Thread: Dino Storm

Dino Storm

I've been developing this deck lately and it seems to be working reasonably well in testing, at least enough that I took the time to make an account and share it with the forum for feedback. I'm sure other people have thought of it before but I didn't find much discussion when searching for it.

Currently my deck looks like this:

4 Taiga
    4 Wooded Foothills
    1 Forest
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Tinder Wall
    1 Akroma, Angel of Fury
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Rite of Flame
    2 Desperate Ritual
    4 Manamorphose
    1 Traverse the Ulvenwald
    4 Seething Song
    4 Carnage Tyrant
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Orcish Lumberjack
    3 Empty the Warrens

SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 3 Pyroblast
    SB: 1 Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Goblin War Strike
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 1 Cave-In

It's basically a belcher-esque shell that trades off the 'all-in' elements for fatties that are hard to interact with. When I say 'hard to interact with', I mean: can't counter, can't easily remove, and preferably has some sort of evasion so it isn't easily stalled out or chump blocked. The number of such fatties is surprisingly limited and relatively clunky (stuff like Thrun, the Last Troll or Akroma, Angel of Fury), but Ixalan has recently blessed the format with what I believe to be an underrated card: Carnage Tyrant. The idea struck me when Arianrhod was interviewed after beating Storm during Eternal Weekend and remarked how there is nothing that can currently deal with the giant Dino in the current (very fair) meta. (Yes, edict effects and sweepers exist - more on that in a moment) Since being six mana makes it relatively castable with acceleration, and storm-generated hordes of goblins have traditionally also been an acceleration-based strategy that's hard to interact with, and Green/Red are prime colors for fast acceleration, AND there's an existing shell using all that stuff that's been proven to be viable... for all these reasons I got motivated to take a stock Belcher deck, rework its manabase and change its threats, so at the end I present to you: Dino Storm.

From testing, the deck is consistently able to push 7-14 power on the board in the first two turns, all the while ignoring counters, spot removal and most permanents the meta currently throws at it. Combo decks have felt to be a bit of a coin toss though as you have to race them and the game is basically decided in advance by your opening hand. Nevertheless, the sideboard offers interesting options so that you can simply side out the threats that are not appropriate/too slow and replace them with faster or more controllish elements if need be. As for the inevitable 'why are you not just playing Storm/Reanimator/Show and Tell/Belcher' objection to the deck, I'd say first that this is obviously a good question to which there may very well be no answer (in other words, the deck is probably just bad and you can safely ignore the thread), but if one were to put more faith in this brew, you could argue that it is:
    -Less vulnerable to post-board hate than Storm or Reanimator
    -More resilient and less all-in than Belcher
    -Harder to interact with and more threat-dense than Show and Tell. I don't know the exact numbers, but SnT decks currently run something like 8-10 threats (depending on whether it's a omnitell/pure sneak and show/hybrid build etc. correct me on that) and 8 enablers. Dino Storm runs at 11+ threats (at the very least 4 Dinos + 3 Empty the Warrens + 4 Burning Wish) and there is no need for an enabler, or more accurately the remainder of the deck is an enabler. Sure the payoff isn't as comparable as the flying demon/tentacle monster/ant swarm can be, but the need for enablers is much less strict - eventually you will just hardcast your fatty, whereas Sneak and Show isn't doing anything as long as it hasn't resolved one of its mainsake cards. I'm more detailed on this objection because I think it is the most valid - there is a very real chance that hardcasting dinos is just a worse SnT strategy, but it can't hurt to try brewing.

Some explanations about the card choices:

11 Land - I found that I want to draw one or two over the course of a game, rarely more. Since basically half the deck is focused on making mana any land beyond the third would feel awfully redundant. Taigas and fetches that get taigas are pretty explanatory here, but I added a single Forest so I can get a reliable green source that doesn't get wastelanded during opp's T2, plus it's fodder for Orcish Lumberjack. Green mana is sometimes hard to come by when most of the acceleration comes in red. In any case the manabase is far from optimized but I haven't reached the point where I need to tweak land counts and fetch names.

4 Carnage Tyrant - Pretty explanatory, if the card weren't printed I wouldn't have made this thread. As was said earlier, there is very little that can currently deal with the giant dino - basically Council's Judgement, sweepers and edict effects. It ignores most taxing effects (Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Thorn of Amethyst, Trinisphere). Stonewalling it isn't an option, either - it laughably tramples over True-Name Nemesis, Tarmogoyf, Batterskull, Mirran Crusader (with or without mom), Gurmag Angler, most Eldrazi up to Endbringer... I could go on. Amusingly it even trades with Griselbrand (!!!). Baleful Strix can be an issue, but even then they still have to take six. There is a sort of infantile, almost regressive Timmy-like pleasure in slamming the big lizard in the face of all the hyper-efficient blue meta: I want to play my upgraded Craw Wurm - you can't say 'no', can't say 'but', can't say 'if'. It's gonna resolve, it's gonna stick, and boy it's gonna swing.

1 Akroma, Angel of Fury - Basically Carnage Tyrant #5. I wanted something that ignores permission and most removal and she seemed like a good idea, until I encountered my first Karakas in testing... I first started with 4, then gradually trimmed her to 1 and am considering cutting her completely. 8 mana is a lot, even with a morph ability, and the additional vulnerability to Karakas doesn't help. Being able to blank Delver and Flickerwisps is nice though.

3 Empty the Warrens and 4 Burning Wish - The usual business spells when you run a deck with a lot of acceleration. Being able to go wide as well as big is an important draw to the deck: too often would my opponent encounter a goblin hordes G1, side in Ethersworn Canonists/Flusterstorms, then stare at a huge reptile G2... the other way around is even more hilarious: you power out your uncounterable dinosaur, your opponent goes like 'wtf' and can't do anything G1, they side out counters for edict effects and the like, and G2 you just storm them out. Depending on the matchup I would sometimes side out/side in an entire half of the threat base between games - the psychological element is real. It's akin to the dilemma when you resolve Show and Tell and your opp has to decide between slamming Ashen Rider or Trinisphere... it's not a great place to be.

4 Seething Song, 4 Lotus Petal, 4 Rite of Flame, 4 Elvish Spirit Guide, 4 Simian Spirit Guide, 2 Desperate Ritual- Standard acceleration package. Guides are great for Daze blowouts. Petals provide an important source of color fix for Dinos or when you have to go for the Tendrils kill. I cut on the number of Desperates because they are the weaker acceleration spell and I need the slots.

4 Gitaxian Probe, 4 Manamorphose - Probe is obviously very good at cycling through your deck, adding storm, seeing if the coast is clear for a Burning Wish, etc. I keep 4 copies of Manamorphose because the manafix is often needed: green sources are essential for the dinos, and sometimes you need black for Tendrils.

4 Orcish Lumberjack, 4 Tinder Wall - The fastest manadorks in the format. Orcish Lumberjack is essential for powering out good and resilient T2s. A savvy opponent will try to counter the acceleration spell chain when they see they can't counter the haymaker, but very rarely will they counter the Orc - and when it's on the board you hardly need a spell chain to power out the six mana monster. Also, orc + tapping the forest that's sacrificed means 4 mana at the very least, so Empty is basically guaranteed and any additional acceleration is just gravy for more storm count. Tinder Wall is another very fast dork that can generate mana right away. It's also a very decent blocker if you find yourself having to race. Note that mana dorks also protect you from edict effects. When it doesn't come down along with a bunch of Goblins, the dino is often found with its orcish buddy ready to sacrifice itself to these nasty Lilianas.

1 Traverse the Ulvenwald - A flex slot I'm testing, as with Akroma I started out with 4 and found myself cutting down to 1. It sometimes acts as a forest finder in times of emergency but most of the time it's basically a Green Sun's Zenith that doesn't use up all your mana, so if your opponent counters that you can still use the mana for something else. Delirium is reasonably easy to achieve between all the lands you sacrifice, instant/sorceries in the acceleration package, petals and tinder walls. The problem is I have often found myself in situations where I exposed myself too much in trying to achieve Delirium, e.g. I generate way more mana than I need with Seething Song and Tinder Wall and that goes to waste if the Traverse gets countered. For these reasons I kept trimming it but I still keep a copy around to maximize threat density.

Now the sideboard is much wilder, I don't know exactly what I'm doing and I'm sure there's room for a lot of flexibility.
    Empty the Warrens - Classical wish target
    Past in Flames - Another wish target inspired from the monored storm builds, but I haven't found a usecase for it yet in testing.
    Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast - I often found I had extra red mana from all the acceleration and being able to fight to resolve a wish is nice. It's also good versus Show and Tell. Generally speaking you can't go wrong when a card reads 'R: Counterspell/Vindicate' against a large swath of the format.
    Shattering Spree - Chalice, Ethersworn and Trinisphere aren't as annoying as they can be to Storm decks but sometime you just need to get them off the board. Could be replaced by By Force, I don't know.
    Tendrils of Agony - I know this is clunky when you only have 4 Manamorphose and 4 Lotus Petal to cast it but there are a number of permanents against which the deck simply can't win without this card: Glacial Chasm, Moat, Blazing Archon, Elesh Norn, etc. Sometimes they stabilize and the board gets stalled and you only need to deliver the final life loss. Sometimes you know they are going to kill you next turn if you don't kill them on your turn. The Tendrils kill provides an out for too many situations at too small a cost (one slot) not to be included.
    Grapeshot - Untested for now, I guess it provides an alternative for Tendrils when you can't make black mana. Remember you often eating up large chunks of your opponent's life total in the very first turns so the needed storm count isn't as high as it appears.
    Surgical Extraction - A very versatile card against many decks, can't really go wrong with this.
    Goblin War Strike - When you've made an early horde and need to deliver the last strike before they kill you, or when you've made a huge horde and can just one-shot them. More testing needed.
    Reforge the Soul - Seeing how the deck has next to no CA but provides many ways to make mana I thought about testing this card. Obviously it's not as good against Force of Will decks but the whole point of this deck is that your threats ignore permission. More testing needed.
    Cave-In - Mostly a concession to elves and other matchups with lots of annoying weenies. Also relevant against Elemental or Monk armies that can eventually pile up to multiple-block your dinos.

Cards I've thought about:

Thrun, the Last Troll - Although solid at first glance, it got outclassed by a lot of creatures recently. Gurmag, Batterskull, Reality Smasher, Endbringer, True Name, Crusader... it also gets chump blocked to oblivion by Mom-backed blockers, Wirewood trickery or Elemental tokens.
    Altered Ego - Being able to copy your dinos seems nice although it sounds win-more to me. Being able to copy your opp's fatties on the other hand sounds hilarious enough that I'll probably get around to testing this card. I'm not a fond of the blue splash though, makes the manabase even shakier.
    Hunting Pack - Last I heard 4/4 are stronger than 1/1s. However there's probably a reason this card currently doesn't see play in any storm shell. Maybe it fits well this shell, only testing can tell.
    Street Wraith - I first tried these for more deck thinning and delirium enabling, but I mostly just cut them for 'real' cards. The life loss isn't trivial with probes and mulligan decisions are already hard enough in a deck with no selection.
    Lion's Eye Diamond - Awkward with a Dino or Empty in hand. Awkward when you Wish, crack LED in response, only to see it get countered. So much for a deck that tries to ignore permission.
    Faithless Looting - Card disadvantage, not great against opposing deathrites, makes the deck slower... maybe in a graveyard-centric shell? I don't know.
    Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Although it does get countered I have often found in my days of playing Dragon Stompy and Monored Sneak Attack that many decks have no way to handle a resolved Chandra t1 or even t2. She also fits nicely with the gameplan, providing acceleration, control (gotta kill those pesky lilianas and strixes), CA and a wincon in one card. She probably deserves some testing in the sideboard. If testing finds that there are too few threats and too much mana in the deck I'll try a copy maindeck.
    Volcanic Fallout - There aren't so many blue decks that go wide that this should replace Cave-In, but in some metas it can be relevant.

I can't post matchups yet because the deck is still very much in construction and I didn't test enough yet to get a firm grasp of the matchups, but I will try to detail them more as the experiment progresses and the deck shows promises (or not).

Any feedback is appreciated. You are encouraged to test the deck, it's very fun to play and provides many angles of attack so you never tire of playing the same strategy over and over again. The sideboard tactics can be entertaining as well if that's your sort of thing. In any case, thank you for taking the time to read all this if you've made it this far.

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Re: Dino Storm

What are the advantages of going all in for a Carnage Tyrant when, I can, go all in with a Belcher and win the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by Redkid43 View Post
    What are the advantages of going all in for a Carnage Tyrant when, I can, go all in with a Belcher and win the game?

Have you tried Beast Within as an answer to annoying permanents? What about Epicenter against some of the durdly-er decks in the format? If you need help against D&T you can run Kozilek's Return as a sweeper too.

Cheaper (6 vs 7 for Belcher & activate), resilient to Pithing Needle effects, wincons are immune to most countermagic, some hatebear effects aren't as disruptive( Thorn,Canonist etc.) due to Orcish Lumberjack being awesome. Also you can play a Dinosaur deck in Legacy so there is that too.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

As someone who has played Orcish Lumberjack before, I salute you for exploring it. The downside to Carnage Tyrant is that it dies to Diabolic Edict, which is at an all-time high, by my estimation. Edict conveniently handles Marit Lage, Gurmag Angler, Reality Smasher, True-Name Nemesis, and Mirran Crusader, and I expect it out of pretty much every deck that plays Deathrite Shaman (which is a lot of decks). I think this deck would greatly benefit from Cabal Therapy in the main and as a Burning Wish target. I don't know if that would be enough, but it would help.

Why not Otepec Huntmaster?

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    As someone who has played Orcish Lumberjack before, I salute you for exploring it. The downside to Carnage Tyrant is that it dies to Diabolic Edict, which is at an all-time high, by my estimation. Edict conveniently handles Marit Lage, Gurmag Angler, Reality Smasher, True-Name Nemesis, and Mirran Crusader, and I expect it out of pretty much every deck that plays Deathrite Shaman (which is a lot of decks). I think this deck would greatly benefit from Cabal Therapy in the main and as a Burning Wish target. I don't know if that would be enough, but it would help.
    Tyrant does, but from the sounds of it you will likely have a Wall or Lumberjack or similar in play AS WELL.
    The Doomsday Codex

We're catching bullets in our teeth,
    Its hard to do but they're so sweet.
    And if they take a couple out,
    We try to work things out.....

Meow.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Could also play a Dryad Arbor to fight edict effects out of the board
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Aren't you worried that with cards like Lumberjack you're turning on otherwise dead removal for a creature that needs to untap?

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Quote Originally Posted by eureka View Post
    Good point, but Belcher also plays Empty and can go all in with it and still win.

Carnage Tyrant is not a combo creature. What your getting for going all in is so minimal compared to all of the other decks than can churn out a creature on turn 1-2. You go off for a Tyrant, and they do it much faster and much more efficantly for a Griselbrand, Emrakul, Sire of Insanity, etc.

The arguements against Belcher that it’s 1 more mana to play and activate or that it’s weak to Needle are somewhat mitigated by the other cards in the deck. Needle doesn’t stop Empty nor does their Wish board.

Not to mention edict effects are played a lot more now.

If you want to power out Tyrant early or even more dinosaurs, Nic Fit is slowly adapting dinosaurs as a creature base which I think is rad.

Again, Tyrant is not a combo creature. It’s s midrange threat that, when powered out and backed by disruption is really cool.
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Why not the legendary dino that gets more dinos.

Sure carnage tyrant , griseldaddy.

BUT legend dino + 2 or 3 tyrants = >>>>>>>>>>griseldaddy

also gain life and inferno titan dinos

edit- living wish+led+more traverse?

the thought of putting traverse on the stack and cracking led for the delerium really gets my blood going.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I saw the thread title and my imagination went straight to: Dragonstorm was errata-ed to include dinosaurs!!!

I really like the all-in plan, and playing dinosaurs in legacy = winning.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I think this concept has the problem that the payoff just isn't strong or reliable enough to be competitive. There's resistance to some removal and to counters, but discard spells like Thoughtseize and Cabal Therapy can still easily blow you out. You also lose against decks that cheat fat like Griselbrand into play and the fast decks in the format will have no trouble racing you.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Have you tried Beast Within as an answer to annoying permanents? What about Epicenter against some of the durdly-er decks in the format? If you need help against D&T you can run Kozilek's Return as a sweeper too.
    Beast Within is interesting, but costing three mana is a huge deal when you are often stuck on two lands and have to use acceleration to make more mana. I also don't like giving the opp a 3/3 they can use to multi-block a dino. Maybe I'll resort to it if the Tendrils kills is really that hard to achieve. Epicenter is hilarious but probably too slow and too specific. Kozilek's Return is nice but unfortunately it is not a sorcery and can't be Wished at will, plus it's also three mana. In any case I haven't had much trouble with D&T, you either go fast with goblins or trample over their weenies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax- View Post
    Why not Otepec Huntmaster?
    Well being two mana means you can't power him out T1 without acceleration, and if you use up your accel to play him that sort of defeats the point of running him in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Could also play a Dryad Arbor to fight edict effects out of the board
    Yes I was thinking about it. Probably as 12th land that can be fetched in response to an edict effect. Being a forest for lumberjack is a nice touch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Aren't you worried that with cards like Lumberjack you're turning on otherwise dead removal for a creature that needs to untap?
    In my (very recent) experience opps simply don't point their removal at the orc. I'm also happy if they decide to keep in removal G2 and G3 only for this guy, since it means less answers for everything else the deck is doing. 'Needing to untap' is also not that steep a requirement for a creature that comes down T1.

Good point, but Belcher also plays Empty and can go all in with it and still win.

The arguements against Belcher that it’s 1 more mana to play and activate or that it’s weak to Needle are somewhat mitigated by the other cards in the deck. Needle doesn’t stop Empty nor does their Wish board.
    But the deck also plays Empty and a Wishboard...

Carnage Tyrant is not a combo creature. What your getting for going all in is so minimal compared to all of the other decks than can churn out a creature on turn 1-2. You go off for a Tyrant, and they do it much faster and much more efficantly for a Griselbrand, Emrakul, Sire of Insanity, etc.

Not to mention edict effects are played a lot more now.

If you want to power out Tyrant early or even more dinosaurs, Nic Fit is slowly adapting dinosaurs as a creature base which I think is rad.

Again, Tyrant is not a combo creature. It’s s midrange threat that, when powered out and backed by disruption is really cool.
    Well I don't really know about all that, in practice when I get the Dino out it basically almost always means game over against fair decks. It doesn't really matter much how you're winning and how many swings you need when your opponent can't deal with the threat. Griselbrand is just overkill, Reanimator was a thing before it got printed. People would run stuff like Inkwell Leviathan (and some reanimator lists still run a singleton in their 75, presumably to deal with blue decks that use Karakas or something), and many reanimator lists also run Grave Titan as a hardcastable fattie, so it's not like there isn't a precedent for slamming hard to interact fatties or mid sized dudes. Being able to ignore hate is a big deal in my opinion. Of course, the only way to know beyond theorycrafting whether the loss in payoff from the Grisel->Tyrant downgrade is overcompensated by the gain in resilience against dedicated sideboard strategies is to quantify both, and the only way to do that is to test.

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Why not the legendary dino that gets more dinos.

Sure carnage tyrant , griseldaddy.

BUT legend dino + 2 or 3 tyrants = >>>>>>>>>>griseldaddy

also gain life and inferno titan dinos

edit- living wish+led+more traverse?

the thought of putting traverse on the stack and cracking led for the delerium really gets my blood going.
    Sadly Carnage Tyrant is the only uncounterable dino, so the others can't be considered. There is maybe something to do with a Dino deck though. Commune with Dinosaurs is a decent cantrip, Carnage Tyrant and Regisaur Alpha are decent midrange threats, maybe they can fit a shell with Blood Moon and 8 guides for acceleration. This isn't the thread for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I think this concept has the problem that the payoff just isn't strong or reliable enough to be competitive. There's resistance to some removal and to counters, but discard spells like Thoughtseize and Cabal Therapy can still easily blow you out. You also lose against decks that cheat fat like Griselbrand into play and the fast decks in the format will have no trouble racing you.
    Again, the payoff has proven to be good enough in practice, at least against fair decks. Other fast combos are just as vulnerable to discard as we are. The matchups against combos do feel coinflippy. (Not bad per se, though. Increased variance isn't a bad thing if the expected win percentage remains the same) This is where sideboards offer a lot of possibilities, as you can reorient your sideboard to be less Dino-based and more Storm-based, especially if you have access to the Tendrils kill. There is also dedicated hate etc. The current one I posted is very loose obviously.

Floating commune with dinosaurs and cracking led really gets my blood flowing too!

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Doishy View Post
    Tyrant does, but from the sounds of it you will likely have a Wall or Lumberjack or similar in play AS WELL.
    Except that the decks that are going to Edict you play plenty of spot-removal spells. Carnage Tyrant hits hard and isn't widely expected, but your opponent has time to dig to an answer. It's basically a slower Marit Lage that can't be rebought. Eliminating a Lumberjack or a Tinder Wall is an easy first step for the opponent in getting an Edict to connect. If you spend three or four cards ramping into a dinosaur and it dies, you likely won't have the tools to rebuild. That's a fair criticism. This deck is emulating Belcher with its full eight Spirit Guides, so it's greatly favoring speed. Dino Storm is a cool idea, but I don't feel it's well-positioned right now. I think I gave a good suggestion for how to improve its chances, but I'm interested in hearing about its tournament performance if/when it makes it that far.

Thread Information