Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Commander 2019 Spoilers

Re: Commander 2019 Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Neat, but Mass Polymorph Exiles, so it wouldn't trigger Atla.

Mirror Entity plus something like Ashnod's Altar would work though. Actually, I'm dumb, you could also just activate Entity for 0.
    That's what I was trying to say. Entity for zero to do mass polymorph.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    That's what I was trying to say. Entity for zero to do mass polymorph.
    Oh, haha, I thought you meant to cast it...

I think the key to a "good" Atla deck is, like a "good" Oath deck, is to not have too many creatures you don't want to hit on the reveal. Entity might be the only one worth playing. Then again, maybe not even that...

I'm intrigued for casual/competitive EDH with her.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Oh, haha, I thought you meant to cast it...

I think the key to a "good" Atla deck is, like a "good" Oath deck, is to not have too many creatures you don't want to hit on the reveal. Entity might be the only one worth playing. Then again, maybe not even that...

I'm intrigued for casual/competitive EDH with her.
    Well, if you Have Mirror entity and the Commander, and Kikki/Resto in your deck you win on the spot. The combo only requires X more creatures in play where X is the other non-combo creatures in your deck.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Hey Skullclamp's new EDH best friend.
    This + sac outlet (e.g. Goblin Bombardment) + Arcane Adapation/Conspiracy = go through all your creatures in your deck while dealing damage.

Ashnod's Altar + Intruder Alert also works, all while gettings tons of activations from tap creatures.

All of that is super-janky, though.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I screenshotted the f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ second two spoiled cards from the stream. More coming

I know it's a little late, but this + the 1 drop that gives all your vampires madness plus some other madness stuff means you get to loot away your whole deck if you play stuff like Shadow of the Grave to get stuff back mid combo. Finish it off by ritual out patriarchs bidding with an anger in the yard. That's not good right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Well, if you Have Mirror entity and the Commander, and Kikki/Resto in your deck you win on the spot. The combo only requires X more creatures in play where X is the other non-combo creatures in your deck.
    Yeah, I like Atla, it's a real neat card. But I personally prefer to grind out value rather than just combo winning in EDH though, but I could see

Neat way to "attack" ramp decks...

(That card was missing from the Flashback deck previews before.)

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Is Tectonic Hellion good enough for like BR Reanimator? They play a variety of nonland mana sources, so they're at low risk to hitting themselves with the ability, and a haste hit for 8 isn't nothing. This coming out on Turn 2 and killing both your lands seems like it would be a problem for a few decks. And even after that if you each have 1 land then you're both out of lands but still getting hit for 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Is Tectonic Hellion good enough for like BR Reanimator? They play a variety of nonland mana sources, so they're at low risk to hitting themselves with the ability, and a haste hit for 8 isn't nothing. This coming out on Turn 2 and killing both your lands seems like it would be a problem for a few decks. And even after that if you each have 1 land then you're both out of lands but still getting hit for 8.
    That's a tough one. I am certainly not all that knowledgeable on Reanimator.

One "issue" is that, if you went first, and got this first turn, it would cost you your own land. Now, you can control that to some degree in later turns, by possibly holding back lands, plus Haste is good and 8 power is nice. However, it's not clear that it would be, in general, better than Tidespout Tyrant, Sire of Insanity, or Ashen Rider (which seem to be the "more common" ways to beat Karakas).

Something to definitely consider though, I think.

May 2015
    PDX

I would think that Lotus Field in a not- deck (except for Tectonic Hellion) would be the most responsible starting point.

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

That's a tough one. I am certainly not all that knowledgeable on Reanimator.

One "issue" is that, if you went first, and got this first turn, it would cost you your own land. Now, you can control that to some degree in later turns, by possibly holding back lands, plus Haste is good and 8 power is nice. However, it's not clear that it would be, in general, better than Tidespout Tyrant, Sire of Insanity, or Ashen Rider (which seem to be the "more common" ways to beat Karakas).

Something to definitely consider though, I think.
    Correct on the play, but even if they do hit you and lose their land, unless you have StP what are your options? You play something and lose your land on their next attack.
    Sire of Insanity is a good example of an equally hard lock, since the ability has haste, but a slower clock.
    On the Draw it seems really good, and even late in the game it can threaten Planeswalkers. Reanimators have a challenging time against a resolved Jace and Liliana since, anything they play out is lost on their opponent's turn.

It's not Griselbrand, but what is?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

On the Draw it seems really good, and even late in the game it can threaten Planeswalkers. Reanimators have a challenging time against a resolved Jace and Liliana since, anything they play out is lost on their opponent's turn.
    Well, Haste is pretty good. But Ashen Rider likely cleans up problem permanents better, in general, since it can't be chumped in that degree. We'll have to see about this Hellion. Just randomly clocking for 8 isn't terrible, but that alone isn't terribly great either. Just not sure on the land sac'ing ability off the top of my head.

This is the exact sort of win-more card I don't want in my token decks, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I know it's a little late, but this + the 1 drop that gives all your vampires madness plus some other madness stuff means you get to loot away your whole deck if you play stuff like Shadow of the Grave to get stuff back mid combo. Finish it off by ritual out patriarchs bidding with an anger in the yard. That's not good right?
    It's probably not good enough. It's basically a fluctuator variant with lands that don't cycle, but you do get to run stuff like the Bloodghast / Insolent Neonate package in-tribe, and Basking Rootwalla/call to the netherworld.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It's probably not good enough. It's basically a fluctuator variant with lands that don't cycle, but you do get to run stuff like the Bloodghast / Insolent Neonate package in-tribe, and Basking Rootwalla/call to the netherworld.
    Not to mention that your "Plan B," that is, just being a janky Vampire Aggro deck, is probably slightly better than the plan of a Fluctuator deck that never draws Fluctuator. The problem is, it's "Easier" to find Fluctuator, since all your card "naturally" just Cycle. If you figure you can run 4 Cavern of Souls though, it might be easier to resolve Anje/Falkenrath Gorger. Trouble is, you are soft to removal then and you need to find both of those to really "do the thing."

Yeah, I think the deck would likely be "about" as good as something like Fluctuator, give or take a bit.

bruizar

Atla is a flavor win, Tectonic Hellion looks like a manaless dredge card to me where you get to reset the opponent to turn zero. Dread Return, smash, finish it up

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Not a Legacy card, but in terms of design space, is this the first equipment that you can attach to an opponent's creature?

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Correct on the play, but even if they do hit you and lose their land, unless you have StP what are your options? You play something and lose your land on their next attack.
    Sire of Insanity is a good example of an equally hard lock, since the ability has haste, but a slower clock.

It's not Griselbrand, but what is?
    Is Tectonic Hellion better or worse than Terastodon? I vote worse.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Not a Legacy card, but in terms of design space, is this the first equipment that you can attach to an opponent's creature?
    I think so. Not only that, but you can't actually equip it to your own creature.

I kind of like this for EDH, basically gets you the worst Instant or Sorcery from someone's yard.

Meh, Madness, but still not a great Obliterator "clone."

Too expensive for Legacy, but the abilities to enable madness, turn every card you have into a free Raise Dead, or to let you discard creature cards you draw to give them haste seems really strong.

May 2015
    PDX

So somewhere between an overcosted Anger, why am I not playing Hogaak instead, and doesn’t make a Grisel.

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Is Tectonic Hellion better or worse than Terastodon? I vote worse.
    I think it's relative to the speed it comes out.

Like comparing Sire of Insanity to Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur. Whether or not my opponent has made their second land drop would matter to which answer I would want.
    A fast Terastodon to nuke their land(s) and give them Elephants seems risky, all-in and underwhelming compared to hitting valuable targets or providing yourself with blockers to change combat math in your favor.
    A fast Tectonic Hellion represents them needing land + StP in the next 2 turns, with no opportunity to cantrip for one without the other.

Again, I stress, it's not Girselbrand. So were already several degrees removed from the best creature.

Thread Information