Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Podcast] The Brainstorm Show episode 17: Lots of stuff and ShardStill

[Podcast] The Brainstorm Show episode 17: Lots of stuff and ShardStill

Hey guys,
    In episode 17 we discuss a variety of topics including a spicy ShardStill deck we've been piloting online. Hope you enjoy.http://www.thebrainstormshow.com/pod...ew-shardstill/

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: [Podcast] The Brainstorm Show episode 17: Lots of stuff and ShardStill

Having a listen to this at the moment and enjoying the complaining about Chalice not being fun. Well, not everyone enjoys watching their opponents masterbate with Brainstorm, Ponder and Preordain. Welcome to the street, enjoy the cage fight. It's been a long time coming.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Having a listen to this at the moment and enjoying the complaining about Chalice not being fun. Well, not everyone enjoys watching their opponents masterbate with Brainstorm, Ponder and Preordain. Welcome to the street, enjoy the cage fight. It's been a long time coming.
    I like how you put it, Dice. In fact, I made it my signature
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Yeah Phil loves masturbating (with cantrips). Hopefully we provide a balanced perspective on Legacy though. I loved playing with the Eldrazi deck.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    Yeah Phil loves masturbating (with cantrips). Hopefully we provide a balanced perspective on Legacy though. I loved playing with the Eldrazi deck.
    Oh I am right there with you. It feels like a true Legacy parallel to Vintage Shops. Pushing much the same plan and holding many of the same weaknesses. This is why I do not think that it's as big an issue as people make it out to be. Because an underpowered Shops deck in Legacy is just as beatable as a powered one is in Vintage.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Oh I am right there with you. It feels like a true Legacy parallel to Vintage Shops. Pushing much the same plan and holding many of the same weaknesses. This is why I do not think that it's as big an issue as people make it out to be. Because an underpowered Shops deck in Legacy is just as beatable as a powered one is in Vintage.
    Oh for sure. I personally feel that Eldrazi is one of the best things to happen to Legacy in years. It is very beatable but requires people to make some adjustments and consider playing decks other than 50 cantrips plus a few 1-2 mana threats or Top-do-nothing-durdle.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Great with another episode. Following you on twitter as per your orders, oh my masters!

I have to say that I land on the same side as Phil does in regards to chalice decks. You (Dice) might say that cantripping is masturbatory but the cantrip decks (if we are just to lump all decks with ponder and brainstorm together) usually cast cantrips to find spells to cast that generate interaction. Brainstorm to find a removal spell for a creature or a counterspell for a combo card etc. The stompy decks (sol land decks in Legacy and Workshops in Vintage I guess) seem like the very definition of masturbatory... playing by yourself. They do inherently not wish to interact, they don't want their opponents to be able to play the game at all. They hope to land one early lock piece that turns off all the relevant spells the other player is playing.

In Legacy these decks have traditionally been wrought with inconsistency but the power level of the new Eldrazi creatures and their very streamlined curve make up for these inconsistencies. Where before if their turn one lock piece got forced, MUD's hand might just fall apart. Or they might just mulligan into oblivion to find it. Now, if their lock piece is countered, their turn 2 TKS, turn 3 Smasher often be good enough to grind out a win vs many decks.

But that is less of an issue. Like the thing is, if 15% of a tournament was playing MUD I would hate that too. It's all about, like Phil said, having agency over your own chances to win.

In a way, Chalice and Blood Moon feels much like Show and Tell does to me. There are few things I hate more than when I sit down in front of someone who just shrugs their shoulders and goes turn 1 petal, ancient tomb show and tell and I don't have the force of will (or isn't playing a deck with force). It requires NOTHING from them in terms of brainpower, strategic nous or the like. It's the same with chalice and blood moon: /shrug /yolo, play it out, do you have the force? No? Then I guess the game is over. I know there are turn 1 kills in Legacy and that's fine. They won't run rampant as long as force is a thing. Also, losing turn 1 to decks like storm and dredge at least leaves you with impression that they had to use some sort of brain capacity beyond "duuuuh, me cast dis spell, yoo answer? No? Me win".

It is therefor an issue for me when a MUD-style deck becomes tier 1 and is this widely played. It increases the amount of non-games that doesn't require any effort from my opponent, sadly. It's not the end of the world, of course, but to call it [one of] the best thing[s] to happen to Legacy in years just seems quite contrary to how I view it.

Mar 2013

But you have agency. You have the whole card pool to pick from and to build with. If you play a deck that dies to a single card, you made a choice to play that deck. You made a choice, you gave yourself that weakness. As a Lands player I do not fear Eldrazi at all, I fear Storm. Should I be really unhappy when I get paired against Storm and claim I have no agency in that match because I choose to play a deck that was bad against it? Should I spend 30 minutes going off about how horrible it is that Storm shits all over me and I have to devote 6 cards in my sideboard for it? Do I get to say that Storm is a blight that I hate or is that not aloud because the deck has been around forever and accepted so that is not something that is acceptable for me to say?

If you are going to play a deck that gets shit on by another deck then you take the risks. This is Legacy, the deck you play with it a choice and nothing is without flaw. You have options, you have information, you have other players who will test with you be it in real life or on Skype/MWS. You do not as a Shardless player get the right to bitch if Painter shits on you. Guess what, that was a choice you made when you picked up your deck. You build a deck with no Basics, you run that risk. By the same tone if your going to build a deck and fill it with 1 drops, be those that filter or those that tap and make mana, you risk that someone will drop a Chalice on you and give you a bad day. Just like Shardless does when Painter shows up in the room. It is a choice you make.

The games you have against something like Dragon stompy comes with the tide of playing in this format, but to tell me you do not have agency over the games that happen is total bull shit. The most you have is before you write your decklist. Just because you lose to a card does not mean that the game was out of your hands. You know I die to Bloodmoon, I also run 4 Grips. That to me is my choices and chances. My "Agency".

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Hey that's how you look at it. Having agency in deck building / deck choice. And I'll concede that I enjoy playing Storm and other blue decks and as such I can just shut up or pack up and rethink what I should be playing (I also play stuff that's good against Eldrazi, so it's not the end of the world for me). But even considering this, can you not agree that it is quite feel bad to lose to your opponent doing nothing harder than picking his/her nose? I mean, maybe it's just me but I often seem to encounter inexperienced players, that seem quite bad at playing, choosing the stompy type decks or, alternatively, reanimator or sneak and show. I just can't stand the "yolo" factor.

You don't have a good game one with Lands vs Storm? But I bet a really inexperienced storm player will be an easier opponent that an experienced one... The margin for error is slimmer. But even the most inexperienced, brain-dead MUD/Eldrazi player can look at his/her opening hand, identify the chalice and the ancient tomb and just jam.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    Oh for sure. I personally feel that Eldrazi is one of the best things to happen to Legacy in years. It is very beatable but requires people to make some adjustments and consider playing decks other than 50 cantrips plus a few 1-2 mana threats or Top-do-nothing-durdle.
    I was also about to write something like Nevishute above me... funny how the "suit" guys line up there =D ... I'd like take a different angle on it, I'm fine with CotV, I've also spent my fair share of time casting it (in a rather rogue Brown Stax fashion, was my first deck back in 2009/10), I'm fine losing to it time to time... I also like how all extremes are possible and playble next to each other... most importantly because these decks are self-regulating by their nature - the mix of inconsistency and shallow game experience (MUD, hate decks in general), glass-cannon nature (Becher, SI and alike) or mental tax (DD, old Lands) with the fact it usualy takes a specific attitude to play and enjoy playing these decks over and over which is different toa typical Mtg player... any of these played massively makes the gameplay XP worse... in first and second case also very stupid... MUD generaly has a stigma of n00bish, stupid (by gameplay) and budget deck (not anymore)... next leveling it up in consistency and also availability is something that I view as dangerous in general...

While I can see that many people awaited a chance to brew (which is there all the time btw., but still the largest mass of players are obedient netdeck sheep) or some like shake ups like in other formats - I'm definitely not one of them... For me Legacy is about stability, stack interaction, knowledge of the decks, understanding the rules and close decisions based on that... I can't see how introduction of Eldrazi.dec makes Legacy better in any aspect (my deck choice doesn't matter on this)...

Cards have changed - play on, that's fair but there also is a point which when passed I play a game I don't want to play...

I fear Storm. Should I be really unhappy when I get paired against Storm and claim I have no agency in that match because I choose to play a deck that was bad against it? Should I spend 30 minutes going off about how horrible it is that Storm shits all over me and I have to devote 6 cards in my sideboard for it? Do I get to say that Storm is a blight that I hate or is that not aloud because the deck has been around forever and accepted so that is not something that is acceptable for me to say?
    not relevant to this discussion but I don't think this is true...

@nevilshute: Thanks for listening, man! I completely understand the feeling, but for the most part I identify with Dice_Box on this issue because I view the deckbuilding process as a significant aspect of the game that gives you agency. Phil and I essentially have the same differing perspectives as you guys, and in Phil's case it makes sense to me because I spend a significant amount of time trying to tune and metagame lists, whereas Phil is much more focused on jamming games with the lists and analyzing all of the in-game decisions. This is also part of the reason I think Phil is a good teammate because we bring different strengths to the table which is very cool. Glad people listening to our podcast identify with our different perspectives; I am hoping that means it was an interesting discussion for the listeners.

EDIT @sloth: I posted before I saw your response, but I can certainly appreciate what you are saying, and I think your thoughts are spot-on with Phil's. Glad you guys are agreeing with him because a couple folks in the reddit thread sort of slammed him, and I was giving him a hard time when we were playing last night haha.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    Hey that's how you look at it. Having agency in deck building / deck choice. And I'll concede that I enjoy playing Storm and other blue decks and as such I can just shut up or pack up and rethink what I should be playing (I also play stuff that's good against Eldrazi, so it's not the end of the world for me). But even considering this, can you not agree that it is quite feel bad to lose to your opponent doing nothing harder than picking his/her nose? I mean, maybe it's just me but I often seem to encounter inexperienced players, that seem quite bad at playing, choosing the stompy type decks or, alternatively, reanimator or sneak and show. I just can't stand the "yolo" factor.

You don't have a good game one with Lands vs Storm? But I bet a really inexperienced storm player will be an easier opponent that an experienced one... The margin for error is slimmer. But even the most inexperienced, brain-dead MUD/Eldrazi player can look at his/her opening hand, identify the chalice and the ancient tomb and just jam.
    The real role of experience comes in when everything goes tits up. I have had this thrown at me time and time again in Vintage everything you just said. I am a Shops player so being told my choice is boring, bothersome, easy to play, noobish, simple, the deck plays itself... I am use to that. I will also say that easy lines are easy, but the skill is what you do when those easy lines are not available. When do you Mull is a skill in Shops that will get you to the top tables or knock you out round 3. What to side also. Just because I do not hold up Brainstorm and Force does not mean that the deck does not take skill. Its just not the same skill that playing Underground Sea calls for.

Still, I will admit I am glad Legacy players are now throwing the same comments around Vintage players do. Warms my cold, cold heart a little. Not enough I will not Chalice on turn one if I can, but a little warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    not relevant to this discussion but I don't think this is true...
    Why is it not? Why can I as a Lands player not bitch about Storm or Bloodmoon? Its the same thing only on a diffrent wavelength. Why is it that someone can go on a rant about a deck/card that causes them issues but if I was to do the same about a commonly played and accepted deck I would get told to pull my head in and stop being a fool? Why is it fine some someone to bitch when it is Brainstorm that is getting locked out but it is not acceptable for a Lands player to bitch about Moon? I mean I am not bitching about Moon, I like what it does to the format, but what's the difference in those examples other than we have already accepted Storm and Moon as forces that exist/should exist in Legacy?

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    But even considering this, can you not agree that it is quite feel bad to lose to your opponent doing nothing harder than picking his/her nose? [...] I just can't stand the "yolo" factor.
    So true.

As I wrote to Slosh in a private conversation, the problem is that Eldrazi changes Legacy's face which is mostly based on stack interaction and tempo plays. If the metagame changes slightly, that's not a problem, but if
    the face of Legacy switches to a static grimace then that's something I dislike. That does not mean that there's something wrong at the moment but playing "shops" and stalling boards with yolo-derpy turn 1 plays takes away
    some factors of the format that I enjoy the most. Just take a look at how miserable Vintage games play out. Let modern be the topdeck format, Vintage the yolo-derp turn 1 thing, and leave Legacy as versatile as possible.
    In the end, Stompy decks take away a certain skillfulness and understanding of the game but I mean, hey, some people want to make Standard playable in Legacy.

Edit:
    When do you Mull is a skill in Shops that will get you to the top tables or knock you out round 3. What to side also.
    Mtg Essentials vol. 1
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    Mtg Essentials vol. 1
    Yep, because knowing when to Mull when you have Brainstorm and 2 fetches is exactly the same as when you have 0 manipulation.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Yep, because knowing when to Mull when you have Brainstorm and 2 fetches is exactly the same as when you have 0 manipulation.
    Wow, that's generalized to the max.

Guess that's also part of the so-called "agency" thing.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm

Mar 2013

Thats not a word I picked. Also really, I am glad you can all bitch about shops now being a thing. You're all about 10 years behind Vintage players but I have faith it will not take you 10 years to work out how to play against it.

But in all honesty, are you all really going to tell me a deck that breaks up the cantrip cartel is a bad thing in Legacy? Are you really going to tell me that years and years of building dominance being taken down a notch is something to be unhappy about? It might not be in a way you like, but it was never going to be. You all just wanted to keep jamming Brainstorm and who cares about the 38-40% of people that didn't. Legacy NEEDS this change. I see no issue whatsoever in this. Feel free to disagree but hey, we all need a new target to bitch about since SnT ain't jamming Demons and wrecking face like it use to.

Soulless Eldrazi Player
    Aug 2015
    Special place in Hell

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    So true.

As I wrote to Slosh in a private conversation, the problem is that Eldrazi changes Legacy's face which is mostly based on stack interaction and tempo plays. If the metagame changes slightly, that's not a problem, but if the face of Legacy switches to a static grimace then that's something I dislike. That does not mean that there's something wrong at the moment but playing "shops" and stalling boards with yolo-derpy turn 1 plays takes away some factors of the format that I enjoy the most. Just take a look at how miserable Vintage games play out. Let modern be the topdeck format, Vintage the yolo-derp turn 1 thing, and leave Legacy as versatile as possible. In the end, Stompy decks take away a certain skillfulness and understanding of the game but I mean, hey, some people want to make Standard playable in Legacy.
    First of all, I have to ask, what does "static grimace" mean? Like, I get that it's supposed to be bad, but I just don't understand what "bad" constitutes in your mind because you've described it in poetic terms rather than concrete ones.

The format's best decks are based around making the game as non-interactive as possible. Miracles locks you under Counterbalance + Top. Lands locks you out of mana. Storm is an exercise in masturbation. Sure, getting to that point of lockout is where the interaction happens, but Chalice on turn 1 isn't the end of interaction. There are like a million outs to that play, and if you don't have one, then that's not really the Chalice player's fault. If you do, then we're back to playing interactive Magic. Not only that, but the Chalice player has to figure you have an out, and must either sequence their plays to protect themselves from that eventuality or go all-in on Chalice locking you out and leave themselves vulnerable to an Abrupt Decay.

Now, I don't want to cast aspersions on Storm, Lands, or Miracles players. I recognize that there is a lot of play to those decks, and experience and skill make a big difference. But the same is true of Chalice decks, they just operate differently. Your mulligan decisions are of paramount importance, as once you've settled on your starting hand, you're heavily reliant on the top of your deck. But even once the game's started, sequencing is still rather difficult, unless you have an easy line like turn 1 Chalice (which isn't even necessarily game over, as it's terrible in the mirror and irrelevant against several other decks in the metagame). Deciding whether or not to play around Daze comes up a lot, as it does with other decks, but the pressure to make the right decision is higher because you're less likely to have another chance to resolve a Chalice in that game.

Making these kinds of decisions is highly dependent upon prior experience with the deck. It's very easy to keep a hand with a turn 1 Chalice and have it be the wrong decision: maybe the hand dies to Force of Will, or a single Wasteland. Maybe your turn 1 Chalice requires a City of Traitors to be played, leaving you vulnerable to being completely Wastelanded out of the game if you try to make a turn 2 play. It's not as easy as you think it is, and I think the reason people think it is easy is because they have never played the Chalice deck.

EDIT: I just saw that you edited in a bit in this post about how making mulligan decisions is a level 1 MTG skill. Maybe that's true, but it's also the level 1 skill that the (vast) majority of players don't do properly, and players playing Brainstorm decks get bailed out of their terrible mulligans with quality cantrips so often that they've forgotten what it's like to mull without a safety net. You think you know enough about mulliganing to play a Chalice deck effectively? Do it. Prove me wrong.
    Roses are colorless.
    Violets are colorless.
    Everything is nothing.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Since when is a deck's legitimacy in this format were measured by how difficult it is to play? Is DDFT the "most Legacy" deck? Are the people running Show and Tell or Burn or Eldrazi less smart than the noble [insert pet deck here] player? Personally I think they're smarter for showing up with something that they know will minimize decision fatigue over 9 rounds while still giving them a very good win percentage against the rest of the field. And let's not sit in some high tower and pretend like Legacy's top tier has been some exclusive club of enigmas and cerebral experiences.

You know what "interactions" I've had over the past 5-6 years? Turn 1 Delver with Daze/Force backup! Turn 1 DRS into Wasteland/Hymn! Turn 1 Top, Turn 2 Counterbalance! Super difficult plays there, way more deserving of a win than Turn 1 Show and Tell or Goblin Guide.

Let's face it, SCG shined a huge spotlight on this format and made it a lot more competitive than it used to be. A lot more people are playing to win, not to brew, or to relish the experience. When you show up to a large event to play and have fun with a pet deck, you have to accept that you've made winning a secondary goal, and that not everyone else shares your point of view. I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

But in all honesty, are you all really going to tell me a deck that breaks up the cantrip cartel is a bad thing in Legacy? Are you really going to tell me that years and years of building dominance being taken down a notch is something to be unhappy about? It might not be in a way you like, but it was never going to be. You all just wanted to keep jamming Brainstorm and who cares about the 38-40% of people that didn't. Legacy NEEDS this change. I see no issue whatsoever in this. Feel free to disagree but hey, we all need a new target to bitch about since SnT ain't jamming Demons and wrecking face like it use to.
    GPs have been won by non-blue decks before Eldrazi. There are options to those not wanting to play blue. Death and Taxes, Lands and Elves being the most successful ones in later times. They don't have the same penetration as the blue decks, in the case of lands perhaps in part due to budget, in the case of the other two decks, it probably has a lot to do with many players coming to Legacy to cast their cantrips so the brainstorm decks are (perhaps massively) overrepresented.

That pisses you off?
    It gives you a hard-on slamming your turn one chalices because that for some reason annoys you? It seems like the answer is yes.

Am I one to judge you? I guess not. It's a game. We're all adults. But does it frustrate me? It sure does.

But again, for me, it's the skill-issue. Yes you can twiddle your thumbs all day and talk about how great of a gaming experience it makes for when the biggest skill-tester comes before the game begins (mulliganing). I honestly don't think that's anywhere near as interesting as in-game decision making.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Thats not a word I picked. Also really, I am glad you can all bitch about shops now being a thing. You're all about 10 years behind Vintage players but I have faith it will not take you 10 years to work out how to play against it.

Alright. Personally, I don't think it's a tragedy because Legacy cards are balanced enough to deal with a tier 1 Stompy deck; at least as far as I can imagine; decks also proved to be equipped for Eldrazi.

"Cantrip cartel" is a term I am not willing to accept or use. I don't think we should use a negatively connotated word for BS,Ponder,GP in general. Here, nevilshute described it detailed enough in his post above. And yet again, I'd like
    to refer back to what I called Legacy's face; meaning the style of the format in comparison to modern (topdecking) and Vintage (yolo-playing). Just a sidenote, I never complained about SneakShow and never really understood people
    who were complaining about it. But that's of no relevance here.

I don't see why Legacy would need a change. It changes, certainly; new cards influence the format but something that transforms Legacy into a derpish format where cc3+ spells are a fine choice to mitigate Eldrazi damage is something that changes Legacy entirely. I don't have a problem with the format/meta with Eldrazi but can't understand peoples' interests in the game. I guess, Dark Rituals and BSs had their influence on me. It's clearly a form of subject fallacy on both sides.

Edit: so many comments

Quote Originally Posted by Delvis View Post
    First of all, I have to ask, what does "static grimace" mean? Like, I get that it's supposed to be bad, but I just don't understand what "bad" constitutes in your mind because you've described it in poetic terms rather than concrete ones.

The format's best decks are based around making the game as non-interactive as possible. Miracles locks you under Counterbalance + Top. Lands locks you out of mana. Storm is an exercise in masturbation. Sure, getting to that point of lockout is where the interaction happens, but Chalice on turn 1 isn't the end of interaction. There are like a million outs to that play, and if you don't have one, then that's not really the Chalice player's fault. If you do, then we're back to playing interactive Magic. Not only that, but the Chalice player has to figure you have an out, and must either sequence their plays to protect themselves from that eventuality or go all-in on Chalice locking you out and leave themselves vulnerable to an Abrupt Decay.
    I tried to paint a picture of lock artifacts on turn 1 and then derping to a win.

"Storm is an exercise in masturbation." Funny comment but honestly if you'd play the deck or play against it you'd realize that it's damn far away from that.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

The Dragonstorm

Thread Information