Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A deck per week challenge

Re: A deck per week challenge

Hello guys. On Saturday I made the poor choice of playing Dragon Stompy. I had a lot of mulligans and got basically completely shut out against Death and Taxes (0-2), and played some decent games against Aluren (1-2). Overall I like the list, but I'd probably cut some chrome moxes for more lands, unfortunately.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Forgotten Cave
    8 Mountain

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Magus of the Wheel
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Stormbreath Dragon
    4 Thunderbreak Regent

2 Thundermaw Hellkite

3 Fiery Confluence

3 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Lotus Petal
    3 Trinisphere

SIDEBOARD

1 Blood Moon
    1 Boil
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Faerie Macabre
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Pyrokinesis
    1 Kozilek's Return
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Trinisphere

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to post for Saturday's event!

Today for the weekly Monday Legacy, I took a page out of @kinda 's book and went full Patrick. I had a good snowball fight today playing Quinn, the Mighty Eskimo. For those who are unfamiliar, Quinn is a mono-white control deck focused on building a tiny snowy igloo prison from cards like Ensnaring Bridge and Isochron Scepter+ Orim's Chant. There is some card advantage in the form of playing snow-covered lands and drawing them with scrying sheets, ensuring they're on the top of the library with sensei's divining top. The win condition is typically Helm of Obedience + Rest In Peace, but post-board it can just be Monastery Mentor and a bunch of castings of Sensei's Divining Top.

Here's the record: (2-1 overall)
    Nic Fit (2-0)
    Junk Loam (2-1)
    Eldrazi (0-2). I'd like to note prior to the tournament I was playtesting against eldrazi and getting the upper hand pretty often. He had some nutty draws and I wasn't able to land an ensnaring bridge, moat, or humility. I probably should have mulligan'd to get those cards more.

Here's the list:

16 Snow-covered Plains
    4 Scrying Sheets
    2 Marsh Flats

4 Helm of Obedience
    4 Rest In Peace
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Orim's Chant

2 Isochron Scepter
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Terminus
    2 Unexpectedly Absent
    1 Wrath of God
    1 Porphyry Nodes
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Moat
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    1 Humility
    1 Runed Halo

Sideboard:

4 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Monastery Mentor
    1 Aegis of Honor
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Oblivion Ring

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1)

* denotes the deck was played in an event other than a weekly event for store credit, such as a monthly event for staples.
    Last edited by Jakobian1010; 02-23-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

time for opposition?
    -rob

Good work with Quinn! Very unlucky against Eldrazi, but turn 1 chalice can be brutal. I usually run some o ring's maindeck. The matchup is quite positive though. The o'rings work against Jace and snt too. How was unexpectedly absent?

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    time for opposition?
    It's actually in the queue (meaning I have it built and ready to go soon!)

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Good work with Quinn! Very unlucky against Eldrazi, but turn 1 chalice can be brutal. I usually run some o ring's maindeck. The matchup is quite positive though. The o'rings work against Jace and snt too. How was unexpectedly absent?
    It was clutch against eldrazi when we were playtesting, since I was able to put a chalice back on top and cast my necessary 1-drops for a turn. Also caused him to delay a turn obviously. The isochron scepter + unexpectedly absent combo was just too slow though, and often opponents could just put multiple things down in a turn. Overall I'd probably prefer to just play council's judgment instead I think.

I had a week long hiatus, so no updates for last week. Today I decided to play a UWR Nahiri control deck. Unfortunately we had an odd number of players and I got the bye round 1. I'm considering not counting this one as having played the deck, since I only really played 2 rounds of magic with it. The original list I started with is located here: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13973&d=282796&f=LE . I made a couple of changes which were meta calls (or because I didn't have a card), but nothing major really.

I went 2-1 overall. Round 1 bye, Round 2 played against esper blade (1-2), round 3 played against burn (2-0). Here's the list.

2 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    5 Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island

1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Vendilion Clique
    2 True Name Nemesis

1 Lightning Helix
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    2 Lightning Bolt
    4 Ponder
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Swords to Plowshares

2 Blood Moon
    2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    3 Nahiri, the Harbinger

SIDEBOARD

1 Blood Moon
    1 Trinket Mage
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Meddling Mage
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Null Rod
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Pyroblast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Wear / Tear

I'd like to fit a supreme verdict in the sideboard, probably would cut the trinket mage for it, and would probably change the mana base to do -1 Arid Mesa, +1 plains to help support it. The original list had Blessed Alliance instead of Lightning Helix, but I couldn't find one so I substituted. I do think Blessed Alliance is better overall, since it can deal with some fat creature threats.

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1)

* denotes the deck was played in an event other than a weekly event for store credit, such as a monthly event for staples.

Did you manage to win with Nahiri?

Did you manage to win with Nahiri?
    I was the esper player. Ya, game one he locked me out with blood moon. He then resolved nahiri and killed me with emrakul a few turns later .

Well I played BUG Opposition today. It didn't feel very great, even when it did what it's supposed to do. I rarely actually got opposition on the table. Overall I went 1-2. My matches were: Noble BUG (0-2), Some homebrew deck from 20 years ago (2-0), BUG delver (1-2). Not much to say about this deck, other than that I wasn't really expecting to do that great with it, and got about what I expected. Interesting note, the guy I played in round 2 just kind of showed up randomly and said he literally hasn't played in 20 years. He played with no sleeves and bridge shuffled dual lands (volcanic islands, tropical islands, taigas). Good times.

3 Garruk Wildspeaker

4 Coiling Oracle
    4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Noble Hierarch
    3 Baleful Strix
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Shardless Agent
    1 Craterhoof Behemoth
    1 Wirewood Symbiote

4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Abrupt Decay

3 Opposition

2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Gaea's Cradle
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Bayou
    1 Forest
    1 Underground Sea

Sideboard:

1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Marsh Casualties
    1 Thoughtseize
    2 Dismember
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    3 Winter Orb

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2)

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

I hope you told your R2-opponent to buy some sleeves :-)
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    I hope you told your R2-opponent to buy some sleeves :-)
    I did in fact recommend he buy sleeves.

Holy moly today's deck was fun! I really liked the prison-y aspects of it. I thought I was going to miss having Green Sun's Zenith in a maverick build, but having every creature be great value made up for it. I honestly am not sure what I'd change about the list, other than maybe cut an eldrazi displacer to make room for something else. I realize displacer + most of the creatures in the deck = super great value, but honestly I never even cast a displacer, and didn't feel like having one in play would have made much of a difference in most games. It's a little slow, and there's probably another card that could take at least 1 slot of it. Conclusions made from playing this deck: 1) Palace Jailer is amazing! 2) Renegade Rallier has some serious value. I recurred wasteland and ghost quarter several times by casting this dude, and the tempo swing was generally enough to put at least one nail in the coffin.

Today I played against Junk Loam (splashing red for Punishing fire) (2-0), and esper deathblade (2-0). I drew for the third and final round, and my opponent needed to go home early, so I also left. Would love to play this deck again some time to get a better feel for it. It might be a candidate for the "large tournament exception" rule of this challenge, meaning I can play it in a big event and it's ok :)

Without further rambling, here's the list:

4 Eldrazi Displacer
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Renegade Rallier
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Mother of Runes
    3 Thought-Knot Seer
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze

4 Swords to Plowshares

1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

2 Sylvan Library

4 Windswept Heath
    3 Ghost Quarter
    3 Savannah
    3 Wasteland
    2 Brushland
    2 Forest
    2 Plains
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Karakas
    1 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:

2 Containment Priest
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Thought-Knot Seer
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Palace Jailer
    2 Council's Judgment
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Dismember
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Seal of Cleansing

Recommended changes: -1 Eldrazi Displacer, +1 "metagame dependent card", probably something like gaddock teeg, scavenging ooze, qasali pridemage, Thalia Heretic Cathar. I also considered doing -1 ghost quarter, +1 city of traitors to occasionally have some mana acceleration (it also pairs pretty well with renegade rallier, since playing a land automatically triggers it, and you can then get the city of traitors back, conveniently generating 4 mana which could be used to cast a thoughtknot seer...)
    Nothing in the sideboard felt out of place or wrong, so I like it overall.

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1)

Last edited by Jakobian1010; 03-22-2017 at 12:55 AM.

I played the maverick list again in today's GPT event, ended up going 1-3 drop. I lost to Burn twice, beat UR landstill, and lost to RG lands as well. Not a great day overall.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

@Jakobian1010: Why not a few copies of Recruiter of the Guard? It can search for most pieces of your deck and has some serious synergy with Displacer.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    @Jakobian1010: Why not a few copies of Recruiter of the Guard? It can search for most pieces of your deck and has some serious synergy with Displacer.
    I like this idea.

Yesterday for weekly legacy, mistakes were made. Shardless BUG is felt very underclassed in the current metagame. I'm not sure how it's in the "decks to beat" part of the source. I went 0-2-1. My matchups and results were: 12-post (0-2), Miracles (1-1-1), and Grixis delver (1-2). I'd say the deck is basically just too slow for the metagame I played against. I went to time vs miracles, and vs grixis delver I struggled to get board presence after he surgical extracted my tarmogoyfs. Game 2 took forever because of the aforementioned surgical extraction on goyf, and I had to rely on extremely sub-par win conditions. I think the list wants at least 1 true-name nemesis somewhere in the mix, or at least something better than tarmogoyf. Goyf is just too easy to kill these days.

Shardless BUG

2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Shardless Agent
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Baleful Strix
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest

4 Ancestral Vision
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Toxic Deluge
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    2 Thoughtseize

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Tropical Island

Sideboard:

1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Duress
    1 Hymn to Taurach
    3 Leyline of the Void
    1 Golgari Charm
    2 Fatal Push
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Null Rod
    1 Sylvan Library

Changes I'd make: Don't play shardless BUG, play a different deck instead.

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1)

Last edited by Jakobian1010; 03-29-2017 at 02:10 AM.

I like this idea.
    I was very tempted to replace 1 Renegade Rallier and 1 Eldrazi Displacer with 2 Recruiter of the Guard. I agree it probably gives the deck more flexibility, and can be abused with displacer + recruiter.

I found out after playing in the larger event that I should probably have something like warmth or kor firewalker in the sideboard for the renegade rallier maverick deck. It loses HARD to burn.

Hello, yesterday was a legacy GPT for Las Vegas at Fire & Dice in Winnetka. I sleeved up infect in an attempt to take it down, but it was not the day for infect. I went 2-3. The matchups were: Dragon stompy (1-2), Grixis (2-1), UB landstill (2-1), Death and Taxes (1-2), and Goblins (0-2). I definitely made a play mistake that cost me a game vs Dragon stompy, but the other losses were mulligans, or opponents having too many removal spells for the amount of counter-magic I had.

Here's the list:

4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Tropical Island
    1 Forest
    1 Pendelhaven
    1 Wasteland
    4 Inkmoth Nexus

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Glistener Elf
    4 Blighted Agent
    1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy

4 Invigorate
    3 Vines of Vastwood
    2 Berserk
    1 Become Immense
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Ponder
    3 Daze
    3 Force of will
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Stifle
    1 Crop Rotation

Sideboard:

1 Pithing Needle
    1 Null Rod
    1 Dismember
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Nature's Claim
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Viridian Corrupter
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Submerge
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Force of Will

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

play some tribal :)
    -rob

Thread Information