Page 295 of 313 FirstFirst ... 195245285291292293294295296297298299305 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,900 of 6252

Thread: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Re: [DTB] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDelver View Post
    Going to play Storm again in tomorrows FNM, looking for advice on the SB for a pretty fair meta (lots of DnT, Delver variants, some Czech and in between a bit elves and reanimator)

I do have a maindeck without Empty but 2 PiF, as well as Dark Petition as singleton. Rest is standard. Is this mainboard good here? Or would you go for the Empty main?

Concerning the SB, this is what I would like to run:

2 Decay
    2 Ground Seal
    2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Dread of Night
    1 Xantid Swarm
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Hurkyls Recall
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Fatal Push

Would you run a second copy of Tendrils in the SB for Czech and Delver? What about the other cards? Anything odd here?

Thanks in advance!
    If there's no Chalice decks in your meta, I don't see the need for Decay, Grudge, Echoing, and Hurkyl's. What matchups did you have in mind when you included these cards? I think there are better options than these vs the decks you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_D View Post
    If there's no Chalice decks in your meta, I don't see the need for Decay, Grudge, Echoing, and Hurkyl's. What matchups did you have in mind when you included these cards? I think there are better options than these vs the decks you listed.
    There is indeed not much, occasionly there is one Eldrazi deck present, and there is always a guy playing dragon stompy in my shop, not sure if thats needed then. There are some land decks also, but this matchup is pretty much a bye so dunno.

Concerning decay, I kinda want it as catchall, to kill Leovold and random problematic stuff I guess. Maybe Grudge is worth cutting all in all? What would you play instead?

Mar 2017
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by boneclub24 View Post
    Do you actually side Whisper in or is it strictly a Wish target? Also why not Painful Truths for the extra card, since, I assume it's for the grindy matchups?
    Night's Whisper usually comes in against control and heavy discard decks, I have never had the joy of wishing for it though. :)

I have also not tried out Painful Truths, but I have a feeling the extra mana and life loss is more relevant than one might think. Ad Nauseum does come to mind. But I don't know, I might try it out.

Going to play Storm again in tomorrows FNM, looking for advice on the SB for a pretty fair meta (lots of DnT, Delver variants, some Czech and in between a bit elves and reanimator)

I do have a maindeck without Empty but 2 PiF, as well as Dark Petition as singleton. Rest is standard. Is this mainboard good here? Or would you go for the Empty main?

2 Decay
    2 Ground Seal
    2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Dread of Night
    1 Xantid Swarm
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Hurkyls Recall
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Fatal Push

Would you run a second copy of Tendrils in the SB for Czech and Delver? What about the other cards? Anything odd here?

Thanks in advance!
    I think your maindeck will be pretty solid, but I do believe your sideboard is too focused on answering permanent-based hate. I think you will find that in some matchups (like DnT) you have way too many cards to bring in, to the point where you will just dilute the deck if you do.

Personally I would still add two Tormod's Crypt, even with the low amount of combo decks. Besides that, perhaps something else to battle opposing counterspells, like Defense Grid, could be helpful. If you face a lot of Grixis variants, perhaps another discard spell could also be of use to push through their hand. A fourth cabal therapy goes well with your Empty the Warrens which you will also want in these matchups.

Abrupt Decay seems okay and they are great for the reasons you mentioned, but I think you can cut down on at least one bounce spells. I don't think you will have need of the Ancient Grudge either.

Another thing to consider is that if everything you will face is fair, you can play a variant with Chrome Moxes to just be faster than their answers.

These are the changes I would make:
    -1 Hurkyl's Recall
    -1 Ancient Grudge
    -1 Fatal Push
    +2 Tormod's Crypt
    +1 Cabal Therapy
    Last edited by beardstorm; 11-09-2017 at 03:45 PM.

There is indeed not much, occasionly there is one Eldrazi deck present, and there is always a guy playing dragon stompy in my shop, not sure if thats needed then. There are some land decks also, but this matchup is pretty much a bye so dunno.

Concerning decay, I kinda want it as catchall, to kill Leovold and random problematic stuff I guess. Maybe Grudge is worth cutting all in all? What would you play instead?
    I could see cutting the Push and the Grudge for another Tendrils and another Flusterstorm or a Surgical. If you're looking for a card that answers both Leovold and DnT, Rending Volley is good, but would require additional reconfiguration.

Oct 2013
    Russia, Moscow

2 Decay
    2 Ground Seal
    2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Dread of Night
    1 Xantid Swarm
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Hurkyls Recall
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Fatal Push

Thanks in advance!
    if you have a lot of Czech, Delvers and D&T whay not put ETW into main? I prefer to play 2 Fluster and you may add some Fatal Push for delver MU.

Hm ok thx for your feedback guys.

Maybe I'll try this version then:

2 Decay
    2 Dread of Night
    2 Ground Seal
    2 Chain of Vapor
    1 Surgical
    1 Empty
    1 Xantid
    1 Fluster
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Echoing
    1 Tendrils of Agony

With this tho, I have prob too many cards to bring in vs czech I guess. I would want 2 Decay, 2 Seal, 1 Fluster, 1 Cabal, Xantid, Tendrils and maybe Empty? Does still seem to much right?

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Hm ok thx for your feedback guys.

With this tho, I have prob too many cards to bring in vs czech I guess. I would want 2 Decay, 2 Seal, 1 Fluster, 1 Cabal, Xantid, Tendrils and maybe Empty? Does still seem to much right?
    Since 4Cs strength is in discard, I would not include XS, or bring in another CT, depending on what you already have. Tbh, 1 in the SB seems worse because CT is best g1. Some people like Flusterstorm against hymn but I'd commit to 2 copies if this is your plan. I always want to board too much but with your configuration, I'd just bring 2 GS, 2AD, and EtW.

Mar 2017
    Stockholm, Sweden

The Surgical Exctraction seems counter-intuitive since you will probably also want to bring in Ground Seal in the same mathups.

Quote Originally Posted by beardstorm View Post
    The Surgical Exctraction seems counter-intuitive since you will probably also want to bring in Ground Seal in the same mathups.
    I don't feel like Ground Seal would get you there vs. Reanimator decks anyway, so you can just bring in the Flusterstorm and Surgical and call it a day.

I just switched from TES to ANT. My meta is czech pile, grixis delver, grixis vial smasher, several burn, mud, snt, eldrazi, 1 ant and 1 guy who's between charbelcher, eldrazi and taxes and Spanish inquisition. I was curious if you guys have any sb tips or general sb guide advice. Thank you for your time!

Here's my list:
    // Legacy ANT

// 60 Maindeck
    // 8 Artifact
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

// 14 Instant
    1 Ad Nauseam
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Rain of Filth

// 15 Land
    1 Badlands
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Swamp
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island

// 23 Sorcery
    3 Cabal Therapy
    1 Dark Petition
    3 Duress
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Infernal Tutor
    1 Past in Flames
    4 Ponder
    2 Preordain
    1 Tendrils of Agony

// 15 Sideboard
    2 Dread of Night
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Hurkyl's Recall
    2 Fatal Push
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Perilous Voyage
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Night's Whisper
    1 By Force

I went 3-1 tonight, am pretty happy with the result.

I think 2 PiF are really great, I decided to try it out today and I think I will keep it like that. Played against Lands round 1 (easy win) and then dragon stompy (lost due to insane chalices/Trinisphere openers) then won against DnT and then won against Infect. Wanted to try Defense Grid but could not get my hands on black bordered ones so I ran Hurkyls instead this time, which I was happy about for the dragon stompy matchup, although it didn't do much.

Mar 2017
    Stockholm, Sweden

Yup. Sometimes no matter how much preparations you make it just does not matter, but great job anyway! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_D View Post
    I don't feel like Ground Seal would get you there vs. Reanimator decks anyway, so you can just bring in the Flusterstorm and Surgical and call it a day.
    It is unlikely to ever matter, that is true. For the off chance of it happening though I would go with Tormod's Crypt instead. It has direct upside, like being better against Exhume (which Ground Seal and sometimes Surgical is not).

Hi guys,

i recently picked up Legacy again after years of focusing on other formats and i quite enjoy ANT.

This is my most recent list:

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eyes Diamond
    1 Rain of Filth
    4 Duress
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Past in Flames
    1 Dark Petition
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB
    2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Fatal Push
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Xantid Swarm
    2 Ground Seal
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Night's Whispers
    1 Empty the Warrens

I went 4-4 at Cardmarket Series Barcelona and would like to improve my record at Cardmarket Series Frankfurt in January.
    Guess i will play many mtgo leagues until then.

I'm struggling right now to post positive winrates vs grixis delver, 4c control and uw miracles. All of which are decks i expect to face in huge numbers there.

Here are my plans and strategies for those matchups:

Grixis Delver:
    otp:
    + 2 Ground Seal, + 1 EtW; - 1 LED, - 1 Petal, - 1 Cabal Ritual
    otd:
    + 2 Xantid Swarm, + 1 EtW; - 1 LED, - 1 Petal, - 1 Cabal Ritual

They are attacking on all angles but lockpieces. They do have a fast clock (Delver), attack the graveyard (DRS + Extraction postboard), rip off your hand (Cabal Therapy + Young Pyromancer), screw your Mana (Daze + Wasteland) and have Counterspells (Force of Will and Flusterstorm).
    That makes for a very potent mix of interaction you have to navigate through. Since ANT is well suited to race their clock, storm through their counterspells and is robust enough to not lose to Daze and Wasteland in most of the games the things i do care most about are gy hate and cabal therapy.
    I feel like spending 2 mana on Ground Seal is not a investment i can afford when on the draw but i could be wrong about that. I feel like a card to restock your hand after getting hit by Therapy would be welcome but spending 2 mana and 2 life seems like no viable option against delver of secrets. Since they are running few good checks to Hordes of Goblins i'm pretty positiv EtW is good postboard.

4c Control (aka Czeck Pile or Grixis Control):

+ 2 Ground Seal, + 1 EtW, + 2 Night's Whisper; - 1 LED, -1 Island, - 1 Petal, - 1 Cabal Ritual, - 1 Rain of Filth

Since most lists don't run Wasteland and games can take some turns bc they don't clock you i feel comfortable boarding out one Basic Land and adding Night's Whisper to restock against Hymn. Leovold + Flusterstorm can be a pain but i don't really feel like combating that with Removal makes any sense. I use to ignore Leovold, get my Carddraw and Cantrips down under him and hope for the best. When their gy hate is shut down by Ground Seal you have some time to set up and fight some business through their Countermagic and Discard. This is the Reason i cut so much fast mana and keep all of the Engine cards. Curious about other approaches in this matchup though since it looks quite easy on paper but i actually can't get ahead in my winrate.

UW Miracles:
    + 2 Abrupt Decay, + 2 Ground Seal, + 1 EtW; - 1 Island, - 2 LED, - 1 Petal, - 1 Cabal Ritual, - 1 Dark Petition

I really want those Xantid Swarms to be in there aswell but i can't find any further space and the other cards are probably better.
    My winrate in this matchup was truly horrendous before i realized that taking more drawsteps and dragging out the games favors probably the storm player.
    Giving a Deck full of Cantrips with access to Ethersworn Canonist and (sometimes) Counterbalance might look scarry but there is essentially no clock and fighting through a big hand of counterspells is no problem for this deck if you lineup your discard and business right or even natural tendril them after hey spent counterspells on uping the storm count and countering your excess rituals. I still lose a lot to Canonist and early Jaces since you need to sculpt a hand for a big turn in order to beat all that pesky permission.

Please critizes my Sideboardplans and share your own opinions and plans about those matchups with me since i really need to understand the most popular and interactive matchups in Legacy better until Frankfurt.

Regards,
    Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by Andifeated View Post
    Hi guys,

i recently picked up Legacy again after years of focusing on other formats and i quite enjoy ANT.

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eyes Diamond
    1 Rain of Filth
    4 Duress
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Past in Flames
    1 Dark Petition
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB
    2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Fatal Push
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Xantid Swarm
    2 Ground Seal
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Night's Whispers
    1 Empty the Warrens

I went 4-4 at Cardmarket Series Barcelona and would like to improve my record at Cardmarket Series Frankfurt in January.

I'm struggling right now to post positive winrates vs grixis delver, 4c control and uw miracles. All of which are decks i expect to face in huge numbers there.

Grixis Delver:
    otp:
    otd:

They are attacking on all angles but lockpieces. They do have a fast clock (Delver), attack the graveyard (DRS + Extraction postboard), rip off your hand (Cabal Therapy + Young Pyromancer), screw your Mana (Daze + Wasteland) and have Counterspells (Force of Will and Flusterstorm).
    That makes for a very potent mix of interaction you have to navigate through. Since ANT is well suited to race their clock, storm through their counterspells and is robust enough to not lose to Daze and Wasteland in most of the games the things i do care most about are gy hate and cabal therapy.
    I feel like spending 2 mana on Ground Seal is not a investment i can afford when on the draw but i could be wrong about that. I feel like a card to restock your hand after getting hit by Therapy would be welcome but spending 2 mana and 2 life seems like no viable option against delver of secrets. Since they are running few good checks to Hordes of Goblins i'm pretty positiv EtW is good postboard.

+ 2 Ground Seal, + 1 EtW, + 2 Night's Whisper; - 1 LED, -1 Island, - 1 Petal, - 1 Cabal Ritual, - 1 Rain of Filth

Since most lists don't run Wasteland and games can take some turns bc they don't clock you i feel comfortable boarding out one Basic Land and adding Night's Whisper to restock against Hymn. Leovold + Flusterstorm can be a pain but i don't really feel like combating that with Removal makes any sense. I use to ignore Leovold, get my Carddraw and Cantrips down under him and hope for the best. When their gy hate is shut down by Ground Seal you have some time to set up and fight some business through their Countermagic and Discard. This is the Reason i cut so much fast mana and keep all of the Engine cards. Curious about other approaches in this matchup though since it looks quite easy on paper but i actually can't get ahead in my winrate.

UW Miracles:
    + 2 Abrupt Decay, + 2 Ground Seal, + 1 EtW; - 1 Island, - 2 LED, - 1 Petal, - 1 Cabal Ritual, - 1 Dark Petition

I really want those Xantid Swarms to be in there aswell but i can't find any further space and the other cards are probably better.
    My winrate in this matchup was truly horrendous before i realized that taking more drawsteps and dragging out the games favors probably the storm player.
    Giving a Deck full of Cantrips with access to Ethersworn Canonist and (sometimes) Counterbalance might look scarry but there is essentially no clock and fighting through a big hand of counterspells is no problem for this deck if you lineup your discard and business right or even natural tendril them after hey spent counterspells on uping the storm count and countering your excess rituals. I still lose a lot to Canonist and early Jaces since you need to sculpt a hand for a big turn in order to beat all that pesky permission.

Please critizes my Sideboardplans and share your own opinions and plans about those matchups with me since i really need to understand the most popular and interactive matchups in Legacy better until Frankfurt.

Regards,
    Andreas
    I recently top8'ed a 40 man tournament with a similar plan to yours, i crafted the maindeck to have 1 dark petiton, 1 etw and 1 pif with 2 preordinas...
    What i suggest to you is to move maindeck the Etw because it make a huge difference in g1 when they are not prepared to race 14 goblins turn 2 (for example), i play the 3-3 split duress therapy and i have switched the 4th duress with the etw maindeck.
    In g2 even against cezch pile and new miracles i side out etw for the 4th duress, because every smart player would consider g2 empty plan, so i ended up storming them off with them having toxic deludge in hand. So they end up having dead cards and you can go off easly because they can't really afford to shuffle the sweeper away and then loose to a probe tuor and empty on g2...
    The only mu of the 3 you listed were i don't side out etw is grixis delver...

Regards
    Marco

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by kellysandall View Post
    I just switched from TES to ANT.
    Welcome, I am sure you can find some productive discussions in the previous pages of this thread. There is no best formula how to board with this deck but it is more important to understand
    the broad concepts of boarding but I am sure you already have some experience coming from TES.

Hi guys,

Grixis Delver:
    otp:
    otd:

Just some brief comments: Xantid is bad here, wouldn't cut LED, think about Push because it answers "a fast clock" and "attack the graveyard(DRS"

seems reasonable but Decay is very good because "ignore Leovold" doesn't work that great, wouldn't cut LED here as well

UW Miracles:

cut more Petals for example to make room for more valuable cards

WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

Went 5-0-2 today at a ~100 man event

2 PiF, 15 Lands, 6 discard, 1 DP, EtW main

SB:
    2 Decay
    1 Chain
    2 Hurkyls
    1 Grudge
    2 Massacre
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Karakas
    1 Swarm
    1 Ground Seal
    1 Fluster
    1 Nights Whisper
    1 Ad Nauseam

Matchups:
    UWR Landstill 2-0
    UWR Blade 2-1
    4c Loam 2-0
    Grixis Delver 2-0
    4c Loam 2-0
    Stax/MUD ID
    Moon Stompy ID

We split the top but I lost to Loam playing for some non-divisible prizes. Top-8 meta wasnt great with 2x MoonStompy, MUD, 2x ANT, Infect, Elves and Loam.
    37th GP Ams'11 | 80th GP Stras '13 | 5th BoM Paris '13 | 12th GP Lille '15

Have a general question for you guys. It revolves around how and when to exactly play Gitaxian Probe.

Do we generally play it as soon as possible? What if we are up against unknow? And what if we know we are up against discard and specific hate cards (Canonist, Chalice etc.)

I personally have made these rules for myself:

Against unknown, always cast it asap.
    Against decks where I don't except discard and Canonist/Chalice etc. (so only counters and surgical) I keep it until I want to combo off.
    Against decks where I expect discard and Canonist/Chalice etc. I cast it asap.

Do you think thats a correct way to approach this? Or are there more things to it?

Quote Originally Posted by JamieW89 View Post
    Went 5-0-2 today at a ~100 man event

2 PiF, 15 Lands, 6 discard, 1 DP, EtW main

SB:
    2 Decay
    1 Chain
    2 Hurkyls
    1 Grudge
    2 Massacre
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Karakas
    1 Swarm
    1 Ground Seal
    1 Fluster
    1 Nights Whisper
    1 Ad Nauseam

Matchups:
    UWR Landstill 2-0
    UWR Blade 2-1
    4c Loam 2-0
    Grixis Delver 2-0
    4c Loam 2-0
    Stax/MUD ID
    Moon Stompy ID

We split the top but I lost to Loam playing for some non-divisible prizes. Top-8 meta wasnt great with 2x MoonStompy, MUD, 2x ANT, Infect, Elves and Loam.

Nice! congrats, I was following the coverage more or less but no camera time for you this time am I correct? I planned to attend the event myself but couldnt do it in the end, maybe next time..

Have a general question for you guys. It revolves around how and when to exactly play Gitaxian Probe.
    Do you think thats a correct way to approach this? Or are there more things to it?
    I usually find the odds of efficient gameplan progress more valuable than perfect information, I save the Probe when stormcount might be an issue and need to build up the momentum w ToA in hand, or interesting GP+LED interaction
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

Nov 2011
    Madrid (Spain)

Hi guys,

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eyes Diamond
    1 Rain of Filth
    4 Duress
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Past in Flames
    1 Dark Petition
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB
    2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Fatal Push
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Xantid Swarm
    2 Ground Seal
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Night's Whispers
    1 Empty the Warrens

Grixis Delver:
    otp:
    otd:

UW Miracles:

Regards,
    Andreas

Against grixis delver I dont like Ground seal. I only side them vs snapcaster decks. Against drs just having spot removal is better.
    Also vs daze/wasteland decks I never remove a card that gives you mana. Led, cr, lp and so.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Once again, there is no formula for this one but playing it too fast is most likely worse than waiting a turn or two. Also there are many other situations, as Slosh said, where Probe can generate some nice lines or value.
    Also keep in mind that it's better to play it before BS on your turn to maximise the cards you see; I've seen many players on the SCG tour ignoring this line completely and ending up having mediocre Brainstorms.

Quote Originally Posted by Togores View Post
    Also vs daze/wasteland decks I never remove a card that gives you mana. Led, cr, lp and so.
    I'd say it's a matter of card value. LP is probably the weakest card and CR not particularly good against Grixis.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Thread Information