Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying in to Vintage

Buying in to Vintage

Anyone have any advice on how to get into Vintage the cheapest? I'd like to start buying some power to play at Vintage Champs at Gen Con. So far I'm just trying to get it through eBay, but was hoping there were some other suggestions. I'm not really looking for anything but playable Unlimited at this point.

Any suggestions regarding deck choice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Re: Buying in to Vintage

Check out TMD. I'm super lazy right now but when I'm feeling less lazy (tomorrow) I'll have a bunch of answers for you.

Welcome to the club! The format is in great shape and currently just as diverse as Legacy.

Here's a tournament I attended over the past weekend, so you can get an idea of how diverse the meta is right now/deck names for Google.

Morphling.de is a great resource for T8 deck lists across the entire world.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Dis iz da WAAAGH!
    Jan 2007
    Chicagoland

If you don't mind it, buy HP. And try to deal shop. I bought my moxen at in order 250 G,300 W,400 B(it was minty),225 G,225 R,250 B, and 250 U. AND the second Jet and the Sapphire were only last year. Power is kinda plateaued right now.
    DCI Lvl II Judge

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

I won a Recall at a Vintage event and got the bug (Gunslinga you were there I believe). So far I've only bought a Lotus and some Mana Drains. I'd really like to play Panther Stax, but so far away.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    I won a Recall at a Vintage event and got the bug (Gunslinga you were there I believe). So far I've only bought a Lotus and some Mana Drains. I'd really like to play Panther Stax, but so far away.
    Much the same, I had no interest in Sanctioned legal Vintage deck until I won my first piece of power (Sapphire :D), then started buying the other pieces along the way when I found the price and condition I liked.

Give yourself about 2-3 years to finish the set - it's definitely a slow process. Even longer if you intend on playing Cat Stax (Workshops are also pricey)
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thanks for the tips. That's basically what I'm seeing. I've basically been given a free pass to go to GenCon every year, and while there, I want to play as much MTG as possible, so my goal is to play in Vintage Champs. This year might be a dredge sort of year as Bazaars seem a lot easier to pick up for reasonable prices. But I think my goal is going to be working towards a decent set of power.

Has anyone done much with taking SCG prize winnings and turning them into power? I know SCGs prices are pretty high on pwoer, but they do give extra in prize if you take credit over cash. Was thinking about doing that.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

When I scoped out their inventory last November, it was sparse. It's almost better to just take the cash option and find your own sellers.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

this is how I started getting into vintage.

It was a modern PTQ in sunny costa mesa. The women's club was filled with as much BO and throat farts as 1 human body could handle. After scrubbing out hard I decided during the lunch break I would acquire some alcohol and pop from the nearby convenience market. After purchasing a fools bounty in Jack Daniels and Coke I returned to the event to begin drinking with my friends. One buzz lead to another and I was selling all my standard/modern staples that I didnt need for legacy and putting a little cash down on a Mox Emerald and a Time Twister.

boom, bug acquired. So now Im almost there with a trade for a few more pieces and I've picked up drains/libraries etc along the way. Love this damn format its so good.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by CorpT View Post
    Any suggestions regarding deck choice?
    I think buying Blue power is the best "investment" from the standpoint of playing. With it, you can make a great deal of completely different decks.

Bazaars and Shops only lend themselves to a very limited variety of decks, really.

If i went to make a "buy order" of money cards to get into Vintage, I think it would be something like this:

1.) Duals
    2.) Black Lotus
    3.) Mox Sapphire
    4.) Mox Jet
    5.) Mox Ruby
    6.) Ancestral Recall
    7.) Time Walk
    8.) Mox Emerald
    9.) Mox Pearl
    10.) Time Vault
    11.) Bazaar of Baghdad
    12.) Mishra's Workshop

Maybe Recall should be higher than Ruby, maybe Time Walk too. If it was me though, I would get full jewelry first, then Recall, but it is up to you, depending on what decks you really want to play.

Here's a tournament I attended over the past weekend, so you can get an idea of how diverse the meta is right now/deck names for Google.
    Indeed, we here in the NE are lucky to have a good, vibrant Vintage scene. I went 1-3 at that event and it was still a pretty good time really.

I happened to get "lucky" and pick up most of my power all at one time, I played something like 3 grand for everything but a Jet, with 2 Bazaars and and Shop as well (all in good shape too). Saved a bit of money that way, but granted not everyone is going to get an offer like that.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

I'm waiting to pop my Black Lotus cherry until the end

I had Power, grinded most of it, and am now regretting it a little bit. I think having a legal deck at Gen Con this year is out of the question, but will look to do so in the following year.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by ElricTheWhiteWolf View Post
    I think buying Blue power is the best "investment" from the standpoint of playing. With it, you can make a great deal of completely different decks.

Bazaars and Shops only lend themselves to a very limited variety of decks, really.

If i went to make a "buy order" of money cards to get into Vintage, I think it would be something like this:

1.) Duals
    2.) Black Lotus
    3.) Mox Sapphire
    4.) Mox Jet
    5.) Mox Ruby
    6.) Ancestral Recall
    7.) Time Walk
    8.) Mox Emerald
    9.) Mox Pearl
    10.) Time Vault
    11.) Bazaar of Baghdad
    12.) Mishra's Workshop

Maybe Recall should be higher than Ruby, maybe Time Walk too. If it was me though, I would get full jewelry first, then Recall, but it is up to you, depending on what decks you really want to play.

Indeed, we here in the NE are lucky to have a good, vibrant Vintage scene. I went 1-3 at that event and it was still a pretty good time really.

I happened to get "lucky" and pick up most of my power all at one time, I played something like 3 grand for everything but a Jet, with 2 Bazaars and and Shop as well (all in good shape too). Saved a bit of money that way, but granted not everyone is going to get an offer like that.
    I'd say
    #1 Lotus- Only Dredge doesn't run Lotus and even some Dredge lists run it.
    #2 Sapphire
    #3 Recall
    #4 Time Walk
    #5 Jet
    #6+7 Ruby/Emerald
    Then Pearl, Workshops, Bazaars, Drains, Vault, and such depending on what types of decks you like to play.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

May 2011
    New Zealand

I also want to buy into Vintage, but I'm working less this year (to focus more on study), and won't have the funds. Maybe I should sell my foiled out TES... =/

Vintage is awesome. I've sold my power a couple of times since college, but started buying back in last fall. I've picked up

jet, emerald, pearl, time walk, timetwister all beta and played ... the premium for near mint or mint power is absurd especially if you intend to put them in sleeves and shuffle ... I haven't found the right deal on a beta lotus, ruby, sapphire and ancestral yet, maybe something will turn up at origins or gencon.

We played some vintage at the local store this weekend and I busted out Dark Hate Bears ... it was pretty fun. I either crushed (shops, landstill) or got my ball sack stomped (doomsday, bant) or barely lost (oath).

That's where I'm struggling. Because, in general I completely agree with your lists. I had one similar. The problem is that if I buy in on Bazaars now, for about the price of 1 or 2 Moxen and less than the cost of a Lotus, I can be in and playing. If I wait and get the pieces in the more proper order, I'll be waiting for a lot longer to even get in.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by CorpT View Post
    That's where I'm struggling. Because, in general I completely agree with your lists. I had one similar. The problem is that if I buy in on Bazaars now, for about the price of 1 or 2 Moxen and less than the cost of a Lotus, I can be in and playing. If I wait and get the pieces in the more proper order, I'll be waiting for a lot longer to even get in.
    Well, you are right. You have to do what you feel is going to get you where you want to be in the time frame you want to be there.

If you want to "fast track" into Sanctioned, Bazaars are a good way to do so. Once you do get blue Power, you can even bring them over to that side eventually and play Dragon, if you want.

Or just buy beta Savannahs and play hateful bears. Then use your Savannahs in Legacy.

Bears with venom, Bears that bind, Bears used like weapons to cloud my mind.

When was the last time TMWA or Christmas Beatings was competitive? It doesn't seem like a lot has changed. If anything, metamorph is probably a better answer than stingscourger now.

If you don't run recruiters it's a fairly cheap deck to assemble and super fun if you're a sadist like myself.

I haven't had the finances or the willpower to play a "real" deck since I sold my alpha time vault for like $90 pre-un-errata.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    When was the last time TMWA or Christmas Beatings was competitive? It doesn't seem like a lot has changed. If anything, metamorph is probably a better answer than stingscourger now.
    Ozymandias swears by Mountains in Vintage. I think he's just a bit loco myself, but he has fun.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Laying a turn one Волхв Луны or Кровавая луна is usually GG in vintage. Shops can pull out of it, but the same decks that run those two cards usually run Viashino-Ketzer ... and he absolutely stomps shops.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post

If you don't run recruiters it's a fairly cheap deck to assemble and super fun if you're a sadist like myself.

I haven't had the finances or the willpower to play a "real" deck since I sold my alpha time vault for like $90 pre-un-errata.
    John Jones won an event with RG beats last year. Versus good competition too, he beat P. Mas. in the finals to take it down. Here is the Tournament Report.

Thread Information