Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Deathblade

Re: [Deck] Deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by pipet76 View Post
    Thanks a lot for your reply!

You’re probably right regarding the 3 TNN. I could fit a Clique over there.

The thing about Jace is that I think that he’s only good against control (Miracles and Shardless) in all the other matches he just sits there.

On the other hand if I do enter some goyfs (lets say 2) I’ll probably need another Tropical that could replace the tar pit.

I was also reluctant to S Veredict as well, but it has won me a lot of games lately in moments when my life total was kind of important: U/R Delver, Shardless, Grixis. I used to use Explosives (way to slow and we have already decay) and E Plague (which was not that effective).

I’d also prefer another fluster, but I only have one
    Wait what? I don't remember saying anything about cutting TNN. 3 is a good number!! I wouldn't recommend going down to two.

I don't necessarily agree with that assessment of jace. He's a great finisher against most decks. I find i win about 80%-90% of games i'm able to untap with him in play. His brainstorming just puts you so far ahead late game.

Goyfs may be tough on your manabase. I'd recommend looking into gurmag angler/tombstalker as alternatives. Cheap fatties but less taxing on your manabase. That way you can cut the tarpit and go down to 21 lands without being too worried about colors. Another plus for these guys is that they avoid abrupt decay. If your opponent doesn't have STP or a bigger fattie these guys can be difficult to deal with.

I don't know those situations exactly, but remember this, youre casting deluge a full turn earlier than you are casting verdict, potentially even turn 2 with deathrite if things go really sideways. Maybe life would be less of an issue because you can cast deluge a turn earlier and avoid an entire attack step by an opponent?

Okay that's fine, maybe take out meddling mage for another pithing needle? Pithing needle has game against most decks in the format so its a good utility sideboard card.

Hi again!

You’re probably right. Goyfs are not worth it.

The reason why I’m playing 3 MMage is that 4 very friendly players in my meta are playing storm (and I don’t have a canonist). Since I’m playing 3 of them I have had no trouble beating them.

I agree with Tombstalker as well. I think I’ll play one instead of the Leovold, that way I don’t have to worry for a green source except for ADecay.

Are you sure that going to 21 lands (and playing 3 basics) is going to work? I agree that tar pit is not that great, but I was thinking about playing a 3rd U Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by pipet76 View Post
    Hi again!

You’re probably right. Goyfs are not worth it.

The reason why I’m playing 3 MMage is that 4 very friendly players in my meta are playing storm (and I don’t have a canonist). Since I’m playing 3 of them I have had no trouble beating them.

I agree with Tombstalker as well. I think I’ll play one instead of the Leovold, that way I don’t have to worry for a green source except for ADecay.

Are you sure that going to 21 lands (and playing 3 basics) is going to work? I agree that tar pit is not that great, but I was thinking about playing a 3rd U Sea.
    Fair enough on the MM, it’s a metagame call.

I really do like leovold, I only play one green source and I’m stretching to slot one of him in. He’s just so good and you can T2 him with deathrite. Here’s my advice to you, sit down and think about all the interactions that he makes awkward. Port, wasteland, thoughtseize, SOFI, jitte, deathrite, STP, AD, fatal push, and any burn spell to name a few. Basically any time your opponent tries to reach across the table and mess with you or your board they give you a card. And it gets better. He shuts off opposing cantrips! Brainstorm is bad, ponder becomes sorcery speed divining top, and spells like glimpse of nature just flat out don't work. If it’s between him and tombstalker I’d rather have leovold honestly. TNN is already a beater so I’d rather have the utility of leovold.

Incidentally its great against storm as each copy of tendrils targets you, so draw like 10 cards! You would need more flusterstorms or mindbreak trap to properly leverage this advantage though since MM doesn’t cut it in this scenario.

Eh to be fair my manabase and your manabase are really different. You can see my list on the previous page. I’m probably more of a 3.5 color deck, the lone trop is only there for DRS(anti graveyard shenanigans) and the SB ADs. But you do have 4 DRS and 6 cantrips so I’d say going down to 21 is probably doable. So if you were going to cut something I’d say cut a land. Regardless of whether you cut that land or not, just remember you are running a greedy 4 color manabase with wastelands(AND BASICS) so you shouldn’t be too surprised if mana problems arise.

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

Re: [Deck] Esper Deathblade

BUG is getting stronger right now. So I have to work on a list witch works better against any BUG deck. Going down to 3 Force of Will, more Baleful Strix, Snapcaster Mage and Jace are the first cards I want add. Also my Sideboard gets a make over. Additional Snapcaster should do it and more Abrupt Decay. Any other suggestions ?

Re: [Deck] Esper Deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by Neo900 View Post
    BUG is getting stronger right now. So I have to work on a list witch works better against any BUG deck. Going down to 3 Force of Will, more Baleful Strix, Snapcaster Mage and Jace are the first cards I want add. Also my Sideboard gets a make over. Additional Snapcaster should do it and more Abrupt Decay. Any other suggestions ?

I don't see much bug in my meta so i admit to not being super experienced, but its a pretty wide archetype. If we're talking about the non-shardless variants i'd imagine fatal push is probably quite good in this matchup. Kills most of their critters as far as i'm aware, i think its probably the best goyf killer printed. Some bug decks run TNN now though so i guess be ready for that. Costs one less mana which is probably a good thing since i think most bug decks are on 4 wastelands? Makes snapping it back a lot easier as well. Still have no idea what we're supposed to do against shardless, i'm just grateful i've never had to face it thus far.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Shardless,non shardless, aluren and bug nic fit are the most bug decks around here. I'm back to lingering souls. the synergy between souls and liliana is too strong and so much value. Someone told me he wouldn't play Decay main. This would offer me more slots but I think Decay is important as an allrounder.

Shardless,non shardless, aluren and bug nic fit are the most bug decks around here. I'm back to lingering souls. the synergy between souls and liliana is too strong and so much value. Someone told me he wouldn't play Decay main. This would offer me more slots but I think Decay is important as an allrounder.
    I wouldn't cut Decay at all, only if you find that having access to green is hard in your meta.

Against Shardless both Leovold and Notion Thief are excellent (Notion T a lot more since they can't decay it). Against BUG in general I'd say Perish, but that would mean killing ur DRS as well.

Guys, how do we beat Eldrazi? Chalice + ramp + big fat dudes is proving to be too much for me.

Right off the bat, I’d say that eldrazi is all around a rough matchup for us. I actually swapped decks with an eldrazi player in my store and we played against each other to get a better feel for how each other’s decks worked. So everything I’m saying here is based off that experience playing the deck and talking to him about it.

I think the easiest/most effective way to screw eldrazi is to fool around with their manabase. Wastelanding any one of their sol lands can really slow them down, it can pose more of a problem than you'd think. I personally run 2 wasteland, but if your meta is crawling with eldrazi consider 3 or even 4 copies. Wastelanding eldrazi even once markedly improved my win rate because it slows their deck down so much and makes the city of traitors they have in hand awks.

TNN is also good in this matchup as it can stall out early threats, and allow you to survive a big reality smasher hit, but you will have to stabilize after that. TNN will most likely need a jitte to really grab control of the board and kill that smasher. Also bear in mind that they will do significant damage to themselves via ancient tomb so TNN has to do a lot less work than he normally would have to.

Honestly I don’t think chalice on 1 is that big of a problem. Chalice on 1 pops up a lot in other decks, just prepare for that. I think the real problem is the follow up T2 Thought-knot seer. It’s a thoughtsieze on a 4/4 body. A lot of the time it takes the jitte I just tutored for with stoneforge or some other applicable piece of hate. Wastelanding their T1 sol land takes this play away from them. I’m convinced it’s one of the major reasons I won games where I saw wasteland.

Toxic deluge is pretty good against them, but it can be painful to cast. I just find that supreme verdict is a bit too slow and too color intensive against a deck that runs 4 wastelands.

Meddling mages are also good naming reality smasher most likely. I think their only kill spell for it is dismember. In this case paying the 4 life can actual be pretty painful as they’re already committing a lot of life to ancient tomb.

I don’t personally run it, but gurmag angler/tombstalker seem good here. They’ll eat all the smaller eldrazi and trade at parity with reality smasher.

All in all it’s a pretty rough matchup though. I’m just thankful that as a whole the deck is on the downswing.

Re: [Deck]Esper Deathblade

TNN only stops 1 point of damage from Smasher.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Saying Chalice on 1 isn't a problem because it pops up in a lot of other decks isn't really making much sense. 'Just prepare for it' how?

Turn 1 Shaman is crucial for us, that's gone.

Brainstorm to dig for answers, gone.

Early disruption to steal their fatties, gone.

The only removal that deals with TKS and Smasher aside from Council's Judgment / Vindicate, gone.

So I guess I'll just... cut all those spells? Yes, FOW stops it but that's our only shot on the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    TNN only stops 1 point of damage from Smasher.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Ya which why it needs help from a jitte most likely. TNN does stall out the non-trampling eldrazi though which gives you some breathing room to take a big hit from a reality smasher then stabalize the next turn. Just have to make sure your jitte or other equipment doesn't get grabbed by the thought-knot. Always seems to happen to me

Quote Originally Posted by whocansay View Post
    Saying Chalice on 1 isn't a problem because it pops up in a lot of other decks isn't really making much sense. 'Just prepare for it' how?

Turn 1 Shaman is crucial for us, that's gone.

Brainstorm to dig for answers, gone.

Early disruption to steal their fatties, gone.

The only removal that deals with TKS and Smasher aside from Council's Judgment / Vindicate, gone.

So I guess I'll just... cut all those spells? Yes, FOW stops it but that's our only shot on the draw.
    You misunderstand me. I probably should have said something like "chalice isn't a novel threat." I didn't go into detail because it's in other decks so you should already have plans against it. So you would just have to implement that plan, whatever it is. Typically its a FoW, maybe an abrupt decay(dicey in this case since they have wasteland). Chalice on the play is rough for us, as far as i know its FoW or bust essentially. Apologies for what maybe felt like a demeaning answer, but chalice is a pretty simple uninteractive threat. You just have to stop it at all costs or all the threats/removal you listed is gone and our deck ceases to function.

Generally my list runs 4x FoW/2x Spell pierce to deal with it in the main, but i'm a pretty control heavy list so that's how i deal with chalice. I don't have to board against it as heavily i guess since i have the tools to stop it maindeck. I don't know what your list looks like though so it may involve way more boarding than mine

Quote Originally Posted by First_Revenge View Post
    Right off the bat, I’d say that eldrazi is all around a rough matchup for us. I actually swapped decks with an eldrazi player in my store and we played against each other to get a better feel for how each other’s decks worked. So everything I’m saying here is based off that experience playing the deck and talking to him about it.

I think the easiest/most effective way to screw eldrazi is to fool around with their manabase. Wastelanding any one of their sol lands can really slow them down, it can pose more of a problem than you'd think. I personally run 2 wasteland, but if your meta is crawling with eldrazi consider 3 or even 4 copies. Wastelanding eldrazi even once markedly improved my win rate because it slows their deck down so much and makes the city of traitors they have in hand awks.

TNN is also good in this matchup as it can stall out early threats, and allow you to survive a big reality smasher hit, but you will have to stabilize after that. TNN will most likely need a jitte to really grab control of the board and kill that smasher. Also bear in mind that they will do significant damage to themselves via ancient tomb so TNN has to do a lot less work than he normally would have to.

Honestly I don’t think chalice on 1 is that big of a problem. Chalice on 1 pops up a lot in other decks, just prepare for that. I think the real problem is the follow up T2 Thought-knot seer. It’s a thoughtsieze on a 4/4 body. A lot of the time it takes the jitte I just tutored for with stoneforge or some other applicable piece of hate. Wastelanding their T1 sol land takes this play away from them. I’m convinced it’s one of the major reasons I won games where I saw wasteland.

Toxic deluge is pretty good against them, but it can be painful to cast. I just find that supreme verdict is a bit too slow and too color intensive against a deck that runs 4 wastelands.

Meddling mages are also good naming reality smasher most likely. I think their only kill spell for it is dismember. In this case paying the 4 life can actual be pretty painful as they’re already committing a lot of life to ancient tomb.

I don’t personally run it, but gurmag angler/tombstalker seem good here. They’ll eat all the smaller eldrazi and trade at parity with reality smasher.

All in all it’s a pretty rough matchup though. I’m just thankful that as a whole the deck is on the downswing.
    If you play my list, it is actually quite a good match-up (i must have won around 80% of my games against eldrazi). Your best cards against them are Baleful Strix, Swords to Plowshares (Snapcaster Mage) and Stoneforge Mystic. Post sideboard you want the abrupt decays in for the chalice's, tiny eldrazi's, jitte and grim monlith (if they run) and you want Life from the Loam to wasteland lock them.

Post sideboard you want to take out force of will (because of cavern of souls) and 1 Jace (it's somewhat slow sometimes) and in come +4 Abrupt Decay and 1 Life from the Loam. Beware of All is Dust, it is a way you can lose.

List: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/552233#online

Quote Originally Posted by whocansay View Post
    Guys, how do we beat Eldrazi? Chalice + ramp + big fat dudes is proving to be too much for me.
    The way that I construct Deathblade, I just fold to Eldrazi. My play WOULD be to win the roll and go first in the first and third games. Play drs into true name. Keep wastelands and force their key threat. Like Mud, they can be trapped by poor topdecks, so the key is to win the first 3 or 4 turns.

Like I said, my build folds to Eldrazi. I don't run Abrupt decay or Baleful strix. Jace is too slow, and Chalice is a beating. I also run 2 wastelands rather than 3 or 4.

I think eldrazi has largely been on the down swing; especially with the increase of bug decks. But, if their are dedicated eldrazi players near you, you have to run the build with Abrupt decay, and maybe Liliana and Lingering Souls. Spell Snare would be a great inclusion for you as well.

For me, I chose to build my deck to have game against Wasteland decks, miracles, and the general large tournament field.

For me, the most common foes that present problems are shardless, jund, maverick and aggro loam. I don't know that I could warp my deck much more and not start losing to delver decks and miracles more often.

Can we see your list ClimbGneiss?

Apr 2016
    Germnay

I played our weekly and we were 6 people and played 3 rounds. I become first with this list:

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Spell Snare
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Counterspell
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Liliana of the Veil

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest

4 Polluted Delta
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Flooded Strand
    2 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Swamp
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou

SB:
    2 Vendilion Clique
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Baleful Strix
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Surgical Extraction

I played against Elves 2-1, NicFit 2-0 and Infect 2-1.

Elves:
    Zealous Persecution, Deluge and Pithing Needle are very important. As additional removal you have Abrupt Decay. Thoughtseize is also quite good to disrupt the opponent.
    Liliana, Jace, Batterskull are all cards which are quite slow and need more time to set up.

NicFit:
    Swords on Explorer slows them down a lot. The rest of the game I counter their big creatures. Snapcaster was great with Counterspell.
    Pithing Needle and Baleful Strix are quite good. Needle to stop Top or Deed and Strix trades very well with fatties.
    Spell Snare and Pierce are okay but I think Strix is better. Spell Snare hits nothing except GSZ x=1. Spell Pierce is okay but usually they have so much mana they could pay it.

Infect:
    Jace is very slow and the life gain from Batterskull is useless. But Decay and Thoughtseize is great.

I like this list so far. Maybe I cut a 4th SFM and the sword for more aggressive cards. Maybe bitterblossom is back ? I missed Painful Truth or I bring in Thoughtseize again and Inquisition for sideboarding ?
    Last edited by Neo900; 02-15-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Played in a 13 man last friday and went 4-0, my LGS is very very competitive with mostly tier 1-1.5 decks and then a lot of crazy combo decks, we have many people who have done very well at GPs and other big events including the delver player who was the only loss for Reid Duke at GP Lui, with that said this night was not quite as crazy as they usually are with several of our most competitive players either not there on different decks or just playing standard.

Anyway my decklist was as follows.

3 Artifact

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Engineered Explosives

14 Creature

3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Tombstalker
    1 Baleful Strix
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Vendilion Clique

1 Enchantment

1 Sylvan Library

14 Instant

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Spell Pierce

21 Land

1 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Karakas
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Marsh Flats
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    2 Tundra
    2 Wasteland
    1 Scrubland

2 Planeswalker

2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

5 Sorcery

2 Thoughtseize
    2 Ponder
    1 Hymn to Tourach

15 Sideboard

SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Nihil Spellbomb
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 2 Dread of Night
    SB: 2 Mana Maze
    SB: 1 Swords to Plowshares
    SB: 1 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Zealous Persecution
    SB: 1 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 1 Invasive Surgery
    SB: 1 Garruk Relentless
    SB: 1 Thoughtseize
    SB: 1 Painful Truths

Now i really want to have 2-3 Snapcaster Mage in the deck, with combo on the rise now with all the fair decks running around the card is nuts, not only can it buy you turns vs combo, it is great against fair decks and it gives you another more sublte way of gaining card advantage and also options, i also really want to try Liliana MB and another Spell Pierce or Spell Snare, both are great options, but otherwise i am very satisfied with my MB right now.

But with the changes i mentioned above i think this is where i would want to be with my SB, i think surgical is in an amazing spot right now especially with snapcaster flashing it back, it is absolutely brutal against miracles as well as being good at stripping many decks down to their most basic threats, or simply making your threats easier to stick by grabbing FoW or removal spells, it helps you constrict your opponents options.

15 Sideboard

SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Dread of Night
    SB: 2 Mana Maze
    SB: 1 Swords to Plowshares
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Garruk Relentless
    SB: 1 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 1 Thoughtseize
    SB: 1 Painful Truths

Also i recommend anyone wanting to fuck with elves really hard to try Mana Maze, the card absolutely obliterates them, it is also very flexible and can shut down more decks than you might think, yes it's not the extreme hoser that some cards are against all combo decks but it gives them a really hard time and often makes it so if they try to combo off without planning the hell out of their turn near impossible, or just impossible anyway, plus it isn't a fire and forget thing it's something they have to consider for the rest of the game.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

I was very suprised how smoth my 3 snapcaster list runs. I think my sideboard I had is not optimal. More grave hate also surgical is too good.
    Your list reminds me on my own until today.
    I guess we are focusing on to much. We want decay, creature removal, disruption, counter, card advantage and a fast clock. With the list I posted above we focus on a more simplier structure and are able to release pressure from the mana base, less greedy.
    I want to change minor things but overall I'm impressed by this list. The greedy main board is the standard and very common but I guess, right now we can push all the greedy things towards sideboard, and get a more stable and consistent main board.
    I'm a fan of grindy games creature against creature, clock against clock. The 4 Stoneforge Mystic package is a meta call but besides that I wonder how rare I draw one of them. Also I think that 3 Equipment cause into drawing one of them and our sfm can't gain important card advantage.
    I will work for now on this controlish, less greedy list. I have two weeks until the next big event. The biggest issue right now is that I take long with this list to get something done. I don't have this "I win button" like miracles. Is Monastery Mentor an option ? 2 copies seem with a lot of Snapcaster Mages quite strong. The Mentor can draw some attention while on board and force the opponent to remove him while we can just do our stuff and generate tokens.

I was very suprised how smoth my 3 snapcaster list runs. I think my sideboard I had is not optimal. More grave hate also surgical is too good.
    Your list reminds me on my own until today.
    I guess we are focusing on to much. We want decay, creature removal, disruption, counter, card advantage and a fast clock. With the list I posted above we focus on a more simplier structure and are able to release pressure from the mana base, less greedy.

I completely agree with having snaps, i would be running them but i just don't have any right now, and as far as how greedy the deck is i think it could be worse, a lot of decks don't have the option and with us we really get to be as greedy or as stable as we want, so i think if you are having issues with it you can really just tune your list to the need.

I want to change minor things but overall I'm impressed by this list. The greedy main board is the standard and very common but I guess, right now we can push all the greedy things towards sideboard, and get a more stable and consistent main board.

Yeah this is def an option, i honestly have been considering going to 1 green source and just going stronger on the white for council and maybe just dropping 1-2 decays in the side, i think with the snaps and surgicals the miracles matchup will be good enough without the decays, though i think i need more testing to confirm or deny that hunch.

I'm a fan of grindy games creature against creature, clock against clock. The 4 Stoneforge Mystic package is a meta call but besides that I wonder how rare I draw one of them. Also I think that 3 Equipment cause into drawing one of them and our sfm can't gain important card advantage.
    I will work for now on this controlish, less greedy list. I have two weeks until the next big event. The biggest issue right now is that I take long with this list to get something done. I don't have this "I win button" like miracles. Is Monastery Mentor an option ? 2 copies seem with a lot of Snapcaster Mages quite strong. The Mentor can draw some attention while on board and force the opponent to remove him while we can just do our stuff and generate tokens.

Personally i think we are the wrong kind of deck for mentor, just with us not really having any easy ways to abuse him like miracles does, and my personal opinion is that 3 equipment MB is mostly for stoneblade decks, but that could just be that i like being equipment light, sometimes i run SoFaI in my SB but that just depends on how many fair blue decks i am seeing, for me i would probably never run 4 SFM but that's cause i like spreading my threats out a little more, less eggs in one basket so to speak, but honestly mentor could be worth testing, if you find it works for you i would love to see it do well, i just feel it's to big of an investment when we could just be resolving TNN.

I feel like this deck really just wants to play like a control deck more than anything else, it's slower than any of the other midrange decks and it is less controlly than miracles or stoneblade, but i feel like what i lacks in these areas it makes up by being incredibly flexible, i honestly think it's one of the most flexible decks in the format right now considering how much the MB and SB can be tuned, but i also think that's what keeps it from being a top deck right now, it gives up having a super strong game plan by trying to deal with every kind of situation that it could run into, and deploying a wide arsenal of threats, instead of being precision focused like all the tier 1 decks, but honestly that's what made me fall in love with the deck.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Re: [Deck]Esper Deathblade

You are totally right. I thought longer about Mentor instead of common things like Bitterblossom and Lingering Souls.
    More Snapcaster offers many new situations.
    I moved the Strix to main and cut sfm and sofai. For the sideboard I added an extra surgical and Bitterblossom

Thread Information