Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers

@Cire: immediately -3 Mystic Sanctuary, add 3 Daze, then make room for a 4th Daze. Question with Foil becomes what you're pitching that advances gameplan by virtue of being in the yard (or madness-enabled). Secondary to that, you're playing a lot of blue and you're going to have to answer a lot of questions with your remaining slots. You have to be able to either not care about or stop C. Priest, RiP, Choke, Narset - and this is just the short list.

You have ~12 slots left, and you need an instant/sorcery-based CA engine. You need a way to win the game. That way to win the game has to be reliable against things like Depths and Vial. Your deck has to reliably survive until turn 4 (but really, turn 5) and prefer playing long games.

UB Mill is probably a better launching point, but even this deck has Islands on board issues as they will play more aggressive land counts with GQ/Field of Ruin. They do at least have this idea of Archive Trap turning on Visions of Beyond, and Sanctuary picking up either piece of this synergistic combo with value stapled on.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

one really janky combo would be with trade routes and temporal mastery.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    So unless I'm misreading Mystic Sanctuary, it only does the thing if it ETB'd untapped. (turn 4 play, card drawn on turn 5)
    The thing that I mis-read was that it's top-deck rather than to hand.

That said, there are decks that cheat on land count. This could be pretty good in egg decks if Second Sunrise gets a fetchland back and a free draw into play, and then sanctuary puts Second Sunrise back on top. Of course eggs is pretty awful in legacy. (Maybe they're trying to support that kind of deck with sanctuary and Brought Back.)

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    one really janky combo would be with trade routes and temporal mastery.
    Temporal Mastery Exiles itself. Any other Time Walk effect works, provided you can actually win.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by whienot View Post
    Temporal Mastery Exiles itself. Any other Time Walk effect works, provided you can actually win.
    Man I'm on a roll for not reading cards today!
    -rob

I think the biggest Legacy sleeper of the set is going to be Vantress Gargoyle.

A 5/4 flyer for 1U is stupid beyond belief, and it's pretty much always going to be able to attack vs. any kind of Xerox deck, and vs. pretty much anything except stax if the decks running it just put in Thought Scour as one of their cantrips.

The fact that it positively trades with Delver even without being able to attack is pretty key I think.

Yeah the Gargoyle is pretty solid in a format where graveyards fill up very quickly and he dodges bolt as well and pitches to Force.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Yeah the Gargoyle is pretty solid in a format where graveyards fill up very quickly and he dodges bolt as well and pitches to Force.
    It dodges Bolt, but becomes attackable via artifact removal.

I'll withhold final judgement about it until I've seen it action. It could be a more aggressive flying Goyf, who knows. Stuff like Burning Inquiry should enable it pretty quickly, too.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It dodges Bolt, but becomes attackable via artifact removal.

I'll withhold final judgement about it until I've seen it action. It could be a more aggressive flying Goyf, who knows. Stuff like Burning Inquiry should enable it pretty quickly, too.
    If it goes anywhere, expect more Abrades and Kolaghan’s Commands

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Entomb...
    -why aren't you making a Grisel
    You're Tin Fins going for the Plan C non-Grisel Tendrils kill because there's a Needle on Grisel and Abrupt Decays are for chumps not trying to turn 1 people, but you forgot that you need 4 Islands in play.

OR

how exactly are you going long in a deck with Entomb
    You're a 27+ land deck who decided not to get Life from the Loam to troll Surgical Extraction for days.

These are the only 2 cases I can think of....

Any other Time Walk effect works, provided you can actually win.
    The "winning" part is challenging given that your combo costs 6 mana per turn (Time Warp is the next cheapest one), and building up more mana is challenging since you spend each land drop replaying Mystic. So you can get infinite turns with 0 land drops and -6 mana, but what do you do with them?

Then there's the matter of surviving until you hit 6 lands and assemble a 2-card combo (Trade Routes + Time Warp). If the rest of your deck is capable of keeping you alive until that, why not win right away with RiP+Helm or Exarch+Twin or other 2-card combos...

Gargoyle looks amazing. The drawback is cards like Gurmag Angler and Dreadhorde Arcanist actively sabotage your efforts to fill their yard. It needs the right home to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    If it goes anywhere, expect more Abrades and Kolaghan’s Commands
    I'm not so high on this card
    It does look cool on the surface but in a lot of ways I think it's a 2-mana Pteramander
    (Not dying to Wrenn is a thing I guess but still)

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    I'm not so high on this card
    It does look cool on the surface but in a lot of ways I think it's a 2-mana Pteramander
    (Not dying to Wrenn is a thing I guess but still)
    It's a Ptermander with better game against RUG (dodges Bolt & Wrenn, blocks turn 1 Delver, flies to kill Wrenn).

But it's awful against Swamp. Hymn to Tourach and friends stop you from blocking, Gurmag Angler and friends stop you from attacking.

Unfortunately red can just use Abrade and Cindervines to deal with it, so it's only a temporary metagame solution.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    The "winning" part is challenging given that your combo costs 6 mana per turn (Time Warp is the next cheapest one), and building up more mana is challenging since you spend each land drop replaying Mystic. So you can get infinite turns with 0 land drops and -6 mana, but what do you do with them?

Then there's the matter of surviving until you hit 6 lands and assemble a 2-card combo (Trade Routes + Time Warp). If the rest of your deck is capable of keeping you alive until that, why not win right away with RiP+Helm or Exarch+Twin or other 2-card combos..
    If the Mystic Sanctuary / Time Warp thing has any traction, it will be in modern where taking turns is already borderline viable.

I'm also stuck wondering about interactions with Gush and (newly unrestricted) Fastbond in vintage.

The requirement to have three other islands in play is pretty significant. It's a card that you don't want to draw. I imagine that mystic sanctuary will see some testing as a 1-of to be used with fetchlands in games that run long in miracles, and possibly other grindy brainstorm decks.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    The art is even shaped the same way, can't wait for someone to alter mystic sanctuary into an iceberg
    I don't understand. Neither Gush nor Fastbond display an iceberg.

the iceberg is Mystic Sanctuary
    Gush evaporates it

Time Warp will not have any traction in a world where the topdeck plays 3 Pyroblast, 4 Wasteland 4 Daze 3 Spierce 4 FoW 2 FoN

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Time Warp will not have any traction in a world where the topdeck plays 3 Pyroblast, 4 Wasteland 4 Daze 3 Spierce 4 FoW 2 FoN
    It's a good thing almost all those cards are banned in Modern

in order to have a combo you need a way to retrieve Sanctuary every turn. How do you do it in modern?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    in order to have a combo you need a way to retrieve Sanctuary every turn. How do you do it in modern?
    I'm not saying it's good enough, but Trade Routes was printed in both 8th and 9th Editions.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I'm not saying it's good enough, but Trade Routes was printed in both 8th and 9th Editions.
    then we have a combo, ok. 4 Teferi Time Reveler will do the rest

Thread Information