 on the battlefield its very good even while comboing:

Sterling, Opal and Parallax wave on the battlefield, and you want to exile an opponents creature:

1. Wave targets Sterling, Let trigger resolve. Sterling is now exiled by wave.

2. Target Creature, hold priority, Target wave. Let triggers resolve.

Wave and sterling will return, then opponents creature will be exiled.

You can also do this to "blink" sterling to protect it from removal.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

As usual I have a question first.

Why not UW like it was originally?
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    As usual I have a question first.

Why not UW like it was originally?
    Assuming you mean a list like this. You don't really gain all that much aside from access to counterspells, and Attunement

I think with the printing of Kruphix's Insight and Commune with the Gods you have access to better dig spells in green, and better ramp to affect the game earlier, than you do in . In addition, after having tested Sterling Grove as well I feel that is also a very strong reason to consider .

If you want to be able to force through your enchantments, and have more game against combo has access to Silence, and Orim's Chant which in many situations they will be better than a counterspell.

...for control also has Autumn's Veil, City of Solitude, and Enchantress's Presence. Is that the correct list you were referring to?

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

It was. I wanted to know where you were coming from before I make any other comments. Thank you for the reply this time.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Sep 2016
    Fredericksburg, VA

Hey folks / Freggle,

I've been picking up the pieces for Enchantress for a while now and have most of the shell cards. I stumbled over to this thread from page 236 of Enchantress / Solitaire. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to build yer "Opal-Wave" version, which looks quite fun, or a more traditional enchantress deck.

Can you guys weigh in on which you think would be a better fit for me?

I'm admittedly not good at staying with one weapon for very long. Love to build and brew but don't get in a lot of reps or testing in. I play LGS once a week or less and the occasional tourney - paper only. I've found a distaste for decks that have a particularly long learning curve.

I'm moderately competitive so I'd like some consistency and something that isn't too much a dog in common matchups. More-so however, I'm a non-traditionalist and get a kick out of fringe & left field decks that my opponents don't know how to play against. My most recent frolics: Eldrazi mimic - stiflenought / Mono black and then B/G Stax / U/R Painter.

I'm in it for the fun, the surprise factor, and hopefully a relatively competitive deck that doesn't require a top level technician to pilot and still get some W's.

So, what do you guys think? More established Enchantress or this beauty?

Cheers,
    vanbrueo

you totally want City of Solitude, Sterling Grove and Seal of Cleansing.

I understand Grove kills Wave combo but you can always sacrifice it when you are around that time.

Also, aren't more Leyline just strictly better? 2-3 Leyline online since the beginning, Serra's Sanctum into Opalescence or the new 5 mana one.. you can swing for 10 turn 2 and Sterling Grove is just enough to seal it.

Additionally: all Leylines provide utility to the strategy and Crop Rotation gives you the consistency you seek for when you need Sanctum

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Latest Version. Extremely consistent, and fun.

Main:
    5 Forest
    3 Plains
    2 Savannah
    4 Serra's Sanctum
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Wooded Foothills

4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Commune with the Gods
    4 Sylvan Library
    4 Sterling Grove
    2 Oblivion Ring
    3 Enchantress's Presence
    4 Kruphix's Insight
    2 Replenish
    4 Opalescence
    4 Parallax Wave
    1 Starfield of Nyx

SB
    2 Banishing Light
    4 Eidolon of Rhetoric
    3 Leyline of Sancitity
    3 Carpet of Flowers
    3 Sphere of Resistance

...could likely use Karakas, but was trying to keep the mana base to as many basics as possible. Least used card is Carpet of Flowers.

I tried this in a league last night. D&T seems like a very tough matchup although I did get a concession game one when I finally assembled the combo. Exiling all their creatures is very satisfying. Revoker (and now Recruiter->Revoker) naming Wave, Flickerwisp killing the land enchantments, Port tapping down lands...it's a struggle for sure.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

I tried this in a league last night. D&T seems like a very tough matchup although I did get a concession game one when I finally assembled the combo. Exiling all their creatures is very satisfying. Revoker (and now Recruiter->Revoker) naming Wave, Flickerwisp killing the land enchantments, Port tapping down lands...it's a struggle for sure.
    Yes. I agree that D&T is on the hit list to solve for sure. I typically load-up on Banishing Lights and Oblivion Rings, and try and combo, but your right it's hard. Too hard. Though I can win. Although it typically involves lucky Orings or abusing Replenish. This may be a deck where having access to Humility makes sense. Judges worst nightmare Humility and Opalescence in the same deck.

May 2013
    NAS Oceana

Hey Freggle, I wanted to ask. Is Serra's Sanctum really the way to go with this deck, are we really really trying to hit a critical mass or are we just trying to find the pieces, apply pressure and end things from there?

What I have in mind of replacing are the Serra's Sanctums, Utopia Sprawls, and Wild Growth (12 cards).
    What to bring in would be 4 Ancient Tombs / 2-3 City of Traitors / 3 Chrome Mox (9-10).

Which Should open up more space for other things.

It'll allow us to power out out spells faster, and assemble them sooner.
    Sideboarding will also allow us to have a potential play of Turn 1 Trinisphere or turn 1 Chalice at 1.

There's even a potential...
    T1: Tomb > Mox > Commune (toss away Opal / Wave)
    T2: Land > Replenish

Thanks.
    Legacy: GWR Enchantress (2010-Current)
    I'm also always looking for friendly players in League of Legends IGN Dread Return, doesn't have to be competitive, just be nice and friendly.
    [S3 - Diamond, S4 - Diamond, S5 - Diamond, Current Season - Diamond] Primary role Support, Secondary MID Lane, Alternate Jungle.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Hey Freggle, I wanted to ask. Is Serra's Sanctum really the way to go with this deck, are we really really trying to hit a critical mass or are we just trying to find the pieces, apply pressure and end things from there?

What I have in mind of replacing are the Serra's Sanctums, Utopia Sprawls, and Wild Growth (12 cards).
    What to bring in would be 4 Ancient Tombs / 2-3 City of Traitors / 3 Chrome Mox (9-10).

Which Should open up more space for other things.

It'll allow us to power out out spells faster, and assemble them sooner.
    Sideboarding will also allow us to have a potential play of Turn 1 Trinisphere or turn 1 Chalice at 1.

There's even a potential...
    T1: Tomb > Mox > Commune (toss away Opal / Wave)
    T2: Land > Replenish

Thanks.
    This is possible, and has had some development here.

To be honest I never played the OP's list in that thread. What I see is if you want to use the dig Engine of Kruphix's Insight and Commune with the Gods your hate pieces will just fall to the yard, and you'll have a greater chance of whiffing. You are also more exposed to Wasteland, and could get waste-locked under your own 3ball. ...but again these are untested concerns.

Ah, when I first read the name of the deck I was expecting some crazy ramp-prison deck with Mox Opals and Genesis Wave... cool concept.

[Developmental] GW Opal-Wave

Quick question for you guys!
    What if the opponent target Opalescence and not Parrallex Wave? You cannot save both right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information