Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st Place StarCityGames Open: Los Angeles

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Re: 1st Place StarCityGames Open: Los Angeles

I see. So you'll have to remove your opponent's graveyard (i.e. Crypt) once Emrakul/Progenitus are milled there to avoid the re-shuffle/loop?
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

Mar 2010
    East L.A.

Quote Originally Posted by kicks_422 View Post
    I see. So you'll have to remove your opponent's graveyard (i.e. Crypt) once Emrakul/Progenitus are milled there to avoid the re-shuffle/loop?
    That is true if it is Emrakul or Blightsteel or Serra Avatar like my finals opponent had.

But Progenitus is unique in that it's a replacement effect, so it never touches the graveyard, thus two of them will cause the game to go in an infinite loop.

My R4 opponent's turns consisted of volcanics, brainstorms, ponders, and stompy lands, but I already knew sneak attack and show and tell. It is very crucial to guess your opponents deck early on if you don't know, as I brainstormed and shuffled away my combo pieces and dropped as many welders and painters to beatdown while keeping as many FoWs and blast effects in my grip. SB you side out all your grindstone pieces and bring in all blast effects to stop Show and Tells and pithing needles to stop Sneak Attacks.

@ Menace13 Nice! Now give me 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by PanderAlexander View Post
    My R4 opponent's turns consisted of volcanics, brainstorms, ponders, and stompy lands, so I guessed sneak attack and show and tell. It is very crucial to guess your opponents deck early on, as I had a 4th turn combo with FoW backup but when I found out what he was I brainstormed and shuffled away my combo pieces and dropped as many welders and painters to beatdown while keeping as many FoWs and blast effects in my grip. SB you side out all your grindstone pieces and bring in all blast effects to stop Show and Tells and pithing needles to stop Sneak Attacks.
    Guessed? Weren't you playing Koga?

Mar 2010
    East L.A.

Fixed!

That is true if it is Emrakul or Blightsteel or Serra Avatar like my finals opponent had.s.
    It's not - Progenitus = Blightsteel = Darksteel

Eldrazi = Gaia's Blessing

Serra Avatar is something in between

Mar 2010
    East L.A.

Some of the tamer pics from the Adultcon event right next door to the SCG event, nothing worse than some of the avatars on here so don't worry:

Last edited by PanderAlexander; 03-30-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Jun 2010
    Lucca, Italy

hi,I have a question :)

you win the first game of R1 and R4 with damage of welder and painter????

Mar 2010
    East L.A.

Quote Originally Posted by festeringGAB View Post
    hi,I have a question :)

you win the first game of R1 and R4 with damage of welder and painter????
    I honestly tried and can't remember a thing about the 1st game, I remember I had to take a piss from the two redbulls I downed before it started. I think my opponent messed up first game, 2nd game was beatdown. Once it ended I ran to the restroom forgetting the result slip and my deck.

R4 is a guy I helped build and teach to play his deck, unfortunately for him. The life total pad shows his life going from 19, 17, 16, 15, 14, 12, 10, all the way to 0 for G1, can't find the 2nd as I think he scooped after seeing mulls.

Quote Originally Posted by lorddotm View Post
    I have never seen you with a fauxhawk in my life... Maybe I just don't pay attention enough?

Also, Tony has no issue growing a beard. Neither did Mr. Miagee. :P
    Here's a pic taken by SCG two months ago in San Jose, the lighting and angle is bad so it looks spikey instead:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...972917&theater
    I don't look like a bum like I did in L.A.

Tony I'm pretty sure is Filipino and not Asian.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Haha I'm pretty sure south east asians are considered Asians too, albeit a bit darker. I'm Chinese-Malaysian but when I was in Aussie I was just "the Asian guy". Lol

Btw the pics are awesome. I'm guessing combo players can actually masturbate to something in real life rather than just under the desk while building storm.

Mar 2010
    East L.A.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Haha I'm pretty sure south east asians are considered Asians too, albeit a bit darker. I'm Chinese-Malaysian but when I was in Aussie I was just "the Asian guy". Lol
    I use to consider all Filipinos as Asian too until my manager (who's Filipino) argued they're Pacific Islanders and I stuck with that. You're right though, they're Asian.

Btw the pics are awesome. I'm guessing combo players can actually masturbate to something in real life rather than just under the desk while building storm
    I think they prefer the storm count.

I was the R3 opp, but wasn't playing thresh. I was playing a U/R control deck with 4x trinket mage and only one trop for sideboard firespout and a third color for ee. Anyway, this is (to my poor memory) the way that the games went.

Game 1: I know from being a local (and being a judge that deck checked him a couple of weeks before) that he's probably on Painter, so I keep a hand with bolt, t-mage, brainstorm, ee and land. This game comes down to me fetching up a maindeck pithing needle and naming grindstone while he tries to land a painter and REB it to go off. I just bolt all of his painters and swing in with a couple of mages and a clique.

Game 2: We both have decent openings, I blow away a welder and a painter, but he eventually just amasses the combo with three counters in hand due to my lack of pressure.

Game 3: This one's the doozy. It really back and forth with three needles getting played and at least two ee's. He gets really close to the combo, but misplays slightly when he activates a welder with a bolt on stack targeting his painter (whereas he could have waited until after the servent died and just got it back) and I just untap and find EE with an active Jace. Meanwhile we both do pretty much nothing for a while, I make my hand sweet while he tops to try and make an emrakul or go for plan A again. He eventually finds a needle for my jace and i draw his last counter out with one of my own, and proceed to play EE for one blowing away a welder, grindstone, needle, and forcing him to flip his top, which I then fateseal away and proceed to grind him out with small blue men.

Gratz on the finish, though. Great playing on the day. Too bad I went on to play against Sullivan with burn and whoever that guy that top 8ed with dredge was :\

Jun 2010
    Encino, Ca

I will confirm that Alex is usually clean shaven with a fauxhawk, as we tend to play at every single tournament. And he is not the only one who somehow failed to shave and was looking rough... aside from the drinking binge I hadnt shaved in four or five days either. Maybe this is the key to victory, like in hockey playoffs.

hey man, grats on taking it down with painter.

Wish i'd known you played that deck beforehand so I could pick your brain on it some. I guess that's what I get for not playing at KW and not studying legacy enough. you should have told me you were playing the same deck when i asked though. not cool for you to see me playing it, and not offer some help.

i boarded into the emrakul plan pretty aggressively in game 2s. it helped me take down burn, poison stompy, Aggro-Loam. It ended up paying off in all of those situations, and killing me against fish (same guy you played in top8 blew me out with sower of temptation- this is where knowing more about legacy pays off) and being an awkward choice against ANT (but I still threw him on tilt with it).

how long have you been playing with the 1 misdirection? i love the trinket mages cause they always find something relevant and shuffle.

Jun 2010
    Encino, Ca

Alex was actually playing two misdirections not too long ago, skipping the trinket mages entirely. I personally favor the mages, but the one and one split seems reasonable too, especially since I heard someone talking about him being effective with it.

Some of the tamer pics from the Adultcon event right next door to the SCG event, nothing worse than some of the avatars on here so don't worry:

Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Quote Originally Posted by everythingitouchdies View Post
    Alex was actually playing two misdirections not too long ago, skipping the trinket mages entirely. I personally favor the mages, but the one and one split seems reasonable too, especially since I heard someone talking about him being effective with it.
    yeah, it almost feels like psuedo FoW 5 and 6. i agree with you on favoring the trinket mages. those guys too a lot of work, and being tops 5 and 6 has helped get me there in testing when I'm holding neither of the key pieces.

Apr 2010
    Los Angeles, CA

Quote Originally Posted by amppyou View Post
    hey man, grats on taking it down with painter.

Wish i'd known you played that deck beforehand so I could pick your brain on it some. I guess that's what I get for not playing at KW and not studying legacy enough. you should have told me you were playing the same deck when i asked though. not cool for you to see me playing it, and not offer some help.

i boarded into the emrakul plan pretty aggressively in game 2s. it helped me take down burn, poison stompy, Aggro-Loam. It ended up paying off in all of those situations, and killing me against fish (same guy you played in top8 blew me out with sower of temptation- this is where knowing more about legacy pays off) and being an awkward choice against ANT (but I still threw him on tilt with it).

how long have you been playing with the 1 misdirection? i love the trinket mages cause they always find something relevant and shuffle.
    ya man, alex been playing that deck for months but he been changing versions of it im pretty sure he took it to the past few knightwars.

Jun 2010
    Encino, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Team America View Post
    ya man, alex been playing that deck for months but he been changing versions of it im pretty sure he took it to the past few knightwars.
    When he beat me in top 8 of the last Knightware thing he had double misdirection.

Human Hunter
    Sep 2006
    California

I played against your round 6 opponent on my round 1. I beat him 2-0. I'm not 100% sure that we're talking about the same guy, but it sounds like it. He did mention that it wasn't his deck, he played Merfolk, he did riffle shuffle, he riffle shuffled my cards (I hate him for that since I run duals and other expensive cards), and he was very non-friendly. He also called a judge on me because he pile shuffled my cards and wanted me deckchecked. My mainboard is 61 cards, and he wanted to verify that. I think he was upset that he lost to a rogue deck.
    You know that nightmare where your running but you just can't get away...

Mar 2010
    East L.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Team-Hero View Post
    I played against your round 6 opponent on my round 1. I beat him 2-0. I'm not 100% sure that we're talking about the same guy, but it sounds like it. He did mention that it wasn't his deck, he played Merfolk, he did riffle shuffle, he riffle shuffled my cards (I hate him for that since I run duals and other expensive cards), and he was very non-friendly. He also called a judge on me because he pile shuffled my cards and wanted me deckchecked. My mainboard is 61 cards, and he wanted to verify that. I think he was upset that he lost to a rogue deck.
    That was probably the same guy because after the round, one of the spectators told me he tried the judge trick on another opponent trying to deckcheck him, which must've been you. I saw the DCI ratings is in so I'll update my original post with first names. Don't take it personal though, like I told him that I didn't, I know he's just playing to his outs since it was a very competitive enviroment. The only thing I thought he was an ass for was riffle shuffling my deck after I had made a remark about it already. I'm pretty sure it's a way to try and get to his opponents head but it didn't bother me for a second because I was too focused on winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingitouchdies
    We dont let drug laden fiends and swine come marching in and take our shit. We send them home with the memory of the monsters and vigilantes that curb stomped their dreams and threatened to animate their dead grandmother for a black and a colorless. No fucking around in LA.

Thread Information