Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Dredge

Re: [Primer] Dredge

I'll probably cut Sphinx from my list. I boarded it out 100% of the time, even when I kept DR Zealot in. In the past it's given me more turn 1 wins in game 1, but you have a good point we probably win those game 1s either way. Don't need to discard their whole hand and attack with 12 3/3s on turn 1.

I'll stick with Zealot over Kolaghan for now. Zealot's haste sticks even if the Zealot dies (you can even sac Zealot to Therapy them pre-combat and have back-up zombies to block if the attack fails). 3/3s are better than 2/2s, and that difference has won me games when there were a number of chump blockers to beat through.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhound View Post
    why not Ashen Ghoul over the shadow?
    i've used it for a long time when playing quadlaser and it worked better than shadow... the only downside is the B manafor reanimating which should almost never be an issue
    just my 2cents
    I would play Ashen Ghoul over Shadow too. 1/1s suck. Manaless plays Nether Shadow only because they can't play Ashen Ghoul.

In my post-board games where Ichorids got extracted AND Bridges got exiled, Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug and Stinkweed Imp beatdown really wasn't getting me there. I don't think another 1/1 would have helped. 1/1s are too slow and too easily stopped.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Anybody watch the Legacy Premier League?

EDIT: Great TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thUU29k8WJY
    Last edited by Ronald Deuce; 10-05-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Kind of a newbie here, and by no means very proficient with the deck but I rode Dredge to 6-2 at the 40 Duals tourney in StL today and it was a lot of fun. I finished 12th. Could do a writeup this week.
    Once you go Legacy...

Oct 2015
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Manroe View Post
    Kind of a newbie here, and by no means very proficient with the deck but I rode Dredge to 6-2 at the 40 Duals tourney in StL today and it was a lot of fun. I finished 12th. Could do a writeup this week.
    I would love to read it!

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

My rounds were as follows:
    Rd1: Merfolk W 2-1
    Rd2: Aggro Loam W 2-0
    Rd3: Sneak and Show L 1-2
    Rd4: UB Shadow W 2-0
    Rd5: Burn W 2-1
    Rd6: Grixis Delver L 1-2 (This still stings, I'll detail more this week but 3 bridges in bottom 6 game three did me in)
    Rd7: UB Shadow W 2-1 (Most intense game 3 I have ever played)
    Rd8: Grixis Control W 2-1

Ended up with a Scrubland, not too shabby!
    Once you go Legacy...

Mausoleum Secrets is one of the newbie's from the new set.
    Instant-speed tutor opens up possibilities, however it isn't a flexible tutor (which I don't like generally) and at 2-cmc it might be tricky for us to even cast in some games.
    I haven't tried testing it in any fashion. Personally I'm not sure we even need it...

Anyone looking to try test this card out here in Dredge?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Mausoleum Secrets is one of the newbie's from the new set.
    Instant-speed tutor opens up possibilities, however it isn't a flexible tutor (which I don't like generally) and at 2-cmc it might be tricky for us to even cast in some games.
    I haven't tried testing it in any fashion. Personally I'm not sure we even need it...

Anyone looking to try test this card out here in Dredge?
    Legacy Dredge doesn't use spells with CMC > 1 (mostly!), it's bacause in turn 2 your hand is already empty (LED involved) or your opponent was on play and already cast some taxing effect or is prepared to counter (spell pierce, spell snare etc..).

It's focused on turn 1-2 play to dodge most hate / countermagic. Manaless doesn't use mana at all.. only alternative costs. S answer to Mausoleum Secrets is negative this card doesn't bring anything to Legacy Dredge.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Legacy Dredge doesn't use spells with CMC > 1 (mostly!), it's bacause in turn 2 your hand is already empty (LED involved) or your opponent was on play and already cast some taxing effect or is prepared to counter (spell pierce, spell snare etc..).
    A related problem is that oftentimes we just don't get to two mana on the board. Last year, I cut Abrupt Decay and added a thirteenth land to address that problem, but it's still there.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub

Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    A related problem is that oftentimes we just don't get to two mana on the board. Last year, I cut Abrupt Decay and added a thirteenth land to address that problem, but it's still there.
    Other games I've hardcast Golgari Grave-Troll... It's hilarious when you flood with a 12 land deck. But yes, this deck doesn't consistently hit 2 mana. I don't run Decay for that reason.

The bigger problem with Mausoleum Secrets is it doesn't advance our gameplan. What would we ever do with it? It only finds a black card, it puts the card in hand instead of GY, and it requires us to already be dredging. It can't find engine stuff like LED or Breakthrough and it puts cards like Ichorid and Bridge from Below into an awkward zone. What would we even tutor for? Street Wraith? Cabal Therapy? Sideboard Abrupt Decay?

Entomb has more live targets and still wasn't good enough to make the cut.

Mar 2009
    Zurich

Mausoleum Secrets is beyond unplayable. Probably even Infernal Tutor would be better. Or Spoils of the Vault. It doesn't help starting the engine, so it's use would be in finding answers to hate, but in order to do that you need to already have creatures in your graveyard, which is not going to happen against hate (LotV, RiP, etc.).

Dredge is not a "graveyard deck", where you can just jam cards that have "graveyard" in their textbox. It's a deck with a specific gameplan which is already strong enough to win against decks without hate. What is missing is a consistent, maindeckable way to combat hate, not another card that depends on the engine but is not part of the engine.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Mausoleum Secrets also only tutors for black cards.
    I think I'd rather try and make Entomb work, but even for that seemingly strong card we don't find space.

Yeah I stopped running Abrupt Decay quite a while ago for the same reasons stated above.
    Since DRS kicked the bucket, I've been concentrating on building the deck & side fast. Not quite fearless, but close...
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    The bigger problem with Mausoleum Secrets is ..... What would we ever do with it?
    This is pretty much where I'm at with this card, I was just wondering if anyone might have found something good to do with it.
    I guess not! It's not something I'm going to be buying or testing with FWIW.

Entomb IS a card I've tested with. I ran it with Ghasts and 4 Dread Return some years back.
    It was fun to play, but had more moving parts and relied on the combo a bit more than simply grinding out zombies like regular LED-dredge will.

OK serious question about new cards: For those of you still playing Abrupt Decay, would you consider replacing it with Assassin's Trophy?

One thing I really hate about this deck is boarding the wrong answers in game 2 because you got almost 0 information in game 1. Assassin's Trophy is a safe pre-emptive swap in game 2, answering a wider range of answers than Decay. Namely you don't lose on turn 0 if they brought in LotV, but you also don't lose to say Containment Priest if you had brought in Nature's Claim. How often does the uncounterable clause come up? Is Decay often coming in against blue decks, or are those decks just running Surgical anyway?

If you were running it, would you play 13 lands main + 1 land SB?

For those of you still playing Abrupt Decay, would you consider replacing it with Assassin's Trophy?
    If you were running it, would you play 13 lands main + 1 land SB?
    When I was running AD, the *cannot be countered* text is sooooo important.
    I used to run a couple of petals in the side for it too.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

OK serious question about new cards: For those of you still playing Abrupt Decay, would you consider replacing it with Assassin's Trophy?
    I may be going pretty far out on a limb, and you weren't asking me, but I actually think that Trophy is a trap for a lot of decks. It answers certain things for which the other available tools are relatively narrow or clunky, but I don't think Trophy is any less clunky than Decay. Decay's major strength was (as Slave said) "can't be countered," and I found it to be no more versatile (maybe even less so) than cards like Chain of Vapor. I may well be wrong, though; if you're ok with paying {B}{G}, give it a whirl and let us know how it goes!

Omae wa mou shindeiru

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Am I the only one here thinking that Radical Idea might be a fine addition to the deck? Historically, Dredge never had an instant speed draw spell (with the exception of Street Wraith, but removing food to feed an Ichorid scares me a bit) and Careful Study looks like the first card that I might starting to cut.

I know, two mana are A LOT.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by meffeo View Post
    Am I the only one here thinking that Radical Idea might be a fine addition to the deck? Historically, Dredge never had an instant speed draw spell (with the exception of Street Wraith, but removing food to feed an Ichorid scares me a bit) and Careful Study looks like the first card that I might starting to cut.

I know, two mana are A LOT.
    Compare this card to Deep Analysis same cost + 3 life vs drawing 2 cards. Answer is not - Deep Analysis doesn't have place in Dredge since 2009. Sure it's not discard outlet - but on turn 2 if you didn't start to dredge this mean you lose.

Mar 2009
    Zurich

So I've been on the 4 Street Wraith plan for a while. SW are good, but not amazing. I'm thinking about switching them for more Putrid Imps and drawspells.

It would look something like this:

4 SW
    2 PImp
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Careful Study
    3 Breakthrough

-->

4 PImp
    4 Looting
    4 Study
    3 Breakthrough

Does anyone have experience with this setup, especially in sideboard games? It's weaker against Chalice I think, but the extra PImps are great against Flusterstorms. Against non-blue and non-Chalice decks it should be stronger postboard because the drawspells are more consistent.

Can i have a discord invi???

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    So I've been on the 4 Street Wraith plan for a while. SW are good, but not amazing. I'm thinking about switching them for more Putrid Imps and drawspells.
    I would.
    I'd consider cutting Study to make room for 4x B-thru too.

Street Wraith is a card I've played with a lot. It's real use is in-hand, for post-board situations, to see if they play a targeted hate-card like Surgical Extraction. I used to run SW in the main back when DRS was the expected 1st-turn play of every 2nd deck, but I dropped that card from the main (& side) once DRS got the boot.
    We have faster options for main, and better options for side.
    Stitcher's Supplier probably earns a spot more than SW these days. Not saying it deserves a spot tho.

Thread Information