Thread: Combo Vs. Synergy

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Combo Vs. Synergy

Alright, just to make things clear...

Combo is when there are two or more cards that interact to each other causing a particular player to win or lose.

Synergy is when there are two or more cards that interact to each other causing an ample advantage to a particular player.

Dont you hate it when things people go: "Kalastria Highborn and Vampire Aristrocrat combos so well"

It is not a combo. Combos wins you the game. Grindstone and Painter's Servant wins you the game. The whole ANT deck wins you the game in one play. Donate and Grandeur of Illusions wins you the game. Stuffy Doll and Guilty Conscience wins you the game.

Card interaction that does not win you games are not combo. They're simply good synergies.

Does anyone agree to this?

Discuss
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Timmy-Spike-Melvin . . . . . Level 2 Judge

Dec 2009
    Vienna, Austria

Re: Combo Vs. Synergy

I totally agree with you, it bothers me too.
    But I've got a slightly different definition:

Combo: When 2 or more cards that interact to each other causing, when not answered, a particular player very very likely to win or lose.

Dark Ritual-Dark Rital-Ad Nauseam with Tendrils in the Library is a combo, but sometimes you will die yourself because of bad flips.

Synergie: When there are two or more cards that interact to each other causing a advantage which is bigger than the sum of the advantages each card could provide alone.

Do you think a hard lock is a combo? (Such as Smokestack, Crucible, Trinisphere)

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Disagree. A combo is when two cards played by the same player interact directly with eachother to produce a positive outcome (eg Stifle + Dreadnaught) whereas synergistic cards makes eachother better indirectly (eg Stifle and Wasteland).

Of course, there are semantic overlaps and gray areas so the correct approach is probably to lay of the godwins-law incurring adherence to proper grammar.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

No. "Combo" means just a combination of two or more items. Sinergy is the concept of two or more items interacting to achieve some effect bigger than the effect of those items alone. Combo decks usually use only combinations of cards with a sinergistic effect big enough to win the game, but not always. For example, some decks might use a combo to win a billion life and it's still a combo as long as it uses more than one card.

Ultimately, anybody can have his own definition of what constitutes a combo, but some definitions are more useful than others. Maybe categorizing a deck as combo and other as sinergistic might give a clue in how to build or play them, and maybe my definition is less useful because according to it, "Plains + Island" is a combo even though they don't do anything useful together; however, and unlike yours, it also serves to define things like "burger + chips", so it is a win in my book.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

In my mind, the distinction between synergy and combo is that a combo requires both cards for either one to be good (e.g., Dreadnought is useless without Stifle), whereas synergistic cards are effective on their own, but even better in conjunction with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    In my mind, the distinction between synergy and combo is that a combo requires both cards for either one to be good (e.g., Dreadnought is useless without Stifle), whereas synergistic cards are effective on their own, but even better in conjunction with others.
    Zilla got it in one. The above is correct. By the OP's definition, High Tide and Reset are not a combo, because they do not win the game on their own. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

A combo doesn't have to be gamewinning. Two cards sharing synergy doesn't make them not a combo. Turns out that most combo decks are really just playing a ton of synergistic effects... Flash + Hulk is a combo, but the two cards have a lot of synergy, and could be played with other cards also.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Stifle and Pnaught is not a combo, it is simply a really good synergy from each other.

Painter's Servant and Grindstone is a combo because the turn it gets active, it will win you the game.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

That's wrong.

Stifle + D. Naught is a Combo, Natural Order + Progenitus is a Combo, Survival + Squee is a Combo. Zilla has the right definition.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Stifle and Pnaught is not a combo, it is simply a really good synergy from each other.

Painter's Servant and Grindstone is a combo because the turn it gets active, it will win you the game.
    By that definition PainterStone ISN'T a combo b/c it won't necessarily kill the turn you resolve it.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

the distinction between synergy and combo is that a combo requires both cards for either one to be good (e.g., Dreadnought is useless without Stifle), whereas synergistic cards are effective on their own, but even better in conjunction with others.
    Once this is said in any discussion about combo and synergy, all the other remarks are a waste of energy.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    Disagree. A combo is when two cards played by the same player interact directly with eachother to produce a positive outcome (eg Stifle + Dreadnaught) whereas synergistic cards makes eachother better indirectly (eg Stifle and Wasteland).
    Exactly.

A combo between two cards is the reinforced power gained by playing these two cards together instead of each one separatedly. For instance Mother of Runes and Vampire Nighthawk are a combo, even if they are two good cards on their and if the combo is not that much powerful. Playing them together reinforces their power.

A synergy between two cards is the fact that are both helping you to achieve the same game plan(s). Reset, meditate and High Tide are synergic because they both help you raise your storm (which is your game plan). Raising your storm and playing a storm spell is a combo though.

Order of the Ebon Hand gets there...pro Swords...take 2...
    Jun 2008
    Iowa

My combo is either basic Island + Vedalken Shackles or basic Island + Back to Basics. They win the game against most players not playing combo... hmmm... maybe my synergistic cards aren't so combo-tastic after all...
    End of turn...Morphling

Quote Originally Posted by AriLax View Post
    Brainstorm is only useful in certain situations? Brainstorm is useful when you hand is not the stone cold nutter butter blade Ranchington Q. Farnsworth Esquire best. When Brainstorm is "dead", the game is already over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ectoplasm View Post
    I heard Bryant Cook once set fire to his opponent's face for playing a Rule of Law.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    It's impressive the amount of effort you put into telling a story that actually makes you look much worse than the idiot.
    Team OMRIAIGTWYFEWARTCAE

Good against CMC 2
    Sep 2009
    San Antonio

Zilla wins the thread, everyone else loses. Stifle combos with Dreadnought, but is synergistic with wasteland. Ez.
    "If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him.
    If he is in superior strength, evade him.
    If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him.
    Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.
    If he is taking his ease, give him no rest.
    If his forces are united, separate them.
    Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."

-Sun Tzu

How hard of a lock would you need for it to be considered a combo? Would Nether Spirit and Contamination be a combo? Platinum Angel and Darksteel Forge? Iona and Painter's Servant?

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Zilla >> OP

Thread Information