Thread: [Free Article] The Best Combo Deck in Legacy (hint: it's Dredge)

[Free Article] The Best Combo Deck in Legacy (hint: it's Dredge)

Short article on Legacy Dredge is up on SCG: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...ombo_Deck.html

I wanted to give some background on what happened when Faithless Looting was printed in terms of merging LED and non-LED Dredge. I said some negative things about this archetype in Legacy in the past, but metagame shifts and Faithless Looting have made me do a complete 180 in the past ~12 months.

Also linked to the excellent new Dredge primer up on this site in the appendix, which any Dredge fan should check out.
    Curious how I became a Magic writer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onR9Y...eature=channel

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Re: [Free Article] The Best Combo Deck in Legacy (hint: it's Dredge)

I see what you did there!

By posting an article about why Dredge is the best combo, you make it the worst combo! XD
    It's increadible how dredge is DTB today, and tomorrow it's not...
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Dredge might be the only deck in legacy that when it wins a Starcity open, the players don't bring it en masse to the next tournament.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Great article, as I've come to expect. I would love to see you write about Legacy more regularly again.

When I saw the title of your article on SCG, I immediately thought "he better be talking about Dredge", even though I don't personally run the deck myself. I don't think other combo decks are currently well positioned at all.

Don't know if you follow me on Twitter/read my tweet, so I'll just copy it here ^^
    @Voltron00x great article, though I feel Flayer>FKZ almost always. Also doesn't need another DR target, second target is always GGT. #mtg
    Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    look at this thread! It's a bunch of people complaining about this set because there are TOO MANY PLAYABLE CARDS OH GOD NO NOT THAT!!!!!!!!

Dredge is like a woman's period: Once a week every month, its fury engulfs everything, and then it hides for the rest of the month.

Kicker of Elves
    Jul 2008
    Kingston Ont. Canada

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Dredge is like a woman's period: Once a week every month, it's fury engulfs everything, and then it hides for the rest of the month.
    Sig'd
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Dredge is like a woman's period: Once a week every month, its fury engulfs everything, and then it hides for the rest of the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
    Should rename this thread to [SCD] Misguided Rage.

May 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Wereodile View Post
    Sig'd
    Sig'd

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Wereodile View Post
    Sig'd

Make sure to change "it's" to "its", so you don't make a fool of yourself.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Over the Bloodghasts right now I have Ashen ghoul. I'd like bloodghasts better if I had dakmor salvage somewhere, but if I am going to hit a land drop after I have dredged a little, I usually have the black for him. Unconditional haste has been pretty sweet for me, although admittedly haven't tried the bloodghasts yet.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

I think it's really a matter of taste. I'm not a fan of the Bloodghast plan because it involves an investment of having to have a land-drop to optimize its efficiency in addition to not being able to block a potentially lethal counterstrike. That sounds easy on paper, but it's a bit more situational than one would think.

I just think Ichorid outclasses it in every way, and if I were to run Bloodghasts, I'd go with a split. Anyhow, nice article!

May 2011
    Louisiana

Your sideboard is a trainwreck.

Outside of that, the article was very well written. Putting the highly regarded art of dredge Fu to shame.

Dec 2011
    USA

Any article about one of the deck's I push in legacy is always a great read, thank you. >^,^<
    Last edited by feline; 08-12-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

I think your list falls into a logical fallacy that Putrid Imp is any more a 4x than any other card in the deck, I mean I'd seriously 2-3xPutrid Imp before I 3xed Breakthrough, Careful Study, Cabal Therapy etc. Ask yourself this question, do you even bother to play Putrid Imp every time you draw it, and does it win you the game anywhere near as often as a draw spell would?

Yeah, I thought so.

Edit: Also you should never play FKZ before you play Sun Titan, or maybe now Griselbrand, because you're relying on your deck having the board position to justify Dread Returning over Golgari Grave-Troll in order to win on the same turn where Sun Titan will pretty much discard your hand, trigger 2 dredges, Mind Twist your opponent and improve your grave state always and if he doesn't go farming then you're going to do it all over again the next turn.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    I think your list falls into a logical fallacy that Putrid Imp is any more a 4x than any other card in the deck, I mean I'd seriously 2-3xPutrid Imp before I 3xed Breakthrough, Careful Study, Cabal Therapy etc. Ask yourself this question, do you even bother to play Putrid Imp every time you draw it, and does it win you the game anywhere near as often as a draw spell would?

Yeah, I thought so.
    PImp is a 2/2 flyer for B. He is great when you want to slow roll, or when you want to go broken on turn 2. When a card does everything you want all the time in every matchup, run 4

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    PImp is a 2/2 flyer for B. He is great when you want to slow roll, or when you want to go broken on turn 2. When a card does everything you want all the time in every matchup, run 4
    Seriously, who cares about a 2/2 Flyer for B in a combo deck? Most of what he does can be replaced by your discard phase, and Putrid Imp alone isn't enough to win the game where a Breakthrough or Careful Study often is.

He's pretty much in the deck to serve as Ichorid food and a Cephalid Coliseum enabler, not because he's amazing at everything.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Seriously, who cares about a 2/2 Flyer for B in a combo deck? Most of what he does can be replaced by your discard phase, and Putrid Imp alone isn't enough to win the game where a Breakthrough or Careful Study often is.

He's pretty much in the deck to serve as Ichorid food and a Cephalid Coliseum enabler, not because he's amazing at everything.
    Because you give yourself another avenue of attack when your combo either stalls out or gets hated in addition to being ichorid food and a CC enabler?

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Because you give yourself another avenue of attack when your combo either stalls out or gets hated in addition to being ichorid food and a CC enabler?
    I use to be of the same opinion, but after seeing the number of people who have put up numbers with those fruity 3 Dread Return/1 Flayer of the Hatebound lists I think the combo aspect of the deck is possibly good enough to just not give a fuck about the DDD grind anymore.

I just don't think cutting a Putrid Imp is any more sacreligious than cutting a Thug or Ichorid, 3xImp is fine if you want the space for a land or something to add consistency elsewhere.

Oct 2008
    Amherst

FinalFortune, I haven't played legacy in a while but I don't see how Sun Titan pitches my hand, dredges two, mind twists my opponent, and does it again next turn. Getting back Cephalid Coliseum seems good every turn, but where's the repeatable mind twist? Am I missing something?

How many people think Sun Titan is better than Flayer?

Thread Information