Thread: Skred Red

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Skred Red

So Skred Red won GP Dallas yesterday, which is insane. Will Skred to now become a "real" deck, or was this a fluke? While I'm sure Snow-Covered Mountains will spike, it's still a lot cheaper than many Tier 1 Modern decks and gets to pack maindeck Blood Moon, Relic, and Anger of the Gods.

(I'm personally happy about this, as I built the deck a few months ago and hope that the increased exposure means people will figure out more optimized lists.)

(Legacy is still lightyears better than Modern.)

Re: Skred Red

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    So Skred Red won GP Dallas yesterday, which is insane. Will Skred to now become a "real" deck, or was this a fluke? While I'm sure Snow-Covered Mountains will spike, it's still a lot cheaper than many Tier 1 Modern decks and gets to pack maindeck Blood Moon, Relic, and Anger of the Gods.

(I'm personally happy about this, as I built the deck a few months ago and hope that the increased exposure means people will figure out more optimized lists.)

(Legacy is still lightyears better than Modern.)
    I figure it's just another variant of The Mountains Win Again which occasionally does well. I don't know that Skred or snow-covered lands in particular make it any better than other types of this deck.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Fair point. While I think the Skred and Scry engine does help the deck grind, perhaps a better question would have been: will Big Red become a thing in Modern? The cards I mentioned in my OP make me think the deck can do well in combo-lite metas, and newer printings like Chandra seem to be some indication that WotC wants to help the archetype.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Blood Moon as always is a great card in the format. The upside of Skred is you get a one mana removal spell in red that kills a goyf. And of course sheets. It's like the opposite of a Jace +2 on yourself. Solid card selection in mono red. Also storm breath just destroys the chimps who rely on path/decay as their removal
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Was it a fluke? Of course it was, anyone who wins a GP by definition ran like God that weekend; I mean the other finalist went 17-1 with Grixis Control that only had Snapcasters, Tasigurs and Creeping Tar Pit to win the game with. There was also a copy of Black-Green Tron in the Day 2 metagame, is anybody gonna start brewing that? Nope.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Blood Moon as always is a great card in the format. The upside of Skred is you get a one mana removal spell in red that kills a goyf. And of course sheets. It's like the opposite of a Jace +2 on yourself. Solid card selection in mono red. Also storm breath just destroys the chimps who rely on path/decay as their removal
    I've played the deck . . . 3 times now, and that's been my experience. Skred is an excellent removal spell by the standards of a format that doesn't have StP; lots of decks can't handle Blood Moon; and Stormbreath/the deck's other finishers are very hard to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    Was it a fluke? Of course it was, anyone who wins a GP by definition ran like God that weekend; I mean the other finalist went 17-1 with Grixis Control that only had Snapcasters, Tasigurs and Creeping Tar Pit to win the game with. There was also a copy of Black-Green Tron in the Day 2 metagame, is anybody gonna start brewing that? Nope.
    Sure, it coulda been a fluke, but saying "Of course it was" is probably too strong. I'm under the impression that Skred's been putting up strong MtGO results as well. It's possible that the meta happens to be ripe for it and soon it'll shift into something less friendly, but I wouldn't automatically assume this was just one lucky pilot.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

The Skred deck was very well positioned for the metagame. Dredge was enemy number one going into the Open. As such, having 4 Relic of Progenitus along with 3 Anger of the Gods in the main likely went a long way toward the deck's success. Luck was also likely a significant factor, as having a Blood Moon deck means you're looking to grab some number of free wins over the course of a tournament. That said, I think the deck is actually good. Skred is a powerful removal spell and Stormbreath Dragon is nearly unkillable in the current meta. I don't think that there is really an optimal build of the Big Red/Skred deck in general, but rather, it's a deck that can be tweaked and tuned to attack the metagame from some different angles. How good the deck is at any point in time is going to vary significantly, but when it's good, it's good.

Thread Information