Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Re: [DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Would it be unreasonable to run 2 blood moons in the main board of the UWr list? We're usually fetching up basics first anyway, just seems like an easy throw in. Sure, you aren't gonna get the "got you!" moment in the sideboard games, but I feel like people are expecting a blood moon more game 2 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mistervader View Post
    Had a top 8 run today with the deck. First time I ever played Miracles and went with the stock UW list. Too drained to do a report, but I won vs Eldrazi twice, once vs Stoneblade, lost vs Grixis Delver, and drew against the mirror.

I messed up my top 8 vs Dredge. I may have overboarded against it, and mana screwed myself in game 3. Any ideas in dealing with Dredge?

Good finish! I think the plan vs Dredge is to counter their initial draw spell and Surgical on Ichorid but I could be wrong.

Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Mar 2014

Great news!

Johannes Gutbrod 1st place at mkm series in Prague with Mentor Miracles.
    Kevin Wagner top 4 at mkm series in Prague with Miracle (lose in semi-finals from Johannes).

Congrats to the players!
    Unexpectedly result?

Good stuff! Congrats to the winners!

Edwin Pena piloted Miracles to a 2nd place finish at Snapcasters' "Legacy Quest for Power 4" tonight as well, and congrats to him! Hopefully decklists are up soon.

I am the guy who lost to Johannes in the semis of prague, pretty sad that we couldnt get an all miracles finale.

I switched over from a 21 land 1 entreat 0 mentor deck to a 20 land 2 mentor decl after the trial on the day before (top 16,yay) due to time limitations, ocerall the deck felt strong, though the brain-drain over the course of 12 hours is definitely exhausting.

Quick recap of my matches:

Bye
    2-0 vs Elves
    2-1 va Bug Lands
    2-0 vs Grixis Delver
    2-0 vs Jund
    2-0 vs Grixis Delver
    0-2 vs Grixis Delver (JPA)
    2-1 vs Grixis Control
    ID vs RUG Lands
    2-1 vs Esper Delver
    0-2 vs Mentor Miracles

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    Great news!

Johannes Gutbrod 1st place at mkm series in Prague with Mentor Miracles.
    Kevin Wagner top 4 at mkm series in Prague with Miracle (lose in semi-finals from Johannes).

Congrats to the players!
    Unexpectedly result?

Just to put decklists here for easy reference:

Johannes Gutbrod – Mentor Miracles

3 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Mountain
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Portent
    2 Counterspell
    1 Flusterstorm
    3 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Monastery Mentor
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Terminus
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Predict

// Sideboard

2 Flusterstorm
    3 Pyroblast
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Pyroclasm
    1 Wear // Tear
    1 Relic of Progenitus

Kevin Wagner – Miracles

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Island
    2 Plains

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Portent
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Counterspell
    4 Predict
    2 Unexpectedly Absent
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Monastery Mentor
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Force of Will
    4 Terminus

// Sideboard

2 Flusterstorm
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Wear // Tear
    1 Entreat the Angels
    1 Blood Moon

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

If you want to watch the Semifinals (Mirror match) they recorded it! Find it here:
    http://series.magiccardmarket.eu/201...-kevin-wagner/
    Quote Originally Posted by B88 View Post

People Use Statistics as a Drunk Uses a Lamppost — For Support Rather Than Illumination

Spoiler Warning: I play terribly in that semi, including a missed portent trigger and also some pretty questionable sequncing and a questionable jace activation. All around unclean play on my part, though playing mtg for 12 hours eventually gets to you.

[DTB] UWx Miracle Control

Is there a consensus about maindeck mentors now? They always felt so vunerable and EtA always so powerful to me. I have only played 2 mentors in the board though. Maybe it's the second or third mentor that actually is a wincon.

I'm beginning to think Mentor is better than EtA because it allows you to go as fast or slow as you want. This Johannes Gutbrod list looks really exciting because you can play a fast G1 against decks like Storm and Burn with the full playset of Mentor. You may even be able to stop Lands with it.

This is a really compelling list. Johannes has solved one of the critical problems that has been beguiling Unexpected Miracles players since the ban in that all of the WW-costing spells have been removed, barring hardcast Terminus. This allows him to run a basic Mountain, although I can't help but wonder if a second Volcanic would be better with the Dazes. It is also fetchable off Flooded Strand.

Jan 2017
    Baltimore MD

As promised, here is my secret tech I’ve been working on and complete list with a report of my tournament experience at MTG First Game Center’s Quest for power 9 #4 Mox Sapphire.

Secret tech: Orim’s Chant. This card has been one of my all-time favorites that never see’s play. Let me preface. I purposely went to MTG First two days prior to the event just to pick up 3 Korean copies of the card because I knew at least half the people I was going to play against was going to call a judge for an Oracle check. Sadly, I was only able to pick up Japanese versions. I got 4 Oracle check calls. One person had never even seen the card before. I was all smiles every time. Was also told I was someone’s Hero 3 times by players sitting next to me just for using the card. I couldn’t ask for better reactions lol.

4 Snapcaster Mage

1 Entreat the Angels

4 Swords to Plowshares

4 Brainstorm

4 Ponder

3 Portent

3 Orim’s Chant

2 Flusterstorm

1 Predict

3 Counterspells

1 Unexpectedly Absence

4 Force of Will

3 Terminus

5 Island

2 Plains

1 Karakas

3 Tundra

4 Flooded Strand

4 Polluted Delta

1 Arid Mesa

SB

3 Monastery Mentor

2 Ethersworn Canonist

2 Back to Basics

2 Surgical Extraction

2 Disenchant

1 Containment Priest

1 Isochron Scepter

1 Supreme Verdict

Match 1 Bye

Starting the Day of Right @ 1-0 with perfect breakers.

Match 2 against 4c Stoneblade 0-2

G1. He plays turn one forest than DRS followed by turn two Wasteland into Birds of Paradise. I put him on 4c Stoneblade. He gets a turn three Stonforge mystic tutoring up s Sword of Fire and Ice. I Eot Brainstorm setting up Terminus. Turn four I drop Jace and started to tick up. The next 3-4 turns is when I started to lock out his turns with Orim’s Chant, followed by another Chant, followed by Snapcaster Chant, and a top deck chant until I made my first mistake of the event. I had Jace up to 11 loyalties. I had 5 lands plus Jace on board with a Force and Jace in hand. He casted a True-Name with only had one card hand. A Sword of Fire/Ice and 4 lands in play. I gambled and hard casted FoW which gets Dazed. Had I pitched my Jace I believe I would have won game one.

G2. I tried to jam mentor and Back to Basics not playing around daze. Game lost. We still had 15 mins left in the round. Had I not punted G1 there was more than enough time for G3. Record 1-1

Match 3 against Elves 2-0

G1. I played very well. I played at least two Terminus and countered 3 Natural Order. Played Jace. Between Fate Seal, Portent and 3-4 Orim’s Chant and a Snapcaster Mage on board chipping away. He had enough and concedes.

G2. I side in 2 Ethersworn Canonist, Containment Priest and Isochron Scepter. I jammed a turn two Isochron Scepter with Orim’s Chant attached. He soon concedes after locking him out with mentor and Jace on board. His quote. “Apparently Miracles still beats Elves, I should have played Shardless Bug” Record 2-1

Match 4 against Goblins 1-2

G1. He plays a Mountain and pass. I Portent him and soon find out I’m against Goblins. I make the remark along the lines of “Oh, Nooooooo. Not Goblins” of Course this prompts him to talk about how great Goblins is against Miracles. He follows turn two with Cavern of Souls drops a gobo. The rest of the game went like this. An onslaught of Goblins with 3 Caverns of Souls and Wastelands my Tundra. I concede.

G2. I side out all my counter. Bring in Mentors, Disenchants, Containment Priest and Supreme Verdict. I quickly show him what two Monastery Mentors on board backed up with Orim’s Chants can do.

G3. This game I make my second big mistake of the event that cost me the round. I side in Isochron Scepter knowing he would side out Tuktuk Scrapper. I had a Turn Two Sceptor Chant Lock on him. My mistake was. I had twice not revealed Terminus. And let him tick an Aether Vial to 5. Instead I was trying to find a second plains to hard cast Supreme verdict. I got over confident with chant lock. I needed two more turns to Jace ultimate him out of the game. He vials in EoT Siege-Gang Commander. Sacs two creatures than his turn sacs 3 for the kill. I knew I should have just wiped the board with terminus earlier. I had two terminus set on top of the deck when he killed me. It was bad sequencing. I still feel this match-up is favorable with Orim’s Chant. In fact. I was running a Double Gideon of the Trials plus an Entreat the Angels list after the Ban and never once lost to Goblins online I’ve never seen so many Rage Quits. Record 2-2.

Match 5 against Eldrazi Stompy 2-1

G1. Turn one He plays Ancient Tomb into Chalice. At some point in the game I Unexpectedly Absence away the Chalice and Counter it next turn. Kids, Rule Number 1 Playing Miracles. Don’t Fear Chalice. Rule Number 2. Never concede a game until the very end. He ends up playing a Smasher and Swings for 13 damage. This would have put me to 5. My Orim’s Chant kept him from ever getting attacks in prior. The only other damage I’ve taken was from my own fetchlands. With only a Jace in hand I concede. I look at my next card and it was a Terminus. And he had zero cards in hand.

G2 and G3. Mentor and Orim’s Chant did all the work. Record 3-2

Match 6 against UB Reanimate

G1. His turn one fetches for U. Sea. Careful Study pitching a Griselbrand. I had a hand along the lines of. Snapcaster Mage, Flusterstorm, FoW, Orim’s Chant, Brainstorm, Flooded Strand and Terminus. I draw a second terminus. Play a Strand, pass and Smile. He plays another U. Sea. Casts Reanimate I save my Counters. Cast Brainstorm keep two lands with two terminus on top. Griselbrand enters play. He draws 7 which puts him at 4 life. He discards down to seven with another Griselbrand and a Tidespout Tyrant in the bin. My next turn is terminus. I than Orim’s chant his upkeep. He gets a little frustrated and asks me the name of the card 2-3 times than informed me that he never even seen the card before in his whole life. After the fourth Oracle request of the day. /smile. I follow this up with Snapcaster Mage and Orim’s Chant in his next upkeep. He fetches and tries to FoW but I have a hand full of counterspells with a FoW in hand aswell. He Dies on my Turn 4 with a Snapcaster Mage crackback.

G2. He Pitches Baby Jace to the Yard with a Careful Study. Turn Two he reanimates it. I Unexpectedly Absence Baby Jace to the top of his library. I stall him a few turns with Orim’s Chant. He plays Baby Jace that flips next turn which looted Iona into the bin. He Exumes in Iona naming white. I get a Mentor off the Exhume. With a hand full of counterspells and a brainstorm. He casts a Show and Tell which quickly gets countered. I Brainstorm Find JTMS and a Surgical Extraction. I cast Jace. Bounce his Iona. He follows up killing his own Jace targeting Exhume. He only has a Griselbrand in the bin which gets Surgical Extracted. He concedes, starring down a board with JTMS, Mentor, 3-4 tokens and grip full of cards. Record 4-2

Going into the last round. With my breakers I have a chance getting into top 8 if I win out.

Match 7 against Esper Stoneblade 0-2

I was matched up the gentleman who had beaten my teammate round 1, whom ran my almost identical list but chose to Main deck 1 Scepter and two in Side at last moment.

G1 and G2. It wasn’t that I played badly. Stoneblade just isn’t the best match up for Miracles. He also knew my deck having played against it Match 1.

Record 4-3

The Entreat the Angels Version is phenomenal against a Heavy Combo Meta and D&T. I found myself siding into Mentors almost every match except for Elves. I casted Entreat the Angel only twice the whole event… Back to Mentors and Orim’s Chant online.

Quote Originally Posted by crowe_1 View Post
    Good finish! I think the plan vs Dredge is to counter their initial draw spell and Surgical on Ichorid but I could be wrong.

Yeah. I think that's what I did wrong. Game 1, I counterspelled his blind Cabal Therapy when I should have let it through. He then went YOLO after that into double LED into Breakthrough into insane stuff. I won game 2, then got mana screwed on 1 Island and no other lands I. game 3 even after a mull to 6 and a scry down. I also boarded in Leyline of Sanctity which I feel was an overreaction to Cabal.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Arschmann View Post
    I'm beginning to think Mentor is better than EtA because it allows you to go as fast or slow as you want. This Johannes Gutbrod list looks really exciting because you can play a fast G1 against decks like Storm and Burn with the full playset of Mentor. You may even be able to stop Lands with it.

This is a really compelling list. Johannes has solved one of the critical problems that has been beguiling Unexpected Miracles players since the ban in that all of the WW-costing spells have been removed, barring hardcast Terminus. This allows him to run a basic Mountain, although I can't help but wonder if a second Volcanic would be better with the Dazes. It is also fetchable off Flooded Strand.
    Well, me and Johannes we tested the deck so much and our work has a relly good payoff i think!

Johannes is a great driver and i hope that the deck will get more credits than before, when it was considered an "unusual" deck.

Mar 2014

Quote Originally Posted by stnikolauswagne View Post
    I am the guy who lost to Johannes in the semis of prague, pretty sad that we couldnt get an all miracles finale.

I switched over from a 21 land 1 entreat 0 mentor deck to a 20 land 2 mentor decl after the trial on the day before (top 16,yay) due to time limitations, ocerall the deck felt strong, though the brain-drain over the course of 12 hours is definitely exhausting.

Quick recap of my matches:

Bye
    2-0 vs Elves
    2-1 va Bug Lands
    2-0 vs Grixis Delver
    2-0 vs Jund
    2-0 vs Grixis Delver
    0-2 vs Grixis Delver (JPA)
    2-1 vs Grixis Control
    ID vs RUG Lands
    2-1 vs Esper Delver
    0-2 vs Mentor Miracles
    Congrats man, your final result was great (you have faced a lot of Grixis).
    Your switch result right, for sure Mentor is more fast then Angels.
    In the "new classic" Miracle Topless shell, imho Mentor (2x) is one of the two right wincon (with Jace too).

Johannes Gutbrod wrote a report: https://snapcardster.com/blog/its-a-...-back-victory/
    and also gave an interview: https://snapcardster.com/blog/meet-t...utbrod-legacy/

Well written

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuri117 View Post
    Would it be unreasonable to run 2 blood moons in the main board of the UWr list? We're usually fetching up basics first anyway, just seems like an easy throw in. Sure, you aren't gonna get the "got you!" moment in the sideboard games, but I feel like people are expecting a blood moon more game 2 anyway.
    If I had to register a 4 Predict Miracles list tomorrow, I would be playing a maindeck Blood Moon.

Jan 2017
    Baltimore MD

Today I played 5 matches with a tweaked Chant list. I went 4-1 my loss was due to timing out vs the UW Stax list that just 5-0 recently. I really think Orim's Chant is the nuts especially online with all the combo decks. Or am I just going into the wrong direction?

List:

4 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Entreat the Angels
    1 Isochron Scepter
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Portent
    3 Swords to Plowshare
    3 Orim's Chant
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Predict
    3 Counterspell
    1 Unexpectedly Absence
    4 Force of Will
    3 Terminus
    5 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Karakas
    3 Tundra
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Arid Mesa

SB
    3 Monastery Mentor
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Back to Basics
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Disenchant
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Vendilion Clique

Maybe a better player than I willing to test the list out?

Mar 2014

Hi Munchyman.
    Your Orim's Chant tech seems nice.
    I don't know if this is a right way to go: for sure the classic Miracle list works great and the Mentor works great too.
    This 2 builds are tested by the players all over the world and this give us a lot of feedback.
    Your results seems good, we need to test the tech.
    Losing by a UW Stax list have no relevance because UW Stax do not exist in the real meta.

PS: 14 sideboard cards?

[DTB] UWx Miracle Control

I played again yesterday. Won versus infect and Esperblade. Lost versus death and taxes then had to leave. How do you guys board versus white weeny? I took out my 7 counters and added 2 mentor, 2 clique, 2 disenchant and 1 BtB.

I like scepter in the orim's chant deck, but i dont like orims chant all that much. Why not just put UA under scepter and its gg versus fair decks. CS would be nice versus combo.

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    I played again yesterday. Won versus infect and Esperblade. Lost versus death and taxes then had to leave. How do you guys board versus white weeny? I took out my 7 counters and added 2 mentor, 2 clique, 2 disenchant and 1 BtB.

I like scepter in the orim's chant deck, but i dont like orims chant all that much. Why not just put UA under scepter and its gg versus fair decks. CS would be nice versus combo.
    Kozelik's Return is your best SB card, as it's an instant and it gets around Mom.

Thread Information