Thread: Rainbow Efreet

I'm With Very Stupid
    Dec 2007

Rainbow Efreet

When i use rainbow efreet ability to phase out when will she come back to game. At the beggining of the next phase (if i phase her out in the upkeep she will come back at the main phase), or at the end of turn ? I couldn't find he rulling for the "phase out" at the wizards website.

Thx

Re: Rainbow Efreet

Phasing is defined in the Comprehensive Rules, which are here: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Res...?x=magic/rules

Yawgatog, internet superstar, has a HTML version of the rules: http://yawgatog.com/resources/

Also, see the stickied "How to answer your own question" post in this forum.

502.15. Phasing

502.15a. Phasing is a static ability that modifies the rules of the untap step.

502.15b. During each player's untap step, before the active player untaps his or her permanents, all permanents with phasing the player controls phase out. Simultaneously, all objects that had phased out under that player's control phase in. (See rule 217.8, "Phased Out," and rule 302.1.)
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

I'm With Very Stupid
    Dec 2007

Thanks man, i could not find that and since i'm starting to playtest with the efreet it could be helpful to know the rullings, ehehhehhhe,

thx again ;)

Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Mkay. I can honestly say I did not know that. I think I understand why the Equipment will not phase back in; the token gets temporarily the phasing ability, and when it ceases to exist, it won't trigger at your next upkeep. But why does equipment also phase out?
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Because permanents attached to a phasing guy phase out alongside them (and remain attached). This is intuitive with Auras, less so with Equipment (which didn't even exist in Mirage), but the game treats both as simply "attached permanents".
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Actually, I wasn't aware that tokens ceased to exist at all. I was always under the assumption that phased permanents weren't in any particular zone?

Everything is in a particular zone. Phased-out permanents are in the Phased-out Zone.

420.5. The state-based effects are as follows:

420.5f. A token in a zone other than the in-play zone ceases to exist.
    So it's obvious that the token goes away, but as far as the equipment:

502.15i. When a permanent phases out, any Auras, Equipment, or Fortifications attached to that permanent phase out at the same time. This alternate way of phasing out is known as phasing out "indirectly." An Aura, Equipment, or Fortification that phased out indirectly won't phase in by itself, but instead phases in along with the card it's attached to.
    -David DeLaney

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

Well, now you do.
    sig'd

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Chief Head Chief of the Department of Redundancy Department
    Dec 2005
    Massachusetts

And phased out is different from removed from the game, correct? So a player couldn't use Golden Wish to get back that equipment?
    Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    And make no mistake, a Hulk Flash dominated metagame is shit on a plate. Sure, it made for an interesting GP and possibly even attracted a few curious newcomers who wondered "I wonder what it's like to eat shit?" or "I wonder what it's like to make other people eat shit?" That's all fine and dandy, but I'll be glad to say "Good riddance!" to Flash when I wake up tomorrow.

Correct. The Phased-Out zone is different than the Removed From Game zone.

There's no way to get it back that I know of; the closest is Time and Tide, but that only does creature cards.
    -David DeLaney

I have another question about Rainbow Efreet (and creatures with phase in general), if i block with the Efreet a creature and then phase out, the opponent creature will take 3 damages or not? my answer is Yes, but i want to be sure.

In the future, please start a new thread instead of necroing an old one.

The answer, as with most combat damage tricks, is "it depends when you phase the Efreet out".

Combat damage goes on the stack as an object, like a spell or ability. Once comabt damage is on the stack, it is seperate from the creature and will still be dealt regardless of what happens to the creature the damage came from.

If you phase the Efreet out before combat damage goes on the stack (that is, during the Declare Blockers Step, before the Combat Damage Step), it will no longer be in combat and will neither assign nor deal damage. If you phase the Efreet out after it assigns damage and the damage is on the stack, the Efreet's damage will be dealt.

310. Combat Damage Step

310.1. As the combat damage step begins, the active player announces how each attacking creature will assign its combat damage. Then the defending player announces how each blocking creature will assign its combat damage. All assignments of combat damage go on the stack as a single object. Then any abilities that triggered on damage being assigned go on the stack. (See rule 410, "Handling Triggered Abilities.") Then the active player gets priority and players may play spells and abilities.
    -David DeLaney

Ok thanks, so it's possible to block with Efreet, phase him out saving his ass and kill the opponent creature at the same time.

Remember though: only if you do it after damage is on the stack. Be very clear with your opponent that you are doing it after damage is on the stack.
    -David DeLaney

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Samsunait View Post
    Ok thanks, so it's possible to block with Efreet, phase him out saving his ass and kill the opponent creature at the same time.
    Announcing it properly is the key. It must be stated explicitly that you let the damage go on the stack and then phased out, or else the opponent will say that you phased out at the wrong time, which was exactly what happened.

EDIT - Ok, I was a few too late.
    Last edited by Jaiminho; 12-10-2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Ah, crap! I didn't know he was so fast!
    Keep moon-walking.

Thread Information