Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] The Servant's Stone

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Re: The Servant's Stone

Sword is not a threat, because it only buys time, because counterbalance and counterspells in general deal quite easily with it.

Attractive and Successful
    Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

I'm wondering if there isn't a balls-out combo deck in this. Essentially, you have a combo that doesn't require ten spells to kill the opponent. I would facilitate this with Dark Ritual, Cabal Ritual, LED and Infernal Tutor/Grim Tutor to get the whole thing out.

You'll want something that removes the Swords or Krosan Grips from the opponent, so I see Abeyance or Duress to be worthwhile. I'm really curious about whether you can take this into a pure combo shell. You can even run stuff like Pact of Negation or Meditate because you'll never need to see your next turn anyway.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by hi-val View Post
    I'm wondering if there isn't a balls-out combo deck in this. Essentially, you have a combo that doesn't require ten spells to kill the opponent. I would facilitate this with Dark Ritual, Cabal Ritual, LED and Infernal Tutor/Grim Tutor to get the whole thing out.

You'll want something that removes the Swords or Krosan Grips from the opponent, so I see Abeyance or Duress to be worthwhile. I'm really curious about whether you can take this into a pure combo shell. You can even run stuff like Pact of Negation or Meditate because you'll never need to see your next turn anyway.
    The only question is, is it better than the storm combo decks that do the same, or Belcher which costs one more mana, but only requires one card?

This combo really opens up doors to one's way of deck-building. You can go so many different routes with it that an optimal list would seem almost foolish to assume. You want to stick with a color theme, but at the same time recognize the power of the Servant. He works just fine with any other colored spells that can do harm on an opponent, not just Grindstone.

I'd consider building a supporting cast of counter-magic and tutor effects set with Tarmogoyf. It's almost not a bad idea (because the Painter assumes the color as well) to give your permanents some sort of colored protection. Pact of Negation would be rather risky because even though the combo is two cards and six mana, you still would need to get it off with acceleration paired with blue mana (assuming you're on the play). Otherwise, probably not.

Either way the idea looks fun.
    Last edited by Michael Keller; 04-21-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

If you really want to be STP resistant, play that goddamn UG version. Play that Loam. Play combo-loam! Academy Ruins just became a hell lot better. If you don't combo, put grindstone to play, mill yourself a bit, wait until you hit academy ruins and life from the loam, then dredge up loam, play it, return academy ruins, tranquil thicket and 1 random land. Then play, pay 1U, put Servant on top, cycle Tranquil Thicket, draw Servant. Wait until next turn, then play servant and mill the crap out of your opponent.

That might sound too slow, but I think that it could be one of the ways to go. A loam shell is always pretty redundant, and with UG, it should be possible to add that much counters, brainstorms to feed dredges and stuff. Also, you could add Mesmeric Orb if necessary.

Althoug I've never built/played Loam, I have a sample decklist:

2 Academy Ruins
    2 Wasteland
    2 Tranquil Thicket
    2 Lonely Sandbar
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Island
    2 Forest

4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Wild Mongrel
    2 Painter's Servant
    4 Trinket Mage
    1 Genesis
    1 Gigapede

4 Life From the Loam
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Grindstone
    4 Intuition

SB:
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Pithing Needle
    4 Stifle
    2 Wasteland
    3 Krosan Grip
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Tabernacle at the Pendrell Vale

Is this doable at all or do it simply suck? I might need some more tutor targets for Trinket Mage MD. Overall, this combo revolves (as you all know) servant + grindstone. Mongrel and Goyf beats and holds back attacks until I get Grindstone or Life From the Loam into play. I play 4 so I can dredge consistently from each loam engine, while I finally pop Academy Ruins into the yard, play loam returning 3 lands, 1 wasteland, 1 ruins and 1 tranquil thicket. I then play ruins, put artifact on top, cycle thicket, play artifact combo piece and wait until next turn or - if you already have it in play - win on the spot. This is a strange, untested hybrid of aggro-control and control-combo. Is this list shit or is it playable?

-willoe
    "You're English is terrible and inconsistent."

-DownSyndromeKarl

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The only question is, is it better than the storm combo decks that do the same, or Belcher which costs one more mana, but only requires one card?
    Except you could do this while not whoring your manabase out to the kill...it's worth trying out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Sep 2005
    Cape cod, Massachusetts

Am i reading this correctly? Combo running into Gaea's blessing = draw?
    Thats quite possibly the easiest hate i have ever seen but could be awesome if you win the first game, and pull it on yourself.
    Personally i agree with Hi-val a quick as possible combo looks like where i would want to bring this.

Quote Originally Posted by vanele View Post
    Thats quite possibly the easiest hate i have ever seen but could be awesome if you win the first game, and pull it on yourself.
    Personally i agree with Hi-val a quick as possible combo looks like where i would want to bring this.
    Or you can run Stifle, that kind of helps.

If you guys want to try this combo in a blue deck with a white splash for Enlightened Tutor, Dreadstill/Enter the Fist seems to be the perfect fit.

If this combo doesn't resolve, you can still beat face with a 12/12 trampler.

That seems to be the general consensus. If this combo sees regular play, Gaea's Blessing should end up making a moderate comeback. That's where Stifle could also come up big.

A solid card that might be worth looking into if you go the Dreadbind route is Artificer's Intuition.

I really don't expect this combo to see regular play competitively in more than maybe random deck or so...

The main problem with this combo is that the best combos that see play in legacy are the ones where both combo pieces or at the very least, one of the combo pieces is very useful on their own.

Lets look at the other two card combos that make the cut in legacy....

Swans + Chain of Plasma - Swans is a very solid 4/3 flyer on it's own that turns your own Bolts into Ancestral Recalls. Chain of Plasma is a solid burn spell on it's own that can kill Confidants, Lackeys and what not.

Counterbalance + Top - Top is very solid in any deck with fetchlands, with or without CB. CB is very solid even without Top since all the decks that run this combo run Brainstorm as well. And even without Brainstorm, CB randomly counters spells.

Dreadnought + Stifle/Trickbind - Stifle/Trickbind are fantastic by themselves, acting as Sinkholes against any deck with fetchlands, and shutting down storm based combo, seals of primordium, and all sorts of random crap. Dreadnought is useless if you have only one copy and no stifle/bind on it's own. It can also be tutored for with Trinket Mages, or recurred with Academy Ruins both of which are very useful in the format so you can always use that to get the card in multiples.

Compared to the three combos ago, this combo just seems weak.

Grindstone is completely worthless by itself. Servant is just 1/3 blocker (worthless unless you are facing goblins), and decent if you run other cards synergic with it (Persecute etc) but even then is no where near as strong as Swan, Chain, Stifle, Trinket Mage, Top or CB by itself.

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    A solid card that might be worth looking into if you go the Dreadbind route is Artificer's Intuition.

The main problem with this combo is that the best combos that see play in this format are the ones where both combo pieces or at the very least, one of the combo pieces is very useful on their own.

Lets look at the other two card combos that make the cut in legacy....

Swans + Chain of Plasma - Swans is a very solid 4/3 flyer on it's own that turns your own Bolts into Ancestral Recalls. Chain of Plasma is a solid burn spell on it's own that can kill Confidants, Lackeys and what not.

Counterbalance + Top - Top is very solid in any deck with fetchlands, with or without CB. CB is very solid even without Top since all the decks that run this combo run Brainstorm as well. And even without Brainstorm, CB randomly counters spells.

Dreadnought + Stifle/Trickbind - Stifle/Trickbind are fantastic by themselves, acting as Sinkholes against any deck with fetchlands, and shutting down storm based combo, seals of primordium, and all sorts of random crap. Dreadnought is useless on it's own but it can be tutored for with Trinket Mages, or recurred with Academy Ruins both of which are very useful in the format. So you can easily get away with running less than 4 Dreadnought if you wish.

By comparison, Grindstone is completely worthless by itself. Servant can be functional as a 1/3 blocker, and decent if you run other cards synergic with it (Persecute etc) but even then is no where near as strong as Swan, Chain, Stifle, Trinket Mage, Top or CB by itself.
    First of all, a Countertop is nowhere in the same category of "combo" than Grindstone+Servant. It helps to control the game, it doesn't make you win the game. If we were to call every synergistic two card interactions combos, we'd have to say Brainstorm+Fetchlands is one also.

Swans+Chain is yet to see play. As far as I know, People are still assembling shells for it and no one could have taken it to a competitive metagame, since it isn't legal yet. I don't see how you can say it has already made de cut.

Also, Trickbind isn't good by itself and Stifle may be dead against enough decks. There is no other single deck in which Trickbind could be played aside from those with Dreadnoughts. Of course it can be useful and worth casting sometimes, but so can be Terror.

Finally, take a look at Breakfast. None of their combo pieces are useful by themselves, but it did see a good amount of play.
    Keep moon-walking.

I'm not saying that the combo isn't viable. Just that it doesn't seem quite as good as the other combos in the format.

Breakfast stopped being played for the same reason you described, that it was just better to play good cards like Goyf rather than cards that do nothing on their own.

The other problem with this combo is that the best artifact tutor (Trinket Mage) can tutor for only one of the combo pieces.

I was thinking that this combo could fit into a MBC deck as so that you can use Beseech which tutors for both combo pieces, and Persecute which works well with Servant.

But then, you're probably a lot better off playing the Staff of Domination + Magus of the Coffers combo since both cards actually work very well in the deck by themselves.

So blue is probably the best fit with a splash for E. Tutor, but arriving at a build that is actually superior in some way to regular old Dreadstill, Landstill etc might be a challenge.

Source Random
    Aug 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

Agreed
    stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaiminho View Post
    arguments against stuff
    I agree with Jaiminho.
    more stuff
    I don't like the idea of this combo in MBC. I think mono or works better. In this case it is better to be reactive to hate (Counterspell) rather than proactive (Thoughtseize).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    This thread disgusts me. Carry on.

Sep 2005
    Cape cod, Massachusetts

The other problem with this combo is that the best artifact tutor (Trinket Mage) can tutor for only one of the combo pieces.
    Fabricate hits the same cost, albeit it doesn't chump goyf for a turn but can grab either or.

Wow, Fabricate is a great find, the artifact goes into your hand unlike Enlightened Tutor too.

Yes, it doesn't come with a 2/2 body, but I think being able to tutor for either combo piece might be worth the trade off.

So perhaps...

4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Fabricate
    3 Servant
    3 Millstone

Now the question is, should the deck also play...

Phyrexian Dreadnought
    Vision Charm/Stifle/Trickbind
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Counterbalance
    Standstill
    One Ofs: EE, Pithing Needle, Tormod's Crypt
    Mishra's Factory
    Academy Ruins
    Wasteland
    Swords to Plowshares/Oblivion Ring

Vision Charm is especially impressive because not only does it combo with Phyrexian Dreadnought, but when you have only one of your combo pieces in play, you can phase it out in reponse to a Naturalize or Oblivion Ring to protect the artifact until you can cast the second combo piece next turn.

This is of course on top of the autoincludes

Fetchlands + Duals + Basics
    4 Brainstorm
    4 FoW
    3 Spell Snare
    3 Daze

We certainly have our work cut out for us.

Sep 2005
    Cape cod, Massachusetts

What about something like the Faerie stompy shell:

// Lands
    1 [MR] Seat of the Synod
    9 [OD] Island (1)
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    4 [EX] City of Traitors

// Creatures
    3 [LRW] Mulldrifter
    4 [CHK] Painter's servant
    4 [R] Serendib Efreet
    3 [UL] Cloud of Faeries
    4 [P2] Sea Drake
    4 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
    3 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    3 [TE] Grindstone
    4 [MR] Fabricate
    4 [MR] Chrome Mox

That way you can beat or assemble combo, whichever way the deck feels liek going.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by vanele View Post
    Nope; Gaea's Blessing has a triggered ability. After Grindstone's ability has milled all your library (including Blessing) into the graveyard, and only then, will Blessing's ability go on the stack and resolve, shuffling your graveyard back in your library.

So Blessing disrupts this combo, but does not cause a draw.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

I would definately play Fabricate over Trinket Mage for this combo, esp in a mono blue deck that can't support Enlightened Tutor like Faeirie Stompy. Being able to tutor for either half of the combo is so much more important than a vanilla 2/2 body. And running playsets of both Fabricate and Mage isn't a good idea imo as that takes up a lot of slots and both cards are fairly high casting cost. There are just so many solid cards in blue to waste 8 slots on 3cc tutors.

I dont' think Fairie Stompy is the right fit for this combo though.

Combo decks need to play Brainstorm on top of the tutoring effects if they hope to be consistent at all. And F. Stompy doesn't run Brainstorm right now. You would have to cut Chalice of the Void out completely to support both Grindstone and Brainstorm. And at that point, you might as well play Dreadnought and Stifle as well to give you one other game winning combo.

If you do want to run this in F. Stompy and would cut Chalice to do so, you should absolutely run six fetchlands and four brainstorm in the build.

Here is a sample build...

Combo Fairies

// Lands
    3 [ON] Polluted Delta
    3 [ON] Flooded Strand
    3 [OD] Island
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    4 [EX] City of Traitors

// Creatures
    4 [CK] Painter's Servant
    4 [RV] Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 [RV] Serendib Efreet
    4 [P2] Sea Drake
    2 [MR] Trinket Mage

// Spells
    4 [6E] Brainstorm
    4 [DS] Stifle
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [MR] Fabricate
    4 [MR] Chrome Mox
    3 [TE] Grindstone
    2 [TS] Vision Charm

Vision Charm serves double duty in not only comboing with Dreadnought but also protecting your other artifacts by phasing them out in response to removal. That's why I opted to run it over Trickbind.

Just for fun, I decided to throw in both the Dreadnought combo and the Servant's Stone combo. If you're playing combo, why not go all out and include as many synergic combos as possible. The deck has so many different options as to how to play out any hand that it should have no problem simultanously confusing both yourself and your opponent.

It could also work in Fairie Stompy's sideboard to get around all the creature hate opponents bring in, and fetchlands combined with a random Taiga, Engineered Explosives and tutoring gives you one more out against Goyf.

But at the end of the day, I think the best route for this combo is in a Uw controllish shell running...

Fetchlands + Duals + Basics
    4 Brainstorm
    4 FoW
    X Spell Snare
    X Daze

4 Enlightened Tutor
    X Fabricate
    X Servant
    X Millstone

The main thing we need to figure out right now is which of the below cards to include in the deck...

Sensei's Divining Top
    Counterbalance
    Standstill
    One Ofs: EE, Pithing Needle, Tormod's Crypt
    Mishra's Factory
    Academy Ruins
    Wasteland
    Phyrexian Dreadnought
    Vision Charm/Stifle/Trickbind
    Swords to Plowshares/Oblivion Ring

If you opt to also run Dreadnought, Vision Charm is especially impressive because not only does it combo with Phyrexian Dreadnought, but when you have only one of your combo pieces in play, you can phase it out in reponse to a Naturalize or Oblivion Ring to protect the artifact until you can cast the second combo piece next turn.

I didn't have time to read the whole thread unfortunately, but I wanted to add my two cents.

Painter's Servant is a really good utility creature, for all those who things he is useless without the combo:
    -Misdirection
    -Force of Will
    -BEB/Hydroblast

Think about it, I think if you run 8 of the above in some combination maindeck, protecting the combo got a lot better.

Thread Information