Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mentor Miracle

Re: Mentor Miracle

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post
    @B88:
    I guess you should mention that your 3 STP//4 Terminus split is a meta call. Depending on the amount of Swarm Aggro 4 STP//3 Terminus might be the correct call - even more so, since STP triggers MM and is a sweet SCM target.
    well i would play the 4th Swords instead of Pyro but i would never cut Terminus because if you want it, does mean that you can't deal with all those creatures. Notably sometimes you can cast your Mentor and wait until your opponent deploy more creatures and than sweep them all with terminus.

Another tournament another Top!

44 players

T1 Bant Deathblade 2-1

T2 Maverick 2-0

T3 Miracle 2-0

T4 Burn 0-2

T5 Aluren 2-0

T6 ID

Top8
    Infect 2-0

easy split

with this tournament is the 5th tournament in raw that i reach the Top8. The 60 maideck cards were the same, just need to check some sb options

new updates dude!!!!

Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Mar 2014

Thank you so much for this update Claudio!
    I've test for one month this one:

// UWB Mentor

// 60 Mazzo
    // 1 Artifact
    1 Engineered Explosives

// 7 Creature
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Monastery Mentor

// 20 Instant
    1 Unexpectedly Absent
    2 Predict
    3 Counterspell
    3 Daze
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will

// 20 Land
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Plains
    3 Island
    3 Tundra
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta

// 2 Planeswalker
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

// 10 Sorcery
    3 Portent
    3 Terminus
    4 Ponder

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Creature
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Vendilion Clique

// 7 Instant
    SB: 2 Disenchant
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 1 Hydroblast
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction

// 5 Sorcery
    SB: 2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    SB: 2 Thoughtseize
    SB: 1 Toxic Deluge

And, for sure, is strong vs combo.
    I suffer Leovold anyway..because only 3 Terminus sometimes are not in top at the right moment.
    For now, with 2 Jace, I'm very solid because of some decks like Moon Stompy and Eldrazi are relevant presence in my meta and he have so strong topdeck (and Portent on this deck it's so strong)..the win by ultimatum is a good option.

Now I want to follow your advice, trying 1 Jace.

Nice update Claudio! Just curious, given how rampant Grixis Delver is, what's the reason behind 3 StPs instead of 4? I would like to hear more from you

Mar 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    Great news!

Johannes Gutbrod 1st place at mkm series in Prague with Mentor Miracles.
    Kevin Wagner top 4 at mkm series in Prague with Miracle (lose in semi-finals from Johannes).

Congrats to the players!
    Unexpectedly result?

Repost this from the Miracle topic in Deck to Beat section.
    Congrats guys for the great work about the Mentor archetype.
    This result give no doubt.

Super top!

Thanks Claudio and congrats to Johannes who created and won with this list at the MKM!

I understand the point you are trying to raise about have dazes maindeck. Would like to ask how liberal are you guys casting it? Will you cast as and when there is a chance to? or you guys tend to use it more to counter key spells.

E.g. You are on the play, lay land, ponder pass turn with daze in hand. How often will you daze a turn one spell from your opponent? Exploration, yes. What about a delver deck playing a turn one ponder? Can we afford to get timewalk-ed by a delver deck which plays so well in the early few turns? The downside is that if you dont daze the ponder, the daze in your hand might get incrementally worse. Appreciate your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tel'Lythari View Post
    Nice update Claudio! Just curious, given how rampant Grixis Delver is, what's the reason behind 3 StPs instead of 4? I would like to hear more from you
    well StP has been always great, but in a field with Leovold, strix, Nemesi and YPyro, StP make 1x2 or is useless. I prefer terminus instead the 4th sword since can handle all creatures and create card advantage!

@beta: hi man! so, Daze is the most skilled cards here, since as you say, sometimes might be worst for you than your opponent. there isn't any rule for when you should play or not. it depends from many things, like the MU, the state of the game, your cards in hand and so on. btw for my experience Daze has been great even in the late game when you opponent suppose that you might shuffle it or just don't have it. against delver decks is usually really strong, since allow you to force your spell witha free counter backup. i suggest you to read my primer where i explain how it works!

here some really beautiful mirror mu where Johannes shows how good is!

http://series.magiccardmarket.eu/201...-kevin-wagner/

Quote Originally Posted by B88 View Post
    well StP has been always great, but in a field with Leovold, strix, Nemesi and YPyro, StP make 1x2 or is useless. I prefer terminus instead the 4th sword since can handle all creatures and create card advantage!

@beta: hi man! so, Daze is the most skilled cards here, since as you say, sometimes might be worst for you than your opponent. there isn't any rule for when you should play or not. it depends from many things, like the MU, the state of the game, your cards in hand and so on. btw for my experience Daze has been great even in the late game when you opponent suppose that you might shuffle it or just don't have it. against delver decks is usually really strong, since allow you to force your spell witha free counter backup. i suggest you to read my primer where i explain how it works!
    Thanks for the advice Claudio! I gave your primer a read, very good write-up. I would assume the sideboarding guide on the first page still stands cause when i read about the mirror, you mentioned counterbalance ;p.

I am having some problems against jund and lands. What is your general strategy against these decks? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by beta View Post
    Thanks for the advice Claudio! I gave your primer a read, very good write-up. I would assume the sideboarding guide on the first page still stands cause when i read about the mirror, you mentioned counterbalance ;p.

I am having some problems against jund and lands. What is your general strategy against these decks? Thanks!
    Well against jund is quite tough since pfire but mentor and daze helps! smash mantor as soon as you can, also Moon post board can get you the game. i usully board out fow for ee, pyroclasm and flusters.

against land is differnt, here we are in good shape. surgicals and moond + wear can handle the board state (here cut daze and 1mentor)

Since Johannes Gutbrod in the interview after his MKM win in Prague mentions that Blood Moon is particular strong in (some of) the harder matchups, have you considered moving it to the maindeck?

Also, what are your thoughts on Council's Judgment? Yes, it is on the clunky side, but it also is a very clean solution to a lot of otherwise very problematic cards (Leovold, TNN, planeswalkers, Chalice, ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kobal View Post
    Since Johannes Gutbrod in the interview after his MKM win in Prague mentions that Blood Moon is particular strong in (some of) the harder matchups, have you considered moving it to the maindeck?

Also, what are your thoughts on Council's Judgment? Yes, it is on the clunky side, but it also is a very clean solution to a lot of otherwise very problematic cards (Leovold, TNN, planeswalkers, Chalice, ...)
    - about Moon: yeah i thought on it, but is quite situational card, for example if you are against tempo deck and he has Delver + other stuff on board your Moon can't do that much. You have to play it wisely and against the right mu.

- i don't really like Council since is a sorcery and need WW for works. here you have only mentor and jace as sorcery speed, but they are just far better than that cluncky card. If you want really play a card which can do something similar i suggest you EE or Absent

Re: [Primer] - Mentor Miracle

Before seeing the list you and Johannes build I was testing the old one in the primer but with a maindeck Abrade. The lack of enchant in the format is doing the card a favour as it does pretty much the same job as EE but u can flashback it with snap and it's a bit less clunky; this coupled with the fact that 3 damage right now is pretty much a removal on everything relevant while doing the 4th swords impression. The downside is that it has less potential of 2x1 the opponent and you are forced to get volc//mountain on turn 2 if you want to cast it (it probably the biggest flow of the card in this deck). However it's amazing against vial decks (and stoneblade in general) and Vs any deck with main deck artifact taxing or high CMC artifact spells. I suggest you give the card a spin cause i've been really impressed.
    Also great to see my favourite deck coming back after the ban.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Mar 2014

Interesting update Claudio, thanks.
    I've seen you have increase the numbers of Portent/Predict (and talk about this).
    Very good.

After this, I'm not sure about some matchups side choices:

- Czech Pile (also named 4c Control Leovold)

Your advice about this matchup is:

4c Control: Slightly Favorable - Terminus is our best friend here since Swords is quite often a 1x2 against Leovold, Strix or Snapcaster. Post board you should treat it as a control so take out almost all Swords.

Bring in: 2 Pyroblast, 1 Red Elemental Blast, 2 Blood Moon, 2 Flusterstorm, 1 Wear//Tear
    Out: 4 Force of Will, 1 Mentor, 3 Swords
    But right now, no competitive lists of 4c running into 75 enchantment and artifact (excluding Strix) and many of his creature have toughness 1/2 (4 Deathrite Shaman, 4 Snapcaster Mage, 3/4 Baleful Strix)
    So, why do not side in Pyroclasm?
    After this, I have try Blood Moon vs 4c and imho is very good. But we don't want Deathrite Shaman in board, is not right to bring 1/2 Swords to plowshares vs Shamans and Tasigur/Gurmag?

Another question about Surgical Extraction.
    Is not correct to include Surgical vs 4 Snapcaster decks?
    In this matchup our opponent want to build advantage with 2x1 and a Flashbacked Pyroblast (3x in his deck) or Kolaghan Command give it a lot of advantage.
    Can you give us your thoughts about this?
    Thanks!

- Delver

Your advice about:

Delver Decks: Favorable - It's usually an easy MU since they are not able to deal with all our threats like Balance or Mentor. Post-board is the same, even more if we run Blood Moon. Don't forget to keep Daze, even on the draw since you need to fight in the early game.

Bring in: 2 Pyroblast, 2 Blood Moon, 2 Flusterstorm, 1 Wear//Tear
    Out: 4 Force of Will, 1 Counterspell, 1 Jace, 1 Mentor
    Again: no Pyroclasm vs Delver deck.
    The most common Delver deck today is Grixis: I suppose you talk of it.
    All Grixis run 4 Delver, 4 Deathrite, 2/4 Pyromancer.
    Vs this decks bringing in Pyroclasm give us good 2x1 (or plus if he have Elemental tokens).
    In add to this: Pyroclasm is not a blue spell and can't be Pyroblasted.
    I like to bring in Pyroclasm (and sometimes Engineered, but i'm not sure about this), is not correct? Why?

Thank you so much!
    Happy and very satisfied with this deck!

Hey Claudio, do you or Johannes streams online? Figured we can learn a lot by watching you guys play.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1987 View Post
    Hey Claudio, do you or Johannes streams online? Figured we can learn a lot by watching you guys play.
    hi dude i'll i think in September!

Ive recently swapped over to the mentor daze MB build from the UA build and I can deff say that it feels much more proactive and alot of the times ppl dont want you to uptap with mentor so they have to play off curve. and now that your playing daze aswell they have to maybe leave up 2 mana. so far that is what it feels like but ive only been playing at LGS and FNM and never went to time. XD since DNT and Grixis Delver has been top meta/DTB has anyone thought about running teferi's response ?
    I didnt know there are 2 threads for miracles now =P

Quote Originally Posted by RankaLee View Post
    Ive recently swapped over to the mentor daze MB build from the UA build and I can deff say that it feels much more proactive and alot of the times ppl dont want you to uptap with mentor so they have to play off curve. and now that your playing daze aswell they have to maybe leave up 2 mana. so far that is what it feels like but ive only been playing at LGS and FNM and never went to time. XD since DNT and Grixis Delver has been top meta/DTB has anyone thought about running teferi's response ?
    I didnt know there are 2 threads for miracles now =P
    well dude the card is really cool but imho too random atm!

Thread Information