Page 49 of 338 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] 12 Post

Re: [Deck] Turbo Eldrazi

Trying to find some placing decklists (i.e. on mtgtop8 and thecouncil.es), but I can't seem to find any. Has this deck not placed yet, or are those sites not properly classifying it.

Quote Originally Posted by maeltne View Post
    Trying to find some placing decklists (i.e. on mtgtop8 and thecouncil.es), but I can't seem to find any. Has this deck not placed yet, or are those sites not properly classifying it.
    It's Top8'ed multiple SCG Opens and has a following, but most places classify it as "12-Post", which may be where the confusion lies.

Quote Originally Posted by maeltne View Post
    The Council calls it Post Ramp: http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/tip...&format=Legacy

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

Won my Byes for GPT DC this last weekend, but only on a technicality. Lost to absurd draws against Jund in the finals, but he didn't want/need the byes

This is the version I ran:

// Lands
    4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    1 [WWK] Bojuka Bog
    1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
    2 [TSP] Vesuva
    4 [U] Tropical Island
    4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
    4 [MR] Cloudpost
    3 [ZEN] Island (8)
    1 [IA] Glacial Chasm
    1 [LG] Karakas
    1 [ON] Polluted Delta

// Creatures
    4 [M12] Primeval Titan
    1 [PRE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    2 [FD] Trinket Mage
    1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    1 [FUT] Venser, Shaper Savant

// Spells
    4 [UL] Crop Rotation
    4 [5E] Brainstorm
    4 [V09] Sensei's Divining Top
    3 [ZEN] Expedition Map
    3 [US] Show and Tell
    2 [AQ] Candelabra of Tawnos
    4 [GP] Repeal

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [US] Show and Tell
    SB: 4 [CMD] Flusterstorm
    SB: 4 [AL] Force of Will
    SB: 2 [EVE] Glen Elendra Archmage
    SB: 3 [THS] Swan Song
    SB: 1 [MR] Chalice of the Void

In the swiss I played against:
    "Oops all spells" -> Win. He turn 1 kills me. oops. Game 2, he pacts for esg, and I fluster his manamorphose so he scoops. Game 3, he knows I have swan song, but goes for an innocuous dark rit, I swan song it, and he scoops, knowing I have glen elendra, revealing multiple Rits and 2 spys that would've won through the swan song otherwise.
    "Tezzeret Control" -> Win. (with a deck misreg Game 1 loss thanks to writing "Glen Elendra" rather than "Glen Elendra Archmage" due to being rushed writing my list
    "Sneaky Show" -> Win. Game 1 He turn 2 Show & Tell'd Emrakul vs my Ulamog and lost his 3 permanents. Game 2 he went for an intuition-> Blood moon, that was swan song'd, and backed up with flusterstorm. Then incredible counterspell wall won it.
    "Belcher" -> ID, since I want belcher in the Top 8, and even if we lose the next round I get in.
    "Omni-Show" -> Win-ish. I win the match heartily. Game 1 he is cantripping into lands lands lands, not knowing I have venser ontop of my library with a SDT. But it isn't needed as I turn 4 Kozilek and he has a turn 5 kill one turn too late. Still unsure if the venser would've saved it. Game 2, I have the world's largest counterwar, allowing dream halls to stick (which I often do) and just riding out advantage against them. Instead of just beating him though, I am closely watching the match of Tim Harding, since I want him in the top 8. If Tim loses, I can attempt a dreamcrush, but if Tim wins, and gets in (with his superior tiebreakers) then I can be a nice guy and id, since he would get in anyway and I want to be in a separate tier from Tim, but would likely be in the same tier as omni. So when my opponent wants to concede due to me having 7 cards in hand, lethal on the board in many avenues, and him having 1 card in hand, I ask him to let me durdle while we see Tim's result. He allows it, and I don't attack to kill him for several turns, while developing my board, being a hamster in a wheel. Tim wins, so I offer a draw and he accepts.
    Top 8
    Quarterfinals: "Jund" -> Win. He admits to not having Liliana in the deck, the card that keeps me down the best, and it shows itself. I have double repeal for his goyf and I show and tell on turn 5 and titan simply takes it after some venser abuse. Game 2, he gets the nut draw. Thoughtseize into triple waste, double hymn (hitting 2x show and tell out of a 7 card hand that would've ended him next turn), followed by goyf, bob, bloodbraid, thoughseize. sass. Game 3, he mulls to 5, and I Show and Win.
    Semfinals: "Affinity" -> Win. he plays 8 cards on turn 1. ugg. Then swings for 13 on turn 2. uggg. Then I land a show and tell titan before he can do that again, chasm'ing, and winning it before he rips a tezz. Game 2, he plays 5 cards on turn 1, one of which is chalice on 1. BALLS. I gave him this advice a few weeks back, saying it hurts me more than armageddon. Sadly, it is true, my hand is 4 cmc 1 spells, show and tell, and 3 lands. I draw a show and tell, but fear the hell out of his hand he's holding back, as a blood moon/magus/archon will just end me. I eventually am forced to go for the show and tell due to pressure, and he has cmc 1 mana in his hand, thank goodness. I have to show and tell in an expedition map, to win the game next turn, which I do.
    Finals: "Jund" -> Loss. Game 1 he has triple waste in 5 turns with double goyf, bob, double hymn. brutal. Game 2, I keep on 2x repeal, 2x land, 2x show and tell, Fatty. He lays a drs, or I draw a brainstorm, map, land, or top and I win. None of those things happen for 8 turns. horrible.

I'm curious why some of the 'go to' land searching cards don't seem to be played.

I.e. Sylvan Scrying, Sakura Tribe Elder, Solemn Simulacrum, Knight of the Reliquary.

Is Top + Brainstorm + saclands/shuffle effects already enough?

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Crop Rotation and Expedition Map are just better here. I've seen mono green lists that use Sylvan though.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Jul 2013
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    Instead of just beating him though, I am closely watching the match of Tim Harding, since I want him in the top 8. If Tim loses, I can attempt a dreamcrush, but if Tim wins, and gets in (with his superior tiebreakers) then I can be a nice guy and id, since he would get in anyway and I want to be in a separate tier from Tim, but would likely be in the same tier as omni.
    Post player's gotta look out! Post v. Post GPT finals would've been legit.. except I never win the mirror..

Sweet win for Rock Lee. There was a lot of crazy stuff that afternoon, the 2 show and tell hymn rip incl, some pretty solid wins. I ripped my MD Forest one game when my only out was a green source, hilarious.

Yeah was able to get into the top 8 of the same GPT. Beat a few tough match ups which made me feel really great about my current list. However, I lost to Belcher both in the swiss and the first round of top 8. This is very frustrating because they were also my first two match losses to Belcher playing Post. My board was:

4 Force of Will
    4 Fluster Storm
    2 Swan Song
    2 Glen Elendra Archmage
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Glacial Chasm

[2 Trinket Main, 1 Needle - Main]

Even though with this board I still feel favored to win against Belcher. Some note worthy steps with the board plan have definitely softened the defense against the YOLO deck:

No Mindbreak Traps: There used to be 3-4, the card is tailor made for Belcher. But since swan song and other meta movements, the traps simply don't cover enough ground to legitimately compete for several spots that force of wills occupy. However, they were missed.

No Tabernacle: The majority of the losses were to the warrens. This left me with only a chasm path - which doesn't always (and didn't always) get there. I still don't think its good enough for a slot, maybe if pyromancer and goblins pick up. It'd probably be my 17th sideboard slot, after a 3rd Glen Elendra.

Chasm Side: Wrong side of the Chasm game this week. Left it in the board & I wanted it almost every match, but if you know this deck then I am preaching to the choir.

I also like to try to attack with chasm out, a lot.

Finals: "Jund" -> Loss. Game 1 he has triple waste in 5 turns with double goyf, bob, double hymn. brutal. Game 2, I keep on 2x repeal, 2x land, 2x show and tell, Fatty. He lays a drs, or I draw a brainstorm, map, land, or top and I win. None of those things happen for 8 turns. horrible.
    I've yet to grab a single game against that particular Jund player, and my matches played out strikingly similar. G1 relevant card slaughter and G2 my deck does nothing, probably too busy bandaging its ass after G1.

Which makes me want to do something about Jund.. but then we enter that conundrum of "how do I tune against a vanilla, flavorless, semi-auto pilot, aggro, occasional free-win deck" .. because you sort of don't.. but my subtle moves over the last few months because of it have been leaning on tops, maxing out on maps, two trinket mages, and 1 other 2/2 - usually oracle [which has been great], just to compete with advantage, block, and hope they abrupt decay something. What is everyone's Jund board plan, and plan in general?

Who is going to jam post at DC? We should meet up.

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by TimHarding View Post
    I've yet to grab a single game against that particular Jund player, and my matches played out strikingly similar. G1 relevant card slaughter and G2 my deck does nothing, probably too busy bandaging its ass after G1.

Which makes me want to do something about Jund.. but then we enter that conundrum of "how do I tune against a vanilla, flavorless, semi-auto pilot, aggro, occasional free-win deck" .. because you sort of don't.. but my subtle moves over the last few months because of it have been leaning on tops, maxing out on maps, two trinket mages, and 1 other 2/2 - usually oracle [which has been great], just to compete with advantage, block, and hope they abrupt decay something. What is everyone's Jund board plan, and plan in general?
    The best Jund card out there is Obstinate Baloth, which janky-as-it-is, I might consider. Having an even matchup against the deck is just too risky. Obstinate baloth would also come in against anything aggro'y, and could cause a basic forest to have some merit.

Nov 2007
    Finland

I wonder if you are playing that much against non-Griselbrand-combo that you really don't want Pithing Needle maindecked. To me it's one of the better cards in the deck as outside, say Omnitell and storm combo, it always hits something relevant to slow the game down to a more convenient pace for you. Be it Deathrite Shaman or Wasteland, Liliana or Grim Lavamancer. That's a whole bunch of Jund cards, by the way.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

I've had reasonable success with Pithing Needle and the threat of Oblivion Stone against Jund in the past, but the deck seems to have evolved beyond both of these. I still managed to lose to it at the GP by being hit with 7 Hymns in 3 games, but that's variance for you. The newer builds feel a lot more comboy than control to me, not yet sure what to think about that. I'll test your latest list this evening and see how I like it. Never been much of a fan of the Show and Tells before but they seem rather essential to the newer builds.

Apr 2008

As I mentioned several times in the past, decks you want pithing needle against run abrupt decay or don't care enough. Sneaky Show is a joke now with swan song, and omni/storm essentially has nothing to name. Pithing needle is a crutch no longer needed.

Nov 2007
    Finland

As I mentioned several times in the past, decks you want pithing needle against run abrupt decay or don't care enough. Sneaky Show is a joke now with swan song, and omni/storm essentially has nothing to name. Pithing needle is a crutch no longer needed.
    Apparently it is a somewhat meta sensitive card. I get too much value out of it to discard it. If someone Decay's my needle, it's one less decay for the Oblivion stones and candelabras, but Abrupt Decay in general is the least of my worries when playing this deck, even with needles in play. But I understand your reasoning and how it reflects your environment.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

The only reason to keep Pithing Needle in would be a Recurring Wasteland Engine like Life from the Loam or such but DRS and RIP pushed them out of the metagame. I doubt random Wastelands and Planeswalker warrant playing needle
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    The only reason to keep Pithing Needle in would be a Recurring Wasteland Engine like Life from the Loam or such but DRS and RIP pushed them out of the metagame. I doubt random Wastelands and Planeswalker warrant playing needle
    I would also keep it in main when expecting to face mostly Wasteland decks. Which I do. I agree with the part regarding random wastelands.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

With regard to Tim's SB, I wonder about the Jund matchup - could you move the Chasm main and use that spot for the miser's Needle in an Jund/aggro-heavy meta, or are there better options for shutting off Wastes?

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    I would also keep it in main when expecting to face mostly Wasteland decks. Which I do. I agree with the part regarding random wastelands.
    This is why Tim and I play 3+ basics. Waste recursion decks lose to Show and Tell, so you just land basics/vesuvas until you get to 3, and windmill fattie.

Jul 2013
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    With regard to Tim's SB, I wonder about the Jund matchup - could you move the Chasm main and use that spot for the miser's Needle in an Jund/aggro-heavy meta, or are there better options for shutting off Wastes?
    I agree and I do like the needle against Jund and that's why right now I have a needle in one of the more flexible MD slots. I don't play it as a crutch for any matchups, but rather as 1 of hedge removal/answer over repeal 4. It's often a 1 colorless mana vindicate, that will improve most board states. With two trinkets, the "answer" density greatly increases for little cost. I'll often tutor up to stop whatever they're developing - planeswalkers, equipment, vials, recur wastes - just as another avenue to buy time. I've really liked it in this role and it's won me far more games than lost. And yes it's an easy side out game 2-3 against omni and storm. But it's a solid end target against sneak and belcher, that I welcome. But it's definitely not like I'm planning on it or any number of them to answer waste. As rock lee said waste decks are beyond needle the best avenue is basics and manipulation to find a show and tell. Oracle is also nice here, and I am running 1 and enjoy it.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Jeremiah, this is definitely a late after thought and I meant to ask you this on site after your match. It's also quite a controversial topic in general.

At the DHG GPT in your top 8 match, why didn't you try to sneak some 1cc spells through his Chalice on 1? I'm pretty sure there's a newer rule in place that states that each player is responsible for their own triggers, so it can't really hurt to try and sneak something in there every few turns or so. Overall, it most likely wouldn't have changed the outcome of the match, but it's something to think about.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    Jeremiah, this is definitely a late after thought and I meant to ask you this on site after your match. It's also quite a controversial topic in general.

At the DHG GPT in your top 8 match, why didn't you try to sneak some 1cc spells through his Chalice on 1? I'm pretty sure there's a newer rule in place that states that each player is responsible for their own triggers, so it can't really hurt to try and sneak something in there every few turns or so. Overall, it most likely wouldn't have changed the outcome of the match, but it's something to think about.
    Should've. I am often blind to plays like this with the new rules, presuming my opponent is playing to their best.

Jul 2013
    CT

Some fun development: I moved 4 force and 3-4 other counters (fluster mostly) into the main, and upped the SnT to 4 and played with additional cantrips. It played like a much more stable version of sneak and show. With the curve on 3/6 rather than 3/5. The huge difference is that post loves the late game, whereas sneak can't keep the heat on. I used a sneak and show board - and leyline is nice ..

No conclusions here, just some food for thought.

Thread Information