Thread: Cool Cats and Kittens (Kaheera companion with cats)

Cool Cats and Kittens (Kaheera companion with cats)

So I've yet to see much work done on the new companion Kaheera. There's a number of critter type options to try, but in honour of the show Tiger King I decided to try cats first. I considered a suppression field version too, it might be better. Thoughts?

Edit: gsz and arbiter don't work well...need to cut one.

4 leonin arbiter
    4 adorned pouncer
    4 king of the pride
    3 stalking leonin
    1 Lurrus of the Dream-Den
    2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    2 Pride Sovereign
    2 Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist
    1 alms collector
    2 leonin warleader
    1 Regal Caracal
    1 Frondland Felidar

4 chalice of the void
    2 trinisphere
    2 winds of abandon
    1 sword of fire and ice
    1 jitte

4 chrome mox
    2 karakas
    4 cavern of souls
    4 ancient tomb
    4 savannah
    2 forest
    3 plains

SB
    1 Kaheera
    4 rest in peace
    2 winds of abandon
    2 sorcerous spyglass
    2 null rod
    2 qasali pridemage
    2 thorn of amethyst
    Last edited by kinda; 04-22-2020 at 06:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Cool Cats and Kittens (Kaheera companion with cats)

Questing Beast is creature type beast. Kaheera works with beast too. I don’t think you’re restricted to just one of the creature types Kaheera identifies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Questing Beast is creature type beast. Kaheera works with beast too. I don’t think you’re restricted to just one of the creature types Kaheera identifies.
    Yeah I put him in the SB. Might be md worthy. The issue is between tomb and cavern double green is tough. I'll peruse through the other tribes when I'm bored. Something else might be better or possibly even a mix.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

It doesn't restrict you to only running permanents. It just says creature cards must be one of those types. Any of these cards are legal to play:

Brainstorm
    Force of Will
    Oko, Thief of Crowns
    Veil of Summer
    Arcum's Astrolabe
    Green Sun's Zenith
    Abrupt Decay
    Swords to Plowshares
    Sylvan Library
    Ponder
    Thoughtseize
    Cabal Therapy
    Spell Pierce
    Once Upon a Time

Unfortunately you can't play Young Pyromancer to make Elemental tokens, but other token generation should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    It doesn't restrict you to only running permanents. It just says creature cards must be one of those types. Any of these cards are legal to play:

Brainstorm
    Force of Will
    Oko, Thief of Crowns
    Veil of Summer
    Arcum's Astrolabe
    Green Sun's Zenith
    Abrupt Decay
    Swords to Plowshares
    Sylvan Library
    Ponder
    Thoughtseize
    Cabal Therapy
    Spell Pierce
    Once Upon a Time

Unfortunately you can't play Young Pyromancer to make Elemental tokens, but other token generation should be good.
    Yeah it could be built lots of different ways, which I quite like.

Winter Maze

Last edited by kinda; 04-24-2020 at 09:08 PM.

Winter Maze

ThrabenU played the cats tribal version in a league, pretty fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_hM65R770w .

Solnox is working on a version which uses multiple of the 5 critter types together in a good stuff stompy shell with chalice/suppression field/leonin arbiter followed up by shifting ceratops or questing beast.

Winter Maze

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Not sure why you wouldn't play like 3 Pridemage Maindeck. It's great with the double strike cat, it pins under chrome mox very well, and it's just a great all around card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Not sure why you wouldn't play like 3 Pridemage Maindeck. It's great with the double strike cat, it pins under chrome mox very well, and it's just a great all around card.
    Might be right, seems meh vs. delver though. They were md in the first try.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

Some creatures that work with Kaheera:

Steppe Lynx
    Wild Nacatl
    Prowling Serpopard
    Runic Armasaur
    Kinjalli's Sunwing
    Leonin Relic-Warder
    Voice of Resurgence

I also think Suppression Field will be strong in this meta of Baubles, multicolor greed, and Zirda. Especially if you can't run Collector Ouphe. Null Rod seems good in the SB. Runic Armasaur also draws a card off every fetchland and Karakas activation.

With Lynx + Loam Lion + Wild Nacatl you could push an aggro cats Zoo build. Otherwise the Suppression Stompy plan seems good, with payoffs like Questing Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Some creatures that work with Kaheera:

Steppe Lynx
    Wild Nacatl
    Prowling Serpopard
    Runic Armasaur
    Kinjalli's Sunwing
    Leonin Relic-Warder
    Voice of Resurgence

I also think Suppression Field will be strong in this meta of Baubles, multicolor greed, and Zirda. Especially if you can't run Collector Ouphe. Null Rod seems good in the SB. Runic Armasaur also draws a card off every fetchland and Karakas activation.

With Lynx + Loam Lion + Wild Nacatl you could push an aggro cats Zoo build. Otherwise the Suppression Stompy plan seems good, with payoffs like Questing Beast.
    Good ideas! King of the pride plus the one drop cats is quite the clock. Could throw in thorn for disruption.

Winter Maze

I think a stompy shell like the one in the OP is a good choice. I would ditch green, add some Thorn of Amethysts in the md, move up the lurrus count to 2 (just op, frankly) and add Mirror entity and maybe Adaptive Automaton.

how many quasali ambushers did you end up playing

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    how many quasali ambushers did you end up playing
    One, the mana really isn't good enough but still tried it.

Winter Maze

Suppression Field has always seemed so good on paper. I’d like seeing it find a home, since its home wouldn’t be quite like any existing deck.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    Suppression Field has always seemed so good on paper. I’d like seeing it find a home, since its home wouldn’t be quite like any existing deck.
    +1, I think mono white cats with suppression field could be decent. It would be like the mono w kytheon list, but bigger.

Winter Maze

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Would collected company make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Sep 2011

I don't see room for Coco. OUAT and GSZ are already a lot.

These are two directions I see.

Catggro

//Creatures: 26
    4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Loam Lion
    4 Wild Nacatl
    4 Voice of Resurgence
    4 Qasali Pridemage
    3 Prowling Serpopard
    2 Lurrus of the Dream-Den
    1 Brimaz, King of Oreskos

//Enchantments: 5
    3 Deafening Silence
    2 Sylvan Library

//Artifacts: 1
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

//Spells: 8
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Once Upon A Time

//Lands: 20
    2 Karakas
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    3 Arid Mesa
    3 Savannah
    1 Taiga
    1 Plateau
    1 Forest
    1 Plains

//Sideboard: 15
    1 Kaheera, the Orphanguard
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Return to Nature
    1 Abrade
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Council's Judgment
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Veil of Summer

GW aggro is usually soft to combo, so I put in the MD Silences. Postboard you can bring in Thalia + other tools, boarding out the 6 3-drops and declaring Lurrus as companion instead.

The other direction is the Suppression Field stompy version. Sadly Suppression Field is a nonbo with Ghost Quarter, which you normally want with Arbiter.

//Lands: 21
    3 Karakas
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    7 Snow-Covered Plains

//Articats: 11
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Thorn of the Amethyst

//Encatments: 4
    4 Suppression Field

//Felines: 21
    4 Leonin Arbiter
    4 Adorned Pouncer
    4 King of the Pride
    3 Stalking Leonin
    1 Lurrus of the Dream-Den
    1 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    2 Leonin Warleader
    2 Regal Caracal

//Spells: 3
    3 Winds of Abandon

//Sideboard: 15
    1 Kaheera, the Orphanguard
    2 Trinisphere
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    3 Rest in Peace
    1 Alms Collector
    1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    1 Null Rod
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Banishing Light
    2 Leyline of Sanctity

I like the steppe lynx list, it would be cool if zoo could get up to tier 2. I would make the SB thalias into thorns so you don't lose kaheera, plus path over swords.

I might try coco in paper, more likely in modern though.

Winter Maze

Winter Maze

Thread Information